Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Rainbow Connection

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Rainbow Connection
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/12/2010 5:36:57   
Shreder

Rainbow Connection

It was raining.

The watery droplets came pouring down from Heaven, drumming on the metal roof of the car.

Why are there so many songs about rainbows?...

I reached over, turning the volume of the radio up slightly so that the music could be heard over the pattering rain.

“You like this song?” Dad asked. I nodded, smiling, and hummed along with the opening notes.

“It’s a classic.” He smiled, turning to look at me. He had offered to drive me home from school that day, and I'd been happy to accept. Normally I would have biked, but the rain made that a rather unappealing option.

“You know I’ve always preferred music from before my time,” I replied, grinning back at him. A teasing twinkle came into his eye.

“You do realize it was originally sung by a frog right?” I was about to deliver a suitably indignant retort, but before I could answer our conversation was interrupted by a screech of wheels and a tremendous crunch, as if the car had been hit by a rampaging rhinoceros and lurched sideways in shock. I remember hitting my head on something, hard, and then everything went black...

I came to suddenly, and peered around in confusion, trying to figure out where I was. A siren blared overhead, and I realized I must be in an ambulance. I was definitely battered and bruised, but nothing felt seriously injured.

“W…Where’s dad?” I stuttered, still slightly confused by the knock I must have taken to the head. A kindly-faced EMT leaned over me.

“He’s in another ambulance on the way to the hospital,” he said. “I gotta be honest with ya kid, he's not in good shape."

“But he'll make it, right?” I asked a bit frantically, part of me afraid to hear the answer. The EMT thought for a moment.

“That truck that hit ya smashed head-on into the driver’s side of your car, so he got beat up pretty bad. There's still hope though; we'll do all we can..."

After a few seemingly interminable minutes we arrived at the hospital, and I was feeling well enough by then to trust my own legs. A doctor looked me over and pronounced that I should be fine. I asked about my father, and he hesitated.

“He’s in surgery now, when the other vehicle hit your car it dented the driver’s side door in, and he has several broken bones and possible damage to his internal organs. We’re doing all we can to pull him through.” Before I could reply I heard my mother’s voice, and turned to see here running up to me, concern evident in her face.

“Oh honey, are you okay?” She ran up and hugged me.

"I'm fine Mom, but Dad..." my voice failed me. The doctor elaborated:

“Ma’am,” he said, “Your husband is in surgery now.” He led Mom and I over to a bench.

“There’s nothing you two can do right now but wait; I promise to keep you updated on his status.” And saying that, he left. Sometime later someone brought us both paper cups of hot chocolate, and I sipped the warm sweet liquid gratefully as mom kept one arm wrapped tightly around me. At length I fell asleep with my head on her shoulder, exhausted by the day’s events...

When I awoke I noticed at once that the storm of the previous night had ceased. All was quiet, and rays of morning sun shone gently through the windows. My head was killing me, but I had more pressing concerns. Getting up, I went over to ask one of the nurses about dad.

“It looks like your father is going to make it,” she said, and never before had such simple words held so much meaning for me.

“Can I see him?”

“Yes, surgery was successful and he is recuperating now,” She said, “Come with me.” She led me to the recovery room. As I stepped in I saw him laid out on a bed, dressed in hospital clothes, with mom sitting on a chair next to him. One arm and one leg were in casts, and he was heavily bandaged in several other places.

“Are you okay dad?” A weak smile creased his face.

“I…I think so.” I sat down next to him, simply basking in the relief that he was alive.

“Hey look,” He said, weakly raising his unbroken arm to point to a window on the opposite wall. Looking out, I saw what he was pointing at.

“A rainbow,” I grinned, and softly sang:

Someday we’ll find it, the rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers, and me…

C&C

< Message edited by Shreder -- 11/30/2011 8:00:18 >
DF MQ  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Rainbow Connection
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition