Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The Menagerie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> The Menagerie
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/25/2011 0:53:10   
superjars

C&C go here.

~Chapter 1~

A search would have taken much longer than I wanted to spend out here, regardless of the promptings of the others in the circle. Each had their own reason for being here, and none of them really had been too keen to share what had brought them here. Silence filled the valley as the final gust of wind streamed through, heading for parts unknown. It was eerie how quiet it had become, and yet, soothing as well. I had planned to leave, but being here, staying with these others, that felt more like home than anywhere else I could have gone.

“Still here, I see,” Grezh spouted, his words echoing loudly in the confined space. I had never liked the strange lizard like creature, but he hadn’t really seemed to ever pay attention to anything but his own agenda and inventions. “If you’re going to stay here, you might as well make yourself useful. Come and give us a hand, so we can get out of this hellhole.”

I didn’t so much like the idea of following this things lead, but as I looked around the circle, I didn’t see very many others who I really desired to lead me either. A deep sigh emitted from several mouths as the others rose to their feet, or whatever they had to support them, and spread out around the enclosure, looking for a way out that didn’t include marching through the glowing circle of energy we had all entered through.

I found myself moving towards one of the more normal looking characters, a tall, blonde swordsman with a swagger and an attitude, but still very much human. His change in body posture as I approached made it evident that he considered anyone coming from behind a threat and the hand inching towards his scabbard gave me more than enough reason to pause.

“I just wanted to ask you a question,” I spoke quickly, unable to control the slight tremor of fear that caused my voice to tremble, “but if you’re busy…”

His hand moved away from its position resting on his pommel, but I knew it would be there again faster than I could make any attempt at attacking him. The Swordmaster of Light, they called him, Gui Lacroix to those intimate with him (and a few number that was), and he definitely lived up to his name and reputation.

“Well, I was wondering what it was we are looking for,” I asked, although I knew full well what it was. “It must be something quite important, to pull this varied group from all across the multiverse.”
“You do not know what we look for?” the man cooed, his eyebrow piquing as he stared hard into my face. “No, I see deception in your eyes. You are trying to test me, but I will not fail in my resolve. Go and bother some other with your paltry questions.”

With that, he turned away, moving off towards the southern wall to join several others already searching there. I turned away, looking about. One person drew my interest: a young girl, sitting in the center of the clearing, apparently refusing to participate in the search going on around her. She seemed quite alone, but at the same time, as if she had more company than she cared to. My approach with her was much more open than the last man, hoping to disarm her through my jubilant salutations.

“Why, hello there, friend! It is a pleasant morning for our little soiree, is it not? I do hope you’re enjoying it and everything that goes along with it!” I said, my face a pleasant smile masking my inner awkwardness. That had come out entirely unplanned and I worried that she would see right through my ploy. However, as she turned to face me, it was evident that she was as affected by my speech as she would be if she had been a steel wall hit by a feather. Her deadpan embouchure and blank eyes stared up at me, piercing my very being. As I looked into those cold eyes, I saw the others inside, all clamoring to be out, to be free.

“Oh, shut up,” Celeste said simply, then turned away from me once more. I gulped, considering saying something more to her, but it was obvious she had no interest in anything I had to say. Best to move on from this one and talk to another was my thought.

I spotted another one, not far away, who was also not participating in the grand search for whatever they were all trying to find. Tall, muscular and bald were the most notable physical features of this man. His pristine skin was tanned from exposure, but not unpleasantly so. In fact, his appearance was quite easy to look at, unmarred by any injury or scar, but his behavior was quite strange to watch: Gael was performing some ritualistic act, moving his body in rhythm with a primal chant that came flowing from his mouth. It was obvious that he was deeply involved in whatever it was he was doing, but I couldn’t help but say something.

“Um, excuse me, but what are you doing?” I asked cautiously, keeping my distance so as not to interrupt his movements. He stopped at my words, turning to shoot me an angry glare. However, that flowed off his face in an instant as our eyes met.

“I touched another and was simply purifying myself of that stain,” he stated, as if this was the most obvious thing in the world. “Is there something I can help you with, young sir?”

His formality caused me pause for a few moments, but as I stood there, mouth agape, it became obvious he was waiting for some further query on my part. “Well, I was simply curious,” I blurted out, unsure now of why I had interrupted him. “Um, do you know anything about where we are?” I squeezed the question out, but knew it wasn’t the one I had originally been contemplating. Something about his interactions with me had befuddled my mind, as if his very presence kept me from thinking straight.

“And what makes you think I know about that?” he sneered, very unlike what I expected a monk to act like. “I might know some more if certain persons would allow me to complete my rituals without bothering me.” With that, he turned his back on me and bent over the ground, picking up where he had left off, an unspoken signal that I should move on.

I couldn’t decide if I should take offense to his actions, but in the end, it seemed a paltry sleight, since I had interrupted him in the first place. So far, the people I had met were unhelpful at best and downright cruel at worst. There had to be someone around those assembled who might be able to shed light on our predicament, and do it without biting my head off. It was time to go and search for someone who looked a bit kinder, if that was possible in this group.

< Message edited by superjars -- 10/25/2011 0:57:55 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> The Menagerie
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition