Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 47 - A Knight's Delight (Bballman23)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - A Knight's Delight (Bballman23)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/5/2009 14:34:53   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

A Knight's Delights: Aelthai
by Bballman

I ducked into the Inn, nodding to Hans and Yulgar behind the counter and scanned the lounge beyond them. Spotting a flash of pink hair at one of the tables, I nudged past Sage Uldor and Aquella - both of whom stood, waiting to talk to me - and walked over to the table where Aelthai sat sipping her drink. She watched me walk over, then called out when I'm in earshot.

"Ah, Bballman, there you are."

Although surprised that she remembered me, I'm able to respond. "Yes, Miss Fixit, sorry for being late. I assumed you would be outside like usual."

"Oh, no, I'm on break. You have to let me balance work and relaxation if you expect me to balance all of Lore, you know," she said, as I nodded. "Anyway, are you ready to go? Don't you need a notebook or something to write things down?"

"I'm actually okay without one. A certain dragonfly 'goddess' taught me a way to record things without writing them down," I said.

Aelthai smiled, finished off her drink, and stood. I expected her to lead me out the door to her home, but instead she began up the stairs to the second floor of the Inn. We walked past the plopping sounds coming out of the restroom ("Morning showers are interesting," Aelthai said) and entered Room 1012, next to the mysterious Room 42.

Aelthai's abode in Battleon was small, decorated classic Yulgar: wood with some weapon undertones thrown in for good measure. A bed, a table with two chairs and a reading lamp, a dresser, an empty armor stand, a small window overlooking Battleon, and a bookcase completed the view; clearly this was not Aelthai's permanent home. I didn't take offense at not being invited to her home - she clearly trusted me, everyone trusts the press - and decided to get about the interview.

I asked general questions, inquiring about her business in Battleon and her work on Lore, but soon move on to my mission - books and, of course, dessert. With her permission, I took a look at the room's bookcase. Only one shelf held books, of which three catch my eye. The first was a thick, worn, plainly bound volume entitled A Guide to the Flora of Dark Forests with Emphasis on Darkovia and Methods of Resisting their Inhabitants. Next, I found a book called By Schism Rent Asunder, bound between hard pieces of some sort of wood, sporting a fanciful cover of an armored man surrounded by fantastic lights and colors. The third book was a blank bound book; the print on the cover had an initial date, a dash, but there was an empty space where the ending date should have been noted. These books intrigued me, as, other than the Scholars, most Battleonians were only interested in books that instantly make them smarter or more charismatic, and I decided to ask about each in turn.

Miss Fixit described the Guide as a "fairly decent compilation of several previous works on Darkovian plant life" which missed some things, and declared her intention to verify certain reports if she could. (If any of our readers are interested in the book, Aelthai also says to "ignore the last three chapters, as his solutions to avoiding vampirism and lycanthropy either before or after the fact are completely worthless.") Thinking of our last quest together and noting that even the book, stained deep brown-red in places (I am assured the stains are a natural dye from the forest) and scuffed, didn't make it through Darkovia unscathed, I promised to read a copy of her revised version when it's done and moved on to the unlabeled book.

This, she explained, was simply a blank journal she used to record her thoughts, observations, and notes, and the date on the cover is the starting date of that particular book. As tempted as I am to read into the mind of one of the fabled Knights, I committed this to memory and asked about the final book.

"By Schism Rent Asunder... I've heard of that, but it's so rare," I lied, determined not to be outdone by even this traveler. "Where'd you get it?"

"Oh, you've heard of it, have you?" she said, a smile in her eyes. "The oddest things seem to end up on Lore."

"Ah, indeed." I nodded sagely, turning the book over in my hands and watching the light coming through the window reflect off the illustration on the front. I scanned the paragraph of babble on the back as Aelthai stood smiling at me, then slid the book back into the bookcase. "Okay, I think I've got everything I need on the book front. Is it safe to assume you're most interested in nonfiction about Lore?"

"Mostly, yes, at least that's all the useful writing I read. I enjoy what others call science fiction and fantasy, as you can see from By Schism Rent Asunder there."

Science fiction and fantasy, I thought.Ah, she enjoys magic. That's why the Knights haven't balanced mages yet**. I filed this information away for later Inn gossip and asked my final question.

"Any dessert recipes you'd like to share with the readers?"

"Well, my favorite is Zephyros's chocolate truffles, but I'd rather not give that recipe away without permission. I do have an alternative, though, which I've written down for you in case your memory trick fails you," Aelthai said, handing me a scrap of paper with a recipe on it.

I tucked the sheet into my pocket, and we headed down the stairs and out of the Inn. I parted ways with Aelthai, as she prepared her potion bag and took up her pose, said goodbye and began the walk to Zardian headquarters. Along the way, I read Aelthai's recipe. The thing meant nothing to me, but I still used Firezards for most of my cooking needs. Microwaves, baking, and plastic must be new Drakel inventions. Hopefully, the recipe will mean something to you.

"Peanut butter fudge

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered (confectioner's) sugar
NOTE: you can substitute in brown sugar for some or all of the powdered sugar if desired. This will increase the flavor, but the fudge will be gritty.

Directions
Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes. Stir and microwave for 2 more minutes. (Be careful, this is HOT.) If using brown sugar, break up any lumps. Add vanilla and sugar and stir. Pour onto a cookie sheet (or large baking dish) covered in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Place a second piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap on the surface of the fudge and refrigerate until cool. Cut into pieces."

**"Fantasy includes the Warrior as much as the Mage. Please try another theory. ~Aelthai"
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/25/2009 15:28:53   
Kinzdor

yes but she likes the mage more oh and good arctle i will go make some chocolate truffles

Three smileys only in a post, please. ~Eukara

< Message edited by Eukara -- 10/27/2009 8:30:00 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - A Knight's Delight (Bballman23)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition