Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =Mech= need help writing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =Mech= need help writing
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/15/2010 12:42:10   
Xirminator

quote:

If I do that whole replaying thing you mentioned, Id have put down: "Two guys are sit on a bench in a park. Its really sunny and there are trees." Or something like that. Not as 'complete' as yours is. Howd you do that? I want to know!! :O

Well, I assume you have some sort of picture in your head. You see two guys on the bench and some trees.

But what else is in the park? Are there cobbled lanes? Squirrels gamboling about? Joggers and cyclists? Children? Pigeons? Is it autumn, meaning the park is littered with crackling red leaves? Is it windy. the leaves twisting in the air? Is the park neglected. with lots of rubbish around? Empty plastic cups and paper bags? What's the weather like? You said sunny in your example, but is it the dawn sun rising to dispel the morning chill? A hot afternoon? Maybe it rained yesterday and everything is still damp and the sun feels warm and good? What are the men wearing? Are the two men seated facing a street, watching cars go by? Or maybe a murky pond with ducks splashing in the water? Are there flowers? Tourists with cameras? People playing sports or walking their pets?

Details are what you need. If you have a park scene, for example, think what you see when go to a park. Or the next time you go to a park, slow down and take the time to notice things around you. Everything can be worked into the story, making the scene come alive for you.

AQ DF  Post #: 26
10/18/2010 22:46:20   
MonsterMike9000

Ive realized that what I have the most trouble with is using specific details for effect.

Anyways thanks for all the feedback guys, Ive submitted a story for the book of darkness collab. If it succeeds, it is in no small part, due to all of the people that replied to this thread.
You deserve a cookie.
AQ  Post #: 27
10/24/2010 11:33:59   
superjars

To follow up on your previous question, how I did it was through the cunning use of adjectives. I like the way Xirminator put it, but I'd go a step further: if you want to write a particular scene, start by going to the actual locale and take a notepad or something. Find a place to sit down with a nice vantage point of the entire area and write down everything you see in as much detail as possible. If you want to get better at writing details, this is one of the best ways to do it.

Eventually, as you do this more and more, you'll find that you can capture the image in your brain and do the same exercise with it. You can find a vantage point and start looking around the world you're creating in your mind. The details will pop out at you, and you'll get much more than you need.

Then, when you hit that point, you'll be on the next step in the process: searching through your vast framework of descriptions to pull the important ones out, the ones that add most to your story and it's particular movements. Like for the book of darkness, you want to avoid using the pretty descriptions in your world and focus on the dark, brooding ones.

< Message edited by superjars -- 10/24/2010 11:34:37 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 28
7/10/2011 12:16:26   
Maxandstewart

To write good Monster Mike, You don`t have to type fast you can take your time and look at what your printing/typing.

Suggestions:
1. Use a piece of paper and brainstorm what you are going to write.
2. Think of what type of form of writing your writing (Letter, Story, Persuasive Letter etc.)
3.Always use a ruff copy, a brainstorming sheet etc.

Hope this helps

From,
Max
AQW Epic  Post #: 29
10/24/2011 19:15:16   
MonsterMike9000

time to take risks, make mistakes and get messy.
AQ  Post #: 30
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =Mech= need help writing
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition