Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Tainted Soul

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Tainted Soul
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/22/2010 11:41:05   
Alpha Atom

Tainted Soul

Comments Thread

AQW Epic  Post #: 1
2/22/2010 11:42:32   
Alpha Atom

The previous night

It was a dark stormy night as Obsidian lay in bed. The rain pounded the window sill and the moon only shone through gaps in the clouds making a ghostly representation in the dust that floated around his room. Then his window blew open. The wind whistled violently and his curtains shook, the rain blew in, instantly drenching his bed. Obsidian leaped toward the window to try and shut it. It wouldn’t close. He tried and tried again to shut the window but it wouldn’t budge.

Then I did it. I made it happen really quickly, done in a second.

The next day

She called him; he didn't come. "Obsidian, get down here now, your breakfast is ready." his mother shouted. That was it, she'd had enough: she went up the stairs to get him out of bed. As she burst into the room she screamed, she screamed really loudly. There she was staring at my doings; there was Obsidian lying on the floor. His skin, white as a sheet. You may be thinking it was just pale but no, it was pure white. She ran over to check his breathing. As she touched his pale skin she felt cold shivers bouncing up her arm. A sense of fear crept into the very depths of her body. Obsidian was cold; his eyes were misty and you could no longer see the deep blue that had once shone from his iris'. Mary put her hand over his heart, praying it would beat; it didn't. Tears welled up inside her eyes, then flooded down her face.

She ran down the stairs, out the house and cried out "My son, my beautiful son! He's dead!" Villagers came out of their houses to see what was going on. She was on her knees now, crying with her arms spread out toward the sky. A few villagers came to comfort her, many just huffed and returned to their houses.

"It's alright, Mary, just tell us what happened," one of the villagers said softly.

"I just went upstairs and there he was, dead, white as snow," she said, between sobs.

The villagers were in shock. I knew I'd have to wait now or even move before striking again. An older villager, named Kevin emerged from his house. He had wrinkly skin and weak looking legs. I panicked, I'd struck his house before. He would know. Maybe he knew it was me.

He shivered and then spoke, "This is not the first death of its kind. Way back when I was fourteen my sister, she died, white as a sheet she was. Exactly like you said your son was." A wave of relief came over me, I knew he didn't know as much as I'd first expected. Then the sky rumbled and the heavens opened. The villagers ran back to their stone houses.

Maybe I could strike again, I was feeling as if the boy wouldn't last me very long. He hadn't been very pure.

I guess I should probably explain what I mean, I'm a spirit - a ghost if you like. I'm part of a large band of spirits and we all have a job, a duty. My job, is to cleanse the world of evil. It kind of all works out nicely, because the world is a nicer place and I get energy. You see, I get my energy from souls and that is the part of the body that I take. Of course this is the very essence of the person, so unfortunately they die. There are other spirits like me, one in particular, the opposite of me, revives the dead and reincarnates them as new beings. Others like, Spirit Nature, she takes care of all nature, makes it rain, makes the sun shine and pretty much controls everything. The one thing we all have in common is we all need souls, but that's it, some of us are even mortal enemies. But that's enough about that, back to my story.

I'd have to find a new village, a shame really, this one was so beautiful. It had a large centre well with ivy creeping up the side, although the well was empty, it had been blocked up with concrete years ago. Now the insides were left in disrepair, lichen plagued the sides and moss poked out through the cracks embedded into the well. The paths that were spread around the village were just beaten out earth where the grass didn't grow. Most of the houses had thatched roofs and the walls were completely engulfed in moss, you could only tell that they were made of stone because where the walls met the roof, it was rather dry and the moss couldn't grow. Obsidian's house, however, was different: large and with three floors it looked as if his family was rather important. As nice as the village was, I had to leave.

You see, if people speak my name in my presence, I am no longer invisible, my name is Spirit Death. Now you can see how this is a problem, people are always talking about the deaths and someone is sure to mention the name.

< Message edited by Alpha Atom -- 3/4/2010 15:33:36 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 2
2/22/2010 11:43:54   
Alpha Atom

"Don't move," a low, quiet voice said. Ko jumped but obliged, she was scared. "Now turn around slowly and hand me that scroll" the voice demanded. Ko had found some courage and defiantly said "No. It's not yours and I'm taking it to my father." But as she turned around her confidence drained. The "voice" turned out to be a fully grown adult with a mace. Ko was only fourteen and had no weapons, she hadn't a chance of beating the man. "Now sweetcakes, give me the scroll." he said mockingly with an innocent smile. She analysed the situation, it was a dark alleyway with high walls. The walls weren't covered with moss so wouldn't be slippery. She had two choices, give the man the scroll and risk her father's life or run and risk her own. She chose number two. She leaped against the wall and pushed off, she bounced from wall to wall until she was higher than the man. "Quite the little acrobat I see," called the man.

Ko managed to get over him and start running. She could run fast but the man was older and probably faster. Although, to her advantage she knew all the shortcuts in Woldon, if only I could shake him off my tail... she thought. A pedestrian swerved out of the way as she ran through the crowds of people. Then she realised ; the man wouldn't last long, he'd planned to get her in the alley where it was dark. Out here it was broad daylight and a man with a mace wouldn't exactly be inconspicuous. Around every corner she went, she checked behind to see if he was still following her.

"Damn!" she called out. She'd hit a dead end. As she checked behind she saw the man skid round the corner waving his mace angrily. She hadn't a choice, the man would kill her ; she attempted the climb the wall but this time, being covered in moss, she slipped and fell at the feet of the man. Realising she had no chance she managed, rather weakly, to give the man the scroll. Despite the man getting what he wanted, he was angry so he took the blunt end of the mace and brought it down on her head, knocking her out.

Ko awoke, rather dizzy and confused, she had no idea where she was. As her eyes slowly opened, she winced as bright sunlight shot straight into her eyes. As she rubbed her eyes to relieve herself from the sudden burst of light, someone shouted "She's awake!". At that moment several people burst through the doorway and gathered around her bed. She could recognize a few faces, especially her parents, hovering over with her with concerned looks upon their faces. Although, she was sure the concerned look on her fathers face was more concerned about his safety rather than hers. As she looked deeper into his face, hoping for at least some comfort but he just returned her look with an icy stare. It reminded her of the icy stare of the man with the mace. As she relived the moment, she could feel the spot where she'd been hit, it was aching and it felt scabby. Her father looked back at her and said, flatly, "You should get some rest." with that he left the room along with all the other members of my family. She obliged.

Ko was awoken from her sleep, by her father who was accompanied by two large bulky men, who loomed over Ko. She didn't know what was going on, at first she thought her father had sent the men to kill her, but no, she realised it was for something different, they weren't carrying weapons. After, a short an awkward pause, one of the men began to speak.
"We heard about, your encounter with Jean LeJean." the first man said.
"Who?" inquired Ko.
"The man who attacked you the other day." the second man said, the words rolling out so smoothly, it was almost as if he had rehearsed them.
"Anyway, your father has decided, you are ready." the first man continued.
"Ready for what?" Ko said, looking rather confused and quite scared.
"You know, the training." the man said using the same flat tone he'd used the whole conversation.
Ko's heart skipped a beat. The training, she thought. This is what she'd always dreamed of. She would be Ko, the first female Trained One. In case you're wondering, her father ran an organisation of highly trained combat warriors, called the Trained Ones. They would learn all sorts of things, even how to manipulate the energy in the air to do insane moves. All this training was for a cause, they were training to defeat a band of people who attempted to find the scrolls to complete the training themselves. One of the scrolls, was the one Ko had been transporting. Luckily, it hadn't been an original, her father kept the originals locked away in a safe that only he could open, you could fill an entire book with the different things you have to do to open the safe but lets just say, it requires incredibly precise skill and power.
"Please meet us at the training door tomorrow" said the first man. With that, he left the room, followed by my father and the second man.

< Message edited by Alpha Atom -- 3/25/2010 13:53:59 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Tainted Soul
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition