Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) Times and Tales of Dalarai Delrix

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) Times and Tales of Dalarai Delrix
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/28/2011 11:13:27   
.Discipline

Link to comments and criticisms here, all remarks appreciated no matter how small.

Intro

"It is almost time..." muttered a veiled necromancer as he rubbed his menacing claw-like hands together and a shrill cackle emerged from behind his cloth face-cover. It was clear from the markings on his tattered robes and his position within the ritualistic circle that he was the one orchestrating this whole twisted ordeal. "Bring in the sacrifice! Hurry up now or we'll miss our chance!" he ordered the other shady figures around him as they dragged a bloodied, screaming pregnant woman into the spot marked with a purple star.

"Now ready the tethers! Spread the mummy-dust and begin the incantations. If any of you mess this up I will not be merciful." the veiled leader screeched out as the others followed his every command, tethering the woman to the spot so she could not escape and taping her mouth shut so her screams could not be heard, not that it would have mattered, this deep in the wastelands nobody would have come to her aid and even if they did, they would have been easily dispatched by the guards stationed outside of the chamber. The chalky dust began to fill the cold stone room, the moonlight glimmering through it and causing it to shimmer as the low moans of melodic chanting echoed from every wall and the magi took up position in the star where the veiled leader began to speak loudly, raising up one hand into the moonlight.

"Every spirit here tonight, dance within the circles light, expectant mother, not to be, hear what I beseech of thee." he chanted, reaching into his robes for a dagger and raising it above the woman. "Give your blood unto the floor, until your body bleeds no more, a baby laying in your husk, is now the property of Dusk." The woman's eyes widened as the dagger was plunged straight into her heart, struggling for a few seconds before laying still. A purple light filled the chamber, radiating from the wound of the woman, making the eerie moonlight seem somehow more malevolent. A beam of white moonlight shone down through the purple into the wound and the dead woman sat up to give birth to her child, onto the cold stone floor before she laid back down, dead once again. A dark laughter filled the air as the necromancer held the child in his arms.

"Bwhahahaha! It took four tries, but we have finally been successful! This child now holds the Spirit of Dusk. Send him back to the village! True havoc is about to unfold." the veiled figure ordered, in sporadic fits of maniacal laughter.

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 11/13/2011 10:02:24 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
9/28/2011 11:14:29   
.Discipline

Oros the Wise

On a day which hardly seemed peculiar at all, the villagers were sweeping up after the most recent invasion (there had been at least three within the month) and griping to each other about the need for protection. The sneevil war parties carried box after box back and forth from the junkyard to their primative cardboard fortress. On the horizon a lone grey stone tower jutted up into swirling clouds of the ever shifting azure skyline. Moss and vines from the nearby forest had begun to creep across the tower, masking the runes etched into the intricate stonework and obscuring the monument's true purpose.

Within this tower there stood two figures, the first a tall, aged man with a shaven head and a braided gray beard which fell to his waist. His eyes were of a shimmering green and he wore silvery robes which fell elegantly across his wiry frame, in his hands he held a battered tome which he kept in a metal sleeve, likely to prevent further damage to what precious knowledge was held within.

The second was shorter and much more youthful than the first, appearing to be around the age of ten, his most striking features were his pale blue skin and piercing eyes, crimson across the entire surface. Although he was human in shape these features seemed to suggest something was not quite human about the boy, he looked confused as he stood in front of a swirling pink astral gate build into the side of the tower. He wore a simple black tunic which had an awkwardly sewn hood affixed to the collar. He was thin enough that the tunic draped off him, looking quite ill-fitting as if he had planned to grow into it.

"So, child, are you aware of why you were summoned to my tower in these woods?" the silver robed man asked as he looked the boy up and down.

"No. Actually I'm quite confused. Who are you, old man? And what do you want with me?" the boy replied, seeming angered and puzzled.

"Firstly, I would request you don't refer to me as 'old man', I find that quite impersonal. My name is Oros Kalathar and I am one of the high magi under the employ of King Slugwrath. You are here because you have been seen to be practicing magic in these woods, black magic too, I believe it was. The Dark Tendrils of Lamahan." he told the boy, stroking his beard curiously and furrowing his brow.

"I can explain, you see..." the boy started before being interrupted.

"There is no need to explain, child. You have shown great promise. It is very rare that a child of your age is able to master such complex control of the mana flow. Tell me boy, who is your teacher currently?" he inquired.

"T-teacher? I don't have a teacher, unless you could count..." the boy said, stopping before he could finish his thought.

"Unless you could count WHO, boy?" Oros asked, seeming impatient.

"He calls himself Dusk." replied the boy, dragging his feet slightly.

"Dusk? Could you take me to this wizard? A tenebromancer, I would assume by the moniker, no? I wish to speak with him." Oros asked.

"Well that's the thing..." he said gingerly. "Dusk is right here. Inside my head."

Oros gasped as if in disbelief and donned his half-moon spectacles, frantically flicked through the tome in his hands until he had found a chapter entitled 'Legends of the Elemental Planes', he didn't say a word to the boy for a good three minutes while he reread a story he was already loosely familiar with, periodically marking passages of interest with a green-plumed quill.

"Egads child!" he said as he looked up from the book in front of him. "I had heard rumors. Never did I think they actually succeeded." he sighed as moved closer to inspect the boy. "Yes, yes. You show various signs of dark mana corruption ; the tainted skin, the red eyes, I assumed that it may have been temporary or you were a mixed breed of some sort. Clearly this is not the case. No wonder you have show such an aptitude. You are currently housing one of the Grand Spirits of the Darkness Elemental Plane." Oros remained calm but his eyes betrayed a great concern.

"Not to be nosy, child, but you haven't had any... other symptoms, have you?" he asked, flicking back through the book. "Such as... 'a strong urge to consume raw or living meat, the ability to innately speak languages such as undead, drowish and infernal, increased sensitivity to bright light and an aptitude for dark ma... well we already know you have THAT." he chuckled to himself.

"Well," started the boy. "I like my gorillaphant steak rare, I get horrible sunburns, I suppose. I've never talked to an undead before. We all run away when they come to the village. I heard they couldn't speak. Hehe. They just go Arrrooooooo, don't they?" the boy said, with a cheeky smile on his face.

"I'm very surprised you have managed to contain the spirit for so long without experiencing stronger side effects." Oros told him. "Very interesting. What do your parents think of 'Dusk', child?"

"I haven't really told them yet. They don't seem to care about me much since I got kicked out of school for fighting. I swear I can't even remember it!" whined the boy, rubbing his eyes.

"Hmmm... and what if I told you I could get you into a more... specialized school. Under certain provisions and restrictions, yes, but this could be done. You see, as a high mage of the king's court I have many duties, one of these is teaching at the Swordhaven Academy of Magical Studies. I could get you onto the enrollment list given your very special circumstances. Tell me boy... what is your name?" Oros asked, a glint in his eye.

"Dalarai Delrix" the boy replied.

"Well, Dalarai, I shall visit here every three days to help you practice your magic. By the time you are thirteen you should be skilled enough for a full scholarship. How very exciting." Oros chuckled to himself with glee. "I shan't take no for an answer, boy! If I don't keep an eye on you Dusk could become a very real threat, the more you grow the more his power will grow inside you... without my supervision you would need to be placed in the royal dungeons or executed and you wouldn't want that, would you?"

"No sir." Dalarai replied coyly. "I will take your offer. I've always wanted to learn real magic!" he told Oros smiling.

"Then it is settled. I shall summon you here again in three days for your next lesson. Keep practicing what you know in the meantime. Do not let my trust in you be ill-founded." the gruff old wizard said as he waved a hand and flung the boy back through the portal, taking him to a forest clearing just outside of his village.

Dazed and confused the boy stood up to find it was now night; the moonlight bathed him as a voice in his head whispered, A good choice, kid, learn magic, get more powerful, there's no use just sitting around. I'll teach you the stuff that old codger won't, you know, the FUN magic. But you know I can only talk to you at night, so you're going to have to get used to sleeping through the day. That's a plus, isn't it? You don't have to talk with all of those worthless humans. Especially not those parents of yours, they don't care about you... Not like I do. Hehehehehe.

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 11/13/2011 10:12:59 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
10/6/2011 18:54:02   
.Discipline

Discipline

Soon the training was well underway, within the tower the dull green gleam of light from the forest clearing causing a slight tint as it trickled through the arched stone windows. This tint was soon negated by a purple light which spontaneously appeared as the sound of childish laughter filled the air, quickly met and effectively ended by a stern, discontented voice.

"Discipline, boy!" Oros shouted, shaking his head and tutting as the large ball of glowing purple energy between his new apprentice's hands began to shrink away once more with a crackle and a fizzling sound. "The first thing you must note about the control of magic is discipline. Without it, basic reality is a confine that presses down harshly upon us. With clouded thoughts, through distraction or anger, we lose control. You cannot control mana if you cannot control YOURSELF. Discipline is the key."

"Discipline..." Dalarai repeated, closing his eyes and focusing hard on correcting his posture, breathing and mana flow. The ball within his hands slowly began to grow again from the tiniest spark and the heat blazed over his palms as he tried his best to ignore the pain. Opening his eyes again he focused on the forest below, aiming toward a haggard sneevil trapsing across the leaf-littered floor. Closing his palms he allowed the the energy to float away right toward the sneevil. Keeping focus he opened and closed his palm a second time, causing the pulsating orb to violently explode, leaving splattered pieces of sneevil strewn across the scorched clearing.

"Wow..." uttered Oros, almost struck speechless as Dalarai smiled sadistically and began an attempt to form another orb of power. "Stop that, child." he said, shocked at how quickly and effortlessly his new protege had mastered such a spell... he hadn't even taught him how to disappate the energy in such a destructive fashion. The boy must have more innate skills than I had originally realized he thought to himself as he led the boy outside for a quick test.

Outside the air was balmy but every so often a bitter wind would brush past, lifting the robes of the pair as a soft drizzling of rain spat around the clearing. Oros reached inside his robes, producing a carved mahogany wand, a deep blue sapphire set into the handle.

"This belonged to my previous apprentice, but he soon outgrew it." chuckled Oros with a grin. "I want you to use this and follow my lead. You can technically do this with just a fingertip, but this will help you focus the energies." he added, producing his own wand, chimera horn core coated in pure silver with an ornate shimmering orb at the tip. Beginning with a low hum, which the child quickly mimicked, he moved the wand from his hip to the furthest outstretched point above his head and almost instantly flicked it down in front of him just as the wind had caught his robes. Dalarai followed, less than a split second behind.

"Ignis Aurus Draconis!" Oros boomed, and suddenly his arm was engulfed in flames which lingered for a while before bursting out in front of him, burning away the grass.
"Ignis Aeris Draconis!" yelled Dalarai as a look of panic stuck on Oros' face. The air around him began to heat up quickly until the oxygen itself burst into a hot blue flame, covering his robes as he screamed in pain, the heat of the fire quickly engulfing his body. Suddenly the pain was gone, but the fire remained as his pure red eyes began to glow. He threw his hands forward and the flames flew from him at amazing speeds, scorching a perfect opening through the treeline in front of him, thousands of insects and birds racing hurriedly out of their woodland homes.

Oros remained silent before his jaw dropped. The child had spouted out the wrong incantation, causing the mana to become wild and unpredictable, but quickly and almost instinctively saved himself from a fiery death with masterful control.
"Tha-that's enough for today." stuttered the old mage, wiping sweat from his brow and steadying himself. Dalarai just stood there laughing wildly as he realised what he had managed to do... never did he think himself capable of that.

The night fell quickly as the dark clouds gathered that night and Dusk praised the boy for his advancement...

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 10/27/2011 19:59:33 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
10/23/2011 12:43:35   
.Discipline

The Dark Artist

Some nice work earlier, child... very destructive. I can see that I have boosted the potential in you already, this pleases me. Dusk whispered into the darkest corners of Dalarai's mind as the moonlight dappled his pale blue skin and shone from his crimson eyes. I have more to show you tonight, boy. I shan't take no for an answer. Take us to the mage's tower, I shall teach you an invaluable skill when we arrive.

Pushing through the eerie foliage as the hooting of owls and screeching of bats accented the atmosphere whilst the cold night grew more and more bitter, the child found himself in the familiar clearing where he had practiced earlier. The line of scorched tree stumps were reminiscent of his earlier lesson, but the feeling in the air was much more sinister and somehow more pleasing to him. The echoing, deep tones of Dusk's voice began to instruct him in the magical secrets of the dark realm.

First, I want you to find the spot in which that sneevil was destroyed. Close your eyes and I shall help you search for his spirit energy. he ordered. As Dalarai closed his eyes tight he could see blue wisps throughout the clearing, some looked like animals, others like warriors from times long past and one, perhaps the brightest wisp, was shaped like a haggard old sneevil. Opening his eyes Dalarai focused on the spot where the wisp had been. This energy is the freshest and will be the easiest to control. I am about to teach you how to reanimate the dead, the ancient skill of necromancy. First you must focus upon the source of the energy, find the parts to which it is connected. Now, with you mind, imagine the parts coming together, once again forming the lowly sneevil you wish to command. Dalarai remained silent, but in his eyes was a glint of focus as all over the clearing, bones began to float into the air... some charred, some with flesh still clinging to them.

Imagining the sneevil from earlier as the bones slowly hovered toward his focus point, they began to form the basic skeletal structure of the creature, floating there as a lifeless reassembled corpse. The next part is a little harder Dusk's voice permeated Dalarai's mind, almost guiding his body while instructing. You must command the spirit with your motions. Raise your open hand, focus on the bones and bind the spirit by closing your hand tight, imagining yourself squeezing it. This will give you a fully obedient minion to do your bidding. The bones began to shake as life returned to them, the sneevil growling and awaiting his new master's command.

Good work, child. Now, verbal commands are the most simple way to control an undead minion, but a more powerful mage can control the undead without so much as a whisper. Have your new minion perform a task for you. The boy was clearly very excited, a beaming smile across his pale lips as he spoke authoritatively toward the skeletal sneevil. "Sneevil! Go back to your home and bring me more sneevils to reanimate!" he ordered, grinning as the bony sneevil ran off into the dark woods, gnashing his sharp teeth together viciously. An EXCELLENT plan. You are extremely intelligent for your age, but perhaps an army would be too much for you to handle right now. Have the minion bring the bones here for later practice Dusk advised, but Dalarai was reluctant to accept such a criticism of his abilities. "I think I can take on a few little sneevils, Dusk." he sneered, as the bloodied minion returned carrying a wooden crate of bones that had been chewed clean of flesh. "Vicious little things though they might be." he chuckled to himself as he closed his eyes once again.

The crate was completely bathed in the energies of the dead, as one might expect, at least five sneevils in total. Putting all of his effort into it, Dalarai waved his hand across the crate again and again as sneevil skeletons jumped out of the box, one after the other. Dusk sounded extremely impressed at the boy's natural flair for dark magic as he cackled into Dalarai's mind. The boy now had an army of six, which he controlled all night before setting them back to rest and burying them all across the forest floor.

Every night he would return and gather more creatures to do his bidding, growing slowly more and more familiar and infatuated with his power. Dusk taught him more and more until soon, words were not required to control the dark army, they did whatever he wanted until the break of dawn, when he would stow the bones away.

Many lessons with Oros and Dusk had created a fine young mage by day and a monster by night, but soon it would be time to prove his magical prowess to the seasoned magi of The Academy, which he began to practice vigorously for. Dalarai Delrix could not wait to leave his small, dreary town behind for the hustle and bustle of The City of Swordhaven.

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 11/13/2011 10:01:26 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
11/13/2011 9:41:11   
.Discipline

Many thanks to LordKaho for the concept drawing
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
11/13/2011 13:52:56   
.Discipline

To Swordhaven!

With the sunlight dappling his black apprentice robes and the pre-packed hamper of food and spare clothes, the dawn was upon Dalarai's hometown as he silently moved out into the bitter morning, a drake-pulled cart awaiting him by the dusty road which served as the only route of travel. Without breathing a word to his friends or adoptive parents, Dalarai Delrix disappeared from his old life as a freak in a small town forever, off to begin his new life as a mage-in-training at Swordhaven's prestigious Academy of Magic.

The journey was long and the driver, wearing an old brimmed hat and fireproofed overalls in case the drake became angered, barely said a word to him apart from demanding four hundred gold coins. Luckily, Dalarai had been given two thousand coins by Oros before his departure for incidental expenses and to aid the purchase of study equipment. Opening the doors of the cart, Dalarai took a whiff of the city air, which smelt of freshly baked breads, incense and sweet meats laden with spices. Looking around he noticed many market stalls, with loud vendors attempting to peddle their wares to passing travelers.

The most brilliant sight of all was Swordhaven Castle, where King Slugwrath took up residence. The majesty of the iron gates, the high quality stonework, the archers and guards keeping watchful eyes over all the denizens of the town. Although Slugwrath did not have a good rapport amongst the peasants, he certainly had a sense of style that Dalarai could respect. Turning around, he became full of shock as he noticed a familiar face and unmistakable beard. Oros, in all of his wizardly glory. Dalarai wondered how long the mage had been observing him, but these thoughts were cut short with questions.

"So, what do you think of Swordhaven, my boy?" he asked in a jovial manner. "There is almost magic in the air, no?" he continued, looking slightly mischievous as he gave a tug on his braided beard. Dalarai simply smiled in response, shocked by his teacher's sudden arrival. "I trust there were no complications in your journey, Dalarai. How much did it come to in the end?" he inquired.

"It was fine, thank you Sir." Dalarai responded. "It came to four hundred in the end."

"Four hundred gold!?" barked Oros. "He's played you for a chump, lad. But I suppose you are clearly as green as you are blue." he chuckled to himself. "I have made arrangements for your accommodation, an old friend who owes me more than a couple of favors has agreed to take you in. Once upon a time he was my partner in battle, but nowadays he is the head of the city guard, Kyros Archeteuthis." Oros explained to Dalarai, who returned an air of confusion. "You'll find his house next to the White Gryphon Inn, in the third district. It will have a guard posted outside, but if you explain who you are to him, he should let you in with no problem." Oros winked and then vanished, seemingly into thin air.

After asking a variety of city dwellers where the third district could be found and receiving no replies, he was finally told by the baker in the market district that it was to the left of the castle. Strolling down, he noticed that it was an extremely well constructed area with several large houses, which he thought fitting for the Captain of the Guard. Night was drawing close, but spotting a sign with a pure white gryphon on it, he noted he was going the right way. Just as a promised a huge building made of hard black stone with marble pillars was being watched over by a spear-armed guard. Nervously he sidled up to the front gate.

"Halt!" yelled the guard. "What business do you have with Kyros?" he asked.

"I am Dalarai Delrix and I'm here to stay with Kyros as arranged by Oros Kalathar." Dalarai replied, summoning confidence.

"Ah! I was told to expect your arrival. Go right through the gate and take a right, Kyros is currently in his private training hall." he told Dalarai with a smile. "And good luck with your examinations!" the guard added.

As Dalarai pressed onward into the armory, greeted by the sight of an old man with long hair, an eye-patch, a bushy moustache and a rusted iron armor wielding a heavy black blade, but slicing a training dummy into several wooden blocks with expert speed and precision. The very spectacle unnerved Dalarai somewhat as the tall old man approached him with an outstretched hand. Accepting a rough handshake, Dalarai smiled politely as not to offend. "Greetings, I am-" he began.

"Dalarai Delrix. Indeed." interrupted Kyros. "Oros told me you would be arriving today. I expected you to be a bit more impressive looking, the way he was talking about you. I suppose you mage types always look scrawny and malnourished." he quipped with a hearty chuckle, his deep voice booming across the training hall. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Dalarai... make yourself welcome here. After all, this is your home now. Since my sons have left for the big wide world of adventure, you can have Korallo's old room. It probably still has some of his magical thingamabobs laying around, as I know you're interested in those." he informed his new lodger.

Moving his way up the stairs Kyros lead Dalarai through the ornate halls to a rather large bedroom, decorated with strange seashells and several odd blue runes, an old crystal ball adorning the mantlepiece over the fireplace. "It's rather odd to have you staying here, considering that Oros taught Korallo everything he knew before he left home. That's part of why I owed him this favor. I wouldn't touch any of Korallo's old stuff, personally, but you might know what you're doing. His old bed is quite comfy if you want to sleep after your journey, if you want some supper, there is a lot of hearty soup and crusted bread left over from the mess hall." he told Dalarai, flashing a gap-toothed smile before leaving for more practice downstairs.

This place is suited for a prince! Dusk's voice rang in Dalarai's head. I think we're going to like it here, kid. Moustache man seems nice but something's weird about him... Now what was that about soup?

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 11/15/2011 11:03:54 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) Times and Tales of Dalarai Delrix
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition