Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Dragon and Rider: Dracology report review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Dragon and Rider: Dracology report review
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/9/2010 2:17:18   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Commentary goes here

Dracology report review
By Sentharn and Eukara Vox

We take you to the living room of the rogue, Chrysa, and her juvenile dragon, Talvan. A local team of Dragonologist have published several papers on their research, prompting Chrysa and Talvan to read the articles.

The young dragon, although biologically similar to its older kin, behaves far differently than the fully-grown members of Draco Volans. Immature dragons are often impulsive, lacking the prerequisite behavioral/mental structures required for formal rational thought, which is not developed until well into the second Cycle...

"Look, Chrysa! Did you see what they said about me?! What do they mean, 'impulsive'? I am not 'impulsive'! Just because Master Trystan blamed me for the sand-pit incident*..."

"Talvan, my love, do not take this to heart. You cannot help it that you are meant to be impulsive. It is a natural thing. Oh, and I have spoken to Trystan about the haystacks*, too"

"But they called me impulsive! You know that I am hardly impulsive! Impulsive implies that I cause trouble!"

"Tut, tut, heart sister. I wouldn't say you cause trouble...I just think you are overly exuberant concerning your friends and your studies. You are not, by any means, a trouble maker. Late night snacking is a natural part of growing up...even if you proceeded unconventionally."

"That was Nirven's fault! He started it! We never would have gotten into the larder* if he hadn't talked me into it, but he never gets in trouble! He's always the nice dragon, all civil and respectable."

"Ooooh, Talvan, don't blame this on Nirvan. It takes two to get into trouble. Now, let's get on with this article. I need to make sure it checks out."

"Oh, fine then! Let's see what else they say..."

...The young dragon is often vain in the excess and playfully arrogant when confronted about the fact. It does not help matters that humans encourage this behavior by their continual affection. Dragons naturally appear beautiful to humans, which provides an illusionary reinforcement of their relative aesthetics...

"See? Even these authors respect the natural beauty of dragons such as myself! And besides, it's my parents' fault, not mine! I think my irresistible beauty must have come from my mother..."

"Well, dear heart, there are times when you could probably be less than vocal about your beauty."

"'Less vocal'? I am hardly vocal of my good looks! After all, it goes without saying that I am one of the most beautiful dragons around."

"Sweetheart, on the contrary. You are very 'vocal' about this. Just last week, you sat on someone, preening, waiting for them to compliment you. You didn't move until they showered you with adoration! You were on their chest...You are not a light feather of a dragonet, you know!"

"But I'm entitled to compliments and attention, and they continued to ignore me! I didn't mean to scratch him with my claws, I really didn't. But he was trying to throw me off!"

"I was in the middle of business, O arrogant one! Talvan, it is unbecoming of a young female dragonet to sit atop another person, no matter the reasoning. It would behoove you to wait politely for admiration, because trust me, it is there. Your gorgeous blue hide is like a sapphire in the sun."

"Well, I guess when you put it that way..."

...contrary to popular belief, dragons are not savages, nor do they regularly plunder or burn human settlements. Indeed, they possess an extremely civil and mature society established around tri-tone and sixth-step musical harmonies as a language (For more information, see "A Chorus of Dragons", Vox, and "The Musical Lizard", Phoenix)...

"Now these authors know what they're talking about! Us dragons are hardly the immature savages you humans make us out to be. They even called me 'civil'!"

"Let's not assume anything. The writer said that dragons are civil. I do not recall reading the text as 'Indeed, Talvan is an extremely civil individual.' This was a general statement. And I would like to point out that the writer goes on to speak of maturity. Dear heart, it would be a stretch to put yourself under that title."

"Maturity, you say? And might you be implying that I may be lacking in that particular characteristic?"

"Believe what you want. But remember that you are young, sister of my heart. Age does equal maturity and you are young. But do not fret, no one expects you to be an adult right now."

"Hmph."

...The mythologies that surround dragons vary from culture to culture. In most western civilizations, the dragon is not a benevolent creature. For some reason, the people of these areas feared and personified these noble beasts as thieves and hoarders - beasts who needed sacrifices to appease their horrible natures. Only one western dragon was considered benevolent - Y Ddraig Goch, the Red Dragon of Wales. Frequently, western art portrays the dragonslayer, in all of his grandeur impaling a noble dragon in victory....

"Dragonslayers? Eeek! How barbaric! And here you were saying how dragons weren't necessarily civilized..."

"Woah, woah, woah, back it up girl! I never said dragons weren't necessarily civilized. Do not put words in my mouth. Just because I am reading this article doesn't mean a thing. Reading does not equal belief."

"Perhaps you did not say it, but you surely implied it...but even if you did not, it should be obvious, just by observing representatives of my kin such as myself."

"I think that maybe I will have a little talk with Master Trystan. Apparently, she is not doing a good job instilling virtues in my dragon. Maybe a little more finishing classes are in order..."

"Let's not be hasty...perhaps we should finish this article."

...Eastern cultures revered the dragon as either an ancestor, god or keeper of wisdom. Dragons were noted as bringers of luck and were worshiped for their many altruistic characteristics. It is commonly said that to be a dragon in the Eastern parts of the world was heavenly. It is only here that the dragons can take human form and walk among the very people they are to protect....

"Keepers of wisdom, you say? These authors obviously have very good taste. Why, it is obvious that my father--"

"What, passed on his wisdom to you? Let's not count our dragon eggs before they hatch. Or should we discuss the sand-pit Incident again?"

"No need to bring that back up...I was merely suggestion that dragons are very wise and mature creatures that have regularly saved Human-kind's posterior on a regular basis since ancient times ."

"Uh huh. Quite the opinion you have of yourself and your kind. I will not deny that dragons are noble, intelligent wonderful creatures. I also know better than to prescribe to the common mythology that places dragons among the uncouth beings of the world. But, my dear, you have a long way to go..."

"Of course; even such a lovely being as myself could stand a little improvement."

...however, in recent times, human-kind's view of dragons has switched from that of the supernatural and divine to a more realistic approach; with the advance of the historical Archives and an increase of Dracological studies, the true nature of dragons has been brought to light. These creatures are neither divine nor immortal, although some species live such long lives that they may indeed seem godlike. They are sentient beings, complete with intelligent cognitive processes, self-awareness, emotional content, and temperament.

In fact, recent studies have introduced a fascinating correlation into the human-dragon relationship: when a dragon and a human bond, the temperaments of the human and dragon are often molded to complement each other. Indeed, some have said that dragons reflect the 'unseen, unknown half' of the human in each human-dragon pair, and each member of the pair completes the other...

"What?! 'Molded'? Dragons don't need 'molded'! We're perfectly fine the way we are, and we most certainly do not need 'completed'! What are they talking about, Chrysa?"

"Simply that, upon our bonding when you hatched, we made a connection. A solid, intertwining connection that took our personalities and made them inseparable. You came along and became what I needed to survive. You are the part of me that I cannot express. You make me whole. You complete me."

"I never thought of it that way. Well...I suppose you...made me whole as well. We're inseparable. So does that mean I am you, or you are I, or we are both?"

"I cannot imagine the insanity of losing you. I would be empty. As it is, everyone always comments on how perfectly you fill in the gaps. Hmmm, how about we are us?"

"I don't think I could live without you, either. We are us...it has a ring to it, don't you think? We are us, forever!"

"Yes, forever. Hmmm, forever...You know I love you right, Talvan? If this is going to be forever, we may need to work on the growing up thing with you. I mean, I know it will happen eventually..."

"I love you too, Chrysa, but...'Growing up thing'?

"Yes. After all, you are so prideful of that mature society of yours discussed in the article. Surely such a society has a stage where immaturity and uncertainly is to be expected? Growing up is a normal part of Life."

"I need to grow up? Who's been constantly goofing off for the past few weeks? Playing tricks and games? Deadlines are there for a reason, Chrysa! The Dewball incident* could have been avoided entirely had you simply gotten your work done in time. Of course, being a dragon, I am already perfectly grown up."

"The Dewball incident? I cannot believe you just brought that up! Writing isn't easy. But you wouldn't know that now would you, considering you snore the WHOLE time I am trying to write! That was low, Talvan. I mean, that comment has dropped you down the hierarchy of 'mythical' beasts. I think the Kelpies are higher than you now."

"KELPIES**?! Watery tarts in ponds and rivers? I am obviously far superior than any moist mythical horse could be. I, after all, can fly."

"The truth hurts, heart sister..."

*Chrysa and Talvan want to reassure you that you do NOT want to know...you just don't.
**Many "mythical" creatures consider Kelpies towards the bottom of the social ladder. Their underhanded tactics and uncouth habits make them slight outcasts.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 1/7/2012 12:15:38 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Dragon and Rider: Dracology report review
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition