Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 47 - Recovery and Planning (Eukara)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - Recovery and Planning (Eukara)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/5/2009 14:36:29   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Recovery and Planning
by Eukara

The sun filtered through the only fancy item that Chrysa owned, the stained glass window of her study. Patterns of color danced across the floor and Chrysa's clothing, creating unique and beautiful combinations. It had been days since they returned from Africa, yet she still felt weak and disjointed. The bond between her and Talvan was slow to return, which worried her. Their time was spent recovering, though Talvan was more energetic and mobile than Chrysa. It seemed that Chrysa was doomed to sitting in her plush chair for eternity.

Thankfully, the chair was surrounded by shelves filled with books of just about every subject imaginable. She was in a happy place, with Talvan currently asleep across her feet. Shaking her head, Chrysa looked once more at Talvan. She grew so much while we searched for her. And I missed it. At this rate, I will need to renovate her den. Diren entered the den, a small plate in hand and a glass of milk in another. Setting it down on the table beside her chair, he smiled at her and awaited further requests.

"You don't really have to do this, you know. I am sure getting up and moving around would be fine." Chrysa hid her satisfaction at being waited on.

"No, Chrysa, the doctor said that you must rest and I intend on making sure you obey him." Diren nodded emphatically, as if to punctuate his authority on the matter.

He thinks he has control of the situation. Talvan lifted her head slightly and looked at Diren.

Let him. He is only doing what he thinks is best. I have no problem with this, neither should you. Besides, I smell chocolate. Chrysa smiled and looked up at Diren. "Well, if you insist..."

"Yes, I do insist. So, what book do you want from your shelves? Commitment Hour, Complete Book of Swords, Earth..."

"I would like my Big Book of Mythological Creatures. Somehow, it is behind the bookcase across the room. I guess whoever was watching the house while we were gone put it back there." Chrysa moved to get up, but Diren put his hand on her shoulder.

"I will get it." He groaned and walked over to the bookcase. Slowly, he pulled it from its hiding place and headed back to Chrysa. "Are you sure there is no other book you would rather read? I mean what about one of the books in the Crown of Stars series? Or Ancient Chores?"

"No, no, my creature book will do. I think it would be nice to plan out our next trip." Chrysa didn't see Diren balk as she opened up her book and began to thumb through the pages. "Now, let's see... I can always travel back to Brazil and investigate Amphitheres more. Though, there are some other really interesting creatures down there too. Or, you know, Satyrs would be interesting."

"How about Mysteries of Mankind or Vanishing Eden? Those would be wonderful books to read instead of that one..."

"I wonder... Should we return to Africa, Talvan?"

If we do, I don't want to go back to the Wyverns just yet. I am still perturbed at Niske. Talvan yawned. He wasn't the most polite individual I have ever met.

"Or..." Diren continued as he sought out a section of the bookcase that he found interesting. "Wild Ocean, Jacque Cousteau's The Ocean World, The Sun... oh, here is Reptiles and Amphibians. That one has such beautiful photos. You can always take up botany again. Here is your Vascular Plant Taxonomy textbook."

Chrysa thumbed through her book; her focus so directed that she didn't hear Diren. Oooh, here is an interesting creature, the Encantato. It's a Brazilian creature, fascinating too. It's almost like the Selkies of Gaelic origin.

Lifting her head, Talvan looked at Chrysa carefully. You did say Selkies... not Kelpies right?

I said Selkies, Heart-sister, so no worries. There is also the Harpies. I have always wanted to know if the Greeks overdid their fierceness. Chrysa giggles lightly, imagining actually finding the elusive sisters and discovering that they were nothing like the books say.

Diren watched both Chrysa and Talvan. He knew, knew, they were plotting the next trip and it irked him that it was done in silence. Narrowing his eyes at the pair, he also knew why they were planning in silence. He probably would have objected a hundred times by now.

"If you are looking for something a bit more up unconventional, let's see what these shelves have. To Seek Out New Life: The Biology of Star Trek and Star Trek Encyclopedia - I don't want to know... Um, well here's Egyptian Mythology, How to Read Egyptian, The Norse Myths, Land of the Dragon: Chinese Mythology, Realm of the Rising Sun: Japanese Mythology... "

Harpies are bad things? Why on earth would you want to go intentionally seeking out Harpies? That seems a bit insane. Talvan huffed a crystalline cloud of frozen water vapor.

"I could say anything right now and you wouldn't even know it." Diren re-shelved the books and left the room to address the loud beeping of the stove. "I could say the house was on fire and you wouldn't care!" he called over his shoulder.

But... Come on Talvan! Didn't we set out to debunk this book? So far, we have found inconsistencies and mistakes. What if everyone was wrong about Harpies? Chrysa looked down at her dragon, pleading.

True, but it is taking a big risk. Talvan laid her head back on her forepaws. Besides, I don't think Diren will tolerate you putting yourself in danger again.

Diren? What do you mean?"

The smell of cream cheese and sugar filled the air as Diren returned from the kitchen. Steam rose from the platter of baked goods, and he set them down next to Chrysa. "I thought that these Sopapilla Cheese Cake bites would be something good to eat while you read."

"Mmmm, they smell delicious. It's been a while since I have eaten these. Thanks, Diren." Her smile momentarily melted Diren and he sighed.

Tell me you saw that, Chrysa. Talvan adjusted her sleeping position, leaning more heavily against her rider's legs.

Saw what? Stop playing games, Talvan, and just tell me! Diren scooped a few of the bites onto a plate and handed it to Chrysa, then set the serving tray on the table. Chrysa took a bite and sank a bit lower in her chair. "Simply heavenly!"

"So, are you done with your Big Book yet? I see several books up here that would be happy if you pulled them for a bit of attention. Say, like Fortress in the Eye of Time, Queen's Own, The Glass Dragon or Drowning World."

Chrysa shook her head. "No, this will be all I need for now. There is much to research and study, and since I am bound to not move much, I might as well use my time wisely."

"But, surely One Hundred Years of Solitude, Expendable, The City Who Fought or Acorna would be more interesting?" Prepared to pull each of those books, Diren looked at Chrysa, silently begging her to just consider one. He saw The Mythical Creatures Bible and pushed it further into the bookshelf.

So, Harpies or Encantatos? Chrysa buried her face in the book, skimming the pages of information. Diren watched perplexed, moving to a new shelf.

Hmmm, I am thinking that Encantatos can wait until next time. I am not up for anything potentially dangerous, and, well, I actually agree with Diren. I don't think you should be going on any wild trips either. Talvan watched Diren, suddenly realising what he was trying to accomplish.

"Oh, you like felines! How about Book of Night with Moon or any of the Freedom series? Granted, in the Freedom series, the felines are humanoid and from another planet... Or you can always go classic and read The Iliad, The Odyssey, or The Divine Comedy."

Fine... I guess Harpies are out for now. But we will visit them eventually. So, the Encantatos it is. Chrysa's nod spooked Diren.

"Look! Here is your favourite, The Chrystal Singer Trilogy. Maybe that could use another go 'round? Or, um, look at this. Here is your first Fantasy set, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. You haven't read that in while. Why don't you show this trilogy some affection?"

Talvan sat up and watched Diren. She did feel somewhat sorry for him as he was trying so hard to derail Chrysa's current train of thought. While we are in Brazil, do you think we could seek out the Amphithere family. All her eggs must be hatched by now and I would like to say hello.

Sure, sure. Chrysa responded mentally from inside the book. As long as we still look for this other beastie.

"Anything else Chrysa? Not even the Tannith Lee's Unicorn trilogy, or the Treasury of North American Folk Tales?

When do we leave?

"What about Women of Words?"

As soon as we do our basic research on Encantatos, Talvan. You know the drill.

Diren could see that he was losing the battle. "What about The Book of the Unicorn?"

Chrysa looked up and smiled. "Oooh, Diren, that would be perfect! Then maybe we could go seeking out Unicorns instead. What do you think Talvan?"

"No, I mean..." Diren covered his face with his hands and shook he head. "That's not what I meant for you to do!"

Recipe for Sopapilla Cheese Cake:

2 cans of Pillsbury crescent rolls
2 1/2 - 8 ounce packages of Cream cheese (not low fat or non-fat. Won't work)
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 stick of butter
Dusting of flour
Cinnamon powder

1. Unroll 1 can of rolls and press into a 9x13 pan. Press seams together.
2. Mix softened cream cheese with 1 cup of sugar and the vanilla. Spread on top of the rolls in the pan.
3. On a floured surface, unroll the other can of rolls and press seams together.
4. Roll out (or press out) the dough to fit on top over cream cheese mix. Once big enough, place on top of the mixture.
5. Melt butter and pour over the top.
6. Sprinkle remaining sugar over the butter and then lightly dust with cinnamon.
7. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

**Editor's Note: All the books listed by Diren are actual books in Eukara's vast library. For more information about the books or their authors, Google or PM Eukara.**

< Message edited by Eukara -- 10/5/2009 15:29:37 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/6/2009 15:27:09   
general greivous

I really do hope the next chapter is about the Encantatos, I am from Brazil and I never heard of them =p
AQ  Post #: 2
10/6/2009 21:45:13   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Well then, that is issue #1 solved for me. Brazil it is!

/me throws a party...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - Recovery and Planning (Eukara)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition