Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 47 - On Alchemy and Classes (Cow Face)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - On Alchemy and Classes (Cow Face)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/5/2009 14:29:28   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

On Alchemy and Classes
By Cow Face, at Reens' Alchemy Shop

Alchemy is an art which has become near and dear to warriors, rogues and mages alike. While it is typically known best for attempting to transform metals into gold, it has various other practical uses.* Mana and Health potions have often been the savior in a battle, when used strategically. One of the main benefits of alchemy, however, is its versatility for learners.

We can summarize the three main classes of fighters into baseless generalizations. First, Mages. Mages are intelligent scholars who do not put an emphasis on being physically fit. Also, despite their high intelligence (INT) attribute, they lack much common sense (CMNSNS). Of course, this is a typical shortcoming of all heroes and heroines in Lore. Alchemy is typically a rather magically oriented skill, so it may be expected that Mages would have an easy time learning it.

Rogues are sneaky fighters who do everything they can to win without getting hurt. They put more emphasis on physical fitness than Mages, but they typically are not as bright. Clever, perhaps, but not as bright as Mages. They have a high Street Smart (STRTSMRT) attribute, which often compensates for this. However, they still suffer a CMNSNS detriment, because they tend to say things when attempting to sneak around. They would naturally have to learn some Alchemy, however; most carry an extra Health potion or so with them in case the big, nasty Sneevil manages to hit them.

Warriors are a more basic class. Their solution for things is to smash things up with a hammer. Or a sword. Or a mace. Or a TurDraken drumstick.** They tend to have high Strength (STR) and low Philosophy (PHLSPHY) attributes. In example of this, a noted warrior once remarked, "I think that I shall never see / A monster that can defeat me." Regretfully, he lost to a small horde of Seed Spitters soon after. Given their more direct attack style, it makes sense that they would need to keep some potions on hand, and increase their potency.

This information, though, can be gleaned by anyone.*** What I needed was an insiders' view... a literary view. And something to eat.

Reens, a notable alchemist of Falconreach, kindly invited me to sit with her in her library. Among her alchemical ingredients and apparatus was a wide variety of books. There we discussed alchemy, literature, and its natural accompaniment, dessert.

CF: Hello! Thank you for your granting me this interview.
R: No problem! Just let me finish up this titration... there. All done.

CF: If you keep up with affairs on Terra, you might be aware that there, it is the month for books and desserts. With such a library as this, you have likely read a wide variety of genres. Which is your favorite?
R: I would have to say Fantasy. I spend all day working with scientific methods and being very precise, so I like to relax when I'm done :D

CF: Mm, I can understand that. Do you have a favorite author? If so, what series or book do you like best from them?
R: I'd have to say that I like Kim Harrison - all of the Rachel Morgan series. I do have a soft spot in my heart for David Eddings, though, the Belgariad was really the first Fantasy series that I remember reading. And I just LOVE Althalus and Belgarath as characters. :D

CF: Sounds like an interesting series! If you would allow me, I would like to examine the shelves here; I think the readers would be interested in seeing an alchemist's books.
R: Feel free! The best thing about books is that you can share them.

CF: This looks intriguing: Treatise of Ingredients. For the readers' benefit, I will read a section from it. "One ingredient sometimes avoided by novices is the Mushy Mushroom. The possible cause of this is the fungus is not particularly appealing in appearance. It is somewhat plain-looking, not something that often comes into effect in the art of alchemy. Also, much like its name, its texture is not entirely pleasant. The location of the ingredient can also be troubling; it is found only in caves, often those inhabited by basilisks." When you started in your career, were there any ingredients which you avoided?
R: I would have to say that the main ingredient that I would buy as opposed to gather myself would be the missletoo. It's a small, bird-shaped berry that grows at the very top of the pines by the Dwarfhold Mountains. I don't have a great head for heights.

CF: Another title that strikes me is a how-to book: How To Incorporate Metal Into Your Potions. I'm not entirely sure what the benefits of this would be, so for both the readers' and my own sake, I'll take a look. "Certain potions undergo chemical reactions when applied to metal; this can be observed by dripping acid onto a blade. Beyond corrosive effects, however, there lies a great range of possible effects. A small amount of common iron, for instance, when dissolved in a basic health potion, can act beneficially toward an individual's health. The alchemist must remember, however, that too much of a good thing is still too much. One must never put so much in as to make it a full metal alchemy experiment." If I may ask, do you commonly import nontraditional ingredients into your potions?
R: I always include one drop of vanilla, mainly because I like the taste. Health potions don't have to taste nasty, just because they're good for you.

CF: Really? That explains a whole bunch! Now, an alchemist is often creating consumables. Potions, however, aren't always the tastiest. During your long days of potion brewing, what dessert do you like to snack upon?
R: Hmm... It can be pretty dangerous to have food in my lab - things DO spill now and again, and I'd rather not eat some of the stuff I brew up. I do really like to keep some nice grapes in the fridge, though. Grapes and yogurt is an awesome snack. Dessert, though, well... anything chocolate. :D The best has to be a good old gooey, warm, straight from the oven chocolate chip cookie (or 4).

CF: Ooh, cookies sound wonderful. Could you please supply us with the recipe for that?
R: I'd love to!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup chocolate syrup
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (11.5 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Directions:
1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2.In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, chocolate syrup, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the corn syrup and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the chocolate chunks by hand. Drop cookies by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased
cookie sheets.
3.Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Now, I always tend to cook mine just a little less than most recipes call for. About 9-11 minutes works well. That way they stay softer. And they're best heated up juuuust a little for the just-from-the-oven taste.

CF: I'll have to try that some time. Thank you again for your time! I hope that all future experiments go well for you.
R: Thanks! Now... would you like some cookies?

With new knowledge in my brain and fresh cookies in my stomach, I set out again. I hope that you, the reader, have found this to be an enlightening insight into the mysterious, delicious art of alchemy.

**The editor would like to note that the reporter's generalizations regarding each base class of hero does not in any way, shape or form, reflect the opinions and thoughts of the Zardian. Especially the thoughts regarding Rogues.
~Eukara, Ezine Co-editor. **
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/7/2009 19:03:19   
Deathwalker

Is this a real recipe? Or are you just trying to poison me, Cow Face?
DF AQW  Post #: 2
10/19/2009 13:51:49   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

I would say it is; Reens supplied it, and she makes deeeelicious potions.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
10/21/2009 21:51:14   
Randomnity

Fullmetal Alchemist ftw!
AQ  Post #: 4
10/28/2009 8:40:40   
Kinzdor

yum must be healthy deastert
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - On Alchemy and Classes (Cow Face)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition