Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Giving you my Heart - Lady Veryon's Writing Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Giving you my Heart - Lady Veryon's Writing Thread
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/27/2011 15:45:57   
Lady Veryon

I'm just breaking into things here at L&L, and I'm really excited!!! *Dances with sexy party music*

Well. Now that that's out of the way. :p

Hi! I'm Lady Veryon. Primarily, I'm a Poetess, essay writer, short story writer, and I even throw out the occasional novel.
Writing isn't a hobby for me so much as a way to give my heart out to people. I've lived nineteen years, but making people happy, especially with my writing, is what I like best and enjoy the most. I'm not prone to the Melodrama, but I do get annoyed once in awhile. Critique and I are best friends, because it makes my writing better.

I will post the link to my thread(s, potentially, in the future) in a few minutes, starting with poetry.

I hope you enjoy, and I know we'll all be great friends!

~:Open your heart:~ <--Poetry
~:Color-Stealer:~<--Short Story

< Message edited by Lady Veryon -- 11/14/2011 15:59:52 >

There is a song in my heart
and it greets your smile.
If our hearts can sing together,
I will call us friends.
Post #: 1
10/27/2011 15:58:22   
Riprose123

*Whistle* That's pretty good. I've read a lot of poetry, and even written some of my own, but, damn, that has to be in my top ten. It's good. Can't wait to see what else you put into L&L.
DF MQ  Post #: 2
10/27/2011 16:22:56   
Lady Veryon

All right, I'm limiting to ten posts a day to give you some time to catch up. My many fans..../sarcasm. :p

EDIT: Riprose!! You're a ninja, I didn't see your post!! :DD Thank you so much. I'll try not to disappoint. /Blush

< Message edited by Lady Veryon -- 10/27/2011 16:24:37 >
Post #: 3
10/27/2011 21:27:40   
Argeus the Paladin

Just running through Thunderheart just now. Well, I am admittedly no poet, so I can't really comment on any of the technical aspects except for the apparent lack of rhymes. I am assuming this is part of your style?

Also, that poem works for all sort of romantic love considered taboo by the respective universe, not just homosexual love. If I was not aware beforehands that the poet were female, I'd assume that it refered to a love between opposite social classes, races, politically inclined backgrounds, rivaling families, etc. And maybe something else.

Hell, since I am high on Mount and Blade lately, I'll go ahead and assume that this poem refers to the love a vassal of the Kingdom of Rhodok has for his homeland of Swadia. While the two countries are currently at peace, his admitting that he is at heart a loyal Swadian will no doubt get him cast out of the court of King Graveth. In the meantime, he is sincerely hoping that Swadia will not betray his trust and declare war on Rhodok.
DF  Post #: 4
10/27/2011 23:36:23   
Anon Y. Mous
Creative!

ay-yo, dropping by unannounced is one of my greatest strengths

Thunderheart

quote:

I long to take her in my arms
Bitter-sweetly longing for what I do not long for;

i understand that purpose of the repetition of "long", but i feel that its presence in both lines is a bit much. mebbe change the "long" in the top line to "desire"? (although i'm sure there's a much more elegant word than "desire" somewhere)

otherwise, love that sass at the end of the poem :P

Menadacity

quote:

Your wilting life respired in my arms,

nothing wrong with this line, i'm just not sure quite how to make heads or tails of it. you don't have to tell me about it if you don't want to, of course

quote:

Seduction/...Oak/...Summer.../...Summers

do i sense a bit of emily dickinson?

great diction throughout, and you really work the flowery-ish syntax well. also, the twist at the end was actually rather surprising after such deep LONGing (see what i did there - HA HA oh my that's funny) in the poem

well, that's all i can do as of now (it's kinda late round'about where i live), but i will hopefully return, read, and comment more. just from skimming the rest of your collection, though, i've already deduced a common theme (can you guess what it is? :P)
anyways, good work! and i don't usually use so many smilies

VERSACE DiAMOND BENZES POPPiN OLLiES iN YANKEE STADiUM WHiLE THE CHiLDREN WiPE iCE CREAM FROM THEiR DOUBLE CHiNS?? i GUESS iTS TiME TO BRiNG THE RiCE OUT
i'm a poet watch me poem-write
DF  Post #: 5
10/28/2011 9:40:45   
Lady Veryon

Argeus: Yes, actually. Not all poems need to rhyme. Oh, they need the stanza, but that's about where all similarities end. I'll see if I can write you a rhyming, four-lines-to-a-stanza'd poem soon, just for variety. ;P

Anon: Did you know there's a movie named after you. ;DD Mm.... Interesting. Yeah, the point was to repeat long, but I will consider changing it into something more flowery and poet-like. :p Hahaha. Thank you. /Loves the sass too much ^^'
I ALWAYS want to talk about my poetry. I guess that makes me a slantern? /Polite wording for trollop. Seriously, what that line means isn't so deep and poetic as thinking about the truth, yes? 'Wilting', as in 'rapidly ending' or 'falling apart', not so much the "petals" angle. "Respired," it's to breathe, yes? "Your too-quickly passing life breathed in my arms (and I felt peace for it).

Ahha! How did you know!? Emily Dickinson and Sappho are my favorite (not that I don't sense their genius, but I rather dislike the Sober-sided moralist poets).

And yes, I'd love to see both of you come back. I love making new friends and hope to hear from you soon. :))
Post #: 6
11/2/2011 10:27:30   
Lady Veryon

New Poems up. :)
Post #: 7
11/7/2011 16:13:33   
Lady Veryon

Sorry for the triple post (...) but new poem up.
Post #: 8
11/14/2011 16:00:46   
Lady Veryon

>Quadruple post apology<

Short story up. It's my first.
Post #: 9
11/15/2011 0:39:09   
Shreder

Don't apologize--this is one of the few places on the forums where double, triple, quadruple, up to however many 'uple posts you want are allowed.

With that being said, you have a fair bit of poetry up already, and though I haven't had a chance to read through it all I did glance over a few pieces, and I must say it's quite good. You definitely have a voice that is uniquely your own. Keep writing!
DF MQ  Post #: 10
11/15/2011 3:23:10   
Argeus the Paladin

First thing first:

quote:

They walked for many miles, having ignored Kael’s own collection of vehicles (everything from beaten-down Cadillac to newest-release Jaguar, depending on the needs of the job) and many taxi cabs since.

I'd be damned, but IIRC Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider of the Blood Elves consorted with Outland demons rather than dragons.

Okay, so I have to say this right now: This is definitely one of the better works in L&L these days. Hence, no comment on the technicalities, because you certainly would not need it. I'd instead focus on the more advanced parts.

First off, this is not a short story by definition, but rather the first chapter of a novel. A short story is, among other factors, self-contained. Which is the whole reason why it is so easy to write yet so hard to pull off well IMO - you have to develop your characters well, have a convincing, exciting and meaningful plot and wrap everything up within five thousand. Unless you are trying to have this be one of those stories that end abruptly on purpose so as to create a sense of mystery in the reader (which, given the kind of investment you've made trying to flesh out the characters, is a little hard to buy), I don't see how this can work out as a short story.

My biggest gripe with your work is that it is far too purple - which is to say, I believe you are trying too hard to make your prose sound colorful and poetic. This is a common error among fledging authors who think that trying to cram as many colorful similes and metaphors into the prose as possible is a sign of sophistication. In truth, if not well done it is nothing short of being distracting to the main plot the point of being counterproductive.

Let's look at my favorite sample.

quote:

Daylight had crawled back to his hole; and night, with his silver pelt, had emerged, victorious again. The arms of the smog embraced the city of London, reaching up towards the taller buildings amid the hard-to-glimpse stars. The river Thames ran through it like a broken bit of skin, blood dripping from it, the dirty water glimmering under the hungry, yellow moon.

The moon itself was winking faintly, a small crescent, dying like the rest of them. In the city, nothing was immortal. There was only now, and for one man, now seemed long enough.

As it happened, Kale Bentheart was asleep. Tossing and turning, his subconscious mind fed to him the same old images.

I've had to read about three times to understand that no, the story is not about the personification of day, night and London's lovely pollution, but a particular Kael'thas Sunstrider Kale Bentheart. Poetic? Yes. Pretty-sounding? Yes. Distracting to the plot-important elements? Heck yeah. The bad thing is, such imageries didn't just stop at the opening paragraph - they are everywhere. I would go into a long rant as to how purple prose is the death of today's YA novels, but that is neither here nor there.

Another thing I found troublesome is that the characters are, to be frank, quite cliched. Kale? Hello, Mr. Professional <insert supernatural creature here> Slayer With A Notch On His Shoulder And A Grudge Against A Particular Race He Can't Get Over. Linn? Greetings, Madame Mysterious Sundries Lady Upstreet Who May Or May Not Hold A Plot-Related Secret. Henry is the only character remotely unique, but I doubt the regular dragon, being so deeply infected with hubris, would be so happy to be slapped around by a human who had been made pretty clear was working under his employ. As such, apart from the dragon being a lot more humble than he should be, the first chapter read extremely predictably. Of course, there are times where this is a good thing, but IMO this is not one such occasion.

Unfortunately I can't really comment about the mythological accuracy of your feys, since I am not well acquainted with their mythos.

My final assessment is that which direction you take from here is entirely dependent on what you want to do next with it. Do you want to polish it to the point of being a publishable work? Do you want to keep it as a pet project to show your friends for fun and laughter? Or do you just want to have it be a "personal" work, something you write for yourself and nobody else? If you want to go on the less ambitious roads, then all the flaws I've mentioned above are absolutely fine. You have a piece of work that is relatively well written and, at least as far as this forum goes, you can be justifiably proud of.

If, however, you want to create something with the goal of publishing, then hear me - Scratch everything. No, I'm serious. Scratch everything except for the bare skeleton of your story. As it stands this story hits every single weak point that YA supernatural novels flaunt these days - cliched characters, purple prose and a setting that tries too hard to be mysterious and supernatural. It may sell to the right people, but even if it does, it will almost certainly be torn a new one by either professional critics or literary-inclined folks from Something Awful or Impish Idea.

As a closing word, please don't take this as a personal attack, and my apologies if it sounds that way. You have great potential as a writer, and because of that I feel obliged to give frank opinion to help you improve. Also, keep in mind that all of the above is just my personal assessment. I am no professional editor - far from it - and my opinion should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Good luck on your future endeavors, and battle on!
DF  Post #: 11
11/15/2011 11:54:19   
Lady Veryon

It's moments like this where I realize I'm not half as talented as I think I am. I like to think I am among the better writers for my age-group, but I forget things.

Your advice is good. I guess I should probably tell you that I started writing this after reading an Anthology about Magic (Melissa Marr, Holly Black, Peter Beagle, many others) short stories. Their definition of short story apparently far outstretched the L&L version. :p It really tempted me to explore writing short stories a little more. The opening paragraph poured out of me, because I wanted to lay absolutely clear that I am, above all, a Poet. That means the flowery language is a nigh-must. I can't help but write it. When I focus my heart on a story--highly unique or too-recycled, I think it was said mine qualifies as the later; which I hope to overturn once I get farther into the story--that's what escapes from me. Certainly, a goal I hadn't thought of was to simplify my language, thus nullifying that particular effect. I'll try and work on it.

As for my characters. There's a specific plot that I have laid out--the first time I have ever attempted to do so--that lays bare your ideals about the overtly recycled plot. I think I read somewhere that nearly every story covers exactly the same idea, and tried to avoid those series of ideas. Instead I appear to have stumbled onto another cliche.

If it helps, Kale is certainly going through some immense character changes. Linn is only in the last bit of the story again, briefly, and she doesn't hold any plot secrets. She's just a sort of agent for what Kale does. I really wanted Kale to be witty and blunt with a bit of primal Charm. This is my skeleton. I'm constantly editing and re-working this or that if it doesn't feel right to me. Only the first part of the story does feel right, so I posted it. Apparently was pretty wrong to jump the gun like that....

I wrote it to prove to myself that I could be good. The good kind of good. The "I could make money doing this?" type of good. This tiny segment of a much-longer short story is three months of work alone. Apparently I'm thinking too hard. Noted.

Setting I tend to forget and add in later. I pick up the mood from the scene, or what I want the scene to be. So it ends up a little too-detailed. Certainly, I'm not a minimalist writer like Holly Black, which is normally what my short stories are like (think Urban fantasy).

Thank you so much for reminding me that I am nigh completely untalented in this stuff. Even if I have experience, there's still a lot to learn, and I shouldn't get ambitious or arrogant until I actually have something worth reading.

As my beloved Sappho writes:
quote:

I could not hope
to touch the sky
with my two arms.
Post #: 12
11/15/2011 18:10:03   
Argeus the Paladin

First off, what is your age again, since you mentioned "in my age-group"? Regardless of your answer, though, I need to inform you that being the best in your age-group in the publishing world these days warrant nothing. You have to compete against the best of the best whether you are seventeen or seventy, because your audience normally wouldn't give a darn about your age when you write your work if it doesn't meet the standard. Eragon was torn apart even though the author was in his teens when he first concocted it, and the Maradonia Saga were... well, apart from the folks on Impish Idea people would prefer to pretend it never existed. This is why it is so hard for a young author to do anything, since he/she would be forced to fight on a disadvantageous ground compared to his/her competitors.

Also, do not say that you are nigh untalented, because that is not right. Yes, this story is in sore need of reworking, but that doesn't say anything. A rule of thumb to remember is that the first draft of anything is crap period. Some people's first drafts are better than others, yes, but compared to what they could have achieved by extensively editing and revision, that is crap. And the decision to put up your works for others to see is the right one, so don't fret over it. It is hard to see your own flaws when you are on your own.

Oh, and this:

quote:

Holly Black

According to popular opinion in the communities I frequent, Holly Black is a hack. Though, that might have had more to do with her sponsorship of Cassandra Cla(i)re than anything else. I have never read her myself, so I can't give my own opinion.

The point is, you might want to broaden your horizons a bit aside from poems and YA stories. I would suggest reading up on the sort of stuffs that classical Greek poets busied themselves with in their days - history and philosophy. As I've mentioned in a three on this forum three years ago - and a view I still hold today - you can find more interesting characters, motives, archetypes and all that from history than any novelist can supply with, and the best part is it had happened. It made sense. It was logical considering everything. On the other hand, philosophy gives you a better tool to examine nigh everything related to writing from aesthetics to ethics. Even if you don't use all those, philosophy teaches you how you should question everything in your setting.

The point in learning to write, IMO, is not about writing the most flowery sentence or the most awesome characters. It is about learning how to put everything together and ask yourself whether they make sense.

Once again, godspeed and good luck!
DF  Post #: 13
11/17/2011 1:06:21   
Lady Veryon

I'm nineteen, man.

Giving up on the short story. It's useless.

Back to Poetry.

New Poem up. It's only the first draft, I'll be editing a lot. My goal is to show how I edit my poems.
Post #: 14
12/2/2011 1:23:49   
Lady Veryon

Poem up. Never cried while I wrote before.
Post #: 15
12/10/2011 13:09:19   
Lady Veryon

New Poem Up.
Post #: 16
12/17/2011 2:23:32   
Lady Veryon

New Poem up.
Post #: 17
4/14/2012 15:40:47   
Lady Veryon

New Poems up. I'm alive, folks. Not that this board is, really, but hey. Small favors.

< Message edited by Lady Veryon -- 4/14/2012 15:47:37 >
Post #: 18
4/14/2012 22:50:18   
DeathGuard

I read some of your poems ( not all), they were really interesting, there was one that really capture me which was Gentlemen. I like the part where you said:
quote:

The idea of true gentlemen
is utterly enchanting;
Men who bow and kiss our hands,
Instead of playing fool.
The irony of this part is that girls who search for gentlemen have a hard time finding one, the one who doesn't, are crowded by gentlemen.
I may be one of those guys who still believe in real love, and so talk properly to every girl in my sight, but finding a girl who expresses of gentlemen in that way is outstanding, I appreciate that a lot because sometimes I feel overshadowed by the world.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 19
5/25/2012 13:12:46   
Lady Veryon

Thank you, DeathGuard. I much appreciate it.

And yes! Any gentlemen out there are owed their due.
Post #: 20
7/5/2012 2:06:15   
Lady Veryon

New Poem Up.
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> Giving you my Heart - Lady Veryon's Writing Thread
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition