Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

How to Make a Successful Game Project [Guide]

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> How to Make a Successful Game Project [Guide]
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/28/2009 17:44:16   
MegaPoster404

Hi, I'm MegaPoster404 (duh ). I'm the maker of ArtSucks RPG. This guide will help you make a successful game project.

Contents -
[SU1] Getting Started
[ED2] Early Development
[FR3] First Release
[HS4] Hiring staff
[ETC5] Other Things

[SU1] Getting Started -

What is the game about? How does the gameplay work? Is this possible for me to do? These are the first questions you should ask yourself. Work out a rough plot, an idea of how the game is played and what the controls are, and see if it seems possible for you to make. Decide how you will make it (Flash, gamemaker, etc.), and if possible, a name for the project.

Tip - Try some ideas out on your friends. They can help refine ideas into useful guidelines.

[ED2] Early Development -

Start making the game. First make the main engine that will be the structure of the game. Don't worry about art and animation, these aspects can always be replaced. Don't be afraid to use tutorials for things you don't know how to do, but make sure you understand the technique well enough to be sure it suits your engine. Test it often, ideally after adding each new feature. Things become more complicated to fix the later you find them.

Tip - Send the early engine to a few friends. This way, bugs are found more quickly.

[FR3] First Release -

The most important thing here? Don't rush. I'm gonna bold this for you, Don't rush! Get most of the main features in, and definitely have some kind of thing to actually play and test. A log in screen with a few buttons after it or a moving gray square is not going to impress anyone. Put some pretty decent art in there, too, to let people get an idea of how the game will look like in the future. Make the game look presentable at this stage. Also, accept constructive criticism. If someone says to, say, develop a less jerky movement system, don't go "NO! GTFO, n00b!" Remember, people are trying to help.

Tip - Again, don't rush

[HS4] Hiring staff -

If you need staff to develop the game, here's a few tips:

-Only hire a few people. One person, or two at the absolute most, for each position. You don't need 5 artists. The more people there are, the harder it is to get everyone's work together.
-Only hire capable people. These people should be able to do their part well. Ask for examples to see if their work is acceptable, but don't set your standards too high.
-Don't make unnecessary positions. You don't need a "vice assistant apprentice creative lead." Only hire for things you need for the game to be made.
-You have to work, too. Art, plot, whatever, you can't just order people around.
-Check to see if their personality is acceptable. A rude flamer is the last person you need as staff. Check their other posts to see how they act.
-Too many artists = too many styles. If the art doesn't 'fit' then the game will look like a botch job.

[ETC5] Other Things -

Forums - Only make one well into the game's release, if at all. No use discussing a nonexistent thing. Keep everything on the thread (or in PMs) until the game has reached a good point.

Advertisement - Again, well into the game's release. You don't want people coming and seeing nothing, or a broken alpha test, as this will turn them away forever.

General Tips -

- If a game is going to work, you and all the staff must be ready to spend time on it, no matter how frustrating it gets.
- If a team is going to work effectively, deadlines must be kept to, or art must get done at least with some priority.
- Keep interest up by releasing a lot.
- Make sure to implement your staff's work. Nobody likes to make loads and see nothing back.
- Make releases presentable, and release new features when they are done, or in groups of 5 or so. This is to keep interest in the project up.

That's pretty much it. Dudu Master might add some stuff, but that's all I know.

Thanks to Althorne and Atriax to contributing.

< Message edited by MegaPoster404 -- 11/29/2009 9:04:13 >
DF MQ  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> How to Make a Successful Game Project [Guide]
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition