Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 16 of 30«<1415161718>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/7/2010 18:42:55   
Soldato J

- More frequent level cap raises would be nice, though it may be taxing to keep each level "stocked."

- The way the hometown is arranged is confusing. New players are assaulted by so many exclamation marks and buttons and everything. An onscreen indicator of "things to do" that displays appropriate quests for one's current level would be helpful (I think that's what's being worked on with the C-Mail...?) A way to jump to different buildings would be good, too.
Having to click across the screen several times gets kind of annoying (excuse my vulgarity, but I couldn't think of an appropriate term).

-Perhaps redoing the graphical interface would be enticing, like making the battle menu a pentagram, where the head weapon corresponds to the topmost button, the shoulders to the upper corners, the arms to the lower, and the body to the center. The HP/EP/EXP bars could instead be replaced by an arc wrapping around (and perhaps extending tangentially beyond) the player's portrait, or perhaps replaced entirely with spheres that fill from the bottom, with stylized numerals (current value over the maximum value) superimposed upon them.

-I'd like to see the mecha be more dynamic in battle. With a few exceptions, most mecha are entirely static when not attacking. Adding some components to newer mecha (the older ones need not be updated) to make them seem more "alive" would be aesthetically pleasing. Also, an "arrival" sequence would be interesting - in fighting games, usually the characters jump onto the screen in some unique way to show that they're ready to fight. For mecha, this could be something as simple as "firing a blank" (going through an attack animation in place without effects, visual or otherwise), or a roar for the more animal-like entities.

-A wider pool of sounds would make not muting the game more rewarding. An attack sequence usually has only two or three unique sounds - expanding each weapon type to have more sounds would make the game more... realistic, for lack of a better word.

And I think I can stop there.

< Message edited by Soldato J -- 11/7/2010 19:18:46 >
MQ  Post #: 376
11/7/2010 18:51:09   
Mange

quote:

How the heck would a huge mecha drop a shoulder weapon and you would carry it without fingers ? also loots are plain dumb and annoying thats a reason i dont play DF now.

Reality has no place in MQ, seriously, I had a mech with a giant chefs hat delivering giant sized pizzas, also had a mech who had a giant injection needle, so picking up objects is the least of my problems. You also glossed over what i said about drops later on, where like the candybag they would be 100%, if you feel thats too hard to farm I dont know what to say, I dont understand why people are so hard on that but insist still on farming for credits and random Valor badges, as if either of them were any diffrent..
MQ  Post #: 377
11/7/2010 19:05:08   
seventy two

@Fexy iirc Warlic mentioned it a long while back when he still lead MQ. Not sure if Korin did.

@Zam 1. there was not 20-25 jump the cap went from 20-23-25 and continued that pattern till 35.
And I agree that 1 is too few but, i was trying to compromise with the idea of not raising the cap(Also 1 level every 2 months would take 9 more years for the game to cap. That is way too long.) As for Loot, I still do not see why it would be of much use, your argument of getting stuck should hopefully be rendered mute when all mechs get rebalanced to approximately the same power level, and thus be able to handle at-least basic combat.

@Soldato J, while I do not disagree with your ideas, my only qualm with them is the amount of effort needed by the MQ team in order to implement them. The team is already limited, and such changes may be worth the effort. Though this does not include the home town issue, that does need to be fixed.

@Mange, your statement about loot rolls seems hypocritical considering your dislike of rolls for the story. And if loot is 100% what is the difference from putting items in shops?

< Message edited by seventy two -- 11/7/2010 19:08:08 >
AQ MQ  Post #: 378
11/7/2010 19:14:54   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

quote:

You dont expect them to update old mechas, they are old and made for lower lvl persons

I fully expect them to be updated. I know it takes time but it's needed for new player retention.

quote:

The way the hometown is arranged is confusing. New players are assaulted by so many exclamation marks and buttons and everything. An onscreen indicator of "things to do" that displays appropriate quests for one's current level would be helpful (I think that's what's being worked on with the C-Mail...?) A way to jump to different buildings would be good, too. Having to click across the screen several times gets kind of annoying (excuse my vulgarity, but I couldn't think of an appropriate term).

I don't think instantaneous travel is really needed when things are only a few screens away. You do have a more than valid point about all of the exclamation points though. And...I can't even remotely see how your wording could be considered vulgar.

@seventy two: Forgot the exact levels. I must be getting senile.
DF MQ  Post #: 379
11/7/2010 19:18:44   
Mange

quote:

@Mange, your statement about loot rolls seems hypocritical considering your dislike of rolls for the story. And if loot is 100% what is the difference from putting items in shops?

Loot rolls? never said a thing about having to 'roll for loot' not sure where you got that from. I dislike the rolls story wise because it makes no sense to have it that way, your progress shouldent be at the mercy of the RNG.

now as for the loot at 100% drop its just something extra for your efforts is all, its something i dont have to farm credits for which is what this game is currently about, farming credits.
MQ  Post #: 380
11/7/2010 19:30:30   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

quote:

which is what this game is currently about, farming credits

Interesting perspective. I do wonder if this thought process is one of MQ's problems with player retention. I personally feel we have too many missions with rewards since it fuels the thought of needing it all. Note, I feel that entire quest chains should have rewards and there should be some intermixed throughout. However, we tend to be stuck with doing one short mission for the week and then having a store. Things need to be pushed back the other way a bit.
DF MQ  Post #: 381
11/7/2010 19:32:56   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 382
11/7/2010 19:34:52   
seventy two

That was slightly an error on my part, but nonetheless the point stands if it is 100% drop it would be the same a putting it in a shop for free, and then this ends up like DF where money is nearly worthless. Also how would item level be controlled? Do you get to choose from a menu or is the loot result split between levels?
AQ MQ  Post #: 383
11/7/2010 19:38:18   
Soldato J

seventy two: I do realize that the MQ staff is relatively limited in its capacity to implement such major changes. I wish I could do something more than just babble about what could be done. Well, other than buying plenty of NGs, which I try to do.

ZamuelNow: I just thought that the search for specific shops was sometimes sometimes just a flurry of clicks. I'm just impatient when it comes to that, though I'm one of the "best" farmers. I like my instant gratification. (By the way, I used what my dictionary refers to as an archaic definition of "vulgar" - "relating to a form of a language spoken by people generally." I meant that "annoying" is not a particularly eloquent word, and is thus "vulgar.")

And there was one more thing I wanted to mention. Some sort of visual effect to show damage to a mecha before it is destroyed would also add to the "realism" factor. Some smoke, showers of sparks, etc. Actually editing in patches of exposed circuitry and scorched armour is likely not necessary, and not just because of the fatigue it would cause for the staff. Basically, 75 - 100% health shows no change, 50 - 75% has light smoke, 25 - 50% smokes more heavily and occasionally sparks, 0-25% has small flames (or just hardcore smoke) and constant spark-age. Now that I think about it, doing all that is probably not at all feasible. Maybe after the S.O.O.N. list is finished, then.
MQ  Post #: 384
11/7/2010 19:42:21   
master mix

MORE STAFF!

I said this in another topic (is mq the least played AE game?), and I still think that the potential for mechquest is FAR greater than that of the other games.

There needs to be more staff in order for that potential to be used.

I think that the storyline is great and leaves room for the game to keep expanding.

So, in other words, MQ is great, but needs more staff (even though player suggestions wouldn't hurt)

This is a compliment to the staff currently working on the game.

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 385
11/7/2010 19:58:37   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

@Soldato J: Seems odd that your dictionary would state that since it's a rather common word. Oh well, no point in making a big deal over it.

As far as battle damage is concerned, this can actually be shown with weapon destruction since it temporarily removes the weapon from play. All things considered, I think forced cooldowns and some form of weapon destruction may need a small comeback on enemy mecha.
DF MQ  Post #: 386
11/7/2010 19:59:45   
forumlogin

quote:

MQ is slow about raising the cap. How long was it at 40 for?

The only reason it was at 40 so long was because the staff had decided to slow down on level cap raises for a while.
Before then, rises were rather rapid and even planned for once a month.
Clearly, that doesn't work out well.
Would answer more points if I had that kind of time, but lots of stuff are happening. :P
Should be back on in about 10 minutes.
DF MQ  Post #: 387
11/7/2010 20:09:31   
Mange

quote:

Interesting perspective. I do wonder if this thought process is one of MQ's problems with player retention. I personally feel we have too many missions with rewards since it fuels the thought of needing it all. Note, I feel that entire quest chains should have rewards and there should be some intermixed throughout. However, we tend to be stuck with doing one short mission for the week and then having a store. Things need to be pushed back the other way a bit.

The perspective comes from playing more online games than i can count. Other than your first mech, you get no freebies at all. You just about by yourself have been holding this war back, saving countless people, uncovered many plots, even doing suicide missions that the MQ heroes seem more than willing to send you on, and whats the way they thank you? "Hey I opened my shop, i think i can trust you now, yeah i know you saved us from destruction but you still have to pay for things in there. Discount? HHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAH!! oh you were serious?!"

The way it feels is not only am I having to fight an entire war by myself, but i also have to pay rent and have a full time job as well :P

quote:

That was slightly an error on my part, but nonetheless the point stands if it is 100% drop it would be the same a putting it in a shop for free, and then this ends up like DF where money is nearly worthless. Also how would item level be controlled? Do you get to choose from a menu or is the loot result split between levels?

I'm not saying uber items need to drop, nore that the items can be sold at credits. The items should have something to do with the boss or area, level wise it should be items that can be useful for a few levels so probably each level bracket would have one (every 10 levels) and drop according to your closest level.

Either way I'm sure it can be done as the MQ staff is very talented =)

Edit: its more a psychological thing than anything eles, its the "ooh! shiney!" effect that some people crave when playing online games, and considering what this game 'gives' you it may go a long way to keeping players in the game just because they dont have to BUY the item.

< Message edited by Mange -- 11/7/2010 20:15:19 >
MQ  Post #: 388
11/7/2010 22:48:10   
zanathos

My biggest problem with MQ is prices. I know they fixed prices a long time ago, but i am still finding that buying mechas are harder and harder, the higher you get in level.

I believe they should either increase the amount of credits you get per kill, or decrease the prices of mecha and weps.

On another note... Do the updated Werewolf mechas scale? They are about 10 levels apart, but i did not know if the NSC models scaled, whether a SC special or not.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 389
11/7/2010 22:53:49   
seventy two

I do not think pricing is that bad at high level, you get about 1 mil credits per level enough to buy 2 mechas per level.

And I believe the werewolf mechs scale for SCs.
AQ MQ  Post #: 390
11/7/2010 23:04:25   
Destroy8r9

werewolf dosent scale

< Message edited by nami9876 -- 11/7/2010 23:05:39 >
MQ AQW  Post #: 391
11/8/2010 0:45:28   
Hellsoarer

Werewolf doesn't scale
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 392
11/8/2010 1:41:24   
jeremyp

OMG all of those who say that we need to double or raise the exp drop rate never played MMORPGs... Those game are real grindfest not MQ.. MQ is a joke compare to all the asian MMORPG
DF MQ  Post #: 393
11/8/2010 5:26:31   
Clarent

^In MMORPGs you can form a "party" to talk and train with others. MMORPGs can't be compared with single player games IMHO.

quote:

My biggest problem with MQ is prices. I know they fixed prices a long time ago, but i am still finding that buying mechas are harder and harder, the higher you get in level.

That's the main reason for the high exp requirement. Each level gives you enough credits for at least a mech or two. If your having trouble, you probably spending too much.

< Message edited by Clarent -- 11/8/2010 5:30:23 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 394
11/8/2010 5:33:26   
Vampire Fexy

quote:

Reality has no place in MQ, seriously, I had a mech with a giant chefs hat delivering giant sized pizzas, also had a mech who had a giant injection needle, so picking up objects is the least of my problems. You also glossed over what i said about drops later on, where like the candybag they would be 100%, if you feel thats too hard to farm I dont know what to say, I dont understand why people are so hard on that but insist still on farming for credits and random Valor badges, as if either of them were any diffrent..

Reality does have place, hows a mech with giant chef hat with giant sized pizza isnt reality ? building a giant plastic chef hat would be easy, i dont remember seeing and giant sized pizza in a mecha tho, giant injection needle could be build also, but having a mecha picking up something that is the same size as it without even having fingers is kind of too dumb, and MQ is all about Credits not drops, if we had drops it would be freaking annoying, 5 drops from the boss and the lvl cap is at 45 and about 8 versions for each weapon, 5X8 is 40, im not gonna farm the same quest over and over for 1 weapon knowing i could have got 39 weapons , not to forget there could be even more weapons, so yeah i think thats too hard to farm and if they raised the lvl cap even more how hard would it be ?

quote:

I fully expect them to be updated. I know it takes time but it's needed for new player retention.

Like i said, maybe give some underpowered mechas some buffs but not a whole new updates for every old mecha, some old mechas are still good enough.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 395
11/8/2010 18:23:02   
Mange

Wait so your saying I can pick up and hold a fully working injector but for some reason its not doable to pick up a gun another mech dropped or an arm? Are you thinking I plan on just picking up the whole mech and just carting it off to some dark corner to take it apart?

Things I can do it seems:

Pick up an axe thats bigger than me

In my Nem, I can FULLY pick up another mech toss them in the air and beat them down, I can also pick up that giant mech on the super hero planet and throw him..

I can throw my head (seems kinda odd to me isnt that where the cockpit is at?)

I can carry a giant Trick-or-treat bag filled with giant sized candy, of one of the effects is "Melted chocolate in the circuits"

According to you, what I cant do:

Pick up an item from an enemy mech.

You dont think by chance thats kind of an odd argument? I mean my mech has hands..it clearly is made to pick things up, and its not like I'm going to leave the mech corpse in the street..

As for how 'hard' it is, thats your own problem, *IF* you wanted to farm it you would only have to do that every 10 levels, so what? you go back a total of 5 times? Prehaps 10 if the cap ever gets to 100. I'm sure you went back more than that to farm Tokens or embers, (which are NOT 100% drop unless your farming a boss, odd that) yet no complaints about that on this forum.

I could understand your reluctance if i was suggesting the drop rate would be random as well as the gear was, but I'm not. If you cant be bothered to farm ONE fight every 10 levels then ignore it and go back to endlessly farming the S&F for credits...
MQ  Post #: 396
11/8/2010 18:50:22   
Soldato J

We all know what hands are for. But if you want to be obstinate about adding in a feature, perhaps you should make your own game. The staff here have plans. Though those plans are sometimes influenced by player input, players are ultimately not the ones to call the shots. If there isn't a drop in MQ like there is in the other games, maybe it is because MQ is MQ - a project with its own agenda. Besides, arguing what can physically be done is pointless since the game world is not a physical one. The laws of "physics" are determined by a certain paper-bag-headed entity. If you want a reason for your "can't dos," there are numerous possibilities. Maybe the defeated chassis are beyond salvage in a majority of cases (I say majority because War mecha are labelled explicitly as Salvaged). Maybe they're scrapped and given to charity. Whatever the reason is, drops don't and won't happen until Korin decides so.
MQ  Post #: 397
11/8/2010 19:24:30   
forumlogin

@Clarent
Both the high exp requirement and the high mecha pricing are things that drive away new players, I think. :P
Sure, if you just keep on going, you'll get enough monies and exp at the same time, but when they check the numbers they need, I wouldn't be surprised if they just gave up.

Mange's idea of loot is certainly doable. :P
Certainly wouldn't come with the irritation associated with DF.
'Course, I don't think it should be TOO widespread, but it would certainly be useful here and there and could easily help cut down on credit issues.
DF MQ  Post #: 398
11/8/2010 20:49:07   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

The high exp is specifically so that people can build up funds. However, people may be wanting to steamroll past the lower levels not realizing the slow leveling is in place to help them. Still, it's an issue of needing more content without stores directly attached.
DF MQ  Post #: 399
11/8/2010 20:50:53   
Hellsoarer

Whats up with all the chit chattering? Levels you say? Lemme think.....
Why dont we just get more mechas that start from 1 and level up to 40? And for credits.....
Just make them cost little! Hope your problems are solved!
*Though someone is going to quote this and bring up a problem or two*

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 16 of 30«<1415161718>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition