Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

2012 Apocalypse

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> 2012 Apocalypse
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/13/2010 20:53:26   
keenanconlon17

2012 Apocalypse

Drop all of your stuff and take cover: The 2012 apocalypse is upon us. But what really is going to happen in 2012? Some examples include asteroid 433 Eros is going to pass within 17 million miles of Earth, the Olympics will be held London, the Earth’s population will pass 7 billion in October, and of course, the Mayan calendar will end its 5,125 year cycle, which signifies the end of Earth and its people.
Now let me explain the Mayan calendar. The Mayans have 3 different calendars. Two of those calendars intersect every 52 years making the long count calendar. About every 395 years the first number on the long count calendar would increase, they called it a Baktun. But then the Baktuns stop at 13 or December 21, 2012. Now why may this be? Nobody actually has the answer to that question. Now I think, and I’m sure most people agree, that the Mayans can’t keep writing this calendar on forever I mean they have to stop at some point right? But what if there is a deeper meaning, what if the Mayans new something that we did not ? We can only hope that they didn't.
Another theory says that a new planet, so called "Planet X", which is a comet/planet, is going to pass very close to the Earth causing things to happen like earthquakes, tidal waves, and all sorts of destruction. Apparently this was supposed to happen in 2003 but when it did not happen, and people heard about the much more popular Mayan calendar, the Plant X catastrophe was then moved to 2012. Also, the Planet X advocates thought that 2012 was close enough to 2003 so they just changed the date. I think that this is not a plausible reason because as you can tell these astronomers are pretty loose on their dates about when it is going to happen so there is no reasoning why it will happen it 2012. Also, there is no scientific reasoning to back up this theory. The Planet X is only a legend and a miss-interpretation of astronomical observations.
Here is one more reason people our frightened of the supposed "end of the world." About 500 years ago, Copernicus confirmed what Hipparchus had observed in 2200 b.c. The axis of the Earth (which leans over at 23.5 degrees) completes one full rotation every 25,765 years. Astrologers divide it into 12 great months or astrological "ages", each about 2,147 years long. We are currently in the Age of Pisces and we are soon going to be entering the Age of Aquarius. Astronomers did place the end of the world at times such as 2595, 2654, or 2638. However, once everyone heard of the Mayan calendar, most astronomers moved the date to 2012. You have to think though how the coming of the Age of Aquarius will bring an end to this world. I cannot find any plausible reasoning behind these claims.
So that’s lots of reasons, loose as they may be, why the world is coming to an end in 2012. Just all those believers remember that there are tons of doomsday stories. For example Nostradamus predicted the end would come in July of 1999, December of 1999, June of 2002, and October of 2005. So can we really rely on another of those doomsday stories or is this a total hoax? We will never know until December 21, 2012. So pack your suitcase, and prepare yourself, for 2012 is almost upon us.

Remember this is grade 9 work and thanks for viewing

< Message edited by keenanconlon17 -- 12/13/2010 20:56:41 >
AQ  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> 2012 Apocalypse
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition