Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: (AQ/DF) Legacy of Blood

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (AQ/DF) Legacy of Blood
Page 7 of 11«<56789>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/19/2012 13:54:25   
Razen

No, no, I got the message, for the most part, but the sentence is really weird structure-wise and missing at least one word from what I can tell, first part might even need to be split into a different sentence. Because "Since he does not any of our brethren in his ranks" is not grammatically possible to be a sentence, because it lacks a verb, making it a fragment.

It should look more like:
quote:

Since he does not *employ or probably a similar verb* any of our brethren in his ranks, so we get little information from there. Although, it seems obvious what he seeks.
And one of those "he"s can be replaced with Akriloth.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 151
7/20/2012 6:56:06   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

@Razen: Made the changes.

7/10 people in favour of bonus chapter.

< Message edited by Dwelling Dragonlord -- 7/21/2012 13:22:04 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 152
7/31/2012 21:09:47   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

quote:

The forest was eerily quiet that night, moonlight creating shadows that would make bold men grow uneasy.
The peace was unsettling, as if nature was in trance under a moonlit sky. As if it tried to deny the horrors committed by monsters and men. Perhaps it was peace out of guilt, perhaps it was peace born from fear, perhaps it was peace born from denial.

I know you are trying to set a mood here, and you do well, but you could do much better. The sentences are a little choppy. Details here would be invaluable. If you truly want to create an eerie setting, think about what makes a forest eerily quiet. Close your eyes and walk around one. Once you've established what you see in your mind, write it down. Just write it down. Don't cultivate it, don't put it in perfect sentence structure, don't edit it, just write it. Once you've got it all down, then, and only then, do you pick what is most effective and begin to expand upon it and write it into your introduction.

Your reader wants to feel like they are there. Just telling me that it is eerily quiet isn't getting me sucked into your story.Think about your 5 senses. Creating an eerie scene requires at least touch, sight and hearing. Smell can be useful, as in an out of place smell.

Let's move onto the shadows. You could mess with the reader's mind here with a little description. Create the shadows that is supposed to make the bold men uneasy. Off to the side of a path, a shadow grew as a figure advanced down it. Shadows can grow and diminish, stretch, shrink, move as if alive...

"As if it tried to deny the horrors committed by monsters and men." This is a sentence fragment. It greatly reduces the flow of the writing. And since this is where you introduce what is going on, this sentence is extremely important. There are better ways to make this sentence pop out and attack than to make it a fragment.

"Perhaps it was peace out of guilt, perhaps it was peace born from fear, perhaps it was peace born from denial" Too many 'perhaps'. Repetition is not always the perfect way to convey emphasis. With this, I think the mood and setting would greatly benefit from each of these "perhaps" being their own sentence and description. You really want to pound home that this setting is not ideal, it is not where any of us want to be.

quote:

A lone bat in search of gnats found death in a hungry owl, breaking the trance and shattering the illusion.
I love this sentence, especially following what you started with. It's beautiful. My one hang-up with it is, how does this break the trance and shatter the illusion? Was there sound accompanying the hunt? Did the beating of the owl's wings cause a disturbance in the very still trees? Was there a death cry, a hunter's scream?

quote:

Gnats started humming again and the sound of crickets filled the night.
Do more with this. What you seem to be doing is trying to set up everything as continuing as normal. Gnats hummed, spun in a tornado of wings and eyes, looking for a place to call home for the night. The crickets once again sang their song, as if relieved of a passing horror, concentrating on finding that perfect mate.

quote:

In this forest stood a house, a hut with a roof of straw and walls fashioned out of clay bricks.
For emphasis, I would make this line stand apart from the rest of the introduction. You went from describing awkwardness and eerie, to its passing and resuming normalcy. This is like punctuation in the form of a sentence. And, it's in contrast to what transpires next. Almost like you are setting up a false peace. It also is a wonderful transition to the next paragraph.

quote:

While the forest around returned to life, the house remained quiet. On the doorstep two men lay dead, one leaning against the broken door. The cuts were clean of blood and so was the blade that had made them. Outside it had started raining lightly, allowing the figure inside to imitate the sounds of raindrops to alert none of its presence. Quiet as a shadow the figure made its way up the stairs.
Detail the two men laying dead. What makes them significant enough to mention. Who were they (and I don't mean name-wise)? Were they regular guys, or were they guards? If they were guards, were they royal, hired out, or familial? Elaborate on what looks to be a scene where a fight had broken out, or at least an altercation happened. You want the reader to wonder... is someone still there? Was the altercation violent, or passive? Did they have a chance, or was it such an overwhelming defeat, that these two had no hope under the stars of surviving?

"The cuts were clean of blood and so was the blade that had made them. " Why? This sentence is interesting, but with no real elaboration, I am left a bit empty. I want to know why the cuts were clean. If it was because of the rain, you need to mention it first. But then again,if is was because of the rain, you should have blood slowly running down skin, soaking into cloth, watered down by raindrops. If it was for any other reason, it really needs to have some detail explaining it. Again, readers want to be there, experience it, feel it, hear it... the more you tell them, the more they will experience.

Mentioning the rain and the lone figure mimicking the sound is a very cool process. Is there any way you can elaborate on how the lone figure accomplishes this? And climbing stairs is no quiet feat. How does he/she do this? He had to have done something,because the next paragraph begins with the woman noticing his presence and had to turn around. You have to set this up and make it believable.

Ack, must step out for a while. Will pick up where I left off.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 153
8/2/2012 18:18:01   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

Changes made.

Also noticed some sentences which were way too long in another chapter and cut them up.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 154
9/5/2012 15:24:51   
Shadow Ravena
Paladin of Shadows

Interesting story- and well written as usual (caught up on a few chapters). Really like how you give ordinary monsters personalities- makes the story seem more real.

Bonus chapter... sounds cool. In favor from this corner. And I must say, for a kid who never plays AQ, I can still follow the story (though probably miss a few jokes), good job with that.

Though one question, my memory is slipping: what race is Azer again?
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 155
9/5/2012 16:24:31   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@Shadow Ravena: I'm glad to read you enjoyed them. I think you'll like some of the things I have in mind for the plot.

Azer is a human (or humee as a certain character calls him). Just remember it means that and you're good.

9/10 people in favour of bonus chapter.

< Message edited by Dwelling Dragonlord -- 9/13/2012 10:20:52 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 156
9/15/2012 17:59:47   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

Another chapter is up.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 157
9/16/2012 14:31:34   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

CHAPTER XVII: "Dreams of Rebirth"

spoiler:

Achievement Unlocked: Main Villain

Do tell me your opinions on this character.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 158
9/17/2012 5:04:48   
lordkaho
Creative!

CHAPTER XVI

Redtail was eccentric before...but now she's actually kinda funny.

Our green friend doesn't seem very impressed with Gnome technology, though I think if he met the Inquisition's master craftsman Lorch, they'd be good friends. No more complex techno babble, all that matters is that the machine makes loud explosions.

Those two shadows...I suppose they're acting as a part of a huge conspiracy led by a certain character introduced in the next chapter?

CHAPTER XVII

Kind of confused on this one. We have a character fleeing from some creatures I can only think of as undead, and then he magically transports himself into the throne room of our star of the day. Are there two or more forces clashing here?

About the 'Villain' himself, I feel he's of the cunning and calculating type. Classic villain introduction, but still works. Also, interesting choice of music you had there. I kinda wonder how you stumbled into Berserker's theme in the first place? O.O

On another note, one of Jeanne's knights is slightly based off him.

And lastly, Who is this defector by the way?

< Message edited by lordkaho -- 9/17/2012 5:05:09 >
DF MQ  Post #: 159
9/17/2012 5:22:35   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@lordkaho: Doc needed that encounter for something I have planned a year or two before the start of DragonFable. Fairly recent, anyway.

quote:

CHAPTER XVII

*Points at title.*

quote:

I kinda wonder how you stumbled into Berserker's theme in the first place? O.O

Can't you guess? *Gives a mirror.*

So .... next up is the other main villain of the story.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 160
9/17/2012 5:35:48   
Glais

quote:

So he jerked straight up his frogzard at her response.

Line feels kind of...weird to me, don't know why though. Maybe "He pulled his frogzard to a halt" or some other permutation would flow better.
quote:

"Ah, down't bwe wike twat, mwah pwince. Or I won't giwe wou wa kwiss."

This one's a bit odd, but one of those words is apparently offensive (#5). Oh look, AQW's chat filter's teaching me something good for once xD
quote:

"Why do adventurers dress up like villains? They just do!"

So very very true. Wonder why that is...
quote:

but they didn't seem to be much impressed.

Should be "very" I think.
quote:

As always he saw world in a haze of red.
Not a correction, just confused by this sentence. What's it mean exactly?
quote:

His right eye started glowing for a brief moment, it was red and was remarkably big

Hm, a large eye? ~_^ A GIANT? :D

Anyhow, as to the villain. Must admit I didn't see this coming.
spoiler:

A Hunter is definitely not what I predicted as the antagonist to this story and I think it's a nice touch indeed. Wonder what he's hunted so far...
DF MQ  Post #: 161
9/17/2012 5:38:19   
lordkaho
Creative!

quote:

So .... next up is the other main villain of the story.

Hmm. So we have more than one antagonist...And I assume our dark villain here is also trying to get rid of him/her/it, while playing the rest of Kingdom like pieces on a chessboard. Now that Glaisaurus pointed it out, for this person "Bigger Game"="People" right?

quote:

Can't you guess? *Gives a mirror.*

Well now. That's quite a surprise. I guess you have been exploring some of the other tracks as well? Expect to hear them used in my story later on.

< Message edited by lordkaho -- 9/17/2012 5:41:57 >
DF MQ  Post #: 162
9/17/2012 5:53:50   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@glaisaurus_x:
quote:

Maybe "He pulled his frogzard to a halt" or some other permutation would flow better.

His frogzard was already halted. I'm talking about getting straight up in the saddle.

quote:

Not a correction, just confused by this sentence. What's it mean exactly?

That's a hint.

quote:

A GIANT? :D

spoiler:

Not really, the Triad of One thinks of most giants as dumb and easily manipulated brutes.

@lordkaho: Did I manage to remedy the confusion a bit by pointing at the title?

< Message edited by Dwelling Dragonlord -- 9/24/2012 7:26:37 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 163
9/17/2012 6:01:34   
lordkaho
Creative!

@Dwelling

spoiler:

From what I gather Dreams of Rebirth means to be rid off the old and rise of the new. In a psychological sense it means having to undergo a self renewal. But in this case, does 'defector' mean that what this shadow is, it was something that was once a part of our Villain? If not..I'm quite at a total loss here X(

< Message edited by lordkaho -- 9/17/2012 6:02:19 >
DF MQ  Post #: 164
9/17/2012 7:27:21   
Razen

Finally back to read this again. And, boy-oh did I forget where I left off, so I've re-read everything since VII.

Although, I missed some things, so maybe me forgetting where I was was for the best of us?

quote:

"You are wrong to think I will teach him something that lightly."

Between something and that, there needs to be a 'like'.

quote:

"You thought wrong, one as myself knows well the responsibility of such teachings."

Between one and as, there needs to be a 'such'.

quote:

shadows he had thought to be objects in the room now faintly resembled dravir running as if their very lives depended on it.

There needs to be an a between resembled and dravir.

quote:

The blue fairy mumbled sad with a sunswirl in her mouth as if it were to be her last.

Sad should be sadly.

quote:

There's more than enough not that Seeker ran off.

I'm guessing that there needs to be another that between that and Seeker, with the comma after the first that, and not needs to be now. Mostly because I can't understand the sentence any other way.

quote:

"Yes, tenthousand after which you agree to only go on missions with guardians from that point on."

Tenthousand needs a space between ten and thousand.

quote:

always hand an empty beg or they'll be offended that you're trying to give them your trash

Beg should be bag.

Anyways, I think that I best call it a time for a bit with ending off on Chapter XV. So far...I'm quite interested with how the Guardian Head relates to Azer and hope to find out. As well, Doc seems like a cool guy as can be noted by all of his appearances. But, that makes...Two chapters left for later today? My, oh my, I get more time to read. Well, I should only have one left then. Or possibly finish this off.

quote:

So he jerked straight up his frogzard at her response.

Not quite sure what's missing here, but I know that it certainly is missing something. Or maybe straight up should be moved after frogzard which should clarify the line.

quote:

leaning so much forward

Minor correction, much should be far.

And, well, it seems that there are two Seekers in on this. Or one that is schizophrenic. Quite, quite interesting, DD.

Welp...the last chapter was quite a throw-off, although the descriptions somewhat disappointed me for sounding all too familiar. I was hoping for better of you, DD. :P

< Message edited by Razen -- 9/17/2012 7:43:23 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 165
9/17/2012 8:10:33   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@Razen:
quote:

There needs to be an a between resembled and dravir.

One sheep, two sheep. One dravir, two dravir.

quote:

Welp...the last chapter was quite a throw-off, although the descriptions somewhat disappointed me for sounding all too familiar. I was hoping for better of you, DD. :P

spoiler:

How to hide something from the world's greatest detective?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 166
10/1/2012 17:24:47   
Shadow Ravena
Paladin of Shadows

Finally caught up (a month late...)

And here I was thinking this story was going to be simple... hah! So we have Azer looking for the Seeker, Doc helping him, a mysterious group killing Paladins (if they are an AQ monster, I wouldn't know), another guy who was nearly killed then teleported himself (I think?), and a big scary guy ordering someone else around who is a master chessman, and the order-y is working for somebody else, to hunt for some traitorous group as well as take down a group the DL Order helps. Correct?
I
Must say, I'm getting interested! Though a tad confused, it is to be expected :p I am intrigued as to where this is heading (now that we seem to have all the main plots started), keep it up.

And I'm with razen... next time I'm re-reading the whole thing!
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 167
11/18/2012 14:40:04   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

CHAPTER XVIII: “Gold Cannot Buy You Everything”

CHAPTER XIX: “Beginnings of a Legend”
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 168
12/4/2012 21:58:08   
lordkaho
Creative!

quote:

pale woman with an eye patch and wearing a black kimono with white sleeves.

Hitokiri?

Maximillion Tax... I don't like this guy.

As for Chapter XIX, I really loved the piece your picked for the BGM. AWEthur, indeed.

By the way, I'm not that versed in AQ and its politics, so who is this 'Emperor' that Alteon and his council are talking about?

DF MQ  Post #: 169
12/5/2012 6:16:42   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@lordkaho: The hitokiri are something you'd find in the more darker section of AQ Lore.

I thought you would've liked him a little better now or not seeing what he plans on doing.*

The emperor is Sek-Duat (I left away his name on purpose since I do not know the numerals). I did mention the Sandsea, did I not?

*Did you notice the little reference I made to your story?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 170
12/5/2012 19:45:34   
lordkaho
Creative!

quote:

The hitokiri are something you'd find in the more darker section of AQ Lore.

You mean the lady that's on AQ's poster? The one with an Orc ready to unsheathe a Katana. At first I thought they were the class trainers for the Martial Artist class.

quote:

I thought you would've liked him a little better now or not seeing what he plans on doing.*

I don't know. He seems to have good intentions, but I just feel a bad vibe towards him.

quote:

I did mention the Sandsea, did I not?

Oh that. I thought the Sandsea was just a domain which this Emperor had conquered. Now that I reread the conversation, it was actually so obvious. Silly me. Though, Valen has a point. Duat's army has a great terrainous advantage, that and he has control of the wheather there, meaning he can manipulate the most vital essence in the desert: water.

This is what crushed the French Crusaders at the Battle of Hattin at the hands of Saladin. Even if they accompany Mages with knowledge of replenishing spells, or bring a handy supply of rations, they will have to recopurate or restock sooner or later.

quote:

*Did you notice the little reference I made to your story?

Sorry, but I did not. Mind pointing it out?

DF MQ  Post #: 171
12/6/2012 6:01:07   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

quote:

You mean the lady that's on AQ's poster? The one with an Orc ready to unsheathe a Katana. At first I thought they were the class trainers for the Martial Artist class.

While Lady Akai was mentioned in the chapter, she is not a hitokiri as far as I am aware. (Boog is an (half-)ogre, though various accounts contradict each other.) Furthermore, I would not deem the arts they train "dark" or frowned upon as much as what the hitokiri do. You will have your answer when you meet a woman named Heidi. I don't want to spoil that anime-section of Lore for you.

quote:

I don't know. He seems to have good intentions, but I just feel a bad vibe towards him.

Aye, he has good intententions. Misfortune will surely befall him though in his quest. *Flips a coin.*

quote:

Sorry, but I did not. Mind pointing it out?

spoiler:

"A keep requires a lot of financing. That fat treasurer won't budge easily, but luckily I know just where I can get something to convince him otherwise .... I just need to get rid of those filthy rats first."
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 172
12/18/2012 15:07:17   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

CHAPTER XX: "Birth and Death"

P.S.: The French aren't really known for knowing the field advantage, do they?
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 173
12/18/2012 15:34:34   
Glais

Somehow I wound up two chapters behind, have since fixed that.

Just when things were starting to make sense, new plot details appear. A baby Giant ~_^
DF MQ  Post #: 174
12/18/2012 18:12:33   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

@glaisaurus_x: How did you perceive the music and atmosphere in general?

spoiler:

I take it you understand that she's no longer a baby?

@Shadow Ravena: Before you get thoughts of me having something against you, it's not like I want to ignore you. It's just that you're asking stuff which I can give you answers on that say too much or too little. All I can advice is doing what you said yourself.

Supporters for bonus chapter: AD, C, gl, lk, M, M, R, SR/10
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (AQ/DF) Legacy of Blood
Page 7 of 11«<56789>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition