Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

[Reviews] Read, play, watch, listen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> [Reviews] Read, play, watch, listen
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/9/2010 23:04:56   
DA Holder67

Foreword

In this thread I will post reviews on music, video games, movies, TV shows, and books. Everything I post is strictly my opinion. I apologize for insulting any movies you might like in advance. For my first review, I'll review my favorite movie of all time: Back to the Future.

Title: Back to the Future part I
Type of Media: Movie
Review: As I said above, this is my favorite movie. The plot revolves around the characters Marty McFly, a skateboarding, guitar playing, teenage boy, and Doctor Emmett Brown, an eccentric scientist whom is good friends with Marty. After a few scenes briefly introducing the characters, one of which includes one of the greatest songs ever heard in a movie, Power of love, it jumps into the story. Doc Brown has turned a DeLorean into a time traveling car and intends on using it to see beyond his years. He brings Marty along to video tape the car going into the future. We learn that the car runs on nuclear plutonium, the only thing that can produce the 1.21 gigawatts needed to run the car, which Doc Brown stole from terrorists. Just when Doc Brown is about to travel through time, the terrorists arrive and kill him. Marty survives and escapes in the DeLorean time machine, only to travel back into the past. Right away he is in trouble, being mistaken as an alien and shot at by farmers. He escapes, but the DeLorean runs out of power soon after. While trying to figure things out, he saves a younger version of his father from being hit by a car. He gets hit instead. His mother's family helps him recover. However, his mother feels sorry for him and begins to become attracted to him. Marty then tracks down a younger Doc Brown, who helps him realize that he unknowingly kept his parents from falling in love. From this point on, the movie is about Marty trying to get his mother to love his geeky father before a lightning bolt, the only other thing possible of producing 1.21 gigawatts, hits a clock tower, a famous event in Marty's town. Doc Brown has the idea to channel the lightning bolt into the car to get Marty back to the future.

The movies plot, as you can see, is complicated, original, and fantastic. It is enhanced by incredible performances by Micheal J. Fox, Christopher Loyd, and Lea Thompson, as well as hilarious lines. The best scenes are the climax and a musical scene where Marty plays Chuck Barry's "Johnny B. Goode". The icing on the cake is the soundtrack. Power of Love, Johnny B. Goode, Back in Time, Earth Angel... It's all great.

My favorite thing about the movie is it's diversity. It belongs to so many genres. It's a sci-fi movie, it's a drama, a romance, an action movie, a high school movie, it's everything!

Overall, it's a hilarious, incredibly well down movie that doesn't disapoint.

Rating: 5/5
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
10/3/2010 1:54:12   
DA Holder67

Next is a review on arguably the biggest movie ever, James Cameron's Avatar.

Title: Avatar
Type of Media: Movie
Review: This movie takes my breath away. It's simply incredible. The plot is about Jake Sully, a crippled ex-marine who is sent to take over his twin brother's avatar. An avatar is a ten-foot tall blue alien which can be controlled by humans via a machine. Jake is sent to try to get the natives of the aliens' planet, Pandora, to move away from their home, which sits atop the biggest deposit of unobtainium, a very valuable mineral, in the universe. However, while trying to negotiate, he becomes immersed with the native culture, eventually becoming one of the natives himself. He forgets his mission and his world crashes down as he creates an all-out war between the natives and humans without trying to.

I'll admit, the plot is a little unoriginal. It's the same basic story of Dancing with Wolves or Pocahontas, but it's executed very, very well and seems original. The acting and characterization is top-notch. The orchestral soundtrack is as epic as it gets. Then of course, is the famous CGI visuals. They're freaking incredible. They are by far the most impressive visuals in a movie ever. The native aliens are very realistic and organic looking, especially for CGI. All these great things combined make is one of the most immersive films ever. At times I forget I'm watching a sci-fi movie and I begin to actually feel like I'm one of the natives. That may sound cheesy, but it's true, and Avatar is the only movie to accomplish that for me.

This movie has a lot of haters. However, to me, all these haters just want to look rebellious. This movie is freaking amazing. It's a bit long, but it never gets boring. Overall, if you get the chance to watch Avatar, by all means do.

Rating: 5/5
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> [Reviews] Read, play, watch, listen
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition