Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Story and Dev= The Year's Not Over Yet!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Story and Dev= The Year's Not Over Yet!
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/30/2010 21:59:09   
Lord Barrius

I haven't done some notes in a short while, and I thought it was about time I did. Plus, I've just finished my summer semester of grad school and figured this would be a good way to celebrate!

It's hard to imagine that we're almost three-quarters of the way through this year! And yet, as I look over the schedule, there's several things still in the works. This year is by no means over just yet. Today I'd like to share a personal success that you'll soon see the fruits of, as well as give you a small sneak peak into what else is in store for the rest of the year.

Now, many of you may recall that, on multiple occasions in the past, I noted that I refused to discuss anything that I've personally been working on until it's fairly close on the horizon, as a promise to you to avoid "coming soon" ending up taking way longer than it should. Well, my excitement has been building about something for some time now, and it's been harder and harder to keep quiet about it. What could possibly be so exciting, you may be wondering? The day when I could announce to everyone that my first official piece of writing will soon be premiering in AQ! It's only a little over a month away!

This is something I've been working on for a very long time. There have been a lot of trials and tribulations involved, and there were times when I worried that this particular series would never arrive. But it's finally happening, and I couldn't be more happy to share this success with you.

For the sake of keeping most of the information about this upcoming quest chain secret, I'm not going to reveal particulars until it premieres. But I do want to give you some idea what you'll be dealing with, so you have something to look forward to.

First off, this chain will be the first official exposure to the creatures known as shadow kittens. What's a shadow kitten, you may be asking? Only the coolest kind of kitten ever. I should note that this chain will not reveal the full history or significance of the shadow kittens. But this quest chain will lead into that (in addition to telling a few other stories along the way....), and it will introduce you to one shadow kitten in particular....a shadow kitten who officially represents half of my NPC. Why half? Another secret for another day! Or, at the very least, something to speculate about!

Second, I wanted to note that this chain is going to be part of an extended saga that I'm working on. It's going to be a bit different from the sagas you're used to, though. As anyone on this staff who knows me well can tell you, none of the writing I've done tends to be entirely serious. I try to mix comedy with drama as best as I can in my writing. Hopefully you'll enjoy the results. I expect everyone to give me feedback about it after it's all said and done, as much of my writing (and work in general) comes into being because of feedback from you guys!

And finally, this chain will introduce a brand new villain. Unlike a lot of villains you've encountered in the past who tend to fade away after being defeated, this one is going to be a fairly recurring villain. And I can promise that this is definitely NOT the only way that he is unlike a lot of previous villains....let's just say that this is one villain you will have to experience to truly appreciate.

I'll give you more details when the quest chain gets started!

Now, with that shameless self-plug out of the way, let's take a small glimpse at what the rest of the year looks like! I stole this information from other people's desks and they don't know I've taken their notes yet. Shhhhh!

Please keep in mind that this is only a tiny sample of what we have planned for the rest of the year. Due to the huge amount of work yet to do (not to mention restrictions on how much I can blab), I couldn't give you as thorough of a list as you might like, but trust me when I say this is only SOME of the things that we would like to do by the end of the year....some of the projects we'd like to do by year's end are so utterly massive that I'm afraid to promise anything, lest the Fates conspire to prevent us from making them happen! So what you're seeing here is ONLY the stuff that I could promise will happen by the end of the year. It's entirely possible that we'll do some super amazing stuff that's not on this list, but I'd rather not mention those things or I might jinx us!

I also wouldn't reveal the details about anyone else's material. I've found it's better to let those people explain their own works, just as I've kinda done with mine. So if you want more details, you'll have to ask those people in particular. Or maybe you'll be lucky enough to convince them to say something?

And, of course, keep in mind that ALL of this list is tentative and subject to adjustment, depending on what else we manage to get done! We have so much we'd like to get done that it's hard to give you a 100% assured list of what is coming. Stay tuned for future updates!

Still to Come in 2010:
  • The conflict with the Mysterious Stranger escalates!
  • More from the Hall of Memories!
  • A brand new quest chain from Eukara, the writer who brought you the Fixit quest starring Chrysa and Talvan!
  • A new Mastercraft set!
  • More work on classes! (I can't offer details, lest my superiors murder me :p)
  • And of course, all-new stories for some of your favorite holidays!

And just think, I haven't even started talking about 2011 yet, and that year's plans are....*is dragged off*
  • Post #: 1
    7/30/2010 22:52:00   
    Falerin
    Legendary Loremaster

As my colleague has been detained by the men in dark trenchcoats.... that I hired... to silence him. I thought I would take my own turn at pointing out some things about the months ahead that we have poked at. This of course is only a sneak peak and it is a small one at that but it will give an idea of scope.

As to Barrius' own writings, I will do him the same courtesy he has done the rest of us and not spoiling any of it but I have seen some of it and it does not stop at the quest chain/saga. He also has some fantastic one off material planned that will tickle your funny bone in classic AQ fashion while maintaining a good sense of story and continuity. I do not generally use neticisms, especialy as they tend to be inaccurate, when was the last time you saw someone rolling on the floor as they are typing? I will make an exception here as it is literally and fully accurate. I laughed out loud.

Barrius has mentioned villains that don't just go away and we certainly have found that in the Mysterious Stranger. It should already be apparent that Father Seth Cay Dhows is not only a problem for the past. Indeed Dhows has his hands all over a very large number of things and he has been doing so for an incredibly long time. Tensions will reach a thunderous crescendo in very very very very short order *hint hint*. When the Arden Door is opened, the conflict that arises will have fatal consequences. And that is the good news...

In the months ahead you will get a chance to learn of the very dangerous effects of undefined behavior and dividing by zero a sequence that brings DOOM to AQ.

You no doubt noticed that that Scakk has been cloning arround? This marks Lyra's first stand alone quest but my dear reptilian scribe has been up to FAR FAR more then issuing the order to send in the clo(wn/ne)s... Lyra has been working on something entirely new and very very big something that AE has never.... oh... but you will just have to wait and see but in coming weeks all shall be made clear.

Finally, as many have noticed in the US. Christmas merchandise was released extra early this year, as part of this Christmas in July buisness (a practice we already parodied). There will not be a new Frostval in July this year obviously, but the commercialization has not gone unnoticed and plans for Frostval have already begun. Galanoth and I are directly working together on this one. Could Zorbak have learned his lesson?! Well he learned A lesson anyway....

Muhahaha...

*Cough* The Year of Secrets has ended but 2010 is not over yet... and 2011... well you aint seen NOTHIN yet.

Falerin

Oh heck whats one more spoiler between friends.

spoiler:

Abode: I do not know. I feel weak and disoriented. The bell is my warning Klaxon, but it makes no sense for it to be ringing here. It is supposed to indicate a violation of Caelestia’s Farpoint is occurring, and should only occur in my Caelestian forms -- not within the Hall of Memories.
    Post #: 2
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Story and Dev= The Year's Not Over Yet!
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition