Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: The Official Quotes Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: The Official Quotes Thread
Page 9 of 10«<678910>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/9/2014 8:57:50   
Seth Hydra
How We Roll Winner
Nov14

quote:

At any point in your life, if you feel that its playing out as the script of HIMYM, make sure you arent the Ted Mosby of that story!

Me
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 201
6/25/2014 16:47:04   
liamliam1234liam

quote:

There are so few people with whom you really connect in this world; there are so few people with whom it really makes sense, so you cannot let your fear get in the way of going after someone you love.
Ryan O'Connell

quote:

When you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
Harry Burns

quote:

You make me happier than I ever thought I could be, and if you will let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.
Chandler Bing

quote:

She held a special place in my heart; I kept this special place just for her, like a "Reserved" sign on a quiet corner table in a restaurant, despite the fact I was sure I would never see her again.
Haruki Murakami

quote:

If you are Nikolina from Mostar, then I have been your boyfriend since 5th grade; please get back to me so we can figure out what to do.
Marco from Mostar

quote:

All I wanted was to feel indispensable to one person, not because we were related but because that person truly viewed me as someone who made their life significantly better just by being myself.

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 6/19/2019 0:38:34 >
DF  Post #: 202
6/30/2014 10:20:24   
Alex Wolfblade

quote:

If you strike me down, make sure you're gone before I get back up.

Not sure who said this, but I love it.
Post #: 203
7/13/2014 10:45:55   
sean.2
My life for Aiur

quote:

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

Charlie Chaplin: The Great Dictators Speech. The whole thing is amazing and has been stuck in my head for ages now.
Post #: 204
7/18/2014 22:24:48   
Rio3678

quote:

When you see the future there is irony everywhere

Rumplestiltskin from Once Upon a Time after Corra describes her dress as snow white

< Message edited by Rio3678 -- 7/18/2014 22:25:06 >
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 205
8/22/2014 1:50:42   
liamliam1234liam

quote:

I see America with half the number of prisons, half the number of prisoners, ten thousand fewer homicides a year, inner cities in which there is a chance for these poor people to live without being afraid for their lives, citizens who might be respectable who are now addicts not being subject to becoming criminals in order to get their drug, being able to get drugs for which they're sure of the quality. You know, the same thing happened under prohibition of alcohol as is happening now.
Under prohibition of alcohol, deaths from alcohol poisoning, from poisoning by things that were mixed in with the bootleg alcohol, went up sharply. Similarly, under drug prohibition, deaths from overdose, from adulterations, from adulterated substances have gone up.
quote:

I am an economist, but the economics problem is strictly tertiary: it is a moral problem; it is a problem of the harm which the government is doing.
I have estimated statistically that the prohibition of drugs produces, on the average, ten thousand homicides a year. It is a moral problem that the government is going around killing ten thousand people; it is a moral problem that the government is making into criminals people, who may be doing something you and I do not approve of, but who are doing something that hurts nobody else. Most of the arrests for drugs are for possession by casual users.
Now, here is somebody who wants to smoke a marijuana cigarette. If he is caught, he goes to jail. Now, is that moral? Is that proper? I think it is absolutely disgraceful that our government, supposed to be our government, should be in the position of converting people who are not harming others into criminals, of destroying their lives, putting them in jail. That is the issue to me; the economic issue comes in only for explaining why it has those effects, but the economic reasons are not the reasons. Of course, we are wasting money on it – ten, twenty, thirty billion dollars a year, but that is trivial; we are wasting that much money in many other ways, such as buying crops that ought never to be produced.
See, if you look at the drug war from a purely economic point of view, the role of the government is to protect the drug cartel. That is literally true.
Milton Friedman

quote:

If things ever really come to a crunch in the United States, this massive [fundamentalist] part of the population – I think it is something like a third of the adult population by now – could be the basis for some kind of a fascist movement, readily. For example, if the country sinks deeply into a recession, a depoliticized population could very easily be mobilized into thinking it is somebody else's fault: "Why are our lives collapsing? There have to be bad guys out there doing something for things to be going so badly," and the bad guys can be Jews, or homosexuals, or blacks, or Communists, whatever you pick. If you can whip people into irrational frenzies like that, they can be extremely dangerous: that is what 1930s Fascism came from, and something like that could very easily happen here.
quote:

The nature of the system is that it is supposed to be driven by greed; no one is supposed to be concerned for anybody else, nobody is supposed to worry about the common good – those are not things that are supposed to motivate you, that is the principle of the system. The theory is that private vices lead to public benefits – that is what they teach you in economics departments. It is all total bull[], of course, but that is what they teach you. And as long as the system works that way, yeah, it is going to self-destruct.
quote:

There are places in the world that have a broader range of political parties than we do, like Latin American countries, for example, which in this respect are much more democratic than we are. Well, when popular reform candidates in Latin America get elected and begin to introduce reforms, two things typically happen. One is, there's a military coup supported by the United States. But suppose that doesn't happen. What you get is capital strike: investment capital flows out of the country, there's a lowering of investment, and the economy grinds to a halt. That is the problem that Nicaragua has faced in the 1980s, and which it cannot overcome, in my view, it is just a hopeless problem. See, the Sandinistas have tried to run a mixed economy: they have tried to carry out social programs to benefit the population, but they have also had to appeal to the business community to prevent capital flight from destroying the place. So most public funds, to the extent there are any, go as a bribe to the wealthy, to try to keep them investing in the country. The only problem is, the wealthy would prefer not to invest unless they have political power: they would rather see the society destroyed.
quote:

So the wealthy take the bribes, and they send them to Swiss banks and to Miami banks, because from their perspective, the Sandinista government just has the wrong priorities. I mean, these guys hate democracy just as much as Congress hates democracy: they want the political system to be in the hands of wealthy elites, and when it is again, then they will call it "democracy" and they will resume investing, and the economy will finally start to function again. Well, the same thing would happen here if we ever had a popular reform candidate who actually achieved some formal level of power: there would be disinvestment, capital strike, a grinding down of the economy. And the reason is quite simple. In our society, real power does not happen to lie in the political system, it lies in the private economy: that is where the decisions are made about what is produced, how much is produced, what is consumed, where investment takes place, who has jobs, who controls the resources, and so on and so forth. And as long as that remains the case, changes inside the political system can make some difference – I do not want to say it is zero – but the differences are going to be very slight.
Noam Chomsky, On Power

< Message edited by liamliam1234liam -- 6/19/2019 0:50:55 >
DF  Post #: 206
9/8/2014 20:52:10   
04intel

quote:

"Great men are almost always bad men."

~ Lord Acton

quote:

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."

~ Jean Rostand

quote:

"History is the autobiography of a madman"

~ Alexander Herzen

(Note: I got these quotes from Dan Carlin's Hardcore History but credited the quotes original creator. I highly recommend listening to Hardcore History if your into history btw.)

< Message edited by 04intel -- 9/18/2015 14:36:57 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 207
9/8/2014 21:19:47   
Edgemaster Scion
Constructive!

quote:

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

quote:

"Don’t correct people. Unless their wrongness will lead to them getting hurt or hurting someone else. You’ll have a fleeting sense of superiority and they’ll resent you. Nothing worthwhile comes of it. This used to be so hard, but now I cringe when someone else does it."

-Justin McElroy

The above quote is from this blog post. It is an eye opening post, even if a bit short.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 208
9/29/2014 13:21:42   
Rio3678

quote:

Revenge isn't a beginning, it's an end

Captain Hook from Once Upon a Time
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 209
9/29/2014 15:18:38   
Lord Noonien Soong

"Don't try to be a great man, just try to be a man." - Zefram Cochrane, Star Trek: First Contact
DF  Post #: 210
11/3/2014 5:37:39   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

"As long as I fail I feel complete, for from failure I am born and in failure I shall fade."

-Protagonist of a story that I work on.

quote:

"Just because you think he's a brutal corrupted divine chessmaster of infernal carnage, that does not imply he cannot have friends!"

-Same.

quote:

"It's quite the experience to hold the hand of someone as he moves from living to dead."

-Fear Factory, 'Final Exit'.
Post #: 211
11/30/2014 16:48:58   
Rio3678

quote:

It's Reyn time!

Reyn from Xenoblade Chronicles
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 212
11/30/2014 18:44:02   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

quote:

He that respects himself is safe from others. He wears a coat of mail that none can pierce.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
DF  Post #: 213
12/30/2014 21:43:05   
Rio3678

quote:

I know I have no right to ask this of any of you, but will you follow me, one last time?

Thorin from Hobbit Battle of Five Armies

quote:

Manges des Muffins (eat the muffins)

Bast from Kane Chronicles book 1 Red Pyramid

quote:

I'm a dwarf! I don't duck!

Bes from Kane Chronicles book 2 Throne of Fire

quote:

Too bad I'm stuck in this jar and no one will let me out

quote:

It's too bad I'm stuck in this jar. Otherwise I might have to take sides and help someone

quote:

How fun! I wish I could see it but I'm stuck in this jar

all by Set from Kane Chronicles book 2 Throne of Fire
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 214
1/12/2015 6:16:58   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

"Look at you. So weak, yet you are the reason I live. I wish I could dispatch of you, yet I cannot... for I would grant your wish, and *chuckles* I cannot do as such."

- "Not quite me", from a Persona RP I participate in.
Post #: 215
1/13/2015 18:41:26   
Hells Elder Brother

quote:

Smile my boy, it's sunrise.

Final quote of Robin Williams as Theodore Roosevelt in the movie Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb.
The feels are strong in this one.

< Message edited by Hells Elder Brother -- 1/13/2015 18:42:46 >

Veteran Soloer of AQW
Retired Guild Leader of Shadows of Lore
Former Screenshot Comic Maker of AQW

Hells Elder Brother
"Its never goodbye, it's see you later" - Furious 7 Quote
AQ AQW  Post #: 216
1/28/2015 19:28:39   
Kian
Creative!

"Democracy has to power to destroy democracy"

- Myself
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 217
1/31/2015 9:18:33   
Rio3678

quote:

So this is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You won't kill me because of your self righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're too much fun. I have a feeling we're destined to do battle for a long time

Joker to Batman in The Dark Knight.
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 218
2/6/2015 7:37:54   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

"Stop asking life for lemons. Go out and plant a lemon tree."

-Myself

quote:

"Everyone's days are numbered. How else could we define what age we are?"

-Myself

quote:

"Don't make me try to believe in illusions. Make me accept that which you claim to be existant actually is so."

-Myself

quote:

"Hypochondria is nothing but a shelter for all the abandoned imaginary friends children ever had."

-Myself

quote:

"We all are vulnerable. I would never deny said fact, however I do deny that all we can do about it is grit our teeth and bare with it. Go out and be the best you can, for this is the best light you can put yourself into."

-Myself
Post #: 219
9/1/2015 9:43:24   
Seth Hydra
How We Roll Winner
Nov14

quote:

A Lion doesn't concern himself over the opinions of the sheep.

Tywin Lannister
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 220
9/1/2015 10:46:31   
Heroes of the Scape

quote:

It's not the size of the man in the fight, but the size of the fight in the man.

This has been proven countless times in ever aspect of life.
AQ  Post #: 221
9/1/2015 11:17:04   
SonicTbear

quote:

It's true that they say you only live once, but when you die, you die.
Marge Simpson
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 222
10/30/2015 5:50:07   
Rafiq von den Vielen

quote:

"Only a genius would create such a door. Only an imbecile would open it."

- Flavor text, Door to Nothingness

Sad truth being I know more people inclined to open than to create such a door.

quote:

"Could you maybe take that stick out of your ass?" - "I'm a scarecrow, not a goddamn magician!"

- Side characters of my story project

More of comic relief characters than side characters but this little exchange makes me snicker time after time again.

quote:

"We've won the war inside our minds. Nothing can stop us now."

-Mark Hunter, Chimaira, "Born in Blood"

quote:

"I've walked with the dead - hand in hand. I see nothing coming of this masterplan! I want to live where nothing is alive!"

-Phil Bozeman, Whitechapel, also "Born in Blood"

As much of a shame it is that band has disbanded, I still employ major love to their music, and these two distinct little lines stand for a major part of my life.
Post #: 223
10/30/2015 16:54:40   
Seth Hydra
How We Roll Winner
Nov14

quote:

"Humans Have the power among themselves to be anything they want to be.
... Its strange that so many choose to be stupid".

This was from Black Butler I think.

quote:

"Explain to me why it is more noble to kill ten thousand men in battle, than a dozen at dinner".
Tywin Lannister justifying the red wedding

< Message edited by ss2195 -- 10/30/2015 16:55:07 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 224
10/31/2015 0:48:11   
Lord Noonien Soong

quote:

C'mon you target, of far away laughter! C'mon you piper, you painter, you dreamer, and shine!
'

Taken from Pink Floyd's "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" which was a tribute to their former leader Syd Barrett who left the band due to deteriorating mental health, and becoming an eventual recluse, who oddly enough showed up on the final recording of this song one day, out of the blue, completely different in appearance than he did in 1970.
DF  Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> Out of Context >> RE: The Official Quotes Thread
Page 9 of 10«<678910>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition