Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=MECH= Finishing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= Finishing
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/18/2011 18:43:43   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

How do you manage to keep going until you /finish/ writing a story?
(ie, get through the first draft until "the end")

Which I guess begs the question... have you ever finished a story?
(if not, how far did you get?)

EDIT: Further addition, what keeps you motivated?

< Message edited by demolitiondragon -- 3/19/2011 8:24:18 >
Post #: 1
3/18/2011 20:47:41   
superjars

I've always found that the best way to finish a story is to plan the thing out so that you know where you are starting and where you want to end up. If you start a story without an idea of how it will end, you can easily meander through a story without a purpose and get bored with it. Knowing where you want to go can keep you on track and make it easier to push through writer's block and all those things that get in our way as authors.

To answer your other question, I've wrote the beginning of several things, wrote the ending of several things and am working on the middle of those. So yes, and no.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/19/2011 0:05:10   
Mordred

Well, I don't have it written down, but my Mordred's Vengeance has a definitive ending that I've planned. And it kinda depresses me. I put a good few years into it, and I'm alone in the whole world that knows how it ends. I know that Mordred's tale is over, yet my peers have yet to know how or why. Which motivates me to get them to know. Mordred's Vengeance is my first project, and that is finished. It does help to have things AT LEAST roughly planned out. Try to avoid making it so you can't make changes to the plot, though.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
3/19/2011 0:26:09   
alexmacf

I can't even start my big project, let alone end it.

However, with poetry and short stories, I don't get done until the end of a week or two of playing, adjusting, and editing. I can whip out my first draft in minutes and it's usually quite good, but the finished product takes time. I get through it through sheer single-mindedness. Whatever I'm working on is the only thing on my mind, and the only thing I'm working on is the poem or story.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
3/19/2011 7:50:19   
Torn

As the others before me have stated, you have to have a clear idea of how you want the story to end. I have ony managed to finish one novel, which I am currently rewriting.

< Message edited by Torn -- 3/19/2011 13:26:15 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
10/4/2011 21:19:40   
sysdragonfable

I just end it, and what keeps me motivated is my fan(waves to one guy)

DF  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= Finishing
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition