Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 49 - Frostval and the Rogue (Eukara Vox)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 49 - Frostval and the Rogue (Eukara Vox)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/18/2009 14:32:25   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Frostval and the Rogue
revealed by Eukara Vox

I dare not let my sister know this. I frequently find myself stealing moments, looking through this journal of sorts she keeps. Such is life when an intriguing personality enters your life. I... I present this to you, not to spill her very intimate feelings to the world, but so that you may understand this Rogue named Nara Vox. I don’t know why my sister chose this path. Maybe one day her journal will tell me.

Frostval is coming up. All the happy faces and bright cheery songs are nauseating. I swear, this holiday was made to torture people like me. It's bad enough that me and my kind are hardly respected during the "normal" times, but this holiday... it amplifies everything.

Every day, I have to watch from the shadows as mages get fawned all over. They walk around as if they own everything. Psh, they think they are so smart and lord it over everyone. I see them wander around town, hands tucked in those arrogantly layered robes, nodding to the people they walk by. Why can't anyone see through the facade*? They aren't these gracious, benevolent* wonders of creation that protect and serve. Well, I guess that all depends on the serving part, as they seem to only be serving themselves.**

So smug... Yeah, as a mage, you never have to get your hands dirty. Mages stand away from the wars, the battles, the attacks. They stand at a distance, cast their spells, chant their incantations without ever having to worry about seeing the fear in a comrade's eyes as they lay dying in your arms, or feel the blood of your enemy on your skin.

And yet... At this time of year, they will get the beautifully wrapped gift boxes for their services. People will applaud at their displays and marvel at the speed in which they, at a distance, dispose of the troublemakers that haunt the holidays. Their power (please note: overly powerful abilities) will be praised, songs will be written for them and all will gather around to watch their gifts being opened. I can already hear the "ooohs" and "ahhhhs." If you ask me, they are too powerful and admired for their own good.*** Everyone wants to be a mage, everyone wants to love and be loved by a mage.

And while mages are wooing the people, a different breed of fighters are working the masses. Another which forces the shadow upon the rogue further. Warriors of all kinds - paladins, berserkers (They are insane…I will never forget The Sandsea.****), knights, dragonlords and dragonslayers - saunter through town; their brute strength and force take over the scene when hand-to-hand battle occurs. Which, of course, they voluntarily exhibit for everyone gathering under the snowy sky.

No one watches the one who fights with cunning* and intelligence, for that is boring. The masses want to watch the mighty swing of the claymore or the crunch of axe on bone. They want to stand in awe as the sun glints off of steel as the great broadsword arcs over the body of the enemy. And the warrior, he or she will enjoy hearing the common man draw in deep breaths with ever widening eyes, wishing that they too, could be as mighty as the warrior. The townspeople gather around the fireplace of Yulgar's or Serenity's Inn, eager to consume yet another tale of valour from the mouth of a warrior. Young children dance giddily near, hoping to be given the chance to touch a warrior's mighty weapon.

And watch as the Frostval decorations go up, the people sing songs of how warriors of old kept the tradition safe and alive, how their mighty sword allowed the holiday to live on and flourish. Then listen to them as regale* the deeds of the current heroes.

But will you hear a Rogue praised? No, no one loves the Rogue.***** We are thieves- dishonorable, heartless takers of all that is good. No one ever remembers that yes, in the days of long ago, Rogues were less than they are today. But not any longer! We fight for everyone as hard as any mage or warrior. We put our lives on the line so that people can eat their meals in peace and families cozy-up by the fire without fear.

We get so little respect from other fighters. Mages think that we are a joke. They whisper amongst themselves that we are unintelligent, fakers of knowledge and skill. They cannot imagine that such humble individuals would possess the know-how to defend the populace. The sneer any time one of us crosses their path, whispering among themselves as they look in our direction. Warriors humor us, thinking that we cannot possibly be as great or as strong as they. Their condescending* attitudes infuriate the most humble and calm Rogues. Stab me through the heart with my own dagger, oh mighty warrior, as that is what you have already done with that look. Forget that you have not the intelligence to think your way out of a situation that requires more than the heavy swing of your great weapon.

I will sit in my home this Frostval, and when the time comes, answer the call of the community as they lay under a siege of whatever monster decides to ruin the festivities this year. I will fight my heart out, hoping that their holiday will be peaceful and joyous. Every corner, alley and hill will be cleared using my daggers. But in the end, the showy mage and the blundering warrior will get the songs, the attention and the lavish accolades*. I will return home, exhausted and alone. If I am lucky, there may be a gift on my doorstep. But there will be no one there to watch me open it. No one at all.

****This is a very sore subject with Nara. I have yet to find out what truly went on there.
*****I want to take this opportunity now to clear something up, before the reader begins to hate my sister thoroughly. I do know that the Rogue is appreciated by people and that they are considered a hero. Obviously, Nara has had some really bad experiences.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 11/24/2013 22:37:16 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
12/22/2009 13:14:50   
Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

*Ahem* First of all I've heard a rogue say he hated the fact he had chose to become a rogue.

Secondly, why do you want others to see you opening your presents? Do you enjoy their look of greed or detest they didn't get such a great thing? If you want acknowledgement of people loving rogues, you should head to the heart of rogue society, Krovesport.

Thirdly, I enjoy the quick fighting. But in Oaklore I have found little use for Dexterty, unlike Battleon.

Fourthly, mages may stand behind the frontlines. But have you ever thought of what would happen if they were surprised by an Ambush? They'll be the ones that get whacked much harder, mainly for the fact that they can't evade incoming attacks like rogues*.

*Rogue agility+Ninja style: Smoke Bomb. (Dragonrogue)
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
12/22/2009 16:25:39   
Cerbero

Cute.
Mind me, this is a very flexible concept which I am not using as a compliment. When Tajna is the subject, misconceptions become exceedingly dangerous. It is advisable to think carefully before speaking. Tajna never so much as hinted at hating her occupation; she has in fact rather earned the right to pride herself from it as she does - You can't afford to be naive when dealing with her.

To address your second point: Even those most successful with intentional introversion, solitude and those with the coldest of wits feel emotions. Whether or not one accepts it to a lesser degree, the need for company and some degree of acceptance is nigh universal and the lack of such is troubling to any subject. Emotions vary, that is the wonder and curse of individuality, but they are inevitable. The psychological need for company is as well.
What we see here is an scorn towards the very much existent general stereotypes of dissociation of the conventional concept of hero from the life style led by most rogues. Indeed, rogues are generally unappreciated except when their particular knack for stealth and swift tactics.

Your third and fourth points are statements that are in appearance based on the stereotypes of the aforementioned type rather than categorizing "builds". Beware of generalizations. They are already dangerous enough by themselves... but when you are dealing with Tajna, Mordecai or anyone like them, they are beyond perilous to your argument.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 3
12/30/2009 0:43:08   
lightmage14

If she isn't feeling too bitter about it, would you mind giving her a hug for me? She seems to really need one.
DF  Post #: 4
12/30/2009 20:35:34   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

lightmage14, I will send along your hug. Hopefully, that small gesture of affection will make her smile. My thanks.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 49 - Frostval and the Rogue (Eukara Vox)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition