Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 47 - Editor's Note (smbdoll)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - Editor's Note (smbdoll)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/5/2009 14:37:39   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Editor's Note
by smbdoll

Autumn... a beautiful time of year where the trees change color before falling from their purchase, drifting gently in the winds until they alight on the earth. All is as nature intended and the earth prepares to rest and renew itself over the winter for the coming spring.

Rubbish, I say. Autumn is cold, rainy, windy and miserable. While I can appreciate the natural beauty from inside or under a blanket, I'd really rather not go outside in it, thank you very much. It does not have the austere, crystalline beauty of winter, which despite the crisp cold can tempt me outside to build a snowman or ski. Nor does it share the greenery and warmth that summer offers. It lacks as well the feelings of rebirth that spring awakens as one watches the trees budding and the flowers start to bloom.

So, what is there to look forward to while the world packs itself into its autumn coma? There's got to be something more attractive to this season of sore throats, stuffy noses and general malaise besides watching the intelligent avians fly south to warmer climates.

Personally, I try to avoid the outdoors at all costs during these times (gee, that wasn't obvious at all, was it?) unless I have to go outside. I can often hide away in a fantasy book or participate in an RPG if I know of a decent one running. Occasionally, when I have a rare day off without other demands, I like to emulate the hibernators to the best of my ability. Those days, I dive deep under covers, listening to the sounds of rain on the roof and wind outside from the warmth of my not-so-hidden cave. Often I'll resurface when it's both warmer and more active in the house.

Occasionally, neither of those retreats are available. As much as we'd all like to sleep through winter or hide away from the world in a fantasy, life does make its demands known. This is especially true if one is a mother with a "real" job. On those days, there's nothing else to be done. The ultimate weapon against depression has to be used.

Hot Chocolate

No, I'm not talking about the ordinary, powder hot chocolate that you can buy in pouches. The hot chocolate that my husband spoils me with consists of real milk, melted dark chocolate and hand whipped cream. While I can't give you his ultra-secret recipe, I can recommend this rather good hot chocolate recipe, that sometimes makes a fair substitute when I can't convince him to do the work for me:

1 mug of full fat milk
2-3 pieces of dark chocolate (I'd recommend about 75%)
pinch of fresh ground cardamom
sugar if desired

Gently heat milk in a small pot, when it is starting to get hot (I test with my finger...) add the chocolate and cardamom. Stir with a whisk until melted. DON'T cook.
You can add either sugar or more for sweetness. The amount of chocolate used depends purely on how rich and chocolately you want the cocoa. Experimenting will help you get the right balance. You can also try adding mint, cinnamon or even chilly in place of the cardamom.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/5/2009 17:57:57   
Blazer Hex

Pretty cool! I like any story. I wouldn't care if it talked about little blue specks dancing randomly around a fire! I give it 4 stars! *gives 4 stars*

"A noob is not based on level nor ranking, but on how they act." ~Dasthur

"A noob is Dasthur!" ~ Trogdor V20X6
DF MQ  Post #: 2
10/5/2009 20:56:07   
ringulreith

Gees, I don't know how much the people at the 'zine think of me, but one person can't take this much talk of chocolate! Chocolate here, chocolate there... *drools* Chooocooolllaaattte

< Message edited by ont -- 10/5/2009 21:06:55 >
Post #: 3
10/5/2009 21:30:46   
Karika

A recipe in every article! I liked Twig's the most.
Too bad Falerin didn't do something Star Trek for Issue 47...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
10/9/2009 12:31:50   
LordAidan

Eukara doesnt like Autum?

But its my favorites time of year! :O
AQ DF  Post #: 5
10/9/2009 13:04:51   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

smbdoll wrote the Editor's note this month, so she doesn't like Autumn.

I happen to like Fall and Spring, the in-between seasons.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
10/10/2009 11:32:41   
Deathwalker

quote:

You can add either sugar or more for sweetness.

What is the MORE!?!?!?

Mmmm. Chocolate. *Inadvertantly stirs in shredded pages of the "Hitchhikers Guide to Vacations" and takes a sip*

*later*

It's mine you hear me?!?!?!? All the chocolate is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by Deathwalker -- 10/10/2009 11:34:15 >
DF AQW  Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 47 - Editor's Note (smbdoll)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition