Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 47 - William Takes on the Loremaster! (Falerin)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - William Takes on the Loremaster! (Falerin)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/5/2009 14:30:11   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

William Takes on the Loremaster!
by Falerin

I entered that quaint little Cafe on my trip to Manhattan thinking nothing of it. This place, Edgar's, is located on 84th street in New York City, away from much of the bustle of Times Square, Greenwich Village, Soho, Little Italy, and China Town.

"255," I said, noting the architecture inside and out had a somewhat creepy demeanor. The interior was decidedly gothic and gloomy. Yet, it had a very lush feel to it as well, with deep wood tones dominating. The ceiling was particularly interesting. I looked toward the door and the far wall where the large portrait dominated. "Help Wanted," a small sign proclaimed in the doorway; even this was written in a dreary font with cobwebs drawn in the corners.

I loved every minute of it. This place is called Edgar's as a tribute to Edgar Allen Poe. It is attested that Poe spent much time here and in this very space his seminal "The Raven" was purportedly penned. Poe had many places he touched, with Manhattan, Baltimore, Maryland and Upstate New York among them. The portrait. of course. was of Poe himself; a mark firm upon the place and upon the visitor's psyche. I did not drink the verdant absinthe that Poe so enjoyed. Even though it has been since proven that absinthe is perfectly safe, and does not have nearly the properties fanatics once ascribed to it, the beverage is hard to come by.

Instead, I had a delightful coffee and then turned to the dessert menu.

The desert I enjoyed there was the most exquisite Panna Cotta and a Hazelnut Gelato to die for. At the end of my visit, I went to the Cafe counter to pay and the smell of chocolate mint drops overwhelmed my senses. On the counter sat a leather-bound copy of "The Raven". I glanced at it carefully, and then unthinking, cracked open the leather cover. The scent of gilded bond and sound of creaking aged leather for a moment overshadowed that mint smell for the briefest of times. I looked down, entranced, even as my mind subconsciously registered that the chocolate mint smell had returned more intensely than before and was growing more pronounced with each passing moment.

The inscription started with two initials - F.A. These had been written in an ornate and elaborate cursive on the first inside leaf of the book. The ink was a sharp red against the faded vellum. I wondered idly what form of ink did not fade in the hundred plus years since this inscription had been written.

I inhaled deeply, expecting to smell that old book smell which so firmly dominated bookstores and old libraries. I had worked at a library that dealt in ancient texts for two years, so I knew the smell well enough. Instead, I was greeted with that strong smell of chocolate and mint.

My curiosity over the book overwhelmed me and I looked down to finish reading the inscription.

---

Enjoyed the trip immensely, though, my circle thinks it is madness when I tell them of the things you and E. showed me.
This volume is my latest work. Trying to turn my grief to purpose, I took my inspiration from her imminent loss, as you suggested.

While it seems morbid to dwell upon that which has not yet occurred, and while I am trying not to allow the scandal to upset me too thoroughly,

I fear I cannot escape its grip.

One so vital, so reduced to her state of consuming grief, it is unimaginable.

I drew also upon the work of Dickens. You undoubtedly know the piece for in there, as in here, the rook speaks. As to the meter, your suggested meter was strong but I found a stronger meter and sense of purpose in the works of Browning, the Lady, not her husband.
You have doubtless read my review and I feel sure you will understand.

Yours with deep fondness,

Edgar.

----

"An autographed copy... Curious that a full volume would be dedicated to just 'The Raven'. What else might it contain?" I mused even as I began looking up and staring into his odd blue eyes. He was listening to some Nightwish on his MP3 player and had a cookie tray with those mint drops in his hands. The smell of chocolate and mint again captured my senses. How had I not heard him approach?

I felt a chill unbidden.

"... But ..." I stammered weakly, feeling almost as if I was Fortunato and Montressor was walling me up behind his new construction. Yet the wall was in my mind, surely.

My mind, now there was the ultimate traitor, for even in my astonishment it drifted, a result of my Asperger's Syndrome and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder no doubt. My mind, as tangential as always, called to mind that Vincent Price had played Fortunato in the film rendition, and that the story had been altered to include a cat that proves Montressor's undoing.

From here I jumped, quite naturally, to the fact that some friends thinking that I looked in my youth like a young Price during the era of the filming of "The House of Haunted Hill" and "The House of Usher" called me Vince as a nickname. Even as these two films came to mind the circle completed, The House of Usher, which too was based on Poe's work; The Fall of The House of Usher, to be precise.

All of this happened in a fleeting moment even as my mind struggled to comprehend the incomprehensible spectre with which I was confronted. The outrageously ridiculous apparition that was here before me in that place could of course not be real. He was just miasma; surely he would not speak and prove himself more than just a visual disturbance.

"You really should not be reading other peoples books and private inscriptions, sir."

I looked at his eyes which had shifted then to that clear green shade. His attire was an apron. "Kiss the Cook," it proclaimed.

"This is impossible..."

"In an infinite universe, with infinite time, ALL things are possible," he responded.

His words caused another chill an echo of my own words back at me.

"Edgar was a very delightful sort. You really should not be touching other people's property, however."

"This cannot be..."

"A bit 'creeped' are we..." he trailed off, his pause causing a deep impenetrable silence for a passing moment before he uttered his next words, words that even greater disturbed me, "Dhe Ehmn?"

The bottom dropped out of my equilibrium. I became entirely flustered by this response and by the impossible nature of his words. I felt my pulse race and heard my own thud-thud-thudding heartbeat in my temples. I was called to mind of another Poe tale for a moment. A man driven by his dark impulses, seeks personal gain in foul murder, and is instead swallowed by his own guilt and madness. "The Tell-Tale Heart" was the title; but what might my own heart be telling me, in that Manhattan Cafe? The experience was so alien that I may as well have stepped into another world. Ah, but that was not quite right was it. No, indeed, it was quite nearly the direct opposite. Struggling a bit, I regained my composure, but not my poise... How could I respond to such an impossible moment...?

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I always did have a fondness for Terra, and Manhattan in particular. You know that quite well."

I drew a breath and blinked for the minute hand on the clock jumped in my perception by three minutes. I looked at the counter, and the book and tray were gone, as was that phantasm.

"Are you ready to pay sir?" the waitress asked sweetly.

A dream, just a fleeting memory. It was, merely, the shop getting to my imagination. "I am," I responded.

"Did you enjoy your dessert?"

"I did," I responded, and handed her my bank card. My still, clipped responses seeming odd even to me. I was deeply shaken.

She returned the card and the slip to sign and then pulled up a small white shop bag from behind the counter.

"What's this?" I asked looking in at the twine-wrapped bakery box inside.

"Your chocolate mint chip drops sir... fresh made..."

"I did not order...." I began flustered. Was I that out of my element that I did not notice an additional charge being placed upon my bill? She placed a hand up silencing me.

"On the house," she said with a smile.

I wandered out of Edgar's with an involuntary shiver. Yet, I knew I would return. I love that Cafe!

Mint Chip Drops

3/4 cup demerara sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate mini chips.
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter, unsalted, softened
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon spearmint extract
2 large eggs

Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, into a small bowl. Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Stir chips into this mixture. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat dry mixture to the wet bowl.

Drop by 1 rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets. Leave at least an inch and a half between each drop cookie.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/5/2009 17:16:48   
Anon Y. Mous
Creative!

I liked this a lot. I didn't know who the person was, though...
DF  Post #: 2
10/6/2009 12:47:01   
Falerin
Legendary Loremaster

William is the Author beyond the Character of Falerin. Which adds a level to it don't you think.
Post #: 3
10/6/2009 17:22:01   
Anon Y. Mous
Creative!

Yeah... Makes it a lot deeper.
Good stuff.
DF  Post #: 4
10/10/2009 6:47:38   
qbsuperstar03

I never would have pegged you as an Aspie. Join me and we shall rule the...wait, is that a flying monkey outside my window?

Gah...pulling this all-nighter after one can each of DP and Mountain Dew Game Fuel is probably starting to take its toll on whatever's left of my sanity, not to mention the mind-rape factor of the man behind the character managing to wriggle his way in.

< Message edited by qbsuperstar03 -- 10/10/2009 6:49:07 >
AQ DF  Post #: 5
10/15/2009 2:09:43   
Falerin
Legendary Loremaster

Aspies surround me on all fronts it seems.
Post #: 6
10/15/2009 10:02:52   
xehanort

You can say that again *Is an aspie as well*

Flying monkey? Where?
AQ DF  Post #: 7
10/28/2009 8:46:08   
Kinzdor

oh this arctile it the best and kinde freakey when you think about it and i am the flying monkey
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - William Takes on the Loremaster! (Falerin)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition