Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) Hallie's DF Stories

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) Hallie's DF Stories
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/27/2010 23:21:04   
Hallie Slidepath
Robot Unicorn Overlord

Story removed because I wanna fix it up real nice.
It will return when it's been improved and is totally awesome again :D
~Hallie

< Message edited by Hallie Slidepath -- 3/17/2012 1:17:27 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
10/4/2010 20:46:34   
Hallie Slidepath
Robot Unicorn Overlord

The Chronicles of Molly,
the Master Detective

Part 1
Is my mom part sneevil?

It was a beautiful morning, and Molly had just opened her office. She had finished setting it up last night, and she was quite excited to start her business now. Ever since she realized to what extent The World of Lore lacked professional detectives she had seen her chance; and here she was.

The walls were covered with diplomas she had gotten from various places, some being more related to her detective work than the others; she had put the one she had gotten for winning last year’s baking contest up there because it was pretty, and because she assumed that not many people would actually bother reading them.

She was well aware of that it would take a while before the customers would start showing up, not everyone have mysteries to solve, and not many would know of her before she had solved her first case and won fame that way. Still, when four hours had passed she had reached the level of boredom when playing “The Floor Is Lava” didn’t seem all too juvenile to her anymore. As she was on her way to climb on top of her bookcase she could hear the door opening behind her.

On the threshold a tiny boy was standing; he couldn’t be older than 10 years old. He stared up at her with a very surprised look on his face. “Ehm, I’m sorry I must’ve gone wrong, I was looking for the detective…” he started to stutter and looked around the office in a nervous manner.

Molly swiftly jumped down from her bookcase and smiled at him. “Then you’re in the right place. I’m Molly”, she reached out her hand, and with a second’s hesitation the boy reached out and shook hands with her. “Do you want to sit down and tell me the reason you came here?” She asked and gestured to the chair that was positioned in front of the desk.

The boy nodded quietly and then sat down as Molly walked around the desk and sat down next to him. “My name is Adrian, I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to turn to…” he hesitated again and looked around as if he was scared someone else might be listening before he continued, “I think that my mom might be part sneevil.” He then said, looking at her with wide eyes as if he was afraid of how she would react.

Admittedly his statement surprised her, but Molly decided to have a professional approach, and she brought out her notebook and leaned forward a little. “What makes you think this?” She then asked and smiled at the boy to encourage him to keep talking.

“She keeps going through the boxes I keep in my room, and sometimes she will even steal them. I don’t know what to do about it, whenever I get a new box she’ll be there looking at it the moment she thinks I’m not watching.” Adrian was more confident now, and he spoke in a kind of fast manner as if he barely could contain his thoughts a minute longer.

“So you’ve noticed that you mom is abnormally obsessed with boxes, and suspect that this might have a connection to sneevil behavior?” Molly asked to make sure she had understood everything. Adrian nodded and even smiled a little.

“Do you think you can help me?”

Molly smiled back. “Yes, I will look into this. Depending on the results I’ll either approach you later today telling you what I’ve found out or I’ll send a letter to you and request that you come back here. My investigations shouldn’t take more than a week.” She stood up and walked around the table handing Adrian the notebook. “Can you write down your address and the name of your mom? I’ll need it later when I start investigating.”

Adrian nodded and grabbed the pen, succeeding with spraying the whole page with ink before he started to write. His writing was very warped and hard to read, but not impossible, so Molly didn’t comment on it. She just smiled and thanked him, and then she waved him off before she went upstairs getting her coat and a bag that she filled with several items that she believed could be useful in her investigation.

Once she got downstairs again and went outside to lock the door she saw her reflection in the glass and smiled towards herself. “We’re up and running baby!” She exclaimed happily and then proceeded to lock the door and then she hurried down the path towards Falconreach, where she was planning to pay a visit at the Mayor’s Office. The mayor had a record of most inhabitants living in or close to the town, and if there was anything odd about Adrian’s mom that had been noticed before she’d find it there.

Molly walked towards Adrian’s house feeling very disappointed; nothing that she had found in the inhabitant records gave any clue to why Adrian’s mom was behaving the way she did. In fact she seemed to be a both helpful and clever citizen that had helped the community several times, and she had no records of stealing boxes.

However, Molly wouldn’t give up. As she approached Adrian’s house she reached into her bag and pulled out an empty box. Sneaking up towards the house she was quick to place the box on the doorstep of the house and knocking on the door, and then she ran to hide in one of the bushes close by before the door opened.

Adrian’s was the one to open the door, and Molly let out a cheer in her head complimenting herself for being such a smart and awesome detective. The woman at the doorstep then noticed the box; she stared at the box for a few moments, and then she picked it up looking at it. “That’s odd”, she murmured and then she closed the door again taking the box with her.

Molly sighed in disappointed. She had hoped to see clear signs of sneevil-behavior from the woman, but she hadn’t drooled, shrieked or lost her composure when spotting the box. This made Molly think about Adrian, and she wondered if there was something weird going on here. This woman seemed fairly normal, maybe there was more to this story than what Adrian had actually told her?

With this thought in mind she sneaked along the shrubberies and flower-beds towards the house. Once she was directly below one of the windows she allowed herself to take a look inside. No one was in the room, which turned out to be the kitchen. However, the box she had left outside the door was placed on the dinner-table.

Molly sighed and walked on, around the corner towards the next window. This was Adrian’s room, or at least that was the feeling she got from looking at it. Several drawings were nailed to the walls, all of them of different monsters and heroes of Lore, and Molly couldn’t help but smile. Adrian seemed like such a sweet kid.
The rest of the room didn’t make her smile though, because on her knees next to Adrian’s bed his mom was sitting, pulling out a big box from underneath it.

“Aha!” Molly exclaimed, a little too loudly. The woman immediately turned towards the window and spotted Molly, and before she had the chance to run away the woman had ripped the window open and stared at her.

“What are you doing sneaking around in my flower-beds?” She demanded, looking at Molly with both a startled and annoyed expression.

“I’m Molly, I work as a detective. Your son came to me, because he… suspected something”, Molly said. “However, I believe that he’s wrong. May I come in and discuss this with you?” She asked and smiled as sweetly as she could bring herself to do.

“A detective?” Adrian’s mom looked shocked at this revelation. “What could Adrian possibly…” she started while staring at Molly, but then her expression changed quickly and she smiled towards the detective. “But please, come in. Let’s discuss this eye to eye.”

When Adrian came home that day Molly waited for him at the dinner-table. He looked surprise at first to find the detective in his house, but them he smiled.

“Hi Molly!” He said, and sat down next to her. “What are you doing here? Did you find something out?”

Molly smiled back. “Actually, I did. I think I could even say that I’ve solved the case.”

Adrian’s eyes widened with surprise. “Already? Wow, you’re good!” Almost as soon as he had exclaimed the words he stopped smiling though, and looked puzzled. “But… what are you doing here? Mom could see you.” He asked, and Molly laughed.

“Oh, but I’ve met your mother. I honestly couldn’t have solved this without her help, really.” As she said this Adrian’s mom walked into the room and sat down next to her son. “You see, Adrian, your mom isn’t much of a sneevil, at all. She’s just worried about you, and the items you keep in those boxes.”

When Adrian heard this he blushed, and it almost was as if he shrank a little where he sat; suddenly looking both smaller and more than a little ashamed.

“Necromancy isn’t something that you should work with on your own. It’s a dangerous form of magic if done wrong; if you want to work with it you’ll need a skilled necromancer to guide you.” Molly said, smiling encouraging at him. “But collecting items for rituals on your own isn’t a good thing, and that’s why your mom “stole” your boxes. She was scared that you would hurt yourself.”

Adrian looked down at the table, looking both ashamed and sad. “I just wanted to bring dad back”, he whispered, his eyes starting to fill up with tears. “I miss him so much.”

“Oh honey”, Adrian’s mom murmured and held her son close. “It wouldn’t work, honey, we can’t bring dad back. But he’s always watching over us, okay? And he wouldn’t want you to get hurt trying to do something like this. He wants us to be happy.”

Adrian nodded and then broke free of his mom’s embrace. “Yeah mom, but quit the hugging, I’m a big boy now.”

His mother laughed, and then turned to Molly. “I have to thank you. No matter how weird our first meeting felt you really helped us.”

“No problem”, Molly said and nodded towards them both. “I’ll just take my leave then, I’m happy I could help.”

And as she walked down the path from the house on her way to the main-road back to Falconreach she smiled happily to herself. “First case solved”, she purred satisfied and decided that she’d stop by the bakery on her way home. This called for a celebration.

< Message edited by Hallie Slidepath -- 11/6/2010 19:24:54 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
10/4/2010 20:50:54   
Hallie Slidepath
Robot Unicorn Overlord

The Legend of the Cardooradin

”I've got a fistful of love and a blade made of faith
I'm gonna use it to free all the souls of the wraiths”

~John Quarles, War Cry of the Paladin

Drowan had a dream. He grew up next to a huge mansion in which the finest and most skilled Paladins of the World of Lore were trained. Spending many days and nights on the roof of his small house he’d look over the massive spike-covered walls and dream about being one of the students. However, becoming a Paladin was a very secret art, and whenever the trainees on the other side of the wall would catch him looking at them they’d throw various items at him, such as random parts of undeads that were lying around on the ground since no one bothered cleaning it up. This didn’t stop Drowan at all though, all it resulted in was that he became very good at dodging.

Drowan’s dream would never come true though, and he was very aware of that. He grew up in a poor family, and he hadn’t had a proper education nor any chance to make enough gold to be able to become a student of one of the Masters he admired. As he moved out of home he had started to make a living by making sock-puppets, this resulted in that he never seemed to have any socks at home to wear, but at least he made enough gold to be able to stay in the small house next to the Paladin Academy.

It was a dark and stormy night when it happened. The weather was all too violent for Drowan to bring himself to climb to the roof. ‘Besides’, he thought, ‘the students of the school are all snobs and will probably refuse training outside in these conditions anyway’.
He was sitting at his dinner-table, having different pieces of fabric lying spread out on the table, as well as buttons in all the colors on the rainbow. He was working on a new puppet for someone that hadn’t signed their request but just left a “FOR SCIENCE” at the end the letter. Just having one eye, in form of a button, left to stitch on to the puppet he whimpered as he accidentally jammed the needle straight through the sock and into his finger. He dropped the soon-to-be-puppet at once, but it was already too late, the orange-y fabric had already a big stain of blood on it.

He stood up and walked the two steps necessary to reach the other side of the room, starting rummaging through his bookcase (in which he kept about anything but books) to see if he could find any bandage for his finger. He got interrupted as someone knocked on the door, and surprised he went to open it. Who could be crazy enough to go outside in this weather, especially to see him, he couldn’t imagine.

When he opened the door he was surprised to see a very beautiful woman standing on his doorstep. She had long dark-green hair which was hanging in wet wisps around her pale face. Her eyes were of a piercing purple color, and she was wearing a long dress in the color of a midnight sky. On her shoulders a black cape was resting, and it seemed as if it had protected her from the worst of the storm. Around her neck she had a thing silver chain in which a gleaming red crystal was hanging; the glimmering red blaze that erupted from it somehow seemed as a warning to Drowan, a warning he couldn’t entirely understand.

As soon as the woman had noticed him and that the door was open she looked up at him and smiled gratefully, and then her eyes widened and the smile turned into a twisted grin. The next second she jumped straight at him, knocking him off balance and pinning him to the floor. She looked down at him, her green hair framing her face and covering it with shadows in a way that made her look even more twisted.

“AHAHAHA mortal!” She let out a wicked laugh and narrowed her face closer to his. “You will regret the day you decided to be kind towards a poor girl trapped in a storm!”

Swinging her head backwards in an attempt to get the hair out of her way she then smiled at him, this time her smile bared two sharp teeth; the trade-mark of all vampires. “Actually, you won’t be able to regret anything. You will be dead.” Her smile got even wider, and she laughed again.

The next second a pair of hands got into view; they quickly put a silver-chain around the vampire’s neck, dragging her away from her victim. “Always one for the theatrical, aren’t you, Natasha?” A dark male voice grumbled. Drowan’s savior then dragged the female vampire that apparently was named Natasha outside and proceeded to tie her to one of the trees outside of the house.

“Now behave”, he muttered to her angrily and then he walked back inside again, slamming the door shut behind him.

The man that had saved Drowan was wearing a worn out armor, full of scratches and buckles. He had a dark gray cloak which had a big hood that covered most of his face and from beneath the hood light gray hair was flowing out across his shoulder plates as twirling and curly as the vines of a vinca-minor.
“Are you alright?” The man asked, but before Drowan could answer they both heard a screeching sound from outside, and the man turned and ripped the door open, pulling out his sword and waving it at the vampire-lady. “I told you to behave!” He yelled at her.

She turned to him and her expression instantly turned sweet and sad, as a puppy begging for food at the dinner-table. “But honey…” She started, but the man interrupted her instantly.
“Honey me this and honey me that, just be quiet and behave, okay? If you do well I might let you inside eventually.” The man then slammed the door shut and turned to Drowan. The young man sat frozen on the floor staring at him in surprise and confusion (and a mix of about twelve other feelings that he had managed to produce since the moment of the attack until then).

“Are you alright?” The man asked again.

“Uh, yeah, I’m… fine…” Drowan stuttered while he stared at the man.

“I’m sorry about this, she don’t attack humans often anymore. I shouldn’t have let her out of my sight.” The man apologized, and his whole postured showed that he was both tired and ashamed of what had just happened. “This isn’t the best way of meeting new people, I can imagine, but… my name is Nathan Applebloom, it’s nice to meet you.”

Drowan nodded a few times before getting up to his feet and shaking hands with Nathan. “My name is Drowan. I’m not fan of last names, so let’s pretend I don’t have one.” He looked around in the one messy room that made up his entire house, and then he looked back to Nathan. “The weather is terrible, do you want some tea?”

Nathan smiled gratefully. “Thank you, that sounds nice.”

Carefully placing his cup on a clear spot on the table that wasn’t entirely covered with fabric and buttons and various other sewing items Drowan stared at Nathan, studying his armor further. It wasn’t shiny and it wasn’t covered with ornamental patterns, but it was one of the most beautiful armors he had ever seen. It was like a witness to all the fights that Nathan had been victorious in. “So, uhm, you know that vampire lady?” He asked, feeling kind of awkward about the silence.

Nathan laughed a little, but it was a sad laugh, and he looked down at his glove-covered hands while he spoke. “Yes, I know her very well. She’s my wife.”

Drowan stared at him in shock and couldn’t bring himself to ask anything more. Nathan noticed this and kept on talking as if to save the situation from getting too awkward. “I used to be an apprentice at the Paladin Academy. I was in my last year of training, and I was sent to this village to save them from a vampire that had been hunting them. Natasha showed up and helped me on my quest, and the more time we spent investigating together the more I… fell for her. Little did I know that this was part of her plan, and little did I know that I’d end up discovering that she, my love, was the monster I had been sent there to kill.”

Nathan sighed and sipped a little more of his tea before continuing. “I couldn’t do it, I just couldn’t. I ended up capturing her and bringing her back to the academy, and they expelled me immediately. They told me I’d never work as a Paladin again.”

“Woah, man, you studied in there?” Drowan exclaimed. “That’s so awesome! I’ve always dreamed about doing that, to become a Paladin… but I don’t have the money, so that dream is out of reach.” He sighed, and then realized that he should be polite as well and not let his fan-boy side steal the moment completely. “I’m sorry to hear that. What do you do now?”

“I’m a Palabin”, Nathan answered with a proud smile.

“Pala... bin?” Drowan stared at him. “Bin, as in… where you throw your garbage?”

Nathan laughed. “Yeah, kind of. You see, the thing about being a Paladin isn’t the shiny armor; the armor is not what makes you a Knight of Good. It’s who you are, where your heart is aligned. Only a person who is good at heart can be a good Paladin.” Nathan obviously spoke with passion now. “I didn’t need a fancy armor, so I stole my neighbors’ bins and made my armor out of them. I then brought Natasha with me, because I couldn’t let her roam free because of my disability to kill her, and ever since I’ve been wandering Lore and fighting off Evil.”

Drowan stared at the older man in wonder. “Do you think that you could teach me?” He said, and felt that if he got any more hyped he would probably start drooling, so he kept his mouth closed. “I just want to become a Paladin; I don’t care what I have to wear until I’m epic enough to get a better armor!” He then exclaimed, as he wasn’t strong enough to make himself shut up.

Nathan was quiet for a while, looking as if he was deep in thought. When he finally looked up at Drowan with his piercing blue eyes it was obvious that he had made up his mind. “I’ll train you”, he said with a determined look on his face. “We’ll start tomorrow morning.”

“Have you ever heard of The Cars?”

They were walking through the forest; it was so early in the morning that the sun had barely risen, which lowered the risk on running into angry flowers or other minor disturbances. The bigger the risk was to meet a few undeads, but this didn’t seem like a problem to Drowan anymore when he had Nathan accompanying him.

He now looked at Nathan, clueless of what the Palabin was talking about. “Nope, never heard of them”, he answered, feeling a little ashamed about lacking the knowledge.

“They’re a people that came to Lore hundreds of years ago. They’re very peaceful and anti-social and tend to stay far away from humans, and other monsters. They keep to themselves, but they always treat visitors very nice. I’ve been allowed to stay with them several times when I haven’t had anywhere to live, they’re not afraid of Natasha since she doesn’t like their blood.” Nathan stopped short for a second and giggled slightly before continuing. “Either way; make sure not to underestimate them. They might appear to be small, white balls floating around in the air, but they possess a very strong magic and could turn you into dust with a single blink of their eyes if they wished to.”

Drowan stared at him. “Remind me; why are we going to visit a group of creatures that can send us to the underworld just by blinking?”

“You need an armor; The Cars make wonderful doors out of this very strong and light metal. I don’t know the name of it; I do know that it would make a perfect armor for you. They usually sleep most of the day and wake up in the afternoon; I’m going to show you where they live, and then you’re going to collect doors.” Nathan answered cheerfully. “Besides, it will be a nice test for you, if you manage getting enough doors without waking them up you’re definitely worthy of becoming a Paladin.”

Drowan sighed. “I guess you’re right.” Suddenly thoughtful he glanced at Nathan’s armor. “Hey, why do you call yourself a Palabin and not a Paladin?”

“I’m proud of being my own master. I made my armor by myself, and I became a Knight of Good even though they told me I wouldn’t be able to. I’m proud of my background and how much I accomplished on my own, by taking that name I feel that I’m honoring my struggle as well as presenting myself in a good manner.” Nathan once again looked very proud of himself, and Drowan realized that this man probably had gone through a lot of hardships that he didn’t know of nor could possibly imagine.

“Here we are!” Nathan then exclaimed and stopped short, reaching out and grabbing a hold of Drowan’s arm to stop him in time. “The village is just up ahead in that glade. Are you ready?” And before Drowan had the chance to answer the Palabin pushed him forward through the shrubberies ahead and sent him stumbling straight into the middle of the Car Village.

Drowan had already gathered over twenty doors in all the colors of the rainbow and the afternoon was drawing near. He had soon realized that he would have to work out more; Nathan had said the doors were light, something he definitely didn’t agree with. He had to drag each one of them out of the glade to the shrubbery from where Nathan kept watch.

Sneaking up to his twenty-fifth house he hunched down behind the abnormally large yellow flowers while studying how this door was attached. The door was made out of a shiny, sparkling silvery metal, and he at once decided that this door would become his shoulder plates. Standing up he leaned in towards the door and quickly started to un-attach the door, and just as the attachments started to loosen up one of the abnormally big flowers found this to be a great time to punch him as hard as possible in the back.

Drowan shrieked in a very high-pitched voice of surprise, and then he screamed again and he lost grip of the door. The door slammed down on the ground with a sound as loud as a small country exploding… or at least that’s how Drowan imagined the sound since he was panicking with fear.

Picking the door up from the ground he ran as fast as he could through the narrow alleys between the Car houses screaming, “I’M GONNA DIE, I’M GONNA DIE, I’M GONNA DIE”, until he reached the shrubbery.

Once he reached the shrubbery he was relieved to see that Nathan had seen what happened and started to pick the doors up. As he reached the Palabin he quickly got another ten doors handed to him, and then they ran side by side away from the Car Village, the doors scrambling in their arms like a group of knights running a marathon.

“Okay, so we’re going to need scissors, a few hammers, glue and lots of string.” Nathan stated when looking out on all the plates on the table. They had spent most of the night and the following day shaping the stolen doors so that they would fit Drowan perfectly. It hadn’t been easy since Drowan didn’t have many tools at all; after ruining five forks and seven spoons in a desperate attempt to use them for bending the doors Nathan had given up and asked Natasha for help. It hadn’t been easy to convince her, but after he had promised her blood in return she had instantly agreed to help.

The Car’s were obviously very skilled with metal and it was beyond Drowan’s imagination to figure out how they had created and shaped their doors in the first place, but no matter how hard and strong the metal was it had no chance against Natasha’s supernatural strength. She bent the plates with the same ease that Drowan would fold a paper, and while he was really grateful for this he it also worried him; were he ever to have to fight a vampire it seemed as if his armor wouldn’t stand much of a chance. When he pointed this out to Nathan the man just laughed and explained to him that he’d have to wander around for a while searching for mages that could enchant his armor for him.

“Glue?” Drowan asked and stared at the older man. “We’re gonna put the plates together with glue?”

Nathan laughed again, and Drowan got the feeling that he was a joke trapped in a man’s body. “We’ll put it together with glue at first; once the glue is dry it keeps the pieces from falling apart as we bolt the plates together with proper nails. We’ll then use this acid that you extract from Seed Spitters to get rid of the glue, and then you’ll have a perfect, professional-looking armor.” Nathan looked very proud and content as he explained the process, and then he picked up the bucket of glue he had produced earlier. While Natasha had been working on the plates he had gone out in the forest to collect sap which he then used as a base when making the glue.

“Where is my blood?” Natasha demanded from the back of the room once again. She was sitting in the only corner of the house where the sun couldn’t reach her, and ever since she had finished shaping the doors to armor plates she had asked for her reward every fifth minute or so. This was obviously getting on Nathan’s nerves, because every time she spoke Drowan could see how he’d twitch more and more. “I want my blood, where is it? I’m thirsty.” Natasha continued, almost singing the words in a soft voice. She knew very well how much she was annoying her husband, and she was obviously enjoying every minute of it.

“I’ll give you the stupid blood; shut that pretty mouth of you already!” Nathan roared and turned towards her. Natasha didn’t react to his outburst one bit except for smiling happily and uttering a “yay!” of delight as he walked towards her.

“Drowan, start working on the armor, I’ll be with you in a second.” Nathan grumbled and Drowan at once turned the other way trying to shut out the sound that reminded him of all things bad.

He still hadn’t figured the walking-technique out entirely yet, but for each step he took he felt that he got more and more used to it. The armor wasn’t very heavy at all, but it still felt very peculiar to wear. He was traveling by himself this time; Nathan had told him that it was time for him to try to survive on his own. After several of weeks of studies Drowan felt quite secure; Nathan was a great teacher and his experiences with battling the undead obviously went beyond the average Paladin.

He had been traveling through this forest for a while now, and he had really enjoyed it this far; he had never seen anything of the kind before. The whole place was almost vibrating with magic, and each and every single leaf and rock seemed to be shining with its own energy. He felt like he was disturbing something as his plates smashed together causing loud sounds with each step he took. Because of this he wasn’t surprised at all when the robed character appeared in his path, staring at him with a suspicious expression.

“Who are you and what business do you have here?” The character asked and reached up with one hand to hold the white hair away from his eyes.

“My name is Drowan, I’m looking for Warlic”, Drowan answered, not really sure what he was supposed to do in this situation.

“Then you have found him”, Warlic said, with a slight smile. “I have to say, that armor you have doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen before. What kind of warrior are you?”

“I’m a Cardooradin”, Drowan said proudly. “And this is a low-budget armor for warriors of Good who won’t let their bad economy stop them from fighting their cause. I’ve always wanted to become a Paladin, and now I am. However, I need a skilled mage to cast some spells on my armor, so that it protects me better.”

Warlic laughed when hearing this explanation, and then he made a gesture with his hand. “It’s not the armor that makes a Paladin, it’s his heart. And you have a Good heart young one, you definitely do. Come up to my tent, and I’ll see what I can do.”

Drowan smiled happily. “Oh thank you, thank you so much! I never thought you’d say yes!” He exclaimed as he ran to catch up with Warlic.

And as he walked next to the Blue Mage he realized that nothing in life is impossible; any dream can come true if you steal enough doors.

< Message edited by Hallie Slidepath -- 11/28/2010 15:06:41 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
10/4/2010 20:53:43   
Hallie Slidepath
Robot Unicorn Overlord

The Last Elf:
The Story of Lord Anessen

“Tell me that I’ve got it wrong,
Tell me everything will be okay”

~Tom Dice, Me and my guitar

They could hear the horses approach before the guard called out to them; yet another sign that he didn’t have much time left until he was completely turned.

“AAREEEEWWWW! BRAINSSS!” The guard happily cried out and they heard the rider, whoever it was, tying his horse up outside. They heard the visitor mutter a few words, and the next second the guard cried out in pain. Had the words not been in their language they would’ve been outside of the tent right now shooting the visitor full of arrows.
In war you shoot first, ask later, and always trust your instincts. Captain Sanya’s instincts told her that this was not a person that was a threat to them in any way.

The dark-green curtains were then swept aside, and a tall, robed character strode into the room. He had short dark hair on which a crown of vines was placed, his eyes were aflame in shades of green and his skin was pale. In his right hand he held a staff full with scratches and bloodstains, but even though it was torn it was beautiful. It was made of out dark-green wood, around which several ornamental vines were wrapped, all centered at the top where they held a magnificent orange crystal in place. The whole weapon was radiating magic in a way it would only do in the hands of the most skilled and powerful elven magicians.

Captain Sanya, along with the rest of her council in the tent recognized the man at once. She immediately stood up just to fall to her knees in front of the man, and the rest of the council followed her lead. “My King”, she breathed, still having trouble to grasp the situation entirely. “We were not expecting you; we didn’t know you would…”

The new-comer silenced her with a gesture of his hand, leaving the rest of the people in the room wondering whether it was magic or obedience that had left her quiet. “I will not leave my people to fight this war alone anymore”, the man stated. “From this moment on I’m one of you, you will call me by name, and I will ride with you. We will win this war”

Everyone in the tent was quiet for a few seconds, not being able to believe that his words were true. But in their hearts they could feel the sincerity with which he spoke, and as they did they rose to their feet and cheered. Before they got the chance to thank him or do anything of the kind the elven King spoke again. “May I ask why you kept an undead as guard, Captain?” He asked, looking at Sanya while raising one eyebrow as to emphasize his question.

“That was Aradan, after our first encounter with Sepulchure he got infected. But since he lost his senses slowly we decided to bring him back and let him stay with us until the time came when we had to end his suffering.” Captain Sanya answered quickly.

“Not much of a guard at the end, was he?”

“We figured that if the enemy attacked the fact that an undead was sitting outside of the tent would confuse them long enough for us to notice them, Lord Anessen.” The answer from the Captain was yet again quick, but the formality at the end obviously bothered the King.

“I’d prefer if you don’t refer to me that way, Captain”, he said, frowning.

“Ah, but it is your name, My Lord.” Captain Sanya said, smiling. “You ask me to ignore your position as King, and that I can do, but the fact remain that you are the most skilled warrior in this room. That is something I cannot ignore. I will call you by name, and I will fight by your side, but don’t think that I in any way will forget who you are.”

Lord Anessen sighed lightly, but then let it pass. He turned towards the weapon-stand and carefully placed his staff there, to the wonderment of the rest of the council in the tent. Little had they expected the man to place his powerful weapon among theirs, but with this gesture they slowly started to realize that the King was being serious with his request.

“Tell me about the war”, Lord Anessen then said, sitting down at the table next to Captain Sanya. “I kept getting updates back at the castle. However, what the messenger told me was far from enough.”

“Please give me his name and I’ll fire him at once, my Lord!” one of the council members exclaimed at once, which made Lord Anessen sigh once again.

“Guys, just cut it out.” He muttered while taking a look around the room. “Sepulchure’s army has gained in numbers in strength, and not only that. He’s using the position of the stars and the date of today to his advantage. Not only has his army gained in numbers, but because of this date that only takes place once every millennium they have gained an unfathomable amount of strength.”

Lord Anessen stood up again and started pacing around the room, his frustration over the current situation obvious to the council. “We might not win this.” He continued on, and his honesty was greeted by several gasps from the other elves. “This army might consist of mindless minions and brain-dead barbarians, but their leader is not stupid. He knows very well what he’s doing, and he plans each one of his moves well. They will only have the advantage of this extraordinary strength for a day, but in the hand of Sepulchure this is enough.”

One of the members of the council stood up as if to protest, and Lord Anessen instantly turned towards him. “What exactly of this statement are you opposing?” He asked, looking directly at the elf with his intense gaze. The council-member then sat down again, without saying a word.

“This is why I’ve started to evacuate our city and villages; I don’t care about our Kingdom. I care about our people. I can’t let this army reach them at any cost; they’re already at the dock preparing to leave.” At this revelation several outbursts of rage were heard from the council-members, but the Lord raised his hand to silence them. “Let me finish. I know several of you have your families to think of, and the same goes for our army. So this is what I have come to tell you; we will all leave for the dock immediately, and set up our camp close to the sea. Anyone who wishes to will be allowed to follow the rest of our people. The rest will remain on the shore with me fighting off any attempt Sepulchure’s army might make to get to the ships before they can leave. We’ll keep a few ships for the people staying, in case we are… victorious.”

“But, My Lord”, Lord Anessen turned towards Captain Sanya as she spoke. “Your wife; she’s no warrior. What will…?”

“How I handle my private situations is up to me, Captain.” He instantly answered, now turning back to the rest of the council. “Does anyone else have a question, or any ideas?”

He was first greeted by silence, and no one seemed to have anything to add. One by one the council-members then nodded in agreement of what he just had said, so Lord Anessen then turned and picked his staff up again. “Then let’s spread the word.” He said, and then strode out the tent, quickly followed by Captain Sanya and the others.

They were just finishing escorting people onto the ships, and reports of the undead army closing in arrived so often that the elves couldn’t bother to panic anymore. They knew what was coming, they knew what was happening; all they could do was hurry on and hope for the best.

Captain Sanya had been keeping track of the army together with Lord Anessen; making sure that all who wanted got the chance to board the ships with their loved ones. Once they were done Lord Anessen excused himself saying that he would be back soon, and then left for one of the ships. Out of curiosity she followed him, wanting to know what was so important that he’d put aside preparing for the army for it.

She got the answer quickly, as she saw his wife standing at the rail of the ship, looking back at the magnificent forests that used to be her home. As soon as she spotted Lord Anessan her sad expression changed however, she couldn’t help but to smile as he walked towards her and then hugged her tight.

“We’ll sail in a couple of minutes”, Lord Anessan, and his wife shivers as he speaks; his words obviously upsetting her. He takes a hold of her shoulders and looks straight into her eyes now, before speaking again. “It’s for the best, this way we’ll survive. We can rebuild our Kingdom, our cities and villages… we can start over. And it’s beautiful on the other side of the sea. Trust me.” He tries to smile, and then he hugs her again.

“No matter what happens, I’ll keep watching over our people.” He says, now in a more quiet voice. “I’ll never leave you, I love you.”

Letting go he gives her a quick kiss on the lips, and then smiles, and this time it’s a genuine smile; his eyes are shining bright with emotion. “Go back inside, and don’t look back on what we’re leaving behind; try to think of the bright future.” She seems somewhat confused by his words, but she then smiles back and then turns to walk away.

He stands still by the railing, waiting until she’s gone down the stairs and is out of sight. The next second he raises his hand and gives the crew a few quick instructions and the next moment the crew starts setting sail.

Lord Anessan’s face is locked in grief as he jumps off the ship, and when he notices Captain Sanya stand on the shore staring at him in shock he glares at her. “Don’t you judge me, don’t you dare judge me Captain. Say one word and I’ll strike you down where you stand.” He growls as he walks past her, and then disappears up the hill and among the soldiers in the army.

Just a few moments later the first sign of the undeads approaching becomes visible in the form of several dark projectiles suddenly raining down on the forest, the hills and the waiting elven army. The next second hundreds of undeads are visible as they make their way out of the forest. They even try to push each-other in attempts to reaching the elven army first.

Standing in front of the few soldiers that have chosen to stay Lord Anessan looks back at the few ships that still haven’t left the shore, and then he raises his staff. “I won’t say we’ll survive, because we probably won’t, but all of you already knew that. Our goal is keep these bastards away from the shore until the last ship has sailed; I won’t hold a fancy speech or anything. Let’s just do this last stand, for our people. Sepulchure might get our land, but he will not get our families.”

And with those words, outnumbered with at least ten thousand to one, the last group of elves charged towards the undead army, well aware of their doom.

Suddenly the undeads drew away from their victim, and Lord Anessen instantly struggled to get back to his feet. His body badly torn and full of cuts the pain was immense, but he refused to give up yet. The battle was already lost; he was the only one left. But he also wasn’t captured, nor dead. The numbers of the undeads was overwhelming, and if he let them close enough they’d simply over-power him by numbers, he knew that very well.

Looking around he tried to see why the undeads had withdrawn, and the reason for this wasn’t hard to spot. Moving swiftly through the undead masses their leader was making his way, his red armor bright on the otherwise dark field. The aura of darkness around the Dark Lord was immense, and the closer he got to Lord Anessen the more the elf felt the need to back away from him; the pressure of the dark magic being almost too much for the elven King to handle.

“Lord Anessen”, Sepulchure’s voice seemed both impressed and full of glee at the same time. “When I heard that one elf was still standing I was surprised, but to see that it’s you doesn’t surprise me as much. You’re not a quitter, are you?”

Lord Anessen didn’t answer, but his hold of his staff tightened, and he felt a little strength flow back into him as he managed to focus his energy better. He then forced himself to stand up completely, and ignore the pain this caused him, so that he could glare straight into the empty, dark holes in Sepulchure’s helm.

“You can’t win this; it is two hours to midnight. Hundreds of thousands of my minions are still alive, and in close combat it would only take ten of them, at most, to take you down. You lost a long time ago.” Sepulchure paused for a moment, as if to enjoy the moment, before continuing. “The Elven Kingdom has fallen, and it’s time to eliminate the last remains before I claim it as mine. You will either serve me, or die.”

Lord Anessen drew a deep breath, and then changed his footing a little. Ignoring the taste of blood in his mouth he then lifted his staff, feeling the pull at his heart as he released the spell that took more of his energy than he could actually offer.

Slowly the forest all around started dying, and it brought tears to his eyes to see the elven kingdom crumble into nothingness. He knew though, that if he would’ve let it fall into Sepulchure’s hands a much more terrible faith would’ve been awaiting his homeland; this was an act of mercy, no matter how much it hurt him to do it.

Feeling the energy drain from his limbs as quickly as the forest around them was decaying he thought of Eleanora, and then he sprinted forward; charging towards his enemy one last time.

< Message edited by Hallie Slidepath -- 12/3/2010 12:23:21 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) Hallie's DF Stories
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition