Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Ballad of a Hero (Monologue script)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Ballad of a Hero (Monologue script)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/29/2010 22:58:15   
Elnaith

Comment thread

(Setting: Dark room, spotlight on the Man, who is dressed in all black clothes, sitting on a chair, with a black backpack in front of him.)

MAN: (Thoughtful, distant.) I still remember it well, I was just jogging a bit, all relaxed and without worries, when suddenly a giant explosion reached my ears. The explosion was soon followed with screams, a smoke plume in the air, and a stampede running towards me, For a reason I still do not understand, I went against survival instinct and against the horde of people, almost getting trampled in the process. When I reached the plume, I saw a building.. Burning..
(Grasps for breath, and pain shows in his face, but he quickly regains composure). I.. I.. I ran inside, not knowing what I would do there, what I could do, but unable to resist the impulse. Once inside, the sight was astonishing.. a wreckage, the ceiling had come partly down, pillars on the floor, fires.. and.. (Voice grows a bit hoarse). Death, so much death. (Voice distant again.) I am emotional about it now, but at that time I barely noticed, maybe I expected it unconsciously, I don't know, but then I merely scanned for signs of life, and finding none, went through a doorway which was still intact. The hall I entered was empty, save some rubble which had rolled in from the three doorways leading from it.. As it was empty I paid no heed and just ran in the first doorway I saw..
(Suddenly focused.) But right now I wonder why it was so clear there, as if the path was left for me to run through. (Shivers.) Cold in here. (Rummages through backpack where he finds, and puts on, a black coat, and sighs in relief.)
(Distant again.) The room I entered was carnage, I saw electronics smashed, a fire raging on one side of the room, and.. (He pauses for a bit and takes a deep breath before resuming in an almost mechanical voice.) One man, around 30 years old, with a piece of wood through his chest, probably death on impact, two women, age indistinguishable, severely burned and no sign of life. But also..
(Voice grows suddenly grows warm.) One small child, 4 or 5 years old, and he was breathing! I quickly checked him and saw he was okay save a heavy arm injury and some minor injuries. So I picked him up quickly and ran outside, pushing him in the hands of a person just standing there.
(Distant again.) Then I turned around and ran back in, ignoring shouts which probably told me to stay out, and into the other doorway.. But it was blocked by fire, which was starting to make my polyester running attire very soft already, so I moved on. The next hallway was also clean, and presented a choice between two others, but as one was filled with rubble, the choice was quickly made.
(Focused.) Why were all these hallways so clean? Why? (Crosses arms and shivers.) It.. is.. sooo cold! (Now he grabs a black hat from the backpack and puts it on.)
(Distant.) The doorway that was clear led to a room filled with carnage again, I vaguely realized that this used to be a class or something, but at this time there was not much left, broken desks, discarded books.. and.. (Voice grows very hoarse, barely understandable.) Bodies.. oh so many bodies, even in my state I didn't dare to count, the scene, it hurts to think about it.. the blood.
(Suddenly warm voice.) But in the midst of that a body moved. Upon inspection it was a child of around 13 years, with a wooden splinter through her arm, and quite a blow to her head.. But alive. I grabbed her and ran all the way back again, again not registering who I gave her too before running in again, with shouts behind me. (Shivers again, laboured breathing, eyes wide open.) C.co...cold so.. co.. old. (Takes black scarf out of the backpack and puts it on.)
(Distant.) This went on for a while, always only one clean hallway as option.. I got 6 more, 3 boys, a Man, and 2 girls, out of the building, my body aching more with every step, my clothes almost melted to my body, and the shouts behind me ever more persistent, but I would not stop.. Until I entered that one room.
(Warm and tender voice.) My body was aching all over, and I knew this would be my last trip, there was no way I could go again. The room I entered was empty, well compared to most.. Just some rubble, and a small trail of blood.. Leading up to her, 20 year old woman, and the most beautiful I had ever seen. Her eyes turned up at me in a hopeful way but at the same moment I knew she had no hope left. She was in excruciating pain, one arm completely twisted, and a long splinter right through her chest.. (Voice growing more and more intense.) I knew she wouldn't make it, I knew she would die, whatever I did I could NOT help her..
(Calms down and continues with a warm but somewhat desperate voice.) But I could not just leave her there to die... All alone, an angel caught in a scene of despair.. Nay, I could not do that, my emotionless shield I had all that time was shattered, and I picked her up tenderly, whispering comforting words. As I turned around to go to the exit, I saw that the doorway I had come through was no longer passable, the fire had spread to the room. So I went ahead, hoping to find another way out, all the while whispering comforting words in her ear.
(Voice now full of desperation.) That was why I stumbled upon him, a boy of about 7 years, alive.. His legs were twisted, but he seemed to have no fatal injuries. I could not leave him there to die, but I could not carry both..(Voice frantic.) How could I choose who to take!?
(Suddenly focused and distant.) Well, that was actually quite simple.. I had to take the boy, he had a chance. The girl was dying.
(Desperation is back, grows heavier quickly.) But that was merely cold reasoning, I could not leave her there to die either, not in this much pain. And as she moaned in pain to confirm, my decision was made. I set her down against a wall, and our eyes locked.. Her eyes conveying, hope but also what I then saw as love. My face went closer to hers, and our lips locked for what seemed like an eternity, but could have been not more than a couple of seconds.
(Distant, but with a hint of grief.) As my hands pulled away from her neck, I realized what I had done.. (Eyes grow wide, staring into emptiness, voice starts hoarse but grows to a despairing scream.) Death, death.. Death.. DEATH!
(Visibly calms himself down, and starts with a focused, but still noticeably emotional voice.) I brought the boy outside, and wanted to run back in. But they restrained me. 'Too dangerous,' they said. I did not care, but I could not win, could not break free, so I resigned and sat down. Got transported to the hospital to treat my injuries, and to get the molten plastic off me. It is all a blur to me.. I remember visiting the people I had saved, but I can't recall much of what we spoke of.. I only recall her face, her hope in me, and her surprise in those final moments, was it betrayal or salvation? I don't know.. I just know that it was both for me, and neither.. (Looks at his hands.) These hands though.. They will always remember what they've done. But I can live with it. Yes, yes I can. (Shivers, face shows pain.) Where.. Where am I? Why.. why is it soo.. cold. (Rummages in his backpack whilst staring right ahead of him, audience sees him pulling on red gloves, but he does not.)
(Completely focused.) Yes.. Yes I can banish the pain.. I can get away from here. (Looks around him, all the while mumbling positive words to himself, until he suddenly notices he hands. He recoils and falls off his chair. Voice turns screaming, going into loud rambling.) BLOOD! So much blood, how can one building have so much blood and death!? And how could I have contributed to it.. My own hands added to the count. (He suddenly stops, and his face suddenly turns fearful, as he slowly looks upwards. His gaze finally focuses on one spot, and he jumps up and points at it whilst screaming.) YOU! Why did you put me through this, why did you push me into despair!?
(Rambling.) How can I live in a society who proclaimed me a hero, "Running hero saves the day" the tabloids screamed.. Only to forget about me 1 week after. A society blissfully unaware of my deeds, of my shame that you caused. You're an angel, yes, but one of death. The clean hallways.. The passage that became blocked. It was your doing, you forced me through this, but for what? Do you enjoy my break down, do you enjoy my suffering, or the incomprehension I face? Don't come closer to me, get away. (He moves backwards in fear, knocking over the chair.)My body is mutilated enough, I don't need you to touch it again, get away from me! (He moves further backwards in fear.) Stop! No.. Don't drag me with you. You have done enough already, I saved lives, I.. cannot escape the memories that you brought. Pain, but love, hope, but it was all lost. (Pauses, and seems to come to a realization.) Life.. But in return for.. (Resigned whisper.) Death!
(He drops to the floor, motionless.)

< Message edited by Elnaith -- 5/30/2010 10:20:51 >
AQ DF  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Ballad of a Hero (Monologue script)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition