Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 51 - Luck of the Believing (Tolan)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 51 - Luck of the Believing (Tolan)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/1/2010 16:56:50   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Luck of the Believing
By J. M. Tolan

Luck is... An interesting thing.

As you've probably found (Or will find, if you haven't read far yet), the amount of superstition surrounding luck on Terra borders on the absurd. From charms to rituals to ingrained beliefs, it seems like everything can be taken as unlucky if you want it to be. And most of them seem arbitrary; black cats, ladders, and mirrors would have little else in common otherwise.

Even the charms to help luck suffer from a lack of sensibility. I mean, really, couldn't you put that horseshoe to better use on a horse? Then it could be both lucky, and useful. And do you really have time to go searching through a field of tiny plants looking for the one-in-a-million freak? And come on... What kind of heartless monster cuts off a cute little bunny's foot just to put it on a keychain?

Personally, I am of the belief that luck falls under two separate, and entirely different, columns; confidence, and miracles.

Confidence luck usually manifests in charms. The holder of the charm believes it gives them luck, and this gives them a boost in confidence. It's the confidence boost, and not the charm itself, that manifests. While the charm may be useful, the effect can be accomplished without it, and it would certainly save one bunny a good bit of pain.

I don't mean to say those who find charms useful should not use them, of course. If it works for you, it works for you. But to say that the charm itself is the reason is just patently false. The minute the user stops believing, the charm looses its power, because it looses the ability to boost confidence.

Miracles, on the other hand, are what others might describe as "pure luck". They are unquestionably good things that happen to you at precisely the right moment, and to many this may be called "being lucky". But these, I would say, are not random events. If they were random events, they would be luck, but they simply aren't. If things were left to chance, these moments of "luck" wouldn't happen nearly as often. And yet, they do; even if they're small, people catch breaks much more often than they miss them.

This, I am convinced, cannot be random. No matter how small the moment of "luck", the great tendency for it to be good rather than bad implies that there is something larger at work. Some kind of intelligence, guiding it to be so. And if there is an intelligence guiding it to be so... Well, is something not random still luck?

At the end of the day, I suppose, it comes down to, what you look for, you will find. You may find luck, or a lack thereof. You may see magic, or a boost in confidence. You may see random chance.

Or you can see miracles.

*Editor's note: Views expressed here are solely the views of the writer and does not represent The Zardian or AE Entertainment.*
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
3/6/2010 17:37:46   
xehanort

quote:

What kind of heartless monster cuts off a cute little bunny's foot just to put it on a keychain?

Hehe *Smirks*

Yeah, i never really understood why people had those silly charms either, it just struck me as odd and silly.
AQ DF  Post #: 2
3/7/2010 2:09:20   
Ganden

... Believe it or not, that was actually entirely unintentional. I actually hate Kingdom Hearts. >> << ^^;;

Yeah. I mean, I'll grant it's fuzzy and cute, but... It's much fuzzier and cuter when it's alive.

-Tolan

We have enough people who tell it like it is;
we need more people who tell it like it should be.
--My motto for life.
MQ  Post #: 3
3/7/2010 12:07:55   
lonewulfy
Banned

So... wait. Considering all the rabbits any of the monsters had eaten when they were young... does that explain some of the freakishly high luck stats?

Like the Gogg, for example. Insanely high LUK stat, and it probably got that from sneaking up on rabbits while it was still young, and eating all 4 of their feet. Assuming each foot is worth 5 LUK points, the average Gogg has eaten 40 rabbits. The insects... they probably get it from all the clovers they fly around, and spear, stealing their luck.

...Maybe we'd better stop the slaughter, by killing even more Goggs and insects.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 51 - Luck of the Believing (Tolan)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition