Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Phantom Seed Novella

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Phantom Seed Novella
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/21/2010 13:09:56   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

I just finished the first chapter of my novella, The PhantomSeed Chronicles: Bane. It's about a boy who is troubled by the recent murder of his mother, and takes his frustration and anger out on his friends and family. All he has to remember her by is a small marble that she gave to him. He begins to suffer a string of events and faces creatures he never thought existed. I only have the first chapter done, but it's still progressing.

Here it is.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 1
11/22/2010 1:28:43   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

Before I even read it, I highly suggest you put a space between each paragraph. The huge block of text is tough for the eyes. Normally one would indent for a new paragraph, but since these forums don't allow that, simply skipping a line is acceptable.

For example, this is the start of a new paragraph. A new speaker always gets a new paragraph, as well as shifts in general ideas or setting. Paragraphing is an art in of itself within writing.
AQ AQW  Post #: 2
11/22/2010 8:03:37   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

OK. spaced the paragraphs. Thanks!
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 3
11/22/2010 14:37:33   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

As always, I'll start with grammar, syntax, other line by line nitpicks etc.

The first thing I noticed is that the story is told in present tense. This makes for a very interesting atmosphere and means of development, but make sure that it remains in present tense throughout (unless there's a flashback or something).
quote:

separated by more than a two centimeters thick wall of air

Since centimeter is being used as a quantifier, you should make it singular if it comes before the noun: "a two centimeter thick wall of air," or even better "a wall of air two centimeters thick."
quote:

“There’s nothing wrong with me. Man, you’re worse than Seppy.” I say.

Throughout, if a quotation ends in a period, there should be a comma if you add a tag like "I say," "he says," etc. In short, there should be a comma after Seppy instead of a period, and any time that a quote ends in a period in this form, it should be changed as well. However, this rule does not apply if the quote ends in a question mark or an exclamation point.
quote:

I’ve had just about enough of their false leads. I think.

The fact that the sentences preceding are not in quotes implies that the narrator is thinking the words, which makes "I think" redundant (unless he isn't sure that he's had enough of their false leads, which I don't think was your intention). Also applies in the instances below.
quote:

Ouch I think.

quote:

Yeah. I think.

quote:

Here it comes... I think.

quote:

I feel someone tugging at my side, but I ignore them.

Since it's "someone" (singular) tugging, the protagonist must ignore a singular noun. e.g. "but I ignore whoever it is." Although I may let this slide as the narrator is speaking very casually, although I'd like his narration (not so much his dialogue) to be a bit more grammatically correct.
quote:

Oh boy...I think in a sarcastic way

Sarcastically is a fine word to use here.
quote:

Why do you always need to irritate me?” I say.

Since the narrator asked a question, it's preferable to say "I ask." Oddly, this is the first time I notice this issue, but anytime someone asks a question, you should say "I/he/she asks" rather than "I/he/she says."
On that note, I should also mention that you should use different synonyms for say to convey different emotions and expressions of the words.

I'm glad to see that you did keep the tense consistent throughout the first chapter. I'm also glad that most of the errors were simple formatting ones that could be fixed easily.

After reading this piece, I have a major suggestion. I feel this piece would work much better as a play. You have very strong dialogue, but your description of setting and character is minimal at best, which is fine if it's a play as it's usually left to a director's interpretation, but is frustrating in a novella. Also, reading "I/he/she says" all the time is very awkward, and it distracts from the content of the dialogue. Most of the thoughts of the protagonist can be conveyed through the expression of an actor or a soliloquy . As I imagined the piece, I could see how an actor would portray it, even though there was little description. Your content is great, I just question the medium. It's something to consider and ultimately your decision.

The content was interesting, although I'd like to know a bit more about the characters, especially Kian's friend Gal. I'm sure as the story progresses we'll know more about them. I'm interested to read more, which is the ultimate goal of the first chapter of any story.
AQ AQW  Post #: 4
11/22/2010 16:03:26   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just used to using "says" because my English teach imprinted that "using a word that replaces 'says' too much is bad" my brain. And yes, I thought there would be some grammatical errors and such here and there. I was trying to edit it since it was too, how should I put it, rushed-looking.

As for the play suggestion....
I would have a pretty hard time with that, because my story will feature some pretty extravagant amounts of fantastical elements. These include being attacked by a vampire, the power of the Phantom Seed (don't want to spoil what that is just yet...), an "ancient creature," and a whole bunch of other stuff. I guess I'll try to improve on the first and second chapter after I've finished them.

< Message edited by Aqworlds_ratix 34 -- 11/22/2010 16:09:01 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 5
11/22/2010 17:22:48   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

I know what you mean (my creative writing teacher once said that too), but you don't want to go to the other extreme and not use any descriptive words for "says" either.

If you decide not to change the format, I suggest padding out the description of setting and character a bit. I want to have a little more visuals as to where this story takes place, as well as some perception into how the protagonist views the world. You don't have to go overboard; I still think your strength lies in dialogue, but more than what you have would be nice. I thought you did a nice job describing Kian's room, but was disappointed that almost everything else lacked sensory imagery.
AQ AQW  Post #: 6
11/24/2010 21:20:36   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

Alright, I made some attempt at improving the description of the setting. Chapter two is half-way finished.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Phantom Seed Novella
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition