Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Overpowered and Balanced

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Overpowered and Balanced
Page 1 of 612345>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/11/2011 4:19:07   
Wiseman

I have been reading some threads in the general discussion lately, and I started to wonder, do players really understand what is really overpowered. More importantly do they understand what balancing the game will truly do.

First off, if a class or build defeats you in battle...its not overpowered, it means your weak to that build and you should probably rethink your build to counter that build. I see a lot of people claim a build or class is overpowered just because they lost to them a few times, however they don't look at the big picture. Each build has a weakness, and each build has strengths, nobody will win every battle, winning constantly is a dream that will never be realized. Complaining about builds and saying they are overpowered because you lose to them does not mean you will win every battle if that build gets nerfed, it just means new builds will emerge that you will also lose to.

Its a vicious cycle, one build gets nerfed, and it creates a chance for a new build to emerge, which in turn gets nerfed and then another build will emerge, etc. Now I'm not saying there aren't true overpowered builds waiting to be found, but what I am saying is that many players don't seem to understand what makes a build overpowered.

There are two types of players in this game, players that want fast wins to move up the boards (competitive players), and players that want long battles that they can remember (strategic players).

In a game where those two player-groups are always at odds at what they consider to be fun, you cant satisfy both sides at the same time.

On top of that, there are three classes, and each class wants to be the best and wants to see the other two classes fall. You can't satisfy all three classes at once, if you nerf one class then that class will begin to complain bout the new "overpowered" class.

What does that mean? It means that no matter what, someone is gonna be happy and someone is gonna be upset each time a change is made.

Now how do you tell if a build is truly overpowered. First off you must look at the boards and see the builds average percent and speeds. If a build consistently gets a high percent or wins extremely fast, then maybe its overpowered. However that's not always the case, a lot of the time it really depends on the player base and which builds are popular at the time.

There are three types of builds that I personally would consider overpowered.

1. If a build can get over 95% without any NPC fights consistently then it is overpowered. Keep in mind there are players that will be able to do this no matter what build they use, but in most cases it requires NPCs.

Two good examples of this is Heal Loop Mages and +5 Focus Tank Mercs.

Heal Loop Mages lead to the creation of agility and +5 Focus Tank Mercs is what lead the the removal of the focus damage bonus. Both build types consistently obtained 95-100% without any NPC fights, meaning they where both truly overpowered.

2. If a build can obtain 50-60 wins an hour via simple two turn combos then that build is overpowered. This kind of speed is unfair to the other classes and/or builds that cannot reach these speeds, meaning that you would actually need this type of build to win daily 1v1.

Two good examples of this are Stun Zerk Mercs and the Original Support Merc.

Stun Zerk Merc are the main reason the developers have created diminishing returns and Support Mercs where why developers made both the artillery strike requirements and focus. Both builds where able to 2 turn most players or in the worst case 4 turn with some strategy. They where also capable of 2-3 turning NPCs.

3. The last type is what I call a hybrid overpowered build. They are capable of good speeds (45-55 wins an hour) and high percents (90-95 percent without NPC battles). These types of build may not be able to beat type 2 in speed or type 1 in percent, but it has enough of both to be considered overpowered.

The perfect example of this would be High Strength Smoke/Mass Bounties that resulted in the passive skills (shadow arts and Blood lust) receiving requirements. I believe deadly aim also received a requirement as well (I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm sure there was a reason).

If a build is obviously overpowered then eventually players will begin to hop classes in order to use that build. This results in a massive imbalance in class ratio, and in turn usually means that the build in question will receive a nerf or change of some type.

Basically when people begin to hop classes to be a specific build, then a nerf will soon follow. It happens every time, and will continue to happen until the classes gain an even population and stay that way.

Your question might be (then why did the developers make class change). Good question, and the answer is simple, its what the players wanted and as one of the most wanted features, the developers released it.

Now personally I love class changing when I get bored of one class, when you have as many wins as me, fighting becomes extremely repetitive and sometimes you just need to change it up a little. However I dislike how many players abuse the feature to jump classes every time a new overpowered build is discovered. Then again if that didn't happen, a lot of the overpowered builds would have never became popular, and in turn would have never been nerfed.

Now that you know what is truly considered overpowered and what isn't I'll explain what would happen if true balance was achieved in Epic Duel.

Everyone would be equal, equal in speed, and equal in percent. The only thing that would give you and edge is weapons and armor. This being said everyone's percents would even out to about 80-85%, non varium players would average about 10% below that. If someone where to NPC every hour then their % would range about 88-93. And of course players that only fight NPCs would have bout 95-100% as usual.

All classes would have builds that can reach the highest speeds, which would be roughly 35-42 wins an hour with NPCs.

Simply put, balance means that things will change, and when that change comes people wont be happy. Why? Because the populace dislikes change, and suffer from something called "They changed it now it sucks". This is when the players will either complain or adapt, however either way the change will come, if you want balance its a sacrifice you have to make.

So the real questions is, will you be one of the ones that adapt and improve the situation, or will you be one of the ones that fight against it and complain. The choice is yours, and neither is good or bad, people that adapt will help new players get used to the changes, and the ones that complain will in some cases cause the changes to change again (sometimes for the better).

Just keep in mind when you complain, that unless you give valid reasons and statistics to support your point, you will not be heard. If you just say "this sucks" then it wont change anything, if you have a complaint, make it constructive.

And of course discussions are welcome, as this is a discussion forum. However this thread is not about any particular class or build, its about how to tell when something is truly overpowered, and about the essence of balance.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps players to understand what is truly overpowered and what true balance will be like.

< Message edited by Wiseman -- 4/11/2011 4:25:31 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
4/11/2011 4:20:52   
jegaggin

i believe most people get beaten they blame the opponent not themselves. Maybe its the person who needs to improve their build. For the update ADAPT ADAPT not just complain. Its true I did complain at the start but when i cooled down I adapted and changed my build! and if people get 80-85% who gets all the losses? Also i dont believe something is OP if it gets 90% its because someone has actual thought a strategy.

< Message edited by jegaggin -- 4/11/2011 4:29:09 >

AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
4/11/2011 4:37:30   
Wiseman

Against players of your level and equipment and skill you would win 50% of the time, but you must factor in lower levels and non variums. I'm speaking in general terms of higher level players specifically levels 31-33.

< Message edited by Wiseman -- 4/11/2011 4:38:08 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
4/11/2011 4:40:08   
jegaggin

that would never happen because some players are just more skilled then others.
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
4/11/2011 4:43:33   
Wiseman

That is true, which is one of the reasons I gave a general range of 80-85 percent. That number may not be the true number if balance was to be achieved, however the point is, everyone would have near equal percents if they don't fight any NPCs. Of course luck also plays a big part in the numbers as well, it doesn't matter how skilled you are, if you get unlucky, you will lose.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
4/11/2011 4:45:34   
Soliqe

Well said, I'm glad someone with a bigger voice in the community finally spoke out.

AQW Epic  Post #: 6
4/11/2011 4:51:28   
jegaggin

At least there isnt any insulting in the discussion. I do remmeber the frustration i had when i was non varium merc. Thank god i wasn't a non var when they introduced Shadow Arts ( i had a str double strike and then beserker build). I do wish that non vars had more chance.

< Message edited by jegaggin -- 4/11/2011 5:08:17 >
AQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
4/11/2011 5:05:27   
RAB

I couldn't agree more with this post, maybe this will open some peoples eyes. It's not about winning (which it seems is all people care about), its all about fairness for everyone ^_^
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 8
4/11/2011 5:18:50   
goldslayer1

quote:

Everyone would be equal, equal in speed, and equal in percent. The only thing that would give you and edge is weapons and armor. This being said everyone's percents would even out to about 80-85%, non varium players would average about 10% below that. If someone where to NPC every hour then their % would range about 88-93. And of course players that only fight NPCs would have bout 95-100% as usual.

i agree with everything except this part
if i were to fight the same person 10 times and win 7 and loose 3
i would have 70% the other person would have 30%
unless they NPC i dont see how everyone can be 85%
still however good post.
AQW Epic  Post #: 9
4/11/2011 10:07:32   
IsaiahtheMage

@Wiseman You are perfectly right. I 1000% agree and finally understand what Oped is and what it is not I am a Tank Merc and I have in the 40s of Res and Def and a STR Merc two hit me. So for sure they are Oped.
AQW Epic  Post #: 10
4/11/2011 11:06:53   
  Digital X

Beep Beep! ArchKnight AQ / ED

quote:

Stun Zerk Merc are the main reason the developers have created diminishing returns and Support Mercs where why developers made both the artillery strike requirements and focus. Both builds where able to 2 turn most players or in the worst case 4 turn with some strategy. They where also capable of 2-3 turning NPCs.

Hit the nail on the head there. The "Stun Zerk" Combo (if it's called that?) was the issue i was facing with them, if they happened to miss the stun, i had a slight chance of winning as they still could Zerk and deal still decent damage even with my def/res. But the Focus update has helped greatly with that and i am seeing a noticeable decrease in damage when it happens.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
4/11/2011 12:03:00   
PumKing

you know, i never really thought of the logistics of what would technically would be defined as oped, thanks for the info (love info makes you smarter :D ), will do best to keep an opener mind from now on

Carpe Dium--grab a carp, slap him around XD
Epic  Post #: 12
4/11/2011 12:29:20   
voidance

Not gonna read all that but im answer from what little bit i did read.

Well its easy to tell that Support is the new stat to abuse.
AQW Epic  Post #: 13
4/11/2011 13:00:47   
TurkishIncubus

I think game is balanced now i dont see any Oped build but time will show that :) and STR Mercs still Strong they only lose Speed but they still do 2 hit kills :S

And the unfair thing is while BH and Mercs get small nerfs , Mage's healloop nerfed heavy and almost eraised completely :S which make Mages seem Uped

< Message edited by TurkishIncubus -- 4/11/2011 13:03:04 >

Epic  Post #: 14
4/11/2011 13:55:23   
Deadly PoisoN
Banned!

This is a wonderful thread,and anyone can learn from the topic,but the first part goes without saying.Atm i find the toughest opponents are those tank mercs with gamma bot+bunker and aux.With them it's not a case of being too weak,they just have too many advantages that have nothing to do with getting lucky,such as blocks which is a bountie's best friend.Their defense is basically flawless and then they have a defense ignoring attack straight off the mark that can crit,even without the crit it's a good source for consistent damage that cannot be blocked or deflected.God help you if you don't block their gamma bot or deflect their aux.

It basically boils down to either getting lucky or they pwn you if you didn't have extreme luck or better yet,if you yourself are a tech merc.Not even str mercs are as bad as them,my only flaw against str mercs is my strategy,iv'e found a new way of beating them very consistently and will probably build change tomorrow,after that i'm sure i'll cut them down at the knees quite easily.But tech mercs...I beat one today by getting a critted aux on him and a block,but how many times do the odds favour you in comparison to their definite str's?Mathematically they rely on stats and their skills compliment those stats way too well,it's the bases they have covered in comparison to yourself.

< Message edited by Deadly PoisoN -- 4/11/2011 13:57:34 >
AQ Epic  Post #: 15
4/11/2011 15:02:09   
TurkishIncubus

I agree Wiseman with most parts but

quote:

Now how do you tell if a build is truly overpowered. First off you must look at the boards and see the builds average percent and speeds. If a build consistently gets a high percent or wins extremely fast, then maybe its overpowered.

i dont agree this , for me to tell a build is oped

"1st If the build can be powerfull with different weapon alternatives that makes the build OPED" Lets explain this :P

Example 1 Healloop : When all mages do healloop there is different healloop build and all of them has almost same win rate

While best playes using (Rixty , Overlord Blaster ,energy Bunny ,Founder Armor) and got +%98 win rate , i was using (Imperial Battle Axe , Overlord Blaster , Beta Zooka , Necro Mage) and got +%96 win rate

This made the healloop oped build , ppl can do the healloop build with different , weak and easy to find weapons.

Example 2 STR Merc : (I will give this example short) Some Str mercs use (Cyber Maul , Boomstick , Bunny zooka , Founder) , the others who dont have those weps use (Absorbed Scream , boomstick , Beta or dfferent and Warbot or Space warrior)

And these build almost has the same speed.Which Makes it OPED

"2nd If the build can work with different weapon types it is OPED"

Example 1 Healloop : In healloop While some mages using Energy aux , some of them Use Physical but two different builds have almost same win rate

Example 2 STR Merc : While some Mercs Using Energy Primary the others can use Physical but their speed will be same

Now Lets Come to the build That Is not Oped for my Idea STR BH

Because , Str Hunters depend on 2 weapon which is Frostbite and Frostbolt , if a Hunter do Str build and dont use Frostbite and Frostbolt he cant do high % and fast kills (this will make my 1st idea true )

And If a Str Hunter use Energy Primary still he cant get fast kills and good Rate which prove my 2nd idea

So Conclusion The build can has Fast wins and High rate but If a Build depend on Unique weapons and weapon type that build can be strong but not Oped because other ppl who dont has that weapons cant do that build , This Makes the build Unique and hard to reach it and the build will be the product of creativity

< Message edited by TurkishIncubus -- 4/11/2011 15:08:36 >
Epic  Post #: 16
4/11/2011 15:31:06   
InceptionAE

What you have said is true. But it may not be the build, it may be the strategy players are using. I mean if you look at the STR Mercenaries before this update, it wasnt really skill or strategy. Maul and berserker is not much of a strategy, and people have said that STR Mercenaries can only get a 75-85% win ratio. Well it means there are people out there that have a STRATEGY to defeat them. Again it may not be the build, otherwise what you have said is True.

-Peace! =D

ED~ Inception X
HS~ Chromium
AQW~ Deathblad
AQ3D~ Violent

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 17
4/11/2011 16:14:24   
goldslayer1

quote:

What you have said is true. But it may not be the build, it may be the strategy players are using. I mean if you look at the STR Mercenaries before this update, it wasnt really skill or strategy. Maul and berserker is not much of a strategy, and people have said that STR Mercenaries can only get a 75-85% win ratio. Well it means there are people out there that have a STRATEGY to defeat them. Again it may not be the build, otherwise what you have said is True.

some str merc do play with strategy.
thats why some can get 90% at the most and with npcs.

if u ask anyone who put themselves in the shoes of a strength merc.
U WIN ALOT BUT U LOOSE ALOT ASWELL.
we loose as fast as we can win.
u ever got 2 turned by a lvl 31 mage?
AQW Epic  Post #: 18
4/11/2011 16:22:15   
Wiseman

^ I've been two turned by a level 27 mage as a strength merc before lol (darn plasma bolt high tech builds). xP

@ TurkishIncubus

I agree with you for the most part. To successfully pull off strength bounty now you do need specific weapons, however...before the nerf you could have max Bloodlust, max Shadow Arts AND 125 health. This meant that those bounties could effectively negate agility and block even with lower dex (since smoke lowers connect chance). Before the nerf players could use a wide combo of weapons and successfully use that build, and get high win speed and high percent with it.

< Message edited by Wiseman -- 4/11/2011 16:58:31 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 19
4/11/2011 16:24:51   
InceptionAE

@ Goldslayer

I haven't been two turned by a mage. So I don't know how that's like.

@Wiseman

If it lowers the connect, wouldnt that mean that the Celtic Cleaver is basically useless? To some bounties I mean.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
4/11/2011 16:27:27   
goldslayer1

@dungeon
it also increase the BH chance of blocking u because u have less dex.
and getting 2 turned by a mage is like
they malf u, and next turn the plasma bolt with 60 damage (unblockable btw) and since they have high tech to back up plasma bolt damage they most likely are resistance tank therefor making energy weps useless against hybrid caster mages.
AQW Epic  Post #: 21
4/11/2011 16:37:28   
Wiseman

Yup that was the best build to counter strength mercs, (still is most likely), in fact since the majority of the player base was becoming strength merc, I intended to change to high tech plasma bolt mage so I could beat them in 2 shots and win more. xD

(that's changed with the new release though, cause everyone is started to change builds/class)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
4/11/2011 16:43:28   
goldslayer1

@wise
it may actually work against BH too
if ur varium, with energy eggzooka
and u try a caster hybrid with max plasma bolt. against a 125 hp BH
u malf, aux, gun, plasma bolt
and its easier for them because its unblockable aside from the malf however the malf effect takes place blocked or not.
and since the Bh has low support the chance of them deflecting is pretty low (altho also happens more than its suppose to)
i already pictured a few builds for every class.
im just waiting for lvl 33 so i can class change

< Message edited by goldslayer1 -- 4/11/2011 16:44:44 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 23
4/11/2011 16:59:44   
TurkishIncubus

@Wiseman

Passive reqs is fine , i said my previous post because Fast wins and High win rate doesnt always sign of an build is Oped , i got hourly 40 wins and got +%90 win rate but my power is not come from build it comes from Weapons.

Any way Nice Thread to instruct ppl
Epic  Post #: 24
4/11/2011 17:18:35   
Elf Priest JZaanu
Constructive!

The original post on this thread is quite meaningful and is total understood.

When a faction is full of players who use a quick BPH (battles per hour), it alters the game in regard to quality of play. Only reason these builds are created for competition in this game is for high faction totals. Is this really balanced?

Hopefully the developers introduce a quality leaders board for players who focus on strategic play as well. There are many fantastic players who choose or not able to spend long hours during in-game.

Once this is established, there will be a balance in the game.

Deal with Class Change and it will force players to think in true build adjustment.

Here is an example:

Single Players (Win Count)
Daily win total board
Weekly win total Board
Monthly win total Board
Annual win total Board

Single Players (Quality Count)
Daily quality total board
Weekly quality total Board
Monthly quality total Board
Annual Quality total Board

Factions (Win Count)
Daily win total board
Weekly win total Board
Monthly win total Board
Annual win total Board

Factions (Quality Count)

Affiliation (Win Count)
Daily win total board
Weekly win total Board
Monthly win total Board
Annual win total Board

Affiliation (Quality Count)

All-time (win Count)
Single
Faction

All-time (Quality Count)
Single
Faction

By adding both features, a faction can decide how to handle their duties. It can cater to long term and short term. Less faction disbandments and more opportunities for less popular factions to build a foundation and compete with the more well known factions.

< Message edited by JZaanu -- 4/11/2011 17:43:09 >
AQW Epic  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Overpowered and Balanced
Page 1 of 612345>»
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition