Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 46 - Joan of Arc: Woman of Achievement (Bballman23)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 46 - Joan of Arc: Woman of Achievement (Bballman23)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/4/2009 14:10:31   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Joan of Arc: Woman of Achievement
by Bballman23

When thinking about women of achievement, I immediately look at those who have changed the course of history. When I do that, Joan of Arc immediately comes to mind. As anyone who has studied the Middle Ages should know, Joan of Arc fought against the English during the Hundred Years' War and was instrumental in driving out the English and putting France back under the control of a French king. When Joan was born to parents who farmed a small plot of land in eastern France, however, no one could have guessed what she would accomplish.

Joan grew up in the midst of a succession crisis in France: the prince and legal ruler, Charles VII, grappled with the English under Henry V and the powerful Burgundian dukes for control of the country. Despite living near to Burgundian territory, Joan and her parents lived in an area loyal to Charles VII - something Charles would no doubt learn to be thankful for. From an early age, Joan claimed to hear the voice of French saints and God himself, calling for her to drive the English out of their lands. At the age of sixteen, therefore, she sought entry into the military.

Joan's first attempts to join the fighting failed: in that age, women were not involved in fighting. After she miraculously predicted a surprising French victory, Joan gained support from several influential men and she was brought before the dauphin (prince) himself. Charles VII was impressed with the aspiring female soldier, and allowed Joan to join the French army at Orleans. She again struggled with prejudice at Orleans, but persisted and took great part in many war councils and planning, finally leading an aggressive charge that ended the siege in a vital French victory. Historians quarrel about Joan's true role in the battle - some call her a mere symbol and others a brilliant strategist - but all acknowledge her heroism in leading the final charge despite a neck injury.

Joan's rise to prominence at Orlean as a rallying point and leader transformed a kings' war into a peasants' war, and her appearance marked the turning point of the war: after her, the English would lose rather than gain land in France, and the Burgundians would come to join the French in ending the English invasion. With her victories at Orleans and after, Joan likely saved France from being completely absorbed by England, something that rightfully makes her a national saint and heroine of the country. For her great contributions and sacrifices (after a later battle, Joan would be captured by Burgundian soldiers and burned as a witch by the English) in the name of France, the "Maiden of Orleans," is certainly a woman of achievement. However, was this achievement all positive?

After the end of the Hundred Years' War in 1453, England and France (in their various incarnations such as Great Britain, the French Republic, etc.) fought each other in a total of ten major conflicts, and countless other smaller wars, in which hundreds of thousands of people perished. Despite the constant conflict and killing, however, the two nations' borders remain essentially the same today as they were on the eve of the Hundred Years' War! All the human life, time, and money that went into fighting resulted in nothing different than the two countries present in 1336, so it's fascinating to wonder what a combined England and France would have accomplished.

This "Englance," as I like to call it, could have achieved great things, peacefully controlling turbulent European politics with its unity rather than doing horrendous things in order to defeat the rival across the Channel. A lack of competition might have prevented - or at least changed dramatically - the violent colonization and then independence of the Americas, the "Scramble for Africa," and imperialism in Asia, and the world would be a vastly different place.

Of course, I could be totally wrong: Englance could have expended just as much time fighting Germain (Germany-Spain) and Swedenay (Sweden-Denmark-Norway), and their wars might have devastated the world more than France's and England's. This history geek, though, would love to see a world without the effects of St. Joan of Arc - woman of achievement or not!

Readers: If you want to argue, discuss, or marvel at my take on history, please don't hesitate to do so! There are many different ways to look at Joan and an "Englance," but I didn't want to go bore those not historically inclined with too many details. My PM inbox on the forums is always open, as is the article's thread on The Zardian forum.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
9/4/2009 14:31:54   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

You have a very good summary of her life here, but the feature which I enjoyed most about your article was the speculation of what might have become of an "Englance." I find alternative history theories and narratives to be quite interesting, and yours was by far no exception. I still am quite impressed by her life story; one of the most poignant events to me was her death, in which an English soldier remarked, "My God, we have killed a saint."
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
9/11/2009 11:38:52   
Wallo
Legendary AdventureGuide

See, "Englance" very nearly happened in the 1950s. Just after the war, both Britain and France were in ruins, their empires were collapsing, the Suez War was raging and the Americans had taken the crown of world superpower. In the middle of all this, the French Prime Ministr Guy Mollet proposed to British PM Anthony Eden that France and Britain would combine, with Elizabeth II as Head of State. Alternatively, France would join the Commonwealth. Anthony Eden rejected this and thus France went off and laid the foundations with other European countries for the EU with the Treaty of Rome.
This should have happened. Although France and Britain are strong countries who are trying to make up for their terrible pasts (although the pointless imperialist excursions into Iraq and Afghanistan baffle me), Frangleterre would be able to achieve so much more good in the world, and could possibly result in a strengthened Europe to oppose the United States' worst ventures.

Also, your "Swedenay" did actually happen in the 1300s, and lasted until the 1500s. So it isn't entirely impossible. Also, if the Spanish Wars of the 1700s went better for Spain, we very may well have seen a Spanish Germany.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
9/17/2009 2:04:35   
Baker

@CF: Thanks. :) I'd actually had almost the whole article about the alternate history, but figured we should have some more of her life in an article about her. That's a great quote... figures I wouldn't put it in there. >.>

@Wallo: Wow, I've never heard of the proposed 50's union at all (studying Modern Euro next year!): that would have been fascinating, especially, as you say, as a counter to American domination of the West. To my understanding, though, Elizabeth doesn't have any real power as nominal Head of State, so would her being Queen of France as well change anything? It doesn't seem like she (or England) directly controls any of the Commonwealth states, so I wonder what the status of a France in the Commonwealth would have been. Of course, you also post with more elegant wording than I used: "Frangleterre" is much better than "Englance"!

I knew about the Kalmar Union (although it was more decentralized than I imagine Englance being), as well as Charles V's empire, but figured that throwing those details in there might have been too much history for the one article. Both real-life instances do show how powerful and problem-causing such unions can be, but also perhaps that they are bound to fail unless united by common conflict or particularly strong rulers.

Thanks for commenting, you two... sorry for taking so long to respond.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
9/18/2009 16:55:59   
Wallo
Legendary AdventureGuide

From what I see, the Queen's only role as head of state is to sign Parliamentiary bills into British law. Technically, she could dissolve Parliament at any time or refuse to sign a law (Royal Perogative), but if she did this, the Monarchy would be destroyed and the UK would become The Commonwealth of Britain or something. It does provide a defence against fascism though, which is neat. But ultimately, if Elizabeth was Queen of France, the situation would not be very different from today, apart from that Frangleterre would be bilungual and Parliament would be based probably in a new building/city instead of being based in London/Paris. Also, seeing as the Commonwealth is not a political or economic union in any shape or form, France would just be a member of it. It would lead to improved Franco-British relations, but that's about it really. I do wish it happened though.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 46 - Joan of Arc: Woman of Achievement (Bballman23)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition