Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=MECH= Philosophy of Composition

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= Philosophy of Composition
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/1/2010 16:46:44   
horusmaster9

Seeing as how Edgar Allan Poe is my absolute favorite author, I figured that I would finally get around to reading his The Philosophy of Composition here (if you want to check it out, too). I applied it to my own writing and, although I still have a huge problem with finishing stories, it seems to have generally gotten better, even if it is just the placebo effect. I've just about swallowed up every word he says (yes, I know that I'm gullible), and it made me think, "HMMMMMmmmmm... I wonder what method that other people use..."

So... what method /do/ you guys use? Horus is hungry for knowledge to better his writing. >:D

As for myself, I wholly agree with Poe's viewpoint on writing. Short, one-sitting length, unity of effect, etc. Now, I figured that some of the stuff would be common sense, but it's certainly helping me a lot. ^-^
Post #: 1
1/1/2010 21:58:22   
alexmacf

Most of my writing gets done in my head, which is bad when your friends want to see what you did for the next chapter in your creation. :P When *actually* writing, I tell myself "Ok, x number of pages. That's all you can do, and you have to do them all." If that number is 2, then I'll have a ten-page short story (preplanned) done in 5 days. If I ever write for a living, like "trashy romance novels" type writing, that'll come in handy.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
1/1/2010 22:57:09   
Alixander Fey

^^ Shudders at the above post. Somehow that doesn't feel like "writing for a living."
DF  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= Philosophy of Composition
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition