Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 49 - Trip to Paradise (Eukara Vox)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 49 - Trip to Paradise (Eukara Vox)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/18/2009 14:32:30   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Trip to Paradise
by Eukara

Being dragged through the water by the Encantado wasn't her idea of fun, nor was she all that thrilled about being in the situation to begin with. As a matter of fact, had she not been so mad, she would have seen that they were not in the river at all, but another place entirely.

Talvan! Oh please tell me you are listening.

The response was quiet, but undeniably Talvan. What, Chrysa? I was in the middle of a game of tag.

Chrysa groaned, causing the Encantado to slow up and stop their progress. "Is something bothering you?"

"Is something bothering me? What do you think? I get grabbed, against my will and zipped through the water to an unknown place, away from my friends and my dragon, never to see them again... Or at least I assume that is how it will go." She narrowed her eyes and looked away.

"Against your will? You willingly walked with me. As far as I could tell, you enjoyed my company. By such indicators, you should be happy, as I have fulfilled your desire to spend more time with me." He shrugged, about as well as a Boto can. "This is your shock speaking. It happens once in a while. Once you get used to your surroundings, things will be just fine."

With a kick of his tail, the Encantado propelled them through the water on the way to Encante. Now do you understand, Talvan?

Completely, Chrysa. I and Nadaran are on our way. Nadaran went further south, as he was visiting family. So he will be late. Her mind went quiet and she looked around, only to find that the murky water of the Amazon was beginning to clear up. Hues of brilliant golds and blues began to dot the world around her. Brethen is coming too. He says that he is our best hope to finding you.

Please hurry, Talvan.

We will fly as fast as possible. Once I find Diren, we will begin to look for you. Brethen says be careful of what you do down there. Chrysa's mind went numbingly quiet before she could ask Talvan what exactly the Amphithere meant by that advice.

Resigned to simply being towed along like a rag doll, Chrysa decided that she would at least try to investigate where she was headed. If she got out of this predicament, she would have a lot to write about.

I am flying as fast as I can. There is too much activity in the skies here to travel the inner-space route. Last thing I need is to pull someone in with me. Remember what happened last time that airplane got pulled into that between trip over Arizona?

Diren laughed, despite the situation at hand. Yes, Brother, I remember. That poor pilot, he and his wife were just out for a spin over the desert in their plane. They ended up going back to the airport claiming they saw a UFO and were abducted.

Namaran snorted. You know I love you, Diren, but humans can be quite strange. It's like they are begging to be abducted by something that doesn't exist.

Diren watched the surface of the water. You are a fine one to talk, you know. Dragons aren't supposed to exist, remember? Humans proved you are just a myth years ago. I have to say though, planting that fake baby dragon and taking the real one out of that office was a close call.

I remember the rider who did that. She was brave. I think her name was Morgen. Apparently, that office required a lot of replacements. And she barely made it before the human world freaked out and started poking and prodding everything. Though, I wish I knew how the real baby dragon made its way in that specimen jar.

I try not to think about it. Diren picked up a rock and threw it into the water. Is Morgen still looking for stuff like that to replace?

Yeah, she and Lorinan just got back from Texas. Apparently, some Chupacabra got itself caught and she had to replace the carcass with a fake at some taxidermy store. Namaran growled. Of all of us, those creatures are the most annoying. I swear, it's like they want to be caught.

Diren shook his head and turned at the sound of approaching footsteps. With all the reports of seeing them and all the evidence they leave behind, they are asking for trouble. Someone is coming, dear heart, so I must pay attention to them. The minute you get a chance to traverse innerspace, do it.

Of course.

"Sir, if you stay here for too long, it will only invite an Encantado to attack you. They do not want to see men on their shores." A young man stood at a distance, not stepping any closer than the older gentleman the night before.

Diren sighed. This was precisely what he was trying to do... He wanted them to notice he was there. "What if I want them to notice?"

"Then you invite death, Sir. The Encantado... They do not want men. They are useless. They want women, like your lovely partner. She is lost. It is better if you just acknowledge that. All other men have had to."

"I cannot." Diren turned and looked at the young man. "I appreciate your time and words. I do. But I have means of finding her, means that you wouldn't believe... Or maybe you would. Just know that I will leave Brazil with her."

Diren's forcefulness took the man by surprise. He nodded, knowing full well that there was more out there than the Encantado. Let's just hope she hasn't done anything to force her to stay below."

"What do you mean?"

The young man looked serious. "Legend says that if the young girl falls in love with her abductor or dances in their festivities, even the smallest show of dancing, she is bound to their world. They will sing, especially the one that captured her. Their song enchants, incites love and joy. If she has a weakness at all, she will be lost forever."

Brethen was impressed with the dragonet. Before, she was a lazy, whining whelp of a dragon child. But something changed and he appreciated it. Her fierce determination wasn't as self-centered as before. She sought out her rider, not for personal gain, but for personal affection and fear. Sadly, he realized it took a near tragedy to make her grow up.

Talvan flew with everything she had. Even though she was in better shape, stronger and wiser, she was getting tired. She knew deep down inside that she wasn't the one that would rescue Chrysa, and that stung, since it was Chrysa who saved her last time. Chrysa is always the one to save me. And it has been that way since I was freshly hatched and out of the nest.

If she strained hard enough, she could see where it was that Chrysa and Diren were supposed to be spending their vacation. The town stood out among the trees and farms, the river's chocolately texture and color... Chocolate Talvan felt her stomach rumble. I will have chocolate when we get home.

Namaran landed next to the river, causing a great splash and a few wide eyes. He stared at the men who had come to console Diren, causing two to pass out cold. Those who were able to keep their wits about them watched as the great crimson Dragon morphed into a tall, flame-haired man. He embraced Diren and then nodded. Soon, all of the men were lying on the ground, Namaran standing over them. A slight aura of red eminated form their bodies.

"They are sufficiently out?" Diren asked.

"Yes, Brother," Namaran's deep baritone responded. "When they awake, they will only remember the lone foreigner who lost his lady to the river."

"My apologies. I know you hate enforcing that side of your magic." Diren shook his head. "Have you heard from Talvan?"

"She is nearly here. The Amphithere is pushing her hard, but that is because time is of essence. There are problems and if Chrysa succumbs to many of their temptations, even inadvertently, she is doomed."

Diren glanced at the ground. "I know. If she slips up... And I don't know if we can call it slipping up since she isn't aware, is her love of dancing. And if they sing and play music as legend says... She may dance, Namaran."

Namaran nodded slowly. "She will. Let's just hope Brethen gets there on time."

The bottom of the river now contained half-buried broken vases of glistening jewels, pavement of gemstones partially covered by creatures and silt. In the distance, beyond the ruins, stood a castle. A majestic castle, with spires and flags that waved in the current. Soon, she and her captor was joined by several more Botos, though she assumed that they were all Encantado.

They nodded to each other and swam toward the castle. Houses dotted the riverbed, becoming more and more closely built as they neared. Chrysa knew that there was no way she was truly in the Amazon anymore. All evidence pointed to Encante, the Encantado paradise.

Music wafted towards her, sweet lilting melodies that made her smile, despite her predicament. There were no harsh sounds, no drums or blaring horns. It was more strings and woodwinds, entwined as if knitted from one universal thread. She closed her eyes to concentrate more on the sound. It was as if the music spoke to her soul.

Their progress began to slow as they neared the castle. All the others were filing into the great palace, careful to allow each plenty of room for maneuvering. She was in awe of the pure size of the building, and when they entered the castle, her captor slowly morphed into the human form he had on the surface and led her to the floor.

He took her hand and bowed slightly to her. When he rose, she was not in her usual riding gear, but a dress of exquisite green and silver. Silver gloves graced her hands and arms while a circlet of green sat upon her crown. Every Encantado stared at her, but she merely bowed back to her captor. Something in the back of her mind said this was wrong, but it was drowned out by the music.

Talvan and Brethen appeared in the sky over the river, appearing from innerspace and breathing hard. Talvan landed next to Diren and Namaran's human form, unable to transform yet. Brethen didn't stop, but plunged into the river in a perfect dive that barely sent up any splash.

Brethen says he can hear the music. He may be too late, Namaran.

Namaran shook his head. "We can't think like that, Talvan. We have to believe we are just in time." He looked at Diren's worried face. "Believe in Brethen, Diren. Believe in Chrysa."

Brethen's sinuous form slipped through the water at breakneck speed. The music was louder, and more complex, meaning he had little time. He pushed as hard as his body allowed him, his muscles screaming. But he could not stop. A life hung in the balance... Actually, he realized several lives hung on his ability to rescue the rider.

An attack from the side threw him off course. He stopped, only to find himself pursued by Encantado. A swarm of them were on a direct path towards him. He wove between the plants and ruins, trying to shake them. They knew why he was there and this was going to be a problem.

Another strike from the side rolled him over several times, briefly causing him to lose his bearings. Shaking his great head, he roared out in frustration and warning. The Encantado may be the rulers of the Amazon, but he was Brethen, Amphithere, and ruler of all waters. Either they would bow or pay the consequences.

Encantado after Encantado rammed into the great dragon kin, attempting to slow him. Brethen decided to just ignore them, take the beating. If he stopped, Chrysa would be lost.

Chrysa held onto her captor's arm as he led her about the ballroom, introducing her to his friends and family. Charmed, they all smiled at her, nodding at her captor in approval. He led her to a table of food, but she refused politely, not hungry. Frustrated, her captor merely nodded. Suddenly, the music swept into a faster beat and he held his hand out to her, beaconing Chrysa to the center floor.

A swift lash of his tail sent an Encantado jetting into the ruins of an ancient temple. The creature screamed in pain and swam away. Brethen continued to push forward, head butting an Encantado, tail lashing another as he fought towards the castle. It loomed large ahead, meaning he was nearly there.

The evil creatures now swarmed thickly about him, giving Brethen no choice. He roared, a sounds that echoed through the water, shaking its very molecular structure. With a mighty spell, he caused the water to churn and froth in the depths, pulling the Encantado army into a jumble heap. Their bodies collided, bruising and tearing; each emitted scream of pain that could be heard on the surface.

The churning continued, trapping them all as Brethen approached the castle. He rammed it with his great body, repeatedly, as hard as physically possible.

Chrysa took her captor's hand and allowed him to lead her to the dance floor. As he wrapped an arm around her waist, the walls shook. She looked up, but he began to sing to her, drawing her attention back to him. Inner-twining his fingers in hers, her squeezed her hand. Again the walls shook, though this time, bits fell all around them.

"Ready?"

She placed her hand on his shoulder and looked into his eyes. Pieces of the walls rained down all around them, but all she could see was him as the music played on. The sound of the strings flowed into her heart as the woodwinds coursed through her blood. She took a deep breath and nodded.

Her captor took a step forward as the walls exploded. She looked up, only to see a massive dragon bursting through from the outside. His deafening roar hurt her ears, and she let go of her captor's hand to cover her ears. Brethen landed heavily on the floor and roared once more, looking at every Encantado present. He searched until he found Chrysa.

"You do not belong here, young one. You belong on the surface."

Chrysa looked at him confused. "The surface? But the festival just started. It isn't time to leave just yet. The journey upriver is not for a long time yet."

Brethen stepped towards her and lowered his head until his eye was level with her own. "You do not belong here. You have loved ones on the banks of the river, waiting for you, mourning. You must return to your world. You need to return to Talvan."

Her captor stepped between Brethen and Chrysa. "You clearly have made a mistake, Lord Brethen. Seeing as such, I think it best you leave."

The Amphithere roared and swiped Chrysa's captor form his presence with his great tail. He watched the confused look on Chrysa's face, the fight to remember something she wasn't supposed to.

"Remember who you are. You are a dragonrider, bonded to Talvan, the selfish, chocolate-eating, lazy brute that loves you. You have friends, one in particular named Diren who waits for you even now, hoping that you come back to him. And his monstrous crimson Dragon comforts him as best as he can."

Brethen sighed, sending a current of water over Chrysa. Suddenly, memories flooded her mind and she gasped at the river of thought. She dropped to her knees, fighting. The dress slowly faded back to her riding clothes and she looked up weakly.

Brether roared once more to those present and bade her climb on his back. She swam up onto his back and held on as tightly as she could. Brethen sped through the water and surfaced seconds later, laying Chrysa on the banks to be tended to by her friends.

"I must go, as I now have business to attend to in my realm. She will be weak, care for her and be patient. She was one dance step away from being lost to you. Be forewarned... She will hear that music for the rest of her life. Protect her, for everyone woman who returned from Encante went mad form the music."

Brethen took off, leaving them alone. Diren picked up Chrysa and nodded to Namaran. Namaran took on his true form, lifted Diren onto his back and they flew towards home. Diren held her close, protecting her from the wind and desperate to keep the song that sung in her head at bay.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
1/3/2010 3:06:22   
nonaka

Nice story this month. I liked the dialogue between Namaran and Diren about humans discovering dragons. It gave more depth to the story since they weren't solely worrying about Chrysa the whole time. I liked Talvan and her childish comments too. Before, I thought Talvan was really annoying, but I like her now that she's matured.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 2
1/3/2010 18:39:05   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Thanks! I enjoy writing these each month. And yes, Talvan's maturity has made some things more possible. She will still have her moments, as she is still young. BUt, that's all part of growing up.

And I enjoyed the Diren/Namaran conversation. I think I giggled the entire time I wrote it. It just seemed like the right thing to have revealed to the readers.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
1/5/2010 18:47:25   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

The right thing to reveal indeed. When and if you ever get the chance, I should like to hear more about this underworld kingdom, mainly because for some unknown reason, it reminds me vaguely of descriptions of Atlantis.
AQW Epic  Post #: 4
1/6/2010 20:09:04   
Joe mysterious

cool story bro tl;dr
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 49 - Trip to Paradise (Eukara Vox)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition