Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 20 of 30«<1819202122>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/17/2010 0:20:03   
icemaster 77

I think MQ needs more ads. I seen a lot of AQ, DF and AQW ads. But a little MQ ads. Could somebody giving me a list of good suggestions to improve MQ that has already been talked in this thread???

Edit: I still need an answer!

< Message edited by icemaster 77 -- 11/17/2010 20:02:47 >

Go to this link if you want to hear Irish music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewyTGQR9Pw
MQ AQW  Post #: 476
11/17/2010 22:49:40   
ZamuelNow
Constructive

quote:

Could somebody giving me a list of good suggestions to improve MQ that has already been talked in this thread???

Meh, just go over the thread. It's good reading material.

I was thinking to myself about holidays in MQ and it's an interesting situation. While fewer probably need to be focused on, some actually are hallmarks for MQ. Mogloween 3008 was one of our most well done wars. Interesting when you considered it was so successful due to a glitch and then an intriguing last minute change. Frostval, BlindQuest, and Friday the 13th each have their own traditional events. And while April Fools is just a mech release, it has its own status in MQ's history. However, several others could stand to be bypassed or scaled down for the sake of getting the rest of the game straightened out.
DF MQ  Post #: 477
11/18/2010 11:52:27   
Caotica White

Is MQ dying? Yes.

Now, before we move on, I think it is important to address who is murdering Mechquest, and that's the developement team. These are the people who say "Oh hey, let's through in a couple of obsolete weapons and a short, monotonous quest that you have to do over and over and call that a release! YEAH! HIGH-FIVE *high-fiving sound*!"

Seriously. That's not a release, that's someone replacing Preparation-H with battery acid. And let's not forget that the main designer has gone off to experiment with his crappy pet-project*.

Mechquest can be improved with one single thing: effort.

I know, programming is very difficult, and I know I probably shouldn't critisize if I can't do any better myself, but if this kind of utter bogus release is the extent of your capabilities, get some new programmers. I refuse to believe that this kind of hat trick as actually difficult to program for this team, because we have gotten some great things out of this game. But today, your standard of excellence is the First Bug War.

Not okay,

MQ and DF use basically the same engine, so it shouldn't make much sense for one game to be harder to program than the other. Yet, we get much more satisfying releases in Dragonfable that include the advancement of multiple storylines, new awesome-looking weapons, and some decent dialogue. None of that in a game that is uses THE SAME ENGINE. I don't understand.

It may sound as if I favor Dragonfable over Mechquest; and maybe I do. At the time of this posting, Dragonfable is better. That's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of observation. The good of having multiple games as being able to choose the ones you like most, but when you make a game bad like this, you're taking away the player's liberty to choose, because there's no way they're actively going to like a bad game**.

So maybe you need to ask your players what they expect from a weekly release, or maybe you need to consult the DF team to learn what makes a good release. Either way, this game needs to get better quickly if you don't want to lose your player base.

*BladeHaven is a minigame, Warlic. Don't call it otherwise and use it as an excuse to mutilate an actual game.
**Unless they're AE toadies, and we all know no one wants those.

For the record, I apologise for my rant-like delivery. However, I felt as if a little bit of an edge was necesary to get my point across.
DF MQ  Post #: 478
11/18/2010 15:52:12   
stealthwings
Helpful

Same engine, but much different things are released. Compare what is released in DF. In DF, when a weapon is released, all it needs to be done is drawn. No new animations, just the same ones as the classes. In MQ, all weapons have to get completely new animations and specials.

Also, about the quests. DF does that as well, it simply has a different format. MQ makes you fight the same enemies X many times. DF makes you WALK INTO the same enemy and fight it X many times. Also, DF has a different fighting system. In DF, minion fights take 1 turn. In MQ, minion fights take longer.

How is DF better than MQ?

I agree though, warlic should come back. Korin is a good lead, but Warlic was also very good. If both of them were there, then MQ would probably be better.

< Message edited by stealthwings -- 11/18/2010 15:54:32 >
DF MQ  Post #: 479
11/18/2010 18:49:06   
seventhsword2

it doesn't really affect the game itself, but they could update the design notes more often and actually tell us what will be happening each week
MQ  Post #: 480
11/18/2010 20:18:20   
The Game
Pegasus Overlord

This is largely a matter of opinion, but, to me, what makes DF better than MQ is the storyline and character depth that is present is the former but largely absent in the latter. I've mentioned this before, but MQ just doesn't make me care at all about it's stories and characters as much as DF does. Taking DF's Nythera chain for example, I cared for the payoff of that story because the story was built up to make me believe that it was important, not merely for the sake of defeating the boss but because what she was searching so desperately was her own identity. DF made us care about her by taking us on the arduous journey that was her maturation, ultimately culminating in an explosive confrontation with Decadere. Long story short, that quality of story-telling is again largely absent in MQ. The closest semblance of emotional connection I've felt in MQ was for the Pirates during their war with the Arthurians, and I'm sad to say that this was an isolated case.

In closing, I think MQ should try to follow DF's example of writing compelling and engaging stories. I know that it's easy for me to sit here and say that, but it is DF's most redeeming quality in my estimate. It's just one of the many ways of captivating the gaming audience and giving them a reason to play MQ. AQ had overwhelming success with the story in Assassin's quest, so the AE community has shown it's appreciation of good writing. I only hope that MQ will soon follow suit.

< Message edited by The Game -- 11/18/2010 20:19:59 >
AQ  Post #: 481
11/18/2010 21:06:58   
icemaster 77

Wow, lots of ideas, but the staffs don't have time to release them all and listen to most of our ideas. The Yokai storyline was like giving us some boring mission, no exciting unique story. Haven't we seen many storys about go kill this person and it's boss in TV shows and some books? I don't really want the same format of a storyline all over again in TV shows, books and games. I want interesting storyline!

< Message edited by icemaster 77 -- 11/18/2010 21:07:12 >
MQ AQW  Post #: 482
11/19/2010 6:11:04   
BlueKatz

you know...I hate MQ, I don't play it... as the one who dislike MQ, I think it will be better if there is a better map or plot or guide that right in game, everything is sooooooo confusing

I think, after all... I must understand how cool the story first to be interested in the game
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 483
11/19/2010 15:00:21   
stealthwings
Helpful

When did you last play it? We do have a plot guide now.
DF MQ  Post #: 484
11/19/2010 18:22:19   
Mstorm

So, having been away for...hmm...a year and half? [edit: nope, closer to two years!] Here's my $0.02:

First: this is an excellent post and everything in it is 100% true.

Second: leveling is ungodly slow in this game, it really is. I see a lot of "but if we raised the XP drops people would level up before they had enough money to buy more mechs!" in this thread. So, why not raise the XP and the credit amounts? What I'd most like to see, I think, is the increase in both XP and credits from doing higher difficulty levels kicked way, way, way the heck up. Alternatively, you could double the content in the game, so that it's more interesting and less grindy and you don't hit the "content cap" a zillion years before the level cap, but I figure it's a pretty safe bet that just bumping the xp/cash drops is easier.

Third: Having missed, like I said, a year+ of content, I'm a little shocked at how little new stuff there is for me to check out, relatively speaking. I can infer that I've missed a ton of releases - but I can also tell that the vast, vast majority of stuff put out has been an endless number of rare mechs and equipment to clutter up the encyclopedia, lots of holiday releases and a few wars. In other words, way, way, way too much emphasis on temporary additions to the game and not enough emphasis on permanent additions to the game.

Fourth: Related to point three, I noted in some other thread (or maybe it was this one?) some folks talking about the gaps in equipment and how there are a lot of levels where the only useful equipment is now rare stuff. This is true, but I think it's a symptom rather than a cause, and in some ways point three is also a symptom. What they are both a symptom of is the fact that the MQ team seems to be unable to make up its mind whether they are focusing on building a cohesive game which any player can sign up for at any point and enjoy all the way through, or whether they are merely focused on providing a good, enjoyable experience for the "loyal" players, who have been playing all along and will show up every week for a new release if you give it to them. Mostly they seem to tend toward the latter, IMO, while DF tends more towards the former.

I think the game has been much, much too focused on providing an ongoing experience for the "hardcore"/longtime players than it has been on building a cohesive game that appeals to new players, storyline lovers and the like. I speculate that there's a (short-sighted, IMO) financial motive for this - I have no doubt that the hardcore types cough up way more in Nova Gems than the casual players do, and that they really do like getting a new mech every month. (really? every month? geez guys) The trouble is, if you focus just on entertaining the folks who signed up on day 1, and don't do enough to design the game to appeal to new players, your player base is only going to shrink; hence the short-sightedness of the business model, IMO.

< Message edited by Mstorm -- 11/19/2010 18:23:09 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 485
11/19/2010 18:25:34   
stealthwings
Helpful

@Mstorm
2. You don't need to hit the level cap. You hit the content cap after you hit the level you need to be to play.
5. They are working on making it better for new players. They recently did a dropship redesign, and I think that they are doing other things to make it better.
DF MQ  Post #: 486
11/19/2010 18:41:41   
Mstorm

stealthwings,
As far as point #2 goes, no, of course you don't need to hit the level cap, and I think the level cap always should be a good chunk higher than the content cap to offer some reward for grinding, but the disparity between the two in this game was a little on the steep side two years ago, and its completely, ludicrously out of whack now. If you can do basically everything in the game by say, level 12, and over the course of that time, you're going to use maybe 3 or 4 different mechs, what's the point of having a million different mechs? Grinding wants to be seen as a little something extra, you know, something you do if you're having a blast playing through the game, and want to keep going and do a little more for a little more benefit. Here, grinding is the bulk of the game. Which means that all those high-level mechs and high-level weapons are completely wasted on most folks. (see point #5 about appealing mainly to the hardcore)

Point #5, I'd like to check out the dropship redesign (and I'll go see if I can't find a way back up there in a bit) but it misses the point. The dropship was always pretty cool, IMO, but they could've added a "First Day of Classes" storyline and a "First Semester Exams" storyline and maybe a "graduation" storyline and so on...a bunch of permanent story/content that sucks people in and brings them along and keeps them playing. Flesh out some NPCs, give them their own storylines (that commando captain guy, for instance, should totally get one) that players can follow, instead of introducing a new cast of minor, barely-fleshed-out characters for each war or holiday and then having them disappear and be replaced for the next holiday. It's a steady stream of "new" for players who are here for every event, but it's not much new at all for folks like me who leave and come back after two years, and I imagine it leaves the really, truly new players feeling like they're playing a small game where they've already missed out on a lot of stuff.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 487
11/19/2010 18:43:37   
stealthwings
Helpful

I heard the dropship design was good. It kinda needed it imo.

Point #2. If you don't want to, don't. 25 is around where you need to be, and that doesn't take too much grinding. 45 is for those who want to get there.
DF MQ  Post #: 488
11/19/2010 20:21:29   
icemaster 77

Mstorm is right. The exp and credits need to increase not because of the level cap, it's because of the high level items they want to use.
MQ AQW  Post #: 489
11/19/2010 20:22:26   
stealthwings
Helpful

How many items don't have a version around level 25?
DF MQ  Post #: 490
11/19/2010 20:34:36   
icemaster 77

Some weapons, can't remember. But still mate, a crowd of smart people beats a group of smart people.

Isn't the leveling system suppose to get you new features in all games. That's what the leveling system is for.
MQ AQW  Post #: 491
11/19/2010 20:36:14   
stealthwings
Helpful

"can't remember"
Because there aren't any.

Also, why aren't you complaining about AQ? The levelcap there is over 100 iirc.
DF MQ  Post #: 492
11/19/2010 20:41:49   
icemaster 77

You just says something that has notting to do with my comment. I just read the same type of post you said in a mp3 player article that has notting to do with Microsoft, but some guys says something about Microsoft in it.

Anyways, a lot of MMORPG have leveling system since it has features and quest for each level. Not just one lv requirement for a planet storyline, but lots.
MQ AQW  Post #: 493
11/19/2010 20:44:19   
stealthwings
Helpful

Exactly. MQ is not an MMO. MQ is an MSO. It is different, and does not have that. It has leveling because you want to level.

And AQ is an AE game. MQ is rather easy to level compared to other AE games, they are doing just fine even though they are harder to level.
DF MQ  Post #: 494
11/19/2010 20:50:43   
icemaster 77

That's just you, but to others, no. Still RPG have that leveling system. And no, it has leveling not because you want to level, but it set a requirement for different thing. If leveling was like that, then there's no point to it.

< Message edited by icemaster 77 -- 11/19/2010 20:51:15 >
MQ AQW  Post #: 495
11/19/2010 20:51:59   
stealthwings
Helpful

There is no point to it past 25.

And do you play the others? AQ takes much longer to get to the cap than MQ.
DF MQ  Post #: 496
11/19/2010 20:55:12   
icemaster 77

*Facepalm*

But then MQ might add a requirement of lv over lv 25 in the future. And AQ has a higher lv cap, but lv up from 1-45 is easier in AQ then in MQ since MQ has animation.
MQ AQW  Post #: 497
11/19/2010 20:57:04   
stealthwings
Helpful

AQ has animation as well. It has nothing to do with that. It is simply that AQ has more XP gained, and as a result, a higher cap. Imagine dividing the amount of XP needed to level up by 10, and making the level cap 400.

Yes 1-45 is easier, but how easy is 96-120 (The final 5th) compared to 36-45?

< Message edited by stealthwings -- 11/19/2010 20:58:55 >
DF MQ  Post #: 498
11/19/2010 21:01:51   
icemaster 77

If MQ has a lv cap of 120 and if a player wants to get from 96-120, then it will be much harder than AQ.

AQ has short attack animation when you do a normal attack. In MQ, the normal attacks takes longer.
MQ AQW  Post #: 499
11/19/2010 21:03:37   
stealthwings
Helpful

No, it depends on the weapon. How much time does it take to kill an enemy in AQ? It also depends on enemy HP, and weapon damage. I can kill an enemy in 15 seconds when farming in MQ.

And that is the reason MQ doesn't have a level cap of 120.
DF MQ  Post #: 500
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [MechQuest] >> MechQuest General Discussion >> RE: Is MQ Dying II+How Can We Improve It?
Page 20 of 30«<1819202122>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition