Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(MQ) MechQuest Mystery

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> MechQuest >> (MQ) MechQuest Mystery
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/7/2010 18:24:40   
Postmaster General

MQ Mystery:Chief Duncan

Welcome to the fantastical world of MQ, in the year 3000+. This story takes place a few years before the beginning of MQ, the game. This is the story of Chief Duncan, before he was Chief.

Comments go here: Comments & Criticism

Chapter 1:The Investigation of a Lifetime Begins
Chapter 2:Mmm...Tea
Chapter 3:Ambush!
Chapter 4:Dawn of Prosthetics
Chapter 5: Road to Pay Back
Chapter 6: Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo!
Chapter 7: What?!
Chapter 8:Corporate Dealings
Chapter 9: The Waiting Room Game
Chapter 10: Deadend Lead
Chapter 11: Return of the Casefiles
Chapter 12: Cat-napping
Chapter 13: Zargon Planetary Museum

Editing by: Dewdrop Fairy, Fleur Du Mal, Xirminator, Crimzon5, and Eukara Vox

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 5/25/2010 21:15:44 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
3/21/2010 12:02:23   
Postmaster General

Chapter 1-The Investigation of a Lifetime Begins

It was a cold December night; I was sitting in my office reviewing case files from some of my co-workers and taking notes as I went. Light bounced off the snow on the ground, into my office through the blinds and gave a luminescent glow to the entire room. I heard high-heels approach my office door and a slight knock told me I had a visitor.

“Come in!” I said, having to clear my throat a little. I watched the door as a shadowy silhouette drew close.

The door opened and my eyes looked her up and down. She wore a cloak and hood, which spoke mysterious to me. She looked oddly familiar but I couldn’t see enough of her face to be able to recognize her. Even in the eerie light I couldn’t see what she was hiding under the cloak.

“What can I do for ya?” I asked. The mystery intrigued me; yet, my police senses tingled in the back of my head. That was never a good thing.

“I need help!” she said as she wrung her hands. She began to pace, which made me a bit dizzy. “I know it’s late, but you’re the only one who can help me! Please you have to help! It’s URGENT” She was really laying the whole damsel-in-distress act on thick. Any moment now, I expected her hand to press against her forehead in despair.

“Wait a minute, ma’am. I need you to calm down first of all." I tried to smile, give her some reassurance, but this only made my mustache tickle my nose and brought on a sneeze. Standing slowly, I held out my hand. "The name's Duncan, can you tell me yours? Will ya do that for me?”

“What? My name? Erm…. My name is…… not the important thing right now…" Her eyes darted to me and to my desk rapidly, making me a bit suspicious. Was she avoiding my gaze for a reason? But perhaps whatever trauma she had just endured was the reason the woman in front of me was so frantic. "Please! There is no time for idle chit-chat! We must hurry!”

She was acting awfully suspicious, but this was no time for games. I needed the facts and I needed them now. I got out my Detective’s Notepad and began with the basics. “Oh but wait, what do I right down for witness’s name?” I thought to myself.

“Ok? Miss, I understand but I don’t know what to call you,” I pressed even though the situation had become slightly awkward.

“Erm….*ahem* it is Anna……Anna Nomous.”

“Well that’s weird! A lot like anonymous, ya know?” Miss Nomous seemed to tense up as I said this. “But I’m sure you got that a lot in school so I’ll move on.” I added, afraid I had hit a sensitive subject.

“Okay now that we got that out of the way, what is your situation?” I was quite excited to get started on a real investigation. Thus far, the advent of my career had been issuing a parking citation to a local deviant named Cain S. Lupus. This started a feud between us that will go on indefinitely, but that is another story. This case would be the case that would assuredly earn me some respect on the force and hopefully get me closer to the police chief job that I was so yearning for. Detective stuff always turns heads.

I had been lost in thought only to be brought back by Miss Nomous’s recounting. “Well, all I can say is that I saw a shadowy figure in the alleyway behind Tek’s Mechs today. I couldn’t really see what it was doing but I would just hate to see anyone get hurt! Especially with the uprising of those nasty groups, the Shadowscythe and the Canine-like biker group!”

“Alright ma’am, Tek’s Mechs you say? Thanks for your assistance. I’ll get right on it!”

I gathered my things (Pepper spray, a bat-shaped boomerang, and shark repellant) and followed her out of my office, parting in front of the police station. I headed towards the suspected mischief while Anna seemed to almost disappear……wait, she did disappear! Weird.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 5/27/2010 14:15:01 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/22/2010 21:05:51   
Postmaster General

Chapter 2-Mmm...Tea

When I arrived at the alleyway behind Tek’s Mechs, it was cold; I crossed my arms to bulwark the elements. The tall building was topped by a display case of an actual mecha, and the obelisk blocked the winter sun, making the passageway even colder.

I came to the spot Anna had described, and began searching for clues. There was nothing out of the ordinary. The dumpster was empty, must have been trash day. I remember it smelled of old motor oil and rust. There was no one there. Snow stuck to parts of the sheet metal of the wall, apparently the only one here recently was the trashbot. I looked down and started to dig around, a little bit of snow fell while I did so, covering me in the freezing powder. After about thirty minutes I began to be disappointed. My search was proving pointless. I was just about to head back when, Wait, is that a sticky note? I was perplexed. It must have been under the snow that just detached from the wall.

Written in almost illegible, chicken-scratch handwriting:
You know what to do. Bring the package to the
Malt Tea Fountain to collect your pay.
Come alone.....or else!

The Malt Tea Fountain? I had heard of this before. Remembering where, however, would require some serious pondering. And there was only one place to do that kind of thinking. So I set off.

Before long, I was at the Galactic Doughnutary. The diner-style pastry establishment of which I was a regular customer. The boothes were covered in crimson leather, the tables were a retro, checkered finish. The bar was occupied by some fellow policemen and patrons.

I ordered myself a couple sprinkled doughnuts and a cup of coffee before sitting down, although I chose to sit alone at an empty booth in the corner around the side of the restaurant. Asking for help meant sharing credit, and I was in it for the glory, at least at that point in time.

It must have been in those old case files. The only place I could think that I would have possibly seen that name before. But which case file was it…

“I remember now!” I shouted in excitement, startling a few patrons surrounding me. It was in Deputy Bobby’s report after his nighttime patrol. In it, the Deputy said that he saw lights and moving shadows near the fountain but when he got closer, there was nothing. Now I had it, my lead in the case! I wondered if I should call Miss Nomous but then remembered that she did not leave any contact information with me. A fact that was very perplexing but nothing could be done about it now. Before I left, I ordered myself a few more confections to go. Shortly after, I set off.

I raced back to my office to get the location of the fountain and started to make my way there. As I neared the beautifully crafted edifice, I slowed my pace to catch my breath. I heard shuffling behind me. My hand raced to my belt and found the pepper spray there. I was ready. Or so I thought.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 6/9/2010 19:39:09 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
3/25/2010 17:46:45   
Postmaster General

Chapter 3- Ambush!

It took a second for me to realize what had just happened. In the blink of an eye, a group of ninjas had surrounded me. My arm was stinging. I looked down, a kunai had sliced my sleeve and blood began to trickle. Everything was so blurry; sounds meshed and light seemed faded. The lead shinobi was yelling at me, but I couldn’t understand his accent, or…maybe he was speaking fine. The kunai must have been poisonous. I couldn’t feel my fingers on my left hand.

The next thing I knew, there was a searing pain, so unbearable that couldn’t help but yelp in agony.

This must have been the cue for the assassins, for as soon as I regained control, I was below a cloud of ninja as they lept into the air and vaulted towards me. My first instinct: dodge what I could, endure what I couldn’t. After the initial attack, I was able to counter. I threw myself into the crowd and knocked a few down. Then, I swung my limp arm into another and laughed contently when it connected with the masked face.

The melee continued for some time. In the end, it was only me and the ninja leader. I was exhausted, so was he. I let out a battle cry as I hobbled towards him and raised my fist ready to strike. His ninja prowess was not to be out done. I was thrown by my own momentum as the he bent over and guided my soaring body into the ground. It was looking bleak for me. In a last ditch effort, I threw a rock from the ground but as I did so, he ducked and sliced my injured arm. I screamed in pain.

He stopped to laugh and monologue; typical villain. I saw my opportunity and took advantage of it. I forced through the pain and swept my leg in time to catch his feet. He was on the ground. I stood up and bashed him with my good arm.

Finally, he was out. But I was injured, badly. I needed medical attention. I fled and headed for Nurse Helia Quinn. She was my only hope.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 5/25/2010 11:17:09 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
4/18/2010 9:32:19   
Postmaster General

Chapter 4-Dawn of Prosthetics

The last thing I remember seeing was the ambulance outside as I approached the hospital. The sun glared into my eyes as I slowly lost consciousness. The pain of my arm was overwhelming.

A blurry silhouette of a woman was standing over me. As my eyes began to focus, I was able to make out that the figure was Nurse Helia, and upon further inspection, I realized that I was in hospital bed and the nurse was trying to talk to me.

“Did you get that, Duncan?” As her face came in to focus I wondered if I was dead. Angelic beauty and warm compassion are just a few of the good nurse's characteristics.

“Ergh…..I’m sorry, what?” I sat up with a jolt and winced as a shooting pain went up my shoulder.

She sighed. “I need you to remain calm, but we were unable to salvage your arm.” She paused and forced me to lie back down before continuing. “Instead, we had to replace it.” She held on to my hand as she said this. She must have done this a thousand times, relate bad news to a patient, and yet she still felt personable and unique.

“What?!” I screamed. “Replace it? What do you mean?” I looked down at my shoulder, where my arm used to be there was now a cold steel appendage. With wires, plates, pistons and joints. Devastation set in.

“Now sir, I know this is a lot to take in, but this isn’t as bad as it may seem. You can do all the things you used to, and you can now use the arm’s superhuman strength and the metal is laser-proof! It really is top-of-the-line.” She was trying to make me see the bright side but I was too taken in with the fact that I was forever changed.

Understandably, it took awhile for me to calm down. A while later, once I had taken in the facts, I attempted to converse more genuinely with Nurse Helia. “So you say this arm is laser-proof? Does it work well with energy blades as well?”

“It is made to withstand the stress of your job. I should advise you, however, that it is not indestructible and you should not test its limits. But this should help out quite a bit in the field.” She looked at me intently there and I made a mental note never to get on her bad side. Nurse Helia was the kind of woman you wanted to only hold a scalpel when she was in a good mood.

By now, I had forgotten the fact that I didn’t have my limb. I was excited and ready to give it a try. Like a kid in the toy aisle I wanted to take it all in at once. It was time to head back to the fountain and close this case.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 6/9/2010 19:15:56 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
4/18/2010 9:34:26   
Postmaster General

Chapter 5-Road to Pay Back

The Malt Tea Fountain was in view again. I was a little hesitant to return to this place of near demise but I had to press on. There were still some kunai on the ground but all the bodies had been moved. Someone had been here, and by the looks of it, they were trying to hide what had happened. Either they were in a hurry, or they were coming back. I decided to find a place to hide should the latter have been the case.

The winter wind was unforgiving, a light layer of snow had begun to cover my body. If something did not happen soon, I would have to give up before I became a Cop-sicle. Sure enough, some obvious flunkies came from down an alleyway with a broom, dustpan, and trash bag. Their uniforms were two sizes too big and I could hear them complaining about the job. The distance in between us was just enough that I couldn’t make out everything they said. But I could make out by the tone and body language that they were unhappy with the task set to them.

After enduring the complaints for a long while, for they were not the greatest of workers, they began heading back the way they came. This was my chance, and I took it. I followed them, quite gracefully I might add, for a heavy-set young man with a bionic arm.

I snuck behind them for some distance until they stopped in the middle of a brick wall. A secret entrance? I thought, my childhood anticipation getting the best of me once again. I crouched, ready to strike as soon as they opened the door. But no, one minion merely stopped to tie his shoe before continuing on. I lost my balance in surprise and fell on my rump. Once my disappointment had subsided, I followed after them. I had barely caught up to them in time to see them disappear down a stairway at the end of the walkway. I burst into a dead sprint, ready to try out my new arm. As I made my way down the stairway, it took a second for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. I barreled down the stairs and almost tripped as I went. Near the bottom of the stairs I met up with the henchmen. Here we go! I thought as I reared back my juggernaut fist.

As the cold metal knuckles connected with the first crony, I heard a crack and grabbed my pepper spray which I immediately ejected into his companions face. Before he could scream I twirled around and slammed him into the wall. I was really starting to relish the combat. And I was amazed, this new arm was astounding! I was unstoppable. Now that I’m here, I thought. Time to wrap up this case.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 6/9/2010 19:30:41 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
4/18/2010 9:35:40   
Postmaster General

Chapter 6- Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo!

My first instinct was to take in my surroundings; I was in a dark corridor lit by torches hanging in sconces on the walls. The two felled lackies were at my feet and would be unconscious for quite awhile. It seemed as though I had two options, either left, or right. So I set about to the kind of SPD problem solving I learned in the academy: Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Mo! Left it was. I carefully stepped over the comatose bodies and set on my way, being careful to hug the wall and watch my back constantly.

As I made my way down the hall I began hearing voices reverberating from down a little further. As I neared, I was able to make out two men in a room off of my current hallway. The room turned out to be a locker room. Apparently, the two men were done working for the day and were casually talking about what they had planned for tonight. I decided it best to avoid them all-together and continue down the passage.

The tunnel was a lot longer than expected. I passed room after room. Some filled with odd looking machinery and equipment, others were boardrooms and offices. I even passed a hangar full of rusty and beat-up, old mechs.

Just when I was about to give up on this hallway and retrace my steps, I found a large door to my left. Through the keyhole, I could see a man and a woman talking. The man was cloaked in shadows, the only distinct characteristics I could see were his purple wardrobe. In fact, it reminded me a lot of the current Kingadent candidate Slugwraith, but what would an upstanding politician be doing in a place like this? I decided it best to take a closer look. The woman I could make out reasonably well; long hooded cloak, mysterious beauty and high heels. She looked very familiar, but from where?

The door was locked and I couldn’t hear their conversation so I decided to take a mental note of the encounter, retrace my steps to the entrance, and head right instead. I spent a good deal of time sneaking back to that point, making sure that there would be no surprises around any corner. By the time I had made it to the entrance, the flooding sunlight that seeped in through the entranceway had been replaced with the luminescent glow of the moon and a few snowflakes drifting their way inside. A shiver went up my spine as I continued my search.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
4/18/2010 9:36:43   
Postmaster General

Chapter 7- What?!

The unexplored corridor felt much more like a cavern than the previous. The walls slowly faded from brick to pure rock as I continued along. It seemed as though this wing of the underground labyrinth had been added after the rest of the building, in secret. I felt the beginning of a steady decline as the pathway began leading me further down into the bowels of this underworld. Sensing a looming evil, I decided to stretch and equip my pepper spray for immediate use and repulsion of attackers.

To my surprise, however, the hallway was punctuated by a small room which held a ladder leading to a turn valve in the ceiling. I turned around to make sure I was alone, re-stashed my pepper spray, and began my ascent. Once I got to the valve, I noticed it was locked with a pad lock. This was definitely an entrance that was not intended to be accessible by flunkies. Whoever was in charge here, wanted to make sure no one was sneaking in, or out for that matter.

The pad lock was no match for my new bionic appendage. I twisted the valve with ease as the hydraulics in my arm forced the port open. I carefully opened the lid to a sliver, trying to bring as little attention to myself as I could. As I peered around, the realization of my location both astounded me and frightened me deeply. How could they have tunneled here?

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 5/23/2010 13:07:03 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
4/18/2010 9:38:26   
Postmaster General

Chapter 8- Corporate Dealings

I couldn’t believe it. These dastardly villains had actually burrowed all the way into White Castle, home of the Kingadent! The mouth of the tunnel was hidden right behind the throne! This was preposterous, and a direct threat to his highness-in-chief. Action had to be taken; I needed to solve this mystery right away. But doing so would require one last piece to the puzzle, the leader of this organization. Finding this leader turned out to be an easier task than I had presumed.

I closed the door and climbed back down into the tunnel. As I began down the tunnel, I approached a shadowy visage. I could make out that, whoever this was; they were armed with an energy katana. I grumbled at the thought of fighting another ninja. But was completely caught off guard when the mysterious figure moved closer, revealing her identity. It was Anna!

“Anna! What are you doing here? Do you have another lead to the case? Come to think of it, how did you find me?” I was instantly flooded with questions. Nothing about this current situation made sense. Anna no longer had the sense of helpless damsel. She now gave off an aura of a completely different nature; femme fatale.
Anna began, “You really aren’t the brightest energy blade on the rack are you, Duncan?”

I was confused. “Excuse me?” I asked. “I’m afraid I don’t follow.”

“Of course you don’t!” She sneered. “I’ve had you following my bread trail from the second I stepped foot into your office!”

“It is the duty of all SPD Officers to help those in need, whenever they may ask” I recited. The Police force motto seemed like a perfect defense for this prod.

“You still don’t get it do you?” Anna smiled. “Okay, I’m going to spell a few things out for you,” she said as she drew her blade and clutched the hilt. “First of all, my name is not Anna, it is Maria. Second, I am no damsel in distress; I am an emissary to my master. And his plan is to cause terrible destruction and own whatever is left!”

Here, I paused and thought to myself. Was she really spouting off with a monologue? Typical villains. As Maria 3 continued, I readied myself for her assault, which I was sure would follow soon after this rant of hers.

Sure enough, Maria had just finished explaining how her boss is going to organize all sorts of groups into a combined force; when she thrusted the blade to my left. I saw it just in time and stepped to the right. The attack was quick; she had retracted the blade and began another swipe in a blink of an eye. This time, I didn’t move. I stuck my mechanical arm out and took the downward slash directly on my forearm.

I stepped back to assess the damage. There was none! My arm really was miraculous; time to get down and dirty. It was my turn now. I charged in with a berserker like battle cry, “Leeeeerrrrooooy Jenkins!” With a quick jab, I was able to knock the katana out of her hand. Then with my flesh hand, I pushed her against the wall before slamming my bionic hulk of a hand into the wall next to her.

My desired effect was to scare her into submission. It worked. Well, it kind of worked. Maria twitched for a second, and then she started speaking in a higher pitched voice. Her body gave a sudden jerk before emitting a black smoke from her ears. All movement stopped.

A sudden notion that my boot was wet told me to look down. There was a puddle of black liquid pooling on the floor. It was motor oil, she was no human, but in fact, an android!
Here was my answer, whoever had sent Maria to my office, was behind all of this. But why even involve me at all? I was baffled by this mastermind. But understanding his plan was not necessarily my job, only to stop it. I looked around Maria’s person for any signs as to who may have been behind this. The only insignia I could find was on her arm, a tattoo of sorts with the icon of Evilcorp. They couldn’t be behind it could they?

I think I needed to make an appointment with the head of Evilcorp. And I planned on bringing him in.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
4/18/2010 9:39:29   
Postmaster General

Chapter 9- The Waiting Room Game

As always, I figured the best approach was head on. So I made a beeline to Evilcorp headquarters. The corporation building had an enormous entry hall with a lone desk at the adjacent wall to the door. I approached and was greeted, with some astonishment on my part, by Maria! After recovering from my initial surprise, I jumped back and assumed a battle stance, ready to take her on again.

To this she reacted, “Excuse me, may I help you?”

“Erm…I want to see your boss.” I said, slightly taken aback at her civility.

“I’m sorry, but you may only meet Mr. Z by appointment.” She answered quickly.

“Alright, may I make an appointment then?” I said, thinking I had outsmarted her bureaucratic system.

“No,” She answered sheepishly, “no one ever has appointments with Mr. Z. He is a very busy man…err person. He doesn’t have time to waste!”

Now my plan was scrapped, back to the drawing board. I thanked her, turned around and proceeded back out the door. “Oh, wait!” I exclaimed. I had been so busy with that exchange, I had almost forgotten about a burning question I had to get off my chest. “Maria, why did you not just attack me? Did you have a change of heart since the last encounter we shared?”

“I’m sorry; I do not believe we have met before. I was built with advanced facial recognition features, so it is impossible for us to have met previously.” She replied monotonously, as if the response had been programmed into her android circuit board.

After recovering from my confusion, I thanked her, once again, and left the building. How is it we could have not met? We had indeed encountered each other, and on multiple occasions! I was deeply perplexed, but I could not let that get in the way of my mission now. Since my previous plan of making an appointment had not worked, it was time for plan “B”.

Back inside, Maria sat unmoving. Her robotic eyes were glazed over, waiting only to respond to the next visitor, when ever that would be. Little did she expect the explosion that soon occurred.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 4/18/2010 9:41:46 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
4/18/2010 9:41:03   
Postmaster General

Chapter 10-Deadend Lead

Pieces of the shattered wall and glass from the door propelled through the air as I forced my way through the door. Leading with my machine arm, I ran through the wall back into the building lobby. When the dust settled, Maria came into view. She had not moved, I suppose I could expect no less of a robot. This sort of spontaneous explosion could not warrant a preset reaction, which is what I expected all of her responses were. Now was the time to take advantage of this assumption. I continued my momentum and crashed through the wall behind her. To my amazement, the rest of the building was completely empty. It had not been furnished; there were not even walls, just the floor and pillars. I ran to the stairs and ascended to the second floor, the same story. The third floor, no difference, I climbed all the way to the top of the building, floor after floor. I was astounded; there was no way that this whole building was empty. The skyscraper contained nothing but a lobby on the first floor? I had to get to the bottom of this, starting quite literally with heading back down to the lobby. There I found Maria, sitting at her same spot. Turning her head as I re-entered through the hole I had created earlier.

“What is this,” I began, “the entire building is empty!”

“Excuse me, may I help you?” She responded.

“Can you hear me? I asked why this entire skyscraper stands here, but there is nothing occupying any of these rooms!” I was beginning to get angry.

“I’m sorry, but you may only meet Mr. Z by appointment.” She answered. Her responses were familiar, and I knew what her next answer would be.

I instigated to test my theory, “Will you make me a sandwich?” I knew this absurd question would unveil the universal answer that this version of Maria had been programmed to feed to any visitors.

“No,” She answered, just as I expected, “no one ever has appointments with Mr. Z. He is a very busy man…err person. He doesn’t have time to waste!”

My patience was wearing thin. I could see it would be a waste of my time to stay here any longer. I left with a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach; the feeling of disappointment. But, the lead I had lost here could still be put in the case file. I would have to continue this investigation later. For now, it seemed Maria’s owner, Mr. Z., would elude my grasp.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
4/19/2010 12:35:19   
Postmaster General

Chapter 11- Return of the Casefiles

With no other leads, I was forced to give up my investigation for the moment and return to studying case files. If I was to continue improving, I would need to learn from others experience, as well as my own. After having the rush that came from being out in the field, nothing sounded more displeasing than sitting behind my desk reading papers of protocol and procedure.

A brilliant idea came to mind: Donuts! I could run out and fetch donuts for the entire precinct! Certainly that would up morale around the department. The Doughnutary was a little far to walk, and I had no cruiser for the time being. That was a reward given to those who had been on the force longer than I. My only option was to take one of the mechs.

I had learned to operate the giant metal hulks when I was enrolled in GEARS all those years ago, I couldn't have forgotten that much.

It turns out, I could have and did. As I started up the machine, I accidentally caused the weapon system to go off, sending a huge snubnose pistol to go off. Luckily, the arm had been facing out of the hangar, meaning no company damage! What luck, as if my rusty mech skills weren't bad enough, having an arm that matched the mecha itself only added to the trouble. Perhaps it would've been better to just walk to the Galactic Doughnutary, but since I had gotten so far already, I might as well continue.

I could feel the chassis shuddering as I uncoordinatingly lumbered out through the overhead door. I had to wiggle the arms of the goliath a couple times to keep from falling, but I gradually came to finding a pattern. Although the movement was ungraceful, to say the least, I was able to make my way to the corner where the donut shop stands.

Or was it the correct corner? All that was here now, was a pile of rubble. Surely they hadn't decided to tear the shop down. It was such a popular restaurant, there would be no reason for them to demolish it, unless it had been for a remodelling. Just to be on the safe side, I turned the mech around and ran with a speed that was not my own. I made it back to the hangar, parked the mech, and raced on foot back to where the Doughnutary once stood.

When I arrived, I used my mechanical arm as a shovel to dig through the rubble, checking for anyone that may be under the rubble. To my surprise, there was a girl pinned under a sheet of metal, most likely the former roof. I yanked off the scrap with ease and pulled the girl out of the crater she had been trapped in. She was conscious, but in pain.

I set her down a good distance from the rubble, and called dispatch asking for an ambulance.

Once I was sure that transport was on its way, I tried interrogating the girl.

"Are you alright?" I asked, a silly question considering the state of things, but necessary all the same.

The girl nodded to display that she was cognicent enough to react to stimuli. Upon seeing this, I asked "Can you tell me your name?"

"M-Maza....Maza Rella." She said, although I could tell it took much of her strength to speak. Taking that into consideration, I asked only one more question, "Is there anyone else inside?"

"N-no, we had to close early because of a bad batch of Chickencow eggs."

What luck! If that batch hadn't been spoiled, who knows how many civilians could have been injured.

"Thank you, Maza. Now, save your energy. We'll get you to the hospital real soon." She fell asleep soon after I said this, and the ambulance cruiser arrived not long after.

Once we had arrived, Maza's injuries had been treated, and her strength had returned, I continued my questioning.

"Now Maza, can you tell me anything that might have caused the destruction today?"

"I don't know," she said "It was very random. I did, however, hear a sound. A sound like that of a missile as it descends on its target."

"Hmm...Thank you, Miss Rella. It looks like you may need a new job, at least for awhile." I said jokingly.

"No worries!" She said with a smile, "I have two other jobs anyways, one at the Knife and Spork, and one at a new pizza place coming in. It is going to be called Mecharoni's!"

"Good for you!" I exclaimed, "It seems a fitting place for you to work, given your name and all." I chuckled, thinking this last joke was very clever.

"I don't understand," she said questioningly, "what does my name have anything to do with me working at a pizza joint?" Her tone had turned a little sharp near the end, I must have hit a nerve. Apparently, these people with odd names were numerous and touchy.

"Oh, you know....Maza..Rella, like the che....Oh nevermind. I hope you enjoy your new job. I'll come by and visit, and we'll have an officer come by later to finish up with your statement!" I retreated hastily for fear of envoking her wrath.

While talking to her, a peculiar idea had popped into my mind. A missile-like sound just before a large, unexplained explosion. The answer seemed too obvious, it was a missile. My heart skipped a beat as I realized, I had accidentally launched one while trying to leave the hangar earlier, it couldn't be! I raced back to the hangar, got back into the robot, and returned to the spot I had stood when the missile was jettisoned. I used the computer's tracking system to calculate where the missile must have landed, and sure enough, it was the corner where the fallen Doughnutary now lays. What was I to do? What will be my excuse? A quick stroke of genius and I had it: There were hostages! Hostages in the Doughnutary, and I could tell because the rotten Chickencow eggs were the signature of the serial prankster, Waddlesworth! That's it! Surely such an ellaborate story woud spare me the discipline that was sure to come my way if my superiors knew this was my deed!

I headed straight into the Commisioner, Patrick Roll's office to inform him of the 'situation'.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
5/23/2010 21:15:16   
Postmaster General

Chapter 12- Cat-napping
(The first choose-your-adventure installment of the MQ Mystery series)

"Hmm...I see," Commissioner Roll sat back, fingers interlocked as he thought, "well, Duncan, with this recent thwarting, you have proven that you are the officer I have been looking for." Pat stood, adjusted his suspenders and circled his desk. He sat on the lip of the table and folded his arms.

"After seeing your accomplishments earlier today, I have decided you are the perfect man for the job! Zargon officials have informed me that they are in need of help."

I was confused. A job on Zargon? Outside of SPD jurisdiction? What could this be? Deciding it would be best to hold my tongue, I awaited the commissioners further detail.

"You see, there have been recent reports of burglary on Zargon." My mind shot to the superplanet. Zargon was a world filled with citizens of extraordinary caliber. There were those who had the ability of flight, those who were extremely strong, and even those with the envied 'meat-vision'. I discontinued my revision of the planet and returned to the commisioner's message. "....You will most likely find him either in the Zargon Planetary Museum or the SuperCredit Union bank. These are the only two areas that may still hold items of interest. Gather your things and make your way to Zargon. We will provide you the SPD starship for the expedition to Zargon."

Sensing that I was now dismissed, I turned and left Commissioner Roll's office. I turned the corner and walked the hall to my office. Closing the door, I stopped and took in the recent change in events.

My lie had gotten me the job. This was what I had wanted, the chance to prove myself. My chance for glory. But not like this; not through a lie. But if I came clean, if I confessed that I had destroyed the Doughnutary by accident, I would be kicked off the force for sure. The shame had already begun to eat at me. I decided to pack my things, the only way to clear my head was in the line of duty; on the job.

Once I had all my equipment packed, and was ready for the cross-planetary trip, I made my way back to the SPD hangar. It was time to head out.

Upon arriving on Zargon, I was greeted by an enthusiastic youth who seemed to know his way around the planet. He introduced himself as Kent Parker.

"Hello Kent," I said as I extended my hand in greeting, "my name is Duncan. Could you help me out? I'm afraid I'm in a hurry, but have no clue as to where I'm going."

"Sure mister!" the youth yelped in excitement, "you seem to fit right in with the rest of the citizens here on Zargon. I take it your metal arm is your super power?" Kent eagerly began his conversation as we walked through the dock into the main square of the city.

I chuckled at the innocent question, but decided to preserve his youthful ignorance and spare him the details of my prosthetic. "Why yes it is. But you see, I'm not from around here, like it take it you are? What is your superpower?"

The boy jutted out his chest and stuck his thumb to his torso with pride. "My power is the greatest power on all of Zargon. I have the power to communicate telepathically with others through writing. It's a pretty ingenious power, and is a magnification of others' telepathic powers."

I smiled at his angst and decided that the small talk would have to wait. "I wonder if you could give me directions? I need to find..."

To ask Kent Parker to lead you to the Zargon Planetary Museum, go to Post #14
To ask Kent Parker to lead you to the SuperCredit Union Bank, go to Post #15
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
5/24/2010 13:11:25   
Postmaster General

Chapter-13 Zargon Planetary Museum

"I wonder if you could give me directions? I need to find the Zargon Planetary Museum."

"Sure thing! But I don't know why you'd want to go there! The museum is full of old rocks and bones and stuff. I went there once on a fieldtrip for my school. It was no fun. I got in trouble for trying to touch some stuff. I guess it's not alllowed. Some of the kids can fly or run fast, so they were able to get there really early. But the field trip wasn't fun for me at all...."

The youth's incessant chatter continued as he led me to the museum. We traveled through the city streets and towards the mausoleum. My mind raced with the coming investigation. My daydreaming had caused me to miss much of my briefing, so there was much I did not know abouut the coming mission, but what I did know was this: Zargon officials couldn't handle this villain, and they had super powers. Whatever was going on here on Zargon, it was not to be underestimated.

"Mister!" Parker was shouting at me.

"Hm? Sorry, what did you say?"

"I said we're here! You'd think you'd know how to pay attention! Didn't ya go to school? What'd they teach you there?"

"Oh, sorry. We're here?" I looked up at the building I was now standing in front of. It was a well-sculpted building. Statues of famous heroes stood guard in front of the doors, welcoming visitors.

"Thank you, Kent. I must now ask you to leave. This has become official Soluna Police Department business."

"What? I don't think so mister! You might just need my powers!"

"I'm sure I could use you, but I can't risk your safety now. Perhaps when your older, perhaps when your powers are more developed. Then I'll let you come along. Okay?" I tried to negotiate.

Kent moaned and slouched his shoulders. "Fine," he said as he sulked and turned to head down the street, "but you better let me help out once I'm older!" The boy turned, grinned, and held up two fingers. He tried to hide his sadness with his overly happy expression, but I could see his sorrow and understood.

"Very well, little man. I'll make sure to call you one day."

With the proud facade, Kent Parker left me there in front of the museum.

I entered the lobby and took a look around. I was surrounded by marble flooring and ceramic pillars.

< Message edited by Sheriff Duncan -- 5/24/2010 13:12:12 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> MechQuest >> (MQ) MechQuest Mystery
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition