Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Story,Code,Dev= Brr... its cold out there.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Story,Code,Dev= Brr... its cold out there.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/18/2011 11:18:46   
Falerin
Legendary Loremaster

quote:

I almost called this Freezing Update part II as it seems to fit the theme but I did not want to confuse Aelthai's important design notes from yesterday nor to clutter them with material irrelevant to their topic.

As many of you doubtless know William, my Dhe Ehmn, is an educator. William it appears is having a snow day. While snow days delight children and indeed some educators, William finds this lamentable because it uses up his unscheduled paid time off, furthermore he already took a sick day on Monday recovering from a intestinal ailment so this is two out of four down within the first month of the new year.

- The Loremaster

quote:

Dude! you are totally telling it wrong. Sure William's real life is interesting and junk but its not what's important to the players who read these notes... get a clue man and get with the times. Him having a snow day is indeed terrible but not because of his days off but because Flash is not available where he is now... so it is delaying his work on our next arrival. I vote for dropping napalm on the roads of Central Pennsylvania and melting the ice...

- Fal

quote:

Buddy, Dude, you two need to both cool your jets. I have some experiments running in perfecting Tralin's of Deren's more experimental magic. Soon I can probably cause an elemental cascade failure. And then Woot Woot. The last thing I need is the lot of you running about and messing things up. You with your crotchety old silliness and you with your angst. Life is short go out and live it... while theres still time. And stay out of our hair in the process. Dhows is a good guy but he already drags enough on my time...

- Ardendor

While the Falerin's sort out their differences I suppose its time to actually discuss design. As many know I have spent a good deal of time learning more flash. I am presently working on a considerable project that builds on my previous work. In particular this involves a follow up to division by zero.

The Follow up is bigger than division by zero in several senses:
Longer play time.
Larger scale.
Epicness of Storyline.

In fact the release is larger enough than division by zero that the event, which is another war, is large enough that it is expanded over two weeks and shall be the main content for those two weeks.

We may throw in some additional LTS material on the off week or some smaller bonus content but the aptly titled "Mostly Harmful" will be the main content for those two weeks.

Mostly Harmful, a title that parodies the words of the late great Douglas Adams, is the description of Seth Cay Dhows.

Dhows who will still remain unnamed at Harmful's conclusion this spring will be by the end of Harmful somewhat less mysterious, in that much of Dhow's past will be revealed.

Harmful aims to Parody the Devourer saga in scope and content.

Some have cried out for more Devourer saga even while others lament it. I have learned many lessons since then and think I can split the difference. Stylistically it has some similarities. The first half of each cut-scene for instance totally omits the player with the NPCs involved in that half talking around the player about all sorts of hidden secrets and mysterious goings on.

However the second half of every cutscene keeps the more recent player focus very firmly in mind as does a very important special mission that is epic enough in scope to qualify as several quests all it's own but whose content is so inextricably tied to the war proper that it remains tied.

This mechanism is an untried one but which is a natural follow up to Div/0. Several other division by zero mechanisms remain in play including Dhows ticking clock though Dhows is tormenting the Terns with it this time rather then the Lorians. (The Player sees it but the Character is, at least at the surface, unaware).

For truth seekers and the lot there are several in jokes and the resolution of some dangling threads but the content of Harmful is designed so that even if you do not know the background story it's content follows clearly. Even if you were not a truth seeker you should get it all and it may make parts of that saga that you never got make some sense.

Dhows has been a naughty boy and not just on Lore. He has a longer history of naughtiness than any could imagine.

From an art perspective and a sections perspective harmful is more compact than Div/0. I learned a bit from that war. If you win harmful you will not see the losing ending nor will you see the winning ending if you lose either.

But the important material is not stacked in the end but distributed through the middle. The material in the endings therefore is general enough that such does not matter.

This is not to say that lore wont be effected.

It will be...

In fact so much so that I will not write more then the bare bones of the next part of the Fleck saga, until the end of Harmful is known.

Oh and an NPC from the past or two may be making a return in this segment in potentially unexpected ways.

Harmful also begins the setup for other things including the name contest which soon draws to a close.

Far be it for me to not give a few spoilers to the crowd that likes such... so here is some in no particular order. Note that these represent beta script writing and may be subject to redaction.

spoiler:

• Minister Bree’ha: You seem very informed about my movements...

Dhows: It is in my nature to keep very informed.

• CHILD: First you must play with me.

PLAYER: I am too busy, I’ve no time for child’s play.

Child: No play, no Falerin.

• Saemic: sʇnɔʞ ɥǝɹǝ ʍǝ ɐɹǝ

• Ardendor: Dude... why do I need those other pieces. I feel awesome already... and who needs another person to cramp our style.

Dhows: I do, you insufferable idiot!

• Dhows: Forgotten... no worse IGNORED.... Your work, and life, are meaningless....

???: Meaningless?

Dhows: The very fabric of your being has been unraveled by changing time. Uncreation would be kinder for at least in that there is forgetfulness...

• ???: ….whaaaaaat doooooooo youuuuuuuuuuuuu waaaaaant oooooooof meeeee shaaaaaaaaaaadow.

Dhows: Oh it is not what I want of you... the pieces are almost in place for what it is you want of me....

< Message edited by Falerin -- 1/18/2011 11:44:24 >
Post #: 1
1/18/2011 11:33:23   
Falerin
Legendary Loremaster

Note that Mostly Harmful is presently scheduled for some time in early spring so this is more an update about the development process and upcoming ideas then it is about immediate future content.
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Story,Code,Dev= Brr... its cold out there.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition