Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =Elemental Championship= Sign ups now open.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =Elemental Championship= Sign ups now open.
Page 6 of 8«<45678>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/16/2010 19:50:10   
Ruin

I edited Feng, I realized I didn't give him a weapon...I actually think I owuld want to change the element since I remembered I already have a Geonmancer, would this be alright?
AQ  Post #: 126
6/16/2010 22:15:08   
The Dragon Knight

If you need to make any changes to a character that has already been approved, they need to be run by Kell first. Send him a PM with any proposed changes before you modify the character that was already approved. This includes the additions of any weapons. You don't want to incur the wrath of the RP Gods by looking like you tried to slip something past the guy doing the judging.
AQ  Post #: 127
6/17/2010 0:17:35   
superjars

We absolutely do not want anyone having too easy of a time advancing to the finals! :P And if any of your RP friends are debating about joining the EC, convince them too. Even if they are new or don't know if they are the best at Combat RPing, this is still going to be good experience and a lot of fun! :D
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 128
6/17/2010 2:11:31   
Isis

I'd like to heed a recommendation given and apply. From what date will this thread no longer accept applications?

(Apologies for my laziness if this is clearly stated in the Rules; eyes fell out about ten* three pages ago.)

EDIT
* Total page count including ones from previous EC threads.

< Message edited by Isis -- 6/17/2010 2:16:57 >
Post #: 129
6/17/2010 8:39:41   
Alexandria Serthes

quote:

Registration is now open, and will continue until June 23rd, unless there is a large number of applicants. If that is the case, I will close registration and begin the tourney early. The elimination round will begin as soon as registration and approval is finished, and last approximately two weeks. At that point Champions will be announced, and the finals will begin.

And quote.
Hi Isis. *looks at fire element* I sooo want to fight whatever character you come up with.
Because fighting with your characters is such fun!
DF AQW  Post #: 130
6/17/2010 14:53:42   
Kellehendros
Eternal Wanderer

Lycan, I saw your edits, they are fine.

Attention to all RPers, this post is to advise you to think carefully, very carefully, before submitting an entrant. If the application is rejected, you are more than welcome to edit the entrant into a more acceptable state, or to try a different entrant. However, once your application has been accepted, you will not be allowed to change your entrant without first getting permission from me. And there had best be a good reason for the change.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 131
6/17/2010 14:58:49   
The Dragon Knight

The RP Gods have spoken.
AQ  Post #: 132
6/17/2010 15:04:18   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

Also known as yet another rule and guideline that, while it should be Common Sense, has proven to be necessary to spell out and codify. *sigh* Oh how times change, and not always for the betterment of all.
AQ  Post #: 133
6/17/2010 15:30:44   
The Dragon Knight

~patpats the Ferret~ It's alright, we'll show them one day. Yes, hehehe, we'll show them ALL!!! Haha.... ha...wuhahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

. . .

~cough~ Carry on.
AQ  Post #: 134
6/18/2010 5:28:38   
Micosil

*Glances at TDK through the corner of the eye and sidesteps away*

Wow. Here I was thinking that earth wasn't a very popular element and now we've got... four contestants if my counting skills don't fail me. We're as popular as fire! At least the sheer amount of people in the fight will help me avoid the minotaur XD

Edit: A question for the powers that be: Can our characters go into the arenas with preparations done? In case I'm not being clear enough, in a warrior's case it would be with their sword unsheathed, in a mage's case it would be with their protective spells already cast, and so on.

< Message edited by Micosil -- 6/18/2010 5:36:01 >
Post #: 135
6/18/2010 6:27:01   
DWeird

No, never.

It as an EC tradition that the contestant's stuff is taken away from them and then put in a big bundle in the middle of the arena. When the gates open, the first thing one must do is rush forward and get it... Or rush forward and scatter another's things to the four winds.

The choice is yours!
Post #: 136
6/18/2010 7:55:35   
ringulreith

Wait, what? I don't remember that happening last year... Are you sure about that?
Post #: 137
6/18/2010 8:38:54   
Micosil

So the mage could have his spells cast, then, since they're not stuff you can put in a big bundle, right?

Unless it's a very odd mage.
Post #: 138
6/18/2010 9:22:54   
DWeird

The spells are taken away and put in big bundles too.

Such is the power of the elements.
Post #: 139
6/18/2010 10:28:10   
TormentedDragon

Stop messing with the newbies, Lamb.

The answer to your question, Mic, is yes, you can go into the arena with stuff prepped ahead of time. Just so long as you don't get so specific with it it becomes metagaming/godmoding. No designing and prepping something ahead of time specifically to deal with that ice-cream flinging guy over there, you didn't know about him beforehand, see?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 140
6/18/2010 11:56:09   
Alexandria Serthes

I laughed reading that. Very amusing Lamb.
And my coffee's disappeared... I think one of my brothers drank it.
DF AQW  Post #: 141
6/18/2010 13:19:05   
The Dragon Knight

An example of having meta-gaming preparations made would be having your first post indicate that you'd been invisible for the first ten minutes since the fighting began and used that time to lay a bunch of traps and sound emitting devices all around the arena and then launching a surprise attack at an opponent when you finally decide "people can see me now!"

Not like I'm citing precedence or anything. ~cough~

And TD raises an additional point that needs to be taken quite seriously: No OOC information used IC. this should go without saying, but I've seen it happen in the past. Our character bios are posted for the sake of the judges, so that they know what our characters can and cannot do. This prevents us from doing things like, "Oh, but I ALWAYS had the ability to cast that spell that just happened to save my life. I just never told you before!" The bios are not intended to be used by your characters in having pre-battle knowledge of your competition.

Considering anyone who has posted on this board must have come through the RPA, I highly doubt it'll be an issue this year. After all, I know who some of the tutors are, and I'm fully confident that they would not have let anyone graduate if they didn't have this basic rule drummed thoroughly into their skulls. Just thought I would remind people.
AQ  Post #: 142
6/18/2010 13:38:34   
superjars

So, entering this thing, we are to assume we've never encountered or researched any of the other combatants who are also fighting? That we've never met any of them at all?

*makes a note to himself never to use Gui or a Gui-like character in the EC, as that would just not work out well...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 143
6/18/2010 13:40:41   
Ruin

That could make things interesting. Maybe I won't even read the other contestants bio's then...
AQ  Post #: 144
6/18/2010 14:48:25   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

There's some precedent for a prearranged agreement between competitors that their characters have, in fact, met previously. This typically winds up within the Bio/Background/History of the character during submission, and by agreement between the RPers being noted within the submission directly in addition to the B/B/H reference. Alternatively, characters that have met within an RP on the boards that has been completed, or whose timeline can be noted by the GM/ST as completed prior to the EC, will also have knowledge of each other that can be noted within the bio.

This assumes you aren't playing analogs of said characters, of course. But we all know how *I* feel about analog entries into the EC. Harrumph.
AQ  Post #: 145
6/18/2010 15:08:44   
superjars

I don't know how you feel about analogs... but I can probably guess. I hope we get more combatants in the groups with less people, especially water and light...
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 146
6/18/2010 16:28:53   
The Moose

Well, here goes my first ever stab at one of these EC applications.

Name: Duncan Tideforge
Element: Water
Race: Dwarf

Appearance: Duncan is, like most dwarves, a short fellow, he stands around 4' tall when he straightens his spine. His career choice has made him slightly more limber than the average dwarf though, he isn't all muscles and fat that is, and so his limbs and more slender and flexible while still maintaining a rough dwarfish look. He has coarse black hair that he keeps trimmed short on his head, this includes his beard which runs under his chin in the Greek style. His thick eyebrows nearly cover muddy brown eyes set close to a nose that has been repeatedly broken. His skin is a darkened tan from prolonged exposure to the sun. He generally wears blue clothing; shirts, pants, and shoes, but is more than happy to opportunistically wear anything that comes along. In battle the only consistent addition is a dark blue magical amulet he discovered on the high seas.

Personality: Duncan brought most of his culture with him when he went to sea. He's a jovial fellow who finds that making friends is achieved best over a few tankards of ale. Much of his life was inspired by the idea that his race in general was searching far too narrowly for treasure. The ocean harbored vast quantities of loot that would never be reached through digging alone. He plans to get all the treasure he can through any means necessary. Getting in the way of valuables is one of the few ways to truly infuriate this dwarf and once he becomes enraged it doesn't matter whether you were friend or foe before.

Quirks, Phobias, and Interests: As stated above Duncan is mainly interested in treasure, specifically gold, he'll go out of his way to obtain it in all but the most serious situations. As a follower of The Elemental Lord of Water and a Dwarf Duncan is also moderately terrified of uncontrolled fire, he can handle dealing with it but he doesn't like to at all.

Equipment:

Trident: One of the downsides of leaving the mountain for the seas was abandoning typical dwarfish weaponry. Axes and hammers just weren't practical at sea so Duncan adapted. This is just your run of the mill trident.

Net: Duncan has a large sized net, capable of restraining something even larger than a man, on his belt. The threads are very strong and difficult to cut or burn.

Braken Tentacle Whip: On the other side of his belt Duncan has a whip made of the tentacles of a young braken. There are 4 tentacles attached to the end of the handle and it has a reach of about 8 feet. The weapon was enchanted for durability and so that the tentacles would attempt to restrain and injure an enemy on contact.

Amulet of Healing Waters: This Amulet heals the wearer at a slow but steady rate. The bigger the injury the longer it takes to heal. For example, about five minutes and scrapes or minor cuts are healed, large gashes take hours, missing appendages can't be regrown, death cannot be reversed.

Abilities:

Water Breathing: Fairly simple, Duncan knows enough magic to allow himself to breathe underwater.

Mist: Duncan can concentrate the water in the air into a vision-impairing mist that he and others aligned with water can see through. The longer he takes to cast the spell the larger and more concentrated the mist becomes. If he were allowed a few hours it could even become suffocating.

Aquamancy: Duncan can manipulate and absorb water within 10 feet of him.

Bio: Duncan was born in a small dwarven mining colony located in a seaside mountain. No great symbol in the heavens shone on his birth nor had his fate been predicted by some bizarre oracle the night before. Duncan was just another child and another mouth to feed for a colony that was already struggling with the difficult results of the colony's mission. The expedition had for the most part been a failure with only a few small pockets of silver and no gems of even a semiprecious variety. Duncan's father was the leader of this unfortunate expedition and, being a stubborn and prideful dwarf, he refused to pull out preferring to maintain that the workers just weren't trying hard enough.

With such a difficult atmosphere one can see why Duncan's arrival was particularly unwelcome. With less precious metal came less food and many of the worker dwarves didn't appreciate their abrasive leader bringing another drain on resources into the world. As a child Duncan was ostracized by the other few children in the colony. This helped to build Duncan's evasive tactics when it came to conflict since he found it easier to just avoid his opponents. Even without much social contact Duncan still managed to inherit a lust for gold from his parents though.

This proved pivotal later in his life. During his adolescence the colony Duncan lived in was doing even worse than the time he was born. His father was very ill and there was a good deal of mutinous sentiment among the workers. When he wasn't working himself Duncan took to taking treks to the seashore to avoid the other dwarves. One day during one of these trips Duncan noticed a chest washed ashore with the lock broken. He went to investigate and found it roughly a quarter full of gold bars, he assumed the rest must have fallen out during the chest's trip to the beach. This sparked an idea in Duncan's mind, there was plenty of treasure in the ocean the rest of his kinsmen just hadn't recognized that yet. He quickly rushed home to his parents but once he arrived he found that his father had died and the workers were rioting. Duncan quietly slipped into his house to obtain his possesions and left, never to return.

Duncan used that treasure chest to fund his first expeditions on the sea and over the years came to collect a respectable amount of wealth and a few magical artifacts. He has come to the Elemental Championships in hope of gaining the reward at the end.

All right then. Hopefully that wasn't too incredibly horrible,

Approved.
~Kell

< Message edited by Kellehendros -- 6/20/2010 18:07:35 >
DF  Post #: 147
6/18/2010 16:39:35   
ringulreith

Oh, I'd just like to add something. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe you can reference someone's appearance from their bio even if they haven't stated specifically IC, unless there is something stopping you from seeing that person such as blindness or them being invisible or whatnot. So it's probably a good idea to read through the bios, so that you can make your posts more interesting. At least that's what I do.

@Moose: That's actually a very interesting character, nice twist on the dwarf race.
Post #: 148
6/18/2010 16:54:42   
The Dragon Knight

That's correct, ont. Everyone has access to the physical characteristics of the other characters. As Ronin has already stated, if you wish to have prior knowledge of another character's abilities or habits then it would have to be for a damn good reason, such as having met that character in another RP or collaborating a history for the two characters and posting some reference to it in your bio. The other possible way is if any characters claim to be "famous," in which case your character MAY have heard rumors of that person's abilities. However, it's best not to go this route as it's too easy to abuse. If you DO wish to go this route, PM the RPer of the character you think you want to have heard of and ask them what sort of VAGUE or even MISLEADING rumors you may have heard.

Just remember, this competition is unlikely to be won by being a lone wolf. Collaboration between RPers is encouraged, so if you think that your battle will be that much more real and vibrant if your characters have any kind of background then by all means work together and figure out what you'd like to do. Your history is not what's being regulated, only the abilities of your characters. Although, don't go saying you've ever met an Elemental Lord directly, or the RP Gods may strike you down for your impertinence. However, if you want to have an elaborate background with another character that results in a burning rivalry that causes them to seek one another out in the arena in order to DESTROY THEM ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!! then go ahead and do it. Just remember that you need the permission and co-operation of the other RPer for something like that.
AQ  Post #: 149
6/18/2010 18:32:42   
Apocalypse

Micosil: First ask yourself one question: Do the hoard of people act as an obstacle to the minotaur, or as potential projectiles?*

And FYI: The EC is one of the few places where one can judge a character by their cover and then never actually have to learn anything about that character. If you think a guy is a barbarian, then he is a barbarian. Have fun with it.

*Which would NEVER HAPPEN in the EC, unless circumstances and permission from thrown-characters somehow line up exactly right. Which would be AWESOME.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> RE: =Elemental Championship= Sign ups now open.
Page 6 of 8«<45678>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition