Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) A Dragonlord's Departure: The Infected Soul

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) A Dragonlord's Departure: The Infected Soul
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/23/2011 13:32:36   
steel blade

The following takes place a few months before the appearance and the outbreak of the Zards. One must know the stories of the Friday the 13th 2010 events and especially Mogloween 2010 events. Most of the characters used are based loosely of my originality and imagination. Any other character that appears in game, all credits to AE.

Critique Thread
Discussion Thread

Prolouge
“We got a task for you. It’s about the remnants of the outbreak.”

Huh, it’s been a while since the outbreak. Such memories. Memories worth discarding. If it weren’t to come, perhaps he would still be here. Or perhaps, maybe if the outbreak didn’t come out either. But I guess that’s how fate works its ways—unexpecting, unknown. But why him? Why not me? Was it my fault that’s why he became like that? Or was it his stubbornness? Either way, I could not help him. I could not finish his life nor cure him. I pitied him the time was suffering too much that I could bear the screams he makes into his slow formation. In the end, he had to turn his back—not just to me—to the order, to Dragonsgrasp. He attacked me at the time he is already a full monster. I had to defend myself for my life. But I could have let myself be infected. It’s just…my body is involuntarily moving by its own when it comes to combat. I was trained perfectly by the Dragonlords. I cannot simply just let myself be scratched or hit by an imperfect timing of ambush. That block was then countered by a strong swing of my sword, sending him to the heart of the woods, nowhere for him to be found.

“Remnants? Until know, they are still alive?!” I slammed the mug of drink on the table, making a huge disturbance in the Dragonsgrasp Inn.

“Keep your voice down, Laura. This is a public area. Besides, the infection spawns more abundantly.” Donovan stands in front of me with a sword sheathed on his back.

“What do you want then?”
“We decided to dispatch you for investigation. We need you to find some clues to locate the source of the respawning infestation.”
“It’s probably the zards again.”
“The zards were driven back to the south a few months ago, Laura! Don’t you see? If fate allows it, maybe Vincent is involved with the spawning of the infection!”

I remained in silence. I began to reminisce the times we had, the words he said and the lectures he taught. Then, all of that came back to beginning of the crisis at hand.

< Message edited by steel blade -- 3/26/2011 13:59:30 >
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
3/26/2011 8:08:52   
steel blade

Chapter 1: An Easy Start
August 11 (2010)

It started at Dragonsgrasp, where I exhibit the skills of a DragonWarrior, such as myself. It was my first time to do an exhibition; I always dreamt of it when I was only a trainee. Never realized I would achieve this rank just to help—or maybe show off—the newcomers. I felt nervous because of the thought might make a mistake in front of the newcomers.

“Laura, you ready? If you think you can’t do it, I can give you a monster with weak power. Or you can back out. The recruits have been waiting and they seem bored.” Jonath the DragonMage approaches me, ready to cast an illusion.

“No….just…give me a simple monster. I’m fine. I can still do this.” I answered him with a nervous sight and a shaky feeling.

“Very well then.”

He ascends to the platform and speak off an announcement.

“Friends, fellow Dragonlords and recruits. Today is a momentous day for our newest exhibitionist, who was trained from her early childhood by the Hearther bloodline who found her freezing in the ruins of Bask, Laura Hearther; and for the new recruits who will witness the strength a DragonWarrior wields. I also want to welcome some of the officials who are here to observe the new exhibitionist. Now to begin with…”

As he talks in front of the crowd, I was just there. Sitting so nervously. Well, that’s because some of the officials are here to observe me. Now what could possibly go worse if I fail this one?

“Hey, Laura, you’re on now.” Jonath calls me in front of the stage silently. I rushed to the platform as I appeared in front of the audience. I readied my blade steadily but still nervously.

“Come forth, Deadwood Destroyer!”

The illusion Jonath casted was no monster I once fought. It was really new. Maybe he fought that creature somewhere in his past. The armored living tree creature with the wings of a flying eye growled and roared at me, trying to strike fear to everyone. But for a sudden, my eyebrows encountered each other. My nervousness was replaced by confidence. I guess it’s just in my blood. Having a monster’s aggression makes us berserk like an angry chickencow. I gripped my sword real tight and spoke in front.

“Lesson number one: never let fear overcome you.”

I rushed to the monster, giving a sign of aggression. It slammed its hand-branch to the floor and I successfully dodged it with a spinning aerial slash. Its branch was chopped off but it’s not over yet. It tried to slam me again with its other branch while it tries to regenerate its chopped branch. I, yet again, dodged to its left and stabbed its trunk. But to no avail, it just glanced at me like nothing happened. It then swung its hand, hurling me to the audience. Even though I was sent in the air and crashed down to some recruits, I sent them another lecture.

“Lesson number two would be: no matter how hurt you are, never to try giving up.”

I rushed again to the platform with my sword readied in a stance of holding my weapon with two hands. I jumped and readied a strike but before I knew it, the Deadwood managed to hit me with another swing of its hand, sending me to a wall on the right. Jonath tries to do something about the monster being overpowered but I interrupt him for making him do so.

“Lesson three: never let anything stop you from what you are to do.”

I stood back up on my feet and drew my blade back. I took one more glimpse at the tree. It had its other arm almost recovered. I was beginning to take a step towards it when he casted his curly twigs to me. Luckily, I dived towards the tree, giving another spinning slash on its knee after dodging. When it was imbalanced and knocked down, I stood up and struck my sword to its trunk, giving off an intensifying shriek. But nothing stopped me. After I struck the sword, I flipped again away from the tree with my sword pulled out. It was already weakened. So, I’ve given off my final attacks.

“Last advice, make sure every battle counts and worth it!”

After that warcry, silence resided. The tree didn’t flee as usual as it is. It instead fell to the floor. I sighed and wiped my forehead after kneeling on that last strike. Then, one of the recruits began to clap very fast. Soon, it followed a small applause. I bowed down to the audience, feeling I did wonderful.

After the exhibition, I sat down and rested for a while. I was thinking deeply of the lessons I was taught to—they are pretty much similar to ones I gave. Until some of the officials approached me.

“Pretty impressive performance you did there.” He stood in front of me with his hands on his waists.

“Hmm, never thought an official will be impressed. Well, it was nothing really. All you need is real hardwork, practice and a little time of being grounded.” I answered right in front of him while shining my sword with a fine piece of cloth.

“Oh, so that’s how the Hearther bloodline awesome? You need to be grounded?” He laughed about it, thinking it was a joke.

“For an official like you, you don’t seem to be serious.”
“You don’t need to. You just need to be skilled enough to get the rank of an official.”
“You’re that skilled?”
“Yeah. Skilled in mimicking Cysero’s humorous attitude.”

Laughter burst that moment. It was quite long though. I laughed so hard that I shed a tear from my eye.

“Name’s Vincent. Vincent Shepherd.” He introduced himself though I already know.
“I know…you’re quite talked about around Dragonsgrasp. And probably you’ve known mine, too, because of Jonath.”

We shared laughters, stories, theories and points throughout the afternoon. For one day, I never knew I would get a best friend in a day and never thought it would be an official. Perhaps fate planned this all along. Well if it did, it was the best it planned all among the things that happened to me. Things was interrupted when another official approached us.

“Vincent, we got an assignment for you.” Donovan Greathering, named after a talked-about Dragonlord who left the order which he says a coincidence, sending him a message of mission. Donovan wasn’t just a courier; he was Superior Crisis Courier of the Dragonlords. He is to send missions to designated Dragonlords. Well, I guess lucky Vincent.

“What is it now, Donny?”
“Stop calling me that absurd name. I’d rather be named to a departed Dragonlord, thank you.”
“What’s the catch?”
“A Dragonlord post has been established in Moonridge. Viamat says he needs more assistance from Dragonsgrasp. We have decided to send a few but worthy Dragonlords. You were nominated as one.”
“Lucky me.”
“You can take a partner if you want.”

He took a look at me, I thought he would leave me behind. But he instead asked me.

“Well, wanna join the mission? I guess this will be your first mission. I’ll tell Viamat to give only less-tensing assignment.” He recommended me but I saw his face smug, knowing he is joking.

“I don’t need boring stuff to live my life. I’m taught by the greatest Dragonlords for crying out loud! Any assignment he’ll give, I say bring it on!” I bragged right in front of the official, who was confused thinking me only as an ordinary DragonWarrior.

“Then it’s settled; Laura Hearther and I will be sent at Moonridge today.” Vincent declares with a loud but serious voice.

“Oh, so this is the one they were talking about: the Hearther descendant. You must be lucky, Vincent, that a legacy of the most greatest Dragonlords in history didn’t reject an invitation like that.” A surprised Donovan comments the matter.

“Wait, my forefathers declined each mission? How did they even get to the rank of an official? How did they get that respect without bloodstained valor?” I asked the experienced courier.

“Well, of course they played along during their new years. But until they’ve realized their true potential, they were promoted since then. But after that, they no longer participated in wars; they instead gone into strategists, Superior Tactical Strategist if you consider.”

He had a point there, but how about my father who taught me like he is? Is it true that during those times I was taught, he never went into the battlefield? Did he lied to me that he slashed a hundred of darkness creatures during the Friday the 13th? Then I realized, it’ll be another Friday the 13th soon. It’ll be my first time experience as a defender or perhaps, a warmonger.

“I see. When do we leave?” I asked again, just to be sure if Vincent was serious.

“Vincent, even if you want to go now, they said they can wait for at least a day after the day they sent the message. But they said as soon as possible. We’re heading north, Vincent. It’s been reported a snowstorm is coming in. And you know what we do when we head north.” He reminded Vincent of what that means. For sure, I know what it means.

“Nighttime already? C’mon Donny. They said as soon as possible.” A naïve Vincent complained and persuaded Donovan to let us leave. But to no avail, Donovan resisted.

“It’s Donovan! And we’re hitting a snowstorm. You guys need some rest, especially Ms. Young Hearther. I’ve heard of her greatness in exhibition. Besides, two factors will waste your energy. One, as I said, snowstorm. Your dragons will have flight difficulties during a bad weather. Two, we’re heading north. We’re distancing from Doomwood. It is recommended for you to leave at dawn or middle morning.”

He made a point: I was tired then. I was also sleepy at that moment. I suspect Vincent noticed during they were arguing. And so, he concluded the situation with a declaration.

“Fine, we leave when the sun is lit like the Light Orb. You should get to bed now, Laura. You too, Donny.”

He never stopped joking. Donovan left with insult on his face, heading back to the Senior Dragonlords. Vincent followed after reminding me some things I should do before leaving. I headed back to my room, packed all the things I needed for the next day and hit the sack. As I slept, I felt two feelings for the events that’ll happen tomorrow: confidence and nervousness. I brainstormed on my bed until I grow weary of thinking of it and had my eyes shut.
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
4/3/2011 11:07:05   
steel blade

Chapter 2: The Flight To Doomwood
August 12 (2010)

The dawn was still cold; I was awake already. It seems that the snowstorm is still amidst. It might be hard for the dragons to navigate with this one. They haven’t got southeastern yet. Maybe a delay might happen. I went on to the inn despite the cold wind sweeping through Dragonsgrasp with all the things I need and also my best weapon. I sat down on the chair, waiting for the sun to rise or the icy wind to go.

The inn was always open, but the services closed. The time was right for a moglinberry juice but the business wasn’t. I had to wait for a long while. I cannot sleep anymore; I was trained to be awakened early morning. Perhaps this time a little early. Well, okay, TOO early. While I was bored, I checked my things first if they are all complete. I began to find my amulet inside. Yep, the Dragon Amulet. It seems I’ve forgotten to wear it when I woke up. Glad that I packed it with me.

The door opened; meaning someone’s awaken.

“Ahh, too early, don’t you think, Laura?”

Vincent arrived at the moment of silence, turning it into something I can be busy with.

“Hmph, you should know how early I really am. In fact, I should be warming up by now. The snowstorm delayed me.” I answered the official while keeping my amulet inside my armor.

“No snowstorm could ever stop a Hearther. Don’t you think?”
“Surely you must be joking.”
“No joke; I’ve heard it was your father who guarded Dragonsgrasp during the Ice Dragon wars. You know, the ones Frostscythe lead? The ice dragons roamed around Lore during that time.”
“Well, I’m different.”

He grabbed a mug of moglinberry juice. I didn’t know we were allowed to do that. Or maybe because of the fact that he is an official.

“Care for some moglinberry juice?” He asked me with a sincere smile.

I answered him respectfully while I stood up and looked out the window. The sky’s turning bluish and the snowfall is getting weaker. I had hoped that it’ll be over soon with no delays. The dragons have lead the flying prison to a warm region. Soon, Vincent handed me a mug of moglinberry juice and asked me.

“So now that we’re leaving soon, is your dragon well-secured during the snowstorm?”

I had no answer. I don’t have a dragon. I couldn’t have a bond with them. I was only skill, but not charisma. I answered him with a no and explained to him why.

“I don’t like pets. It’s hard to train them. I can’t always watch them. I’m not like father, who had a dragon by his side whenever he is in combat.”
“I suppose you weren’t given a dragon egg?”
“A dragon egg isn’t a problem. It’s the dragon who’s the problem. It’s hard to befriend them.”
“It’s never too hard to befriend one; don’t let them understand you first. Understand them, then they’ll understand you. You’ve always thought a pet would only be a companion in battle. But how about as a companion for life?”
“I guess…I’ve always taught I was their master…”
“Let’s say you’ve learned your lesson.”

The sun has appeared on the eastern horizon. There were no snowfall but the mist and wind it brings is still there. Soon, Hudson entered the inn and later Inspector Doyle sat on a table once more but I felt he was daydreaming again. And, I’ve never seen his associate since then during Vilmor’s escape. Wonder where the hero could be?

The sun is almost whole. The Dragonlords and DragonWarriors soon became to spawn out Dragonsgrasp’s corridors. Donovan has been seen heading to the inn.

“You guys ready for the mission?” Donovan asks us the time he gets near the entrance of the inn where we waited for deployment.

“Packed and ready. We have been actually waiting since dawn. I just can’t wait Moonridge again. Last time I visited, I dropped bombs to undead.”
“You might be doing that again once you reach there. You’ll have your fun again, just like the old days.”

We grabbed our bags and all the stuff we need and met the others who were dispatched for help at Moonridge at the deployment area. Donovan gives off his last order.

“All right guys, once you reach Moonridge, I want you to head straight to Dragonfang Inn and find Viamat. He’ll tell you what to do. And, as official, I will give the original mission message to Vincent. He’ll be in charge of you guys. All right, summon your dragons and head off.”

Everyone grabbed their amulets and called on their dragons. The small dragons transformed into titan-sized lizards with wings. And that is before my eyes. Vincent didn’t bring his dragon along when he arrived at the inn, so he instead called his dragon from his room. While the baby dragon to him, the others left already. Once it got there, it transformed into a grayish-brown dragons with bird wings. I suspected that it was a wind dragon.

“Need a ride?” Vincent asked while on dragonback. I jumped on back with my things on my back. Soon, we were already on air and out of Dragonsgrasp. While on air, I was startled by a figure over the east. It was shaped like a castle. In the sky? When I asked Vincent about this, he gave no appropriate response.

“Oh, that’s…that’s something I don’t see. Maybe you’re hallucinating. It’s all in your head. I swear the mages said there won’t any side-effect when newcomers go airborne. Maybe you wanna eat. Don’t worry, by an hour, we’re approaching land.”

I didn’t follow him, but kept staring to the figure until it was no longer visible. Until then, it was a long trip. In no time, the sun was already high but we haven’t arrived in Doomwood yet. Last time I checked, Dragonsgrasp is just above the sea. Until now, it’s still at sea but I can see a tower over the coast. Could it be the famous town of Falconreach? I hope so.

In a matter of minutes, we finally arrive at Falconreach. The other Dragonlords welcomed us. They told us some adventurers has spotted Moonridge with the aid of the Dragonlords but were not enough. So, I guess it wasn’t just Dragonsgrasp who was helping. We stopped by to check our supplies, buy some new gear and grabbed some food. We couldn’t eat on dragonback, we really get sick.

An hour later, we took flight once more and headed south to get to Moonridge. The sun is now on the western side. It was already afternoon. But this time, it was Vincent’s dragon who was heading the group. He says it’ll take three hours to get to Moonridge. I had nothing to do but to stare to where we were heading, the dragons, the skies and the ground. Next thing you know, I could sleep boredom off. But I didn’t. Below us are trees and that is definitely the sign we are near Doomwood. Or maybe we already are.

“Nope, this ain’t Doomwood yet. What you see is just Oaklore forest. That over there, those dark green trees over there IS Doomwood.” Vincent points out the dark, mountainous region at the south. It must have meant we are near to our destination.

Some time later, almost near to the dark region, Vincent asked an intolerable question. “Now, just to remind you. This is Doomwood. Home of the necromancers, death knights, silly undead and lawmakers. You must be well-prepared when arriving this region because this is one sick place where trouble knows no rest. Did you bring a light weapon with you?”

“Well, yeah. I always come prepared. Father used to tell me what I should do, bring and know when it comes to knowledge about Lore. I must also know that there is also a paladin residing in Doomwood, who never stops exorcising the undead 24/7 and makes cheesy puns while battling which makes the undead go crazy. Yeah, I’ve been there, Vincent.” I bragged what I knew, just to tell him that I can care for myself.

“No, you haven’t BEEN there. You’re always grounded at home, right? And thus, you staying at home, training all day and arriving at Dragonsgrasp to continue learning but never you were given assignments. Which, of course, states you haven’t been to Doomwood before.” Vincent began talking like a mad scientist who owned the nitroglycerin catapult.

“Point taken. Are we there yet?” While asking him, Vincent stared at one point of the forest, never knew what it was until he stroke a command.

“Alright guys, time to land all your explosives. It would be a signal of our arrival.” Vincent readies a bomb to be dropped by the dragon. Soon, the Dragonriders began to ready bombs, too.

“You know, this isn’t smart to do. There are people down there.” I tried to be wise enough to stop what they’ll be doing but I was overruled by Vincent.

“This IS Doomwood. People would be smart if they stayed indoors when it comes to infinite threats. Besides, if people would be hit, they’d be adventurers. And eventually, they would learn how to dodge.”

Soon, I heard explosions below us and shrieks of the crying undead. So, there were roaming undead in Doomwood. On our way to Moonridge was like a firework display. The only difference was the fireworks are set to explode on the ground with a bunch of dead creatures being set on fire.

After minutes of watching of booms and ka-dizzles, I finally saw a watch tower. Yes, a town at last.

“Hmm, looks like Moonridge made themselves a watch tower.” Vincent surprisingly whispered to himself.

“Wait, you mean to tell me that Moonridge had no watch towers?”
“Then what would be the reason why we defended Moonridge two years ago?”

I’ve sensed that Vincent has turned his serious side. Maybe he was on the mood on this assignment. And so, I became serious on what we were facing since Friday the 13th is coming closer. We soon landed at the town center with the defenders and some Dragonlords welcoming us while I noticed some of the villagers had faces of annoyance.

< Message edited by steel blade -- 11/26/2011 13:00:38 >
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
5/4/2011 8:54:49   
steel blade

Chapter 3: Enigmatic Moonridge

“Ahh, Dragonlords of Dragonsgrasp, welcome to the humble town of Moonridge!” The greeting of the mayor, going outside of his house.

“We are very honored, Mayor Dolan. And we’re ready to beat the undead from above once more.” The proud Vincent returns to the attitude he was back at Dragonsgrasp.

“Oh, Vincent, is that you? It’s been two years since your last bombing mission.”
“What can I say? I just love to bomb from the skies. And guess what, I’m ready to do it again.”
“Ahh, that’s the spirit. Keep it up, Vincent.”
“Oh, I got a message from Viamat. Also, it was mentioned he is in DragonFang Inn.”
“The inn is over there, walk by north, passing the guard tower and the shops.”
“Thank you very much, Mayor Dolan. And to offer our gratitude towards this town, safety upon your sleep will be the only gift we could offer.”

We marched on towards the inn. Hearing a few whispers, I began to become glum around my surroundings. Nearing the inn, I witnessed a mansion over the woods. Looking so suspicious, I tried to approach it but I couldn’t. I had the feeling of fear and nervousness.

“Hey, you comin’ or what?” The invitation of Vincent to come inside the inn which apparently I cannot refuse.

Inside the inn were villagers and defenders sitting on their places. The other Dragonlords sat on the tables as they wait for an end to Vincent and the innkeeper’s conversation.

“So, where are the Dragonlords, little girl?”
“They’re upstairs, mister. Why, do you have something with them, mister?”
“Yes, and that would be the security of these homes. In fact, I myself AM a Dragonlord.”

The shock and awe of the innkeeper made the conversation long, so we had to wait. Because of the conversation becoming too long, I ordered a drink from the innkeeper. She gladly did and never noticed we were bored. As I sat back, I began to think about the mansion I saw before. The eerie feeling of its surroundings, the dark color, the creepy winds…it just gives you goosebumps. I began to snap out of it when Vincent clapped his hands twice.

“Alright guys, let’s head upstairs.”

Upstairs was the area where Dragonlords get their assignments. Merchants can be seen though, but like, wow. I guess Moonridge did need help. Some of the Dragonlords checked on the gears the merchants are selling while some of us headed to Viamat’s room.

“Well, well, well, it seems that Dragonsgrasp has received my request of aid.” The words of Viamat which welcomed us to his room were heard to all of us.

“Here, I’m giving it back to you.” Vincent handed over the message Viamat sent.
“Now, as for our assignments…”

“Don’t worry, Vincent, it’s only two things you have to do. Patrolling or bombing.”
“Bombing, you say?”

The others have picked their decisions while I was still thinking of visiting the mansion to give a little check.

“Hey, what’d you pick?” Vincent asked me about which assignment I would like to commence.

“Well…since everyone’s going to be busy, I’ll be going too. I was planning of roaming around but, you know, duty calls. I’m going to patrol since I got no dragon to ride on.” My answer, given to Vincent, and soon receiving the assignment from Viamat.

“Hmm, I do miss bombing the undead, but I just did that a while ago. Say, let’s team up with this patrol, hmm?” Vincent invited me with a smile like he’s back on the mood.

“Very well. Currently, we’re finding a dangerous tree—a Deadwood, actually—which can be a threat to Moonridge for, you know, it can disguise and stuff. So, assignment is, destroy this Deadwood before it spawns more undead plants.”

Soon, we were on our way, the deep of the Doomwood. Finding almost no undead nor slime, Vincent sat after long minutes of walking around. He unsheathed his blade, picked up fine stone and sharpened his weapon.

“Aren’t you a little overconfident right now? Sitting in the middle of danger? You, in your ranks, are supposed to be on your guard right now, not sitting like a tired adventurer who just brought a packful of resources.” Vincent sheathed his sword on his back but still sitting while giving him a serious lecture.

“Y’know what, relax for a little bit. And you know, in a rank I’m in, ranks like this laugh in the face of danger. Besides, it’s been a long walk from Moonridge. It would’ve been better if I was on dragonback, blasting those skeletons bone by bone right now.” Vincent complained while giving myself a sigh of regret.

“You shouldn’t have accompanied me then.” After that, a howl was heard. Vincent, quickly stood and unsheathed his blade slowly in a battle-ready stance while I held the handle low with the blade pointing at sky as I drew my weapon close my chest. I knew it already was a sign of a monster near—specifically, undead. It’s either werewolves or undead who make the howling sounds.

“Stay close, Laura. Undead, in this place, are far from numbskulls.” A cautious Vincent warned me. He then slowly walked towards where the howl came from while I followed him with my sword up. We then saw an undead with a spear running towards Vincent. He gripped his sword tightly and took an upward swing, hurling the undead in the air and crashes down with its parts disassembled.

“They’ve attacked us. Now we take the offensive!” Vincent charges towards the direction where the undead came from. I had no reason to stop him so I followed him. The time I arrived to where he is, a skull rolled in front of me. I looked at the ground as it ends to roll and looked back at Vincent, slashing hordes of living skeletons.

“Don’t worry, Laura. I’ve saved some for you.” He told me while he was busy slashing until the Deadwood we were finding gave a strong swing behind Vincent that hurled him to a tree. I rushed to him to see if he’s okay. “Don’t mind me, slay that thing!” he says. Without hesitation, I turned back and threw a dagger to the walking tree to provoke it. Once the dagger pierced its trunk, the Deadwood gave a shear cry and tried to approach me.

I rushed to it to make a clash until it lowered its branch-arms into the ground somehow elongating its smaller branches into some roots I had to attack it in the air. So, I jumped over the attempted trap and readied my blade for a strong slash. Again, I was open for attacks that it gave a strong swing from its left branch. I was hit and was sent off through the air. Luckily, I flipped back to regain my balance and landed on my feet and weapon, crouching. I stood up as Vincent came to me. “Alright, here’s the plan. You’ll have to trust me though…” I listened to him and agreed. I charged in to provoke the dead tree. The tree tossed a white-colored twig-like material to me. I kept charging then suddenly I finally heard Vincent’s signal. “Duck!” I rolled over as Vincent jumps to create the dragonhead-shaped fire attack. In a right timing, the fire attack was right above my head, burning whatever the tree thrown. After I rolled, and perfectly on timing the fire attack is now in front of me, I jumped immediately to initiate a surprise attack. The fire attack staggered the tree senseless as I struck the final blow in mid-air.

I landed right behind it, kneeling. I jumped and turned around to see its demise. It was cut into half. I walked to Vincent to help him up after landing on a wrong position. “Guess we did it.” He panted in relief and snagged one of the remains of the dead deadwood.

“We have everything we have. Let us go back.” Vincent walks away from the scene. I took another look at the defeated monster to make sure it was done for good until I heard a rustle in the bushes. I wasn’t so sure what that was so I tried to approach the bush but Vincent interfered.

“Hey, are you coming or what?”
“No, no…I thought I heard something…”
“It’s all in your head. You’re just tired, that’s all. Now come on, you’ll have a lot of time sightseeing in Moonridge.”

What I did was neglected the noise…but it didn’t waver away from my mind.

“Ahh, I knew I could count on you, Vince. I see that your partner in crime did most excellent in her quite performance.” Viamat compliments of a job well done and soon was giving gold stubs. Now thinking what I should spend with gold I earned, the rustling sound interfered in my brainstorming. As I sit on chair in the inn, a young man began saying strange words.

“Moonridge is a pretty strange place for a new Dragonlord around here. Whatever you see might be neither true nor false.” I turned around and faced him in a confused manner. “What are you talking about?”

“If you haven’t noticed yet, strange things show up in the area. To tell you the truth, these things are new. None of them are old nor recurring.”
“Really? So you mean the rustles I’ve heard are all news?”
“I’ve been hearing rustles recently as well. It seems they’re driving off the wanderers with their reasons of ‘creepiness’.”
“How ‘bout the mansion? It seemed a little suspicious. Has it been there ever since?”
“I don’t know either. My family moved here after the hordes of undead was driven away.”
“I gotta check that mansion somehow. Besides, I’m off-duty.”
‘Tell ya what, I’ll be your tour guide for the day.”
“Sounds like deal. Name’s Laura.”
“Maximus Deatrey. People call me Max.”

Soon, we headed out to near outskirts in search of suspicious sounds and appearances. Last destination was nothing more but the front of the mansion. Its suspicious appearance raised questions in my head.

“Hey, do you know who owns this place?” I asked Max while looking out on its environment. “I don’t know. What I only know is rumors of an unknown source and no confirmations. This is only what I heard: they say the owner is a necromancer whose lair is just under the basement. Others say they’ve heard noises from the inside, such as roars, screeches and howls. One thing else, others say a red girl is seen inside. None knows if all rumors are true and the sayings just go on and on. But, everyone knows that the truth only lies inside that dreaded house…and that truth could only answer the questions of this enigmatic town…”

A rustle in the bushes killed the moment which made me raise my blade to counter any ambush, “Stay behind me, Max.” He instead turns back on me and holds up a staff, deciding he will fight for himself. “Don’t worry, I’ve tricks up in my sleeve as well.” Knowing that the rustle could be a sign of ambush, I decided to approach the bush to see who the mysterious crawler of the woods is. In time I’ve came near, there was nothing in sight. The next thing I hear was Vincent, running to our direction, telling me about something.

“Laura, you gotta get inside the town area and nothing out. I fear tonight the undead will rampage through since tomorrow is Friday the 13th. Your duty will be tomorrow. As for me, I’m going to bomb them off. Now, tell the residents the same thing I told you, you hear?” Afterwards, I turned to Max and nodded and turned back to Vincent. “Very well, your orders will not be disobeyed.”

As I run back to the town proper with Max, I noticed something in the bushes—yellow eyes in the dark. As soon as they faded, I knew something was going on. As I lay down my bed that night, I know I will never rest until I know what the heck is going on.

< Message edited by steel blade -- 11/26/2011 13:03:05 >
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) A Dragonlord's Departure: The Infected Soul
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition