Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

What's the Expiration Date On That Baby?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> What's the Expiration Date On That Baby?
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/6/2010 2:05:38   
Jadugarr

Story Link

I wrote a short story for my creative writing class. Thought it was pretty fun to write.
As it turns out, it's fun to expand on it.

Of course, to start, there is very little sense to be made from the current story details.
Because I'm cool like that, guys.

If you read any of the story before I posted this comments thread, you may want to go back to read some of the chunks that I just added in.

This first chapter is still in progress.
DF MQ  Post #: 1
3/15/2010 19:43:49   
Jadugarr

Okay, so the introduction is now complete.
I may add more to it once I get started on the next part, once I get back into the groove of using the narrator’s voice.
It’d be a bit too difficult to do now, knowing I can’t identify with his mood.

Have fun.
DF MQ  Post #: 2
3/19/2010 17:37:45   
Fleur Du Mal

Your story makes my brain tick. I really enjoyed what I read so far. Crazy dialogue, pretty vibrant. It's not the easiest story to read, as who says what in the very beginning is not that clear (in addition, there's the narrator coming in and out of the quotes.) Then again, overexplaining would probably break the mood.

I'm not sure yet if I'd wish for clearer transitions from the characters acted talking to the actors talking. That might be something that could benefit the story a bit from clearing it out. Anyways, looking for your next update. =)

A few typos I happened to stumble across:
quote:

All of a sudden, “Pop,” their out, “Gone.”

'they're'
quote:

The dead suns of the sky give their last light to look upon a man fall into honest dreams.

I think everything else was in past tense, so, 'gave'

I take it that the continuous changes in how Melomothamuel's name is written are on purpose?
DF  Post #: 3
3/20/2010 18:27:40   
Jadugarr

Thanks, those typos have been fixed.

quote:

I take it that the continuous changes in how Melomothamuel's name is written are on purpose?

The name's too long to remember.
:P
DF MQ  Post #: 4
3/25/2010 23:38:38   
Jadugarr

Okay, I added an extra bit to the story, right at the end.
I need some help with this narrative, because I can't see things from the same perspective as the reader.

I would like to know if anyone can accurately point out who is speaking in the following conversations:

quote:

“I’m not saying it was you—am I passing blame here? No. Conclusions. I’m just trying to draw some conclusions,” all of which end up, impressively, spitting out every syllable of your name.

“A dollar on the knight. You’re just pissing with him; no way can he do nothing like that;” smugly intruded a man who should probably be speaking a hell of a lot less, “look at those pretty mittens of his.”

“Shut up, Archer. Just shut up. Hear of ropes? We got a few here; pretty handy things—useful for shutting a few throats. I’m not messing with you! It’s real, no smokes and mirrors, sir. The man on T.V. said not to try at home, but damn me, I’m feelin’ a little naughty.” Say something to that, say something. Speak up.

“I was not at fault. I don’t know who did, but I had done nothing to cause any harm,” replied Mel with a virtuousness waltzing his words about the room. “I’ll speak no more of it. If you cannot believe me, then there will be no persuading of what you believe.” Pretentious jerk. “It’d be false of me.”

quote:

“I only pulled a couple from the stack.”

“S’fine—got into the moment, anyhow, Mel; I really only needed one. Pen?” As in the on you are holding quite tightly to that plated chest of yours?

“You have my pen.”

Uh, no? What? You have your pen. “What?”

He coughs—nervous. Confident I would understand. There is excitement, a sense of joy—he kids. Nothing but a joke. “Hilarious. The pen, now. Less breaking of your own Fourth-Wall.” Bland trilogy; complete fantastical garbage. “Dawn’s not trash.”

“Of course not.” Shut up, Mel.

“Shut up, Mel. Now, show me those pretty pits of yours.” You may feel a slight pinch. I sincerely doubt it, though. “Pushpins make me feel good.”

quote:

“We need a better transition.” More inherent, less rash. “I’m thinking: tumor. Tumors are fun, right? They’re ‘in?’”

Dawn’s hand moves. Fingers held up softly against her chin. A flex in her left ankle as she lifts her heels on her toes; she wants to speak. Refuses. Get that thought off your head—I wouldn’t mind a new perspective. You think the old guy’s going to open his mouth? Sense flows from that man like clumps of hair through a faucet.

“I’m solid that fantasy tales don’t ever involve tumors. That would be the worst plot device ever conceived by anyone—ever.” Shut up, Archer. “Now, Leprosy? Elegant move. And—fairies can’t heal lepers. It’s practically fact.”

“Y’know, it’s finally happened.” Now we got to go back. Got to change everything; you change one detail, “One damned detail—now you got to change everything!” When was the last time? Guy was brooding. Way too much brooding; completely out of character. “The entire story was him batman-ing the world like Fitts to a bag in the wind. You know what I had to do? Changed the entire theme—kept the character.” Half-a-year. Five months bashing in keys with my forehead.

If there's any part of the story that I want to be clear, it's the dialogue.
If you need a bit more context for the quotes I've pasted on the page, just head over the story thread. They shouldn't be hard to find.
DF MQ  Post #: 5
4/7/2010 20:19:45   
Jadugarr

Alright, so instead of forcing myself to have the narrator think of gimmicky, unnatural lines to point out who is speaking and when, I added a little script-like touch to make the thoughts of the main character come off as much more genuine and more intact with whatever emotions are warping his process of thought. Now, unquestionably, you will be able to know who is speaking. That should be a win in your guys’ books.

So, yeah. I traded in a confusing gimmick for an immensely clutter-y one.
At least now I can continue to write the story without worrying about the format.

I also made a few other edits that you won't ever notice.
:P

< Message edited by Jadugarr -- 4/7/2010 20:20:47 >
DF MQ  Post #: 6
4/10/2010 15:37:56   
Jadugarr

The second chapter is now up.
There's still one small section I need to add to it, but that will take some time to work out.
DF MQ  Post #: 7
4/11/2010 19:58:49   
Jadugarr

Second chapter is complete.

That was the most fun I've ever had writing a conversation.
I should attack my writing more often.
DF MQ  Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> What's the Expiration Date On That Baby?
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition