Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(AQ) "A Sonnet of Sorrow, Sung for Lore" [Narrative] - Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> (AQ) "A Sonnet of Sorrow, Sung for Lore" [Narrative] - Discussion
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/28/2011 1:27:42   
PowerFusion50

My latest piece: fairly long and complex story that follows Lore from present day through to a dramatic fall and then through to a dramatic rise again. A strange group of people turn up Battleon and everything changes for the worst. Read how the Lorians fight for their freedom from totalitarian control!

To forewarn the audience, there is a tiny tidbit of swearing near the end, but I feel the seriousness of this story and the intensity of the situation justifies it; as it is very brief and subtle. Also there is a scene or two in which some people may consider them "sappy".

I really hope you enjoy this story as I have enjoyed writing it. I greatly welcome your opinions and thoughts of this story and any constructive critisism you may have for me.

"A Sonnet of Sorrow, Sung for Lore" [Narrative]

< Message edited by PowerFusion50 -- 10/28/2011 2:08:04 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 1
10/29/2011 1:59:48   
Argeus the Paladin

You have quite a good grasp on the basic techniques of writing here. As such, I found little I can complain about your grammar, spelling, punctuation and other conventions of writing. You have also did the double line-spacing between paragraphs quite professionally, which is always a welcome habit. You have my commendations as far as these go.

However, the story itself, in my opinion, has quite a few parts I found unsatisfactory. Rest assured - most of those parts, I believe, can be improved easily. Keep in mind that every of my assessment below is strictly my personal opinion and is by no means a hard-and-fast "guideline":

The most glaring problem here is that the format of the story and the amount of content you want it to convey do not match at all. What you want to tell is a full account epic story of intolerance and imperialistic expansion (very loosely), oppression and enslavement, followed by a heroic revolution and liberation. This is a huge theme, for lack of better words. With a theme as such Leo Tolstoy and Victor Hugo had written hundreds upon thousands of pages and still the topic had not been fully explored yet. Now, back to your story, you chose to use a segmented short story format, a format that is best suitable for - for lack of better words - much smaller stories both in setting and scope. This is not to say that short stories can only deal with 'smaller' themes - I am merely trying to say there is no way you can put everything you need to emphasize on with a goal so broad into so few words, at least not as far as I know.

The immediate result of that is that the story reads like, despite your best effort, an excerpt from a primary school history book about World War II - a very, may I say, "drastically simplified" version of what could have been truly an epic. Then again, depending on the ultimate purpose you want this piece to serve, this might go either way. If you want it to be just a fun exercise in a short story that covers as much of an epic topic as possible, this is as perfect an attempt as any. On the other hand, if you want it to be exactly what you said in the introduction,

quote:

long and complex story that follows Lore from present day through to a dramatic fall and then through to a dramatic rise again

Then I could say right now that this is not enough. You need at the very least a novella for that, and a novella you don't yet have.

The second thing I found is that you overused the game mechanics aspect of the games to make your point. Let me speak a bit further on this topic: Game mechanics, in most cases, do not exactly exist in universe. The characters in universe would not refer to themselves as "I have exactly 100 HP, which is enough to survive an attack by a Tiny Gogg as long as I wear an armor that provides at least 25 defense". Those numbers are arbitrary and exist for no reason except to provide a way to materialize abstract concepts for gamers. They would much more likely refer to themselves as "I think I am fairly tough - a few injuries won't kill me".

Hence, in most cases abusing game mechanics to get your point across has two inherent implications. First and foremost, it shatters the willing suspension of disbelief, something you utterly want to keep intact for storytelling purposes. And two, it violates the "show, don't tell" principle on a meta basis - you will feel that you no longer have to "show" that the character is tough through his skills, appearance and other aspects of his character when a "Duh, he has 100 HP so he's tough" would be enough, an attitude that isn't exactly productive. Does that make sense?

While I'd admit that with a title so post-modern and meta as AE's every game, such a move is more acceptable, since stats and character levels as well as other RPing engine mechanics have been considered to exist in-universe, you are skirting the line between "humorous post-modern reference" and "game mechanic abuse" which brings right back to the point above. I know that the arbitrary "Level 130" and "Level 50" and "character class" and all that is a plot point, and because of that I am suggesting that you find another way to convey the sense that the DF-verse and AQ-verse is not the same without refer to arbitrary numbers.

Third, the sonnet. It's supposed to be the namesake of the story, a point of interest that a reader would most likely look for. Ideally, it would need to be a pivotal point of interest, such that the readers, upon encountering it, would go "Ah, so THAT's what the author was refering to at the title! That's deep, man!"

Unfortunately, what I found in your sonnet is that it is pretty much detached from the story. Try doing this: Reread the entire story, but omit the entire sonnet. Would the story read the same, as in, would the omission of the sonnet impact the story's plot at all? In my opinion, it doesn't. The sonnet as it stands seems to be something tacked onto the bulk of your story just for the sake of completion while adding absolutely nothing to it - a redundant poem that serves zero purpose but a seemingly irrelevant callback to the title. And you don't want redundance in a story.

My suggestion is that you make the sonnet impact on the story on an in-universe level. Maybe it is a prayer to the heavens? A rallying cry to the folks? Something that will come into play in the last minute and tip the balance of power towards the Lorians in the final battle? Then "the sonnet" will no longer become redundant, and will wheel right back to being a deep and well-thought Arc Word.

To conclude, I'd like to say that the assessment above is just that - a personal opinion expressed in good faith. If you would ned any further help with any specific part of the story, please feel free to give me a call. I'd do my best to help.

Good luck, and battle on!
DF  Post #: 2
10/29/2011 12:26:53   
PowerFusion50

Thank you so much for your feedback. I appriciate your thoughts and insights and that you took all that time to write them. May I say that I understand where you're coming from on all your points; as I read them I could not deny them. I would not go back and re-write this story, as that would be a ton of work, but I will use your advice in my future stories. Thanks again for your help and feedback.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> (AQ) "A Sonnet of Sorrow, Sung for Lore" [Narrative] - Discussion
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition