Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(HS) Unexpected Circumstances

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> HeroSmash >> (HS) Unexpected Circumstances
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/18/2011 10:55:23   
Vector

Unexpected Circumstances

Prologue

I remember that day...

Six months ago, some crazy fruit loop decided to cause a large scale war between the heroes and villains to decide which side was stronger. Quite obviously one of the dumbest reasons to start it, but at least they had the decency to clash away from the city. Some time during that war, somebody on the villains' side decided to revolt and help the heroes, which practically gave us the victory... but nobody expected the reason why: it was all for the sake of he loved deeply. I shouldn't be complaining that they sholdn't be together-- my mind races with that kind of stuff-- but I never would've thought that crazy dream would ever turn real, but there it was before my own eyes. Everybody saw it, because everybody knew the city's future depended on that war, and that future was bright. A lot of people ran straight for the river like they were forty-niners on a gold rush after most of the villains practically blew themselves sky high, but I stayed right where I was. I knew the villains were pretty much nothing but wimpy bank robbers and thieves, so I wasn't afraid at all, but I just didn't feel that confident about it. I don't know if it's just bad luck with my 'mushy side' or what, but I never went to the river, and I still don't. All the news really talks about anymore is Demolicious and how she started a city-wide trend, since the Skulldeep villains are too weak to be worth the ten second glance, and the adverts are almost relentless on what they call 'opportunities at the river.' Can't blame them for making a sales pitch out of it, but don't expect me to follow suit.
Things are a whole lot better than they used to be, though, with the mutual alliance between us and the formerly reclusive Aquatian Empire, but I personally think that the aquatians like how the EPA is putting extra regulations against water pollution more than anything else. TITANium Threads suffered a pretty steep loss at first with the fact that they had to give back the materials they took from their homeland, but that was easily solved with an agreement. All in all, it was a rough start, but everything smoothed out pretty quick and everybody was happy, relatively speaking. There were still a few people who, like me, just can't seem to find the right person to be with, but that's for something else.
Right now, though, this is about how I, an average joe who's basically down on his luck lately, gets caught into something completely out of the ordinary in enough ways that would give me a nasty headache.
Post #: 1
10/20/2011 18:53:49   
Vector

I

I guess it seems to have started when I had that fortune cookie earlier today, when it told me that 'a long coveted desire awaits,' in its own words. I still have no idea what that meant, but it was reason enough for me to leave my house and start looking. I tried to make it look like I was just taking a walk around the city, but then I heard some noises coming from one of the back alleys. Since it made me wonder what was happening, I just stood right at the edge of the alley and listened into it, and heard what sounded like just someone abusing an animal. Considering what actually could happen in these back alleys, that's pretty light, but it's still no excuse to just leave it alone, so I quietly walked into the alley and saw that it was a known felon who almost literally does this kind of crime for a living. Every time he gets busted and thrown in prison, there's always somebody with enough cash to bail him out. Whether its his 'friends' or crime partners, I don't know which, but getting arrested seemed to be no problem for this trash, so I had to take care of it myself. Yeah, I know he's a felon, but that's only because he keeps beating down animals or whoever can't defend themselves for some reason or other, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't last very long in a real fight, so I walk right up to him, knock him to the ground and give him the reliable russian gas pedal.

"Let's see you try and fight someone who can fight back next time, eh?" I yell at him. He unsurprisingly screamed in such pain, but I didn't hold him for long and he eventually managed to stand up and stumble out of the alley. Now that the problem was taken care of, I walk up to the strange creature who was definitely not aquatian, but it resembled a mix between a cat and a human. It was wearing what seemed to be a ceremonial garb of some type, and nearly everything about this... 'cat person', including the skin but not the 'gloves', (or whatever they were) was purple-ish. I don't know the exact color of it, but it looks closer to purple to me. I half expected it to just try to push me away, but it just sat there and stared at me, even when I was kneeling right in front of it. Actually, it was shaking pretty bad because of the felon, but at least I tried to help. "There, I took care of that problem for ya. I know he hit you pretty bad, so just show me where it hurts a lot and then I'll see what I might be able to do, alright?" After hesitating for a few seconds, the 'cat person' pointed at its left leg, but when I tried to take a closer look, it pushed me away, inevitably moving the damaged leg and cringed as a result. From how little effort it took, the leg definitely seemed to be broken, but I'm no doctor.
"That bad where you don't want me near it... this could be a problem. How am I gonna get you... aha!" As soon as I discovered the problem, I saw a solution; the 'cat person' can't move, so I take my phone out of my pocket and call the only doctor I knew who would help.

"Super City Medical Hospital, this is Dr. Goldenstein."

"Just another situation where someone needs help, though you don't need any scuba gear this time." I briefly explain.

"Ho ho, I'm surprised none of them actually asked you out on a date with all of the aquatians you've helped all this time, Joe."

"So was I... but then I realized they were all taken."

"I see... well, since it's not by the river again, you'll have to give me your location."

"East Mainstreet, in the alley across from the beauty parlor."

"Beleen's Beauty Boutique? You'd have to be nearly blind to miss all that pink she shows off so extravagantly. Very well, I'm on my way." Dr. Goldenstein, or Strebor as some know him by, used to be a teacher's assistant at Sweeney University, but since the end of that war, and after what the city called a 'rescue against the odds' when he managed to just barely save Demolicious' life, the entire city, especially the hospital, almost literally begged for him to become a doctor. After we hung up, I put my phone back in my pocket and go back to the 'cat person.' The only reason I'm calling it that is because I have no idea who it is, or even where it came from.

"It'll take a few minutes," I calmly say to it while trying to settle it down and keeping clear of the damaged leg, "But at least I got someone who can help more than I can." It placed one of the glove things (still attached to it) on my hand as I was trying to settle the 'cat person' down, almost like it wanted me to stay, but yet never spoke a word. "Don't worry, I'm not leavin', but how come you can't speak? Do you know how to speak our language?" It shook its head; it doesn't know how to speak English, but it knows what I'm saying... I have to admit that's one of the stranger things I've discovered, but the fact that it trusts me so easily is stranger still. Dr. Goldenstein arrived faster than I expected, yet we didn't hear any ambulance sirens or anything like that.

"Ah, so this was the one who was in trouble?" He asked, noticing the creature.

"More or less, but I get the feeling that this mix of a cat and a person is starting to get... attached to me."

"Well, you did help when they needed it, so I'm not quite surprised. In fact, I actually expect them to start following you around once I assess whatever damage is done, much less keep you by their side." That's a rather... interesting thought...

"Wait, are you saying that it could be...?"

"It's quite possible," Strebor said rather stoically, "But I'm not guaranteeing anything. Now, is there anything I need to know before I bring them back to the hospital?"

"...Better go easy on the left leg. It hurts pretty bad and I think it might be broken."

"That's what I was afraid of... but at least I have the gurney. I'll be right back." The doctor briefly left to get the gurney from whatever vehicle he arrived in while the 'cat person' returned its covered up hand back to mine. Definitely seems like it is getting attached to me, as Strebor says, but I'm thinking it's something totally different, and if... 'it's' true, then... well, I just don't know. Strebor came back with the gurney pretty quick, but not before the 'cat person' carefully lays on its back, and moves it right next to the two of us.

"Alright, you know how to handle this better than I do, so I'll take the shoulders."
Post #: 2
10/31/2011 15:08:38   
Vector

II

Figured out why it didn't take Strebor very long to show up in an ambulance: it was simply by chance, as the ambulance wasn't very far from where we were. It didn't surprise me that the cat person felt rather uneasy with every attempt Strebor made to help, even a simple x-ray, but then again, none of this might be familiar, so I can't exactly blame the caution. Both Strebor and I were rather surprised when we looked at the x-ray; the fact that the leg was actually broken wasn't all that surprising, I mean, it's really hard to miss the pain the poor thing was going through every so often, but how the bone structure was for the other leg was the real surprise. Instead of the typical structure that we have, which we admittedly expected, there's actually two smaller parts for the same leg. It's kind of hard to describe it really, but basically it looks like twice the amount of bones at about half the size. I don't know what gave that crazy idea, but all that means to me is that they're easier to break being that small.

"Oh my..." Strebor finally managed to say, "Even if it looks a little similar to human bone structure, I'm not quite sure if I would want to... but yet it's intriguing in a way..."

"Want to what?"

"To actually try and fix this problem, Joe. From the smaller overall size, I can't help but think that they're more fragile than ours."

"Exactly what I was thinking, so the only thing I see is to put a cast on and see if the leg will eventually fix itself up. I ain't willing to risk making it worse, especially since we've practically just met this cat person."

"Yes, it would be like we're doing this blind since we simply don't know if anything else could be drastically different... alright then, I'll have to see what would be the proper size for the leg cast, but in the meantime, you'll have to sit in the waiting room."

"Yeah, I might not have been here very much, but at least I know what I'm supposed to do, Strebor; just don't take too long or I might think something went wrong." I have to admit, when I got to the waiting room, it was strange to see it empty, but maybe that was just by chance. I didn't have to wait very long, though, before he came back with a puzzled look on his face.

"Something seems rather odd about that creature," Strebor said rather cautiously, "I tried taking the things off of the hands and they wouldn't even budge. I'm beginning to think it may be a criminal of some sort wherever it came from, so you might want to think twice before actually deciding to help out."

"Not likely. If that was true, we'd have a better chance of seeing it in jail or at least without the sad look in the eyes. I'd say it looks more of a victim of something, Strebor, and leaving it on its own isn't going to help improve the mood. Let's get back to it so it doesn't think we abandoned the poor thing. When the cat person saw me as we came back, who was sitting in a wheelchair since the gloves made crutches not quite a good idea, it immediately wanted me back at its side. I knew why; it pretty much put all its trust into me for saving its hide back at the alley, but I get the feeling Strebor's starting to think it's not trust at all with how long he was thinking about this unusual situation.

"Hmmm... well, since it seems to be preferring to have you by its side, you're going to have to take care of it from now on, just like if you had a pet."

"Except it won't be a pet, Strebor, it'll be a friend... but I'm kinda surprised you didn't try to do other things like check blood pressure and all that stuff doctors do."

"Ho ho ho, better to be sure it's willing to trust us long before we consider going that far. I don't want it having nightmares and have us lose any future chances to help."

"Hmm, that's good... I was afraid I'd have to argue with you about that, honestly."

"Actually," Strebor started to joke, "I was beginning to worry you never did pay attention in school." Yes he did just say that, and I even hear the cat person snickering softly at me. Strebor's been teasing me about that ever since that one day that I was so tired I just couldn't keep my head up, and he's never let it rest. It's safe to say the cat person's heard about this one mishap, too.

"Ha, ha, ha," I sarcastically laughed, "Give it a rest, already. That was crunch time the night before my math test and you know I'm not the only one who suffered from that."

"Of course I know, it's the fact that it was the first time it ever happened that makes it so surprising... like we never expected it to happen." I can see the cat person just smiling at me out of the corner of my eye, apparently amused by Strebor's little joke.

"Yeah yeah, just knock it off and take us over to my house. The Cavalier's still there only because I decided to take a walk before all this decided to happen." After pushing the wheelchair, with the cat person, out of the hospital and into Strebor's SUV, Strebor took the scenic routes around the city like he was a tour guide, and even gave a brief description of all the places we drove by, before finally arriving at my small white house.
Post #: 3
12/22/2011 17:52:21   
Vector

III

No surprise that the cat person didn't want me to leave its side; I mean, I was the one who saved it, but it felt nervous every time I'm just ten feet away. I'm starting to think that there was something more that happened than just the known animal abuser, like it's been through worse... well, whatever the reason, it won't do either of us any good if it's scared out of its mind, so I will stay close... I just hope it would understand I can't be there twenty-four seven.

"I'm quite surprised it's already become so... attached to you, Joe," Strebor said, noticing the cat person so calm when I'm next to it.

"You and me both, Strebor. I can understand it being so grateful, but I didn't expect this much. What I don't get, though, is how it's able to understand what we say and yet still can't speak to us."

"That intrigues me as well... but I'm afraid you'll have to figure that out on your own." Strebor carefully helps the cat person stand up and guide it to the couch to sit down. "I can't really stay much longer."

"Right, 'cause the hospital still needs you. Alright, then, thanks for the help." We exchanged goodbyes, then Strebor takes the wheelchair and leaves to return to the hospital. The first thing that comes up in my mind is that the cat person has got to be hungry, so I try to think of what it might possibly eat without getting sick. Of course, I get nowhere since I have no clue whatsoever, so I just simply ask if it's hungry and it nodded its head... and it even tried to stand up. "Ah, ah, wait! I don't want you to accidently hurt yourself. What, you want to see what I have?" At that point I kind of felt stupid when it nodded its head again; I should've known that. "Should've figured. Alright, hold on." I walked up to the cat person and helped it stand, trying my best to avoid putting pressure on the damaged leg, but then I felt guilty when I saw it wince. "Ah, crap, I'm sorry... I didn--"It quickly shut me up by putting one of its... restraining glove things, or whatever it was, right up to my mouth, then pointed at itself a couple times when I was quiet. I have to guess it accidentally bumped something on the damaged leg... maybe the couch. "Oh, I see," I say to it, relieved it wasn't my fault, "It's gonna take a while to get used to it, I'm afraid, but at least I'm here to help out." I think I might end up regretting what I said, because as soon as it started to lean on me for support, I started getting nervous, and it might take me a while to get used to it, too. I managed to hold it back for now, though, and helped the cat person walk into the kitchen.

"I'll be honest with ya," I said flatly to it, "We got to come up with a better way to talk to each other than just pointing fingers and moving our heads around, or we won't get very far." It nodded its head again, then tried to reach for an apple that was on the counter. I walked it over to the counter and gave the apple to it, and the cat person looked like it was trying to study the apple: looking at it from different angles, sniffing it a couple times and even licked it once. Eventually, it decided to take a small bite of the apple, a smart choice considering it's literally unknown territory in a lot of ways. There seemed to be nothing bad hppening when it finished the piece, so it continued eating the apple while we walked back over to the couch until we saw my laptop computer. Maybe we could use it to type out what the cat person wants to say... "I got an idea; How 'bout we use my laptop here to type out a conversation?" It thought about the idea for a moment, then shrugged. It was worth a try, so I turned on the laptop and explained what we might be able to do while the computer was starting up. "I was kinda thinking we could type our conversation on a word processing program so we could at least make it look like we might be talking to each other, but there's a couple things I want to tell you first." It paused from eating the apple and tilted its head a little, apparently interested. "Nothing too major other than keeping that apple away from the laptop, but just a couple things I do when I do this 'text messaging' as we call it. Here, I'll show ya." I open up the word processing program and give the cat person a couple lessons on basic computer usage, then show what I usually do on it. (note: "cat person's" text is colored a shade of purple for ease of recognition)

This is a sentence. *action*

"If you see any words within these tiny star-looking things," I explain, "Then that's when someone would perform an action, like scratching your ear, or yawning." Now the cat person became curious and started typing, even though the glove things didn't make it easy.

"So I type what I would normally say and you would be able to understand?"

"Yeah, and if using the star things is a little confusing to you, you can always show the expression to me personally when it's my turn."

"I see. Thank you, human."
That took me by surprise a little. I'm sure it heard my name at least three times by now.

"Um, I thought you heard my name was Joe."

"I... I'm sorry, I must have forgotten."

"That's alright. We can't remember everything we learn right away. Sometimes it could take a while."

"I see... but I don't understand why you had to be so... harsh with the punishment."
I knew the cat person's talking about my rescue attempt back in the alley.

"You weren't his first victim and I got really sick and tired of him getting bailed out every single time. That's all I'll say about it."

"It's all I wanted to know, thanks. I have to guess that you'd want to get to now me a little, right?"

"Yeah, I've been curious for a while now, but you don't have to tell me everything."

"Alright, but it might take a while, so let me just say one thing right away."

"What's that?"
At this point, the cat person hesitated to tell me, like it was a big secret. Maybe Strebor was right that it was a criminal, but the sad look makes me think that either he's wrong, or that this poor soul regrets what he-- or she, I don't know which-- had done.

"I... I'm part of a species where females... are almost literally property, even in the higher-class societies." That right there made my eyes widen, big time. I knew something was going on since it has those glove things, but this one just blew me out of the water.

"Woah woah woah, seriously? No rights, no freedom, nothing? You're completely at the (lack of) mercy of whoever's got a hold of you?" There was definitely sadness in that poor soul's eyes. She's no criminal at all, she's in a victim's worst nightmare!

"...Yes, and you are right to assume I'm one of those victims." I set the laptop aside and move close to her, then she instinctively hugs me as she made sounds similar to sobbing over my shoulder. I don't even want to think of what happened back wherever she came from...

"Then it's about time I changed things up," I said to her as I hugged her back, "I'm going to make sure you at least get treated better than that, I promise you." As soon as I said that, she sobbed a little louder. I know I'm going to have to prove it, but this is the promise I wouldn't catch myself dead trying to break...

Even if it could save my life.
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> HeroSmash >> (HS) Unexpected Circumstances
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition