Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 49 - The Loremaster takes on Theodore Geissel (Falerin)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 49 - The Loremaster takes on Theodore Geissel (Falerin)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/18/2009 14:36:47   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

The Loremaster takes on Theodore Geissel (Dr. Seuss)
by Falerin

I have but one thing to say in light of the festal season.
But one thing to say and that is eat well
and here's the reason.

When the lack of recipes in the zine was found shocking
to my chamber door the editors came a-knocking.

Falerin, dear friend, we're in a bind.
We are sure some time you can find
time to write
time to thrill
we know you won't even send a bill.

Falerin, dear man, we know you adore us
So please, dear Loremaster, pen a recipe for us...

And so begins my Frostval quest
by friend and collegue put to the test
the eve of Frostval fast upon me
obligations mounting for me
I took the challenge none-the-less
for under stress, I do my best.

Frostval is here, dear friend and reader
Frostval is here, decorate the cedar
to drive away the threatening grinch
I'll provide this article in a pinch

Prepare your bacing sheets and bowls
And make these festal Frostval roll:

Holiday Gingerbread Roll

Cake:

5 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup fresh grated ginger (you may use a tsp of ground dried ginger plus 2 tbsp fresh grated but the flavor is inferior)
3/4 tsp fresh ground allspice
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper (coarse)
1/4 cup granulated table sugar
1/4 tsp fresh ground sea salt

Filling:
1 tsp powdered unflavored gelatin
1 tbsp cold water
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups creme fraiche (substitute crema mexicana or sour cream if creme fraiche is unavailable but the taste will be different)
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar

Butter Rum Sauce:
1 stick sweet (unsalted) butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
Two 4-inch cinnamon sticks
8 whole cloves
1/4 tsp rum extract
2 tablespoons apple cider

Garnish:
10x Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
Toasted pecans, toasted almonds, toasted walnuts and dried cranberries, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a 12-by-17-inch high rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks on high for about 2 1/2 minutes or until pale yellow and frothy. Add the molasses, 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and the fresh ginger and mix with beater until incorporated. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, allspice, black pepper, salt, and ground ginger (if substituting). Beat the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture until combined.

Using a clean mixer beat egg whites on high until the soft peak stage. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat on high until the hard dry peak stage. Fold meringue into batter slowly until no streaks remain. Spread batter in an even layer on the baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes until darkened and dry.

Soften gelatin by sprinkling on top of the cold water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Microwave on high 10 or 12 seconds or until gelatin has melted and fully dissolved.

In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese with the cinnamon. Add melted gelatin and beat until smooth. In another bowl, whip the creme fraiche with the confectioner's sugar until stiff. Fold the cream cheese into the creme fraiche until evenly distributed.

Invert the cake from the cookie sheet by first running a knife along the edges, covering with another cookie sheet or large cutting board and then turning over. Carefully remove the parchment paper.

Allow the cake to cool fully and then spread the filling evenly over the entire cake surface.

Take one end and roll tightly like a jelly roll until a single roll is formed. wrap tightly in plastic wrap and transfer into the refrigerator.

Chill for at least 3 hours.

Melt butter in a saucepan and add brown sugar. Bring the "butterscotch syrup" to a boil stirring constantly with a small wire whisk. Add the cinnamon sticks and cloves. Whisk in the rum extract and cider and remove from the heat. Let the butter-rum sauce steep for 1 hour. Discard cloves and cinnamon sticks.

Unwrap the gingerbread roll and transfer it to a plate; dust lightly with confectioners' sugar. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and bring to room temperature.

Place a small amount of butter-rum sauce on a plate.

Place a slice of the roll in the middle.

Garnish the gingerbread roll with the nuts and berries and serve with the butter-rum sauce.

You may also add a dollop of fresh brown sugar whipped cream for an extra rich treat!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
12/20/2009 1:52:46   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

Wow.

Talk about a holiday treat! This is the first time I've heard of this delectable Dessert. Thank you for sharing it with us Falerin.

Oh and Happy Frostval to you and your Wife.
AQW Epic  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 49 - The Loremaster takes on Theodore Geissel (Falerin)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition