Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

I, Imagination.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> I, Imagination.
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/20/2011 15:04:56   
Helixi

A short story I did for my English Language coursework. I hope you all enjoy it. (:

I, Imagination.

I, Imagination, pondered my existence absently. The verdant green of my despised island dropped into sheer nothingness. I had peered fearfully over that edge; there was nothing, no way to get out, only the never ending, raging purple storm. It was beautiful and terrifying. Other than the tiny grey hut on my island, my ever sweet stream and my garden, what had become my world was barren. This was my physical prison; it was bearable, even beautiful, in some ways. What was killing me was the choking sense of loneliness.
She had put me here. She had forbidden me from exercising my power. She had punished me for my insubordination.

Replaying those events over and over in my head would do me no good. I sighed and rolled over. What I actually did was rearrange the custard-like substance that is my essence, but that’s by the by.

Sometimes I wondered. Did people miss me? What did they do when they had no thoughts of their own? I pictured the men, women and children of my world, grey faced, slavishly following the same route to work every day, never deviating from their route… I broke off from that train of thought abruptly, impotent rage quickening my heart.

This is my life, dear reader, pointlessly changing from one form to the next, unable to project my consciousness into my own world, trapped by purple storms. I suppose you must be wondering why I, Imagination, am imprisoned here. Well, I shall tell you …

A long time ago, when I was young, I knew another such as myself. She was my older sister, formed by the dying stars before they made me. She was created first. She was more powerful. She was Lilith.
We were immortal and powerful. Though we knew humans and walked among them, we lived apart. Lilith and I were elevated to the status of deity by humans; I suppose we were, in some senses. She and I ruled together harmoniously for centuries, but Lilith began to desire more. She started to demand tribute. Our lives, which had been so closely intertwined, began to grow apart. I, Imagination, traversed swathes of wilderness in search of new knowledge. Meanwhile, my sister expanded her influence, flourishing like weeds in an untended garden. Humans began to live in terror of Lilith as she demanded more and more from them. If they resisted, She crushed their free thought; they all became drone-like. When I heard stories of this ill-treatment, I realised what I feared about Lilith was true. She was strengthened by the abject fear of the people. She held their lives in her hand, and nothing delighted her more than cruelly toying with them.

Upon my return from the wilderness, I was received well enough. The people looked happy; I sensed nothing seriously amiss. However, the disturbing current of unease I could not pin down set me on edge slightly. I put it to one side and forced myself to enjoy the welcome home celebration. People had gathered in the streets, cheering me with an almost forced and frenzied fervour.
My sister greeted me with detachment. She looked like a human princess, draped in spidery gold filigree and festooned with glass beads. Her dress shimmered silver and clung to her like oiled silk. My sister looked alien, and heart wrenchingly beautiful. I was conscious of my guise as a dark human traveller, emaciated and filth encrusted.

Where she lived was also stunning. White marble arches soared high into the clouds as we stood on top of the world.

“Lilith, it is good to see you again.” The formal words felt clumsy in my mouth and my tongue stumbled over them. A hot flush ignited my cheeks.

“I feel the same, Ima.” Lilith sounded distant, almost bored. She stared away into the middle distance, one hand on her hip, the other clutching a golden wine glass to her chest.

After a few minutes of a roaring silence, I dared ask. “Why are the humans like that?”

“Like what?” She shot me a narrow glare.

I gestured, searching for the words. “Why are they so… lifeless? They don’t think…”

“I did that,” Lilith smiled, her cloying, almost insufferable smugness clear. “They owe their lives to us. We gave them life; we can take it away…” Her words hung in the air.

“They have no imagination, no spark!” My horror at her actions was clear. So too was my terror. I believed, and still do, that humans' imaginations gave me my power as I fuelled them in an endless cycle of symbiosis. To my mind, that is the reason I am so weak in this Void.

“Indeed. They exist, purely to better my - our - lives.” I was stunned. My mind reeled away from this stark confession, not wanting to believe it. Why?

The thought went unspoken as I watched her smug pout disappear, to be replaced by a childish scowl. My horror turned to disgust and I turned away in fury. She had betrayed everything we had built for humans. My heart cracked in half as I walked away from her, my feet like lead. Lilith was standing in place of the Sun as I set my face squarely to the human night.

There you have it, reader. Those were the events that led me to be encaged here while Lilith reworks the world in her image. I hope this message finds you well, and that it will persuade you to struggle against Lilith with all your heart. Farewell.

< Message edited by Helixi -- 2/25/2012 12:15:31 >
AQ DF  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> I, Imagination.
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition