Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

[Critique Requested] Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> The Work Table >> [Critique Requested] Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/22/2011 1:37:11   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

All are welcome to critique my story here. I do not have much yet, but I fully intend to add more to my story whenever I have the chance.
(DF) Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance
Criticize my story as thoroughly as you desire; any feedback I recieve will only help me grow as a writer. Thank you to anyone and everyone who finds my story interesting enough to read!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:19:19 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/22/2011 3:13:40   
Helixi

Looks interesting. I've promised Mortarion a critique at the weekend, so I see no reason why I can't leave a critique for you as well. :3
AQ DF  Post #: 2
11/24/2011 14:53:55   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

I would appreciate that very much, Helixi. Thank you for taking the time to look over my writing. ^_^
The very first chapter of The Shadow of Ignorance has just been finished!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:19:31 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
11/24/2011 15:35:33   
Helixi

Well you're second on my list after Mortarion, so I'll post one (or the start of one) on the weekend.
AQ DF  Post #: 4
11/24/2011 15:39:42   
  Gingkage
Wolf Rider

I love the descriptions. It's great so far. Look forward to the next chapter.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
11/27/2011 14:05:29   
Helixi

I'd ask one thing before I start an in-depth critique, Faerdin. Please double space between paragraphs. It's a completely selfish request, but it'd make critiquing a lot easier.
AQ DF  Post #: 6
11/27/2011 15:34:16   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Nay, it is not a selfish request at all, Helixi. I've gladly done as you asked; as I said in my other thread, sorry if I've been hurting your eyes. ._.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:19:44 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
11/27/2011 15:40:25   
Helixi

Thanks very much. I'll get started on your critique now. ^^

So you know the format of my critiques:
Title of chapter/post
quote:

Quote from the story/poem here. Mistakes will be in bold and numbered.

List of criticisms underneath.
1. Crit here.
2. Crit here.
etc.

First Post; Uprising of Doom.

quote:

"Silence, you fool! That Paladin- was Artix his name1. -? may be crazy, but he always knows."

1. This is wrong. There should be no question mark, and the rest is fine.

quote:

crumpled 1. strengthlessly to the ground. Just as swiftly as the injury had occurred, the proud knight felt consciousness 2. so easily slip away from him, his disoriented thoughts cloaked by the cruel essence of night.

1. 'Strengthlessly' isn't a word.
2. The use of 'so' has no no place in this sentence. The sentence would be perfect the way it is, without 'so'.

quote:

The pressure upon his mind seemed to lift 1. , the terrible might of Sepulchure's 2. fel influence 3. seeming to fade like thick smoke as something wonderous and beautiful began to flow through his tortured conscience. So relieved was Faerdin at the feel of light's soothing warmth returning to him that he hardly noticed as the unforgiving ground momentarily slipped away from his fingers, landing upon some unfamiliar species of blessedly soft grass. An odd yet pleasantly delicious smell filled the air, not unlike that of hot tea.

1. The fragment before this is a main clause, so this comma should be a semi-colon/period.
2. This isn't a word. If you mean 'fell' as in evil, then I completely understand the context. If you don't, well, I'm lost as to what this could mean.
3. You used 'seemed' earlier in the sentence and now you used 'seeming'. This is a tense mix-up; in my opinion, you only need to make the second 'seemed' and it'll be fine.

Second post; Child of Destiny.

quote:

Sighing his discontent, Faerdin

How can one sigh his discontent? One can sigh with discontent.

Third Post; Where Malevolence Cannot Reach.

quote:

Curiously, Faerdin had shrewdly noticed that many of the self-proclaimed warriors that stood beside him had the faintest trace of fear within the dark depths of their eyes

Humm, I don't like this sentence, but I'm not really sure why. I think the word 'curiously' is unnecessary.

quote:

How did they turn those colors, exactly?"

If Rolith doesn't know who he is, he won't know that Faerdin is in fact the man he knew. Putting this in suggests Rolith does know that Faerdin ran the Moonridge militia after only a few seconds of talking to him. Unless of course, Rolith has a lightning fast brain and worked it out in the few seconds he had.

quote:

"CAPTAIN! CAPTAIN!" Rolith and Faerdin both jolted at the unnerving hysteria within the messenger's voice before he had crumpled at their feet, clearly enervated from the fear-filled journey he just made. Horror contorted the boy's features until he was barely recognizable, sweat 1. cascading magnificently down his broken face like rivers borne of untold terror.

Clearly disturbed by the intensity of the sentry's despair, Rolith 2. kneeled down to steady him and quietly murmured, "Calm yourself, man.. keep it together. Now, what is it that you have come to tell us?"

1. How can sweat 'cascade magnificently' down someone's face? The sentence makes sense, but that's a badly placed word.
2. 'Knelt'.

Overview.
What you have is a brilliant start to the story. It sets the scene perfectly, builds suspense well where necessary, makes me empathise with the character... In short, I want more. The one thing I would say is, in places your writing style is a tad flowery and overworked (which destroys the illusion of effortless writing in some places). This can put people off as much as a completely plain writing style. I'd suggest striking a balance between plain and complex writing.

Spelling. Nearly flawless, as far as I can tell.
Grammar/Punctuation. Nothing that I could see was wrong. Your sentences are well developed and flow easily. As I said above, don't overdevelop the use of complex sentences just because you can; short sentences are just as good in places.
Description. Lovely description. I particularly liked the red dragon.
Plot Development. Kinda none-applicable, as it's only the very start of your narrative. However, I get the feeling it'll be a great story.
Character Development. The above comment applies here.

Why did you want a critique for this? I went through it with a very fine tooth comb and found only eleven mistakes. I think you underestimate your own abilities as a writer, Faerdin. I'll be keeping a close eye on this story because I really like it and, of course, if you request a critique on an update I will do so.

< Message edited by Helixi -- 12/3/2011 6:51:52 >
AQ DF  Post #: 8
11/27/2011 16:53:19   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Dear me.. being a perfectionist, I didn't expect half as many mistakes from myself. Thank you so much for your critique, Helixi; I cannot express how happy I am to recieve a thorough and honest examination of my writing. I will take your words to heart and bear them in mind when I write in the future (In addition, I've fixed the errors that you found as well as I could). Needless to say, I will not (Or at least do my very best not to, as my memory is lamentably poor) forget your wise words. ^_^

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:19:58 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 9
11/27/2011 17:19:06   
Helixi

It was pleasure Faerdin. Feel free to drop me a PM if you update this.
AQ DF  Post #: 10
12/22/2011 8:01:25   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Forgot to post here as well that the third Chapter of my story has been completed. Anyone who wishes to read it may do so now.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:20:10 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
12/22/2011 10:38:07   
Jorath
Advocator of Wills

Just read through your story. It's great, but there's a few mistakes:

Prologue: Uprising of Doom
quote:

That Paladin- Artix- may be crazy, but he always knows.

quote:

the terrible might of Sepulchure's influence fading like thick

quote:

The lost soul helplessly stumbled out onto a worn, dirtied path that wove through the grassy forest floor like worn threads of silk.

quote:

fiery gaze of the beast.

Chapter One: Child of Destiny
quote:

For only a moment, the monster lay still beneath Faerdin. With the faint whisper of wind

Chapter Two: Where Malevolence Cannot Reach
quote:

originally one of compassion and kindness

Chapter Three: Clash of the Wills
quote:

Before Drakath could recover,

< Message edited by SalvationXI -- 12/22/2011 12:46:49 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
12/22/2011 16:20:33   
Helixi

^They aren't mistakes in his work.
AQ DF  Post #: 13
12/22/2011 18:46:59   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Helixi is correct; most of those aren't really mistakes, but you did help me correct quite a few errors that I've only just found, and for that I am deeply thankful, Leon ShadowHart. I'm happy to know that you've enjoyed my story thus far! ^_^

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:20:34 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
12/30/2011 17:08:36   
Helixi

quote:

"So, what's he doing with that prisoner?"

"Eh, beats me. As long as we get some gold out of this, I'm not gonna ask any questions."

"Y'know what's for dinner?"

Determined not to give away his position, Faerdin crouched lower behind the thick bushes that concealed him from the view of the Darkwolf Bandits. Nearly an hour had passed as Faerdin patiently observed the leather-clad thieves. Surely they knew that the warriors of Oaklore Keep would attempt a counterattack, since they had kept watch over the entrance to their camp with admirable diligence. However, 1. they never knew that the force they would have to confront had come in the form of a single man.

Scowling as the bandits' incessant chatter grew all the more boisterous, Faerdin instinctively reached down toward his 2. greaves. The knight's eyes 3. widened in genuine surprise as his fingers wrapped around the hardened leather of a knife's hilt. He previously had no idea of the blade's existence. The dull throb caused by his damaged chestplate sent Captain Rolith's parting words rebounding against the walls of his skull once again.

1. 'they did not know'.
2. Why his greaves?
3. WHY?! Even if he borrowed the armour, he should know about the hidden weapons. The idea that he doesn't is completely implausible, Feardin.

quote:

Faerdin would not show these men mercy.. by the Gods, and nor will I.

Deftly, Faerdin drew the dagger from its battle-worn cage and hurled it at the nearest thief with all of his might. Caught mid-sentence by icy steel, the man crumpled like a marionette whose strings were cut. The other bandit fell to his knees with a frightened gasp, cursing to himself as he desperately groped the ground for his weapon. Finally Faerdin raised his blade with a ferocious war-cry, pleased by how 2. deeply the scoundrel before him flinched before bringing his gleaming blade down upon the man.

At the very last moment, the thief swept aside the bloodthirsty bite of Faerdin's sword with an iron club, though it did not stay 3. within his hands for long. With a few decisive strikes, Faerdin tore the clumsy weapon from the thief, sending him running back into the dark recesses of their camp for fear of his own life. A harsh chuckle escaped Faerdin's throat 4. , clearly amused by his foe's lack of fortitude. Falling silent at the telltale patter of leather boots upon soil, Faerdin retreated into the shadows behind a nearby tree.

The man that Faerdin had attacked returned with at least a dozen of his adversaries, all of whom appeared dismayed to find one of their own useless upon the ground. Scarlet blood poured 5. thickly from the wound upon his throat, 6. glittering malevolently like tainted rubies and nearly suffocating his fellow bandits with endless dread.

"Where's the snake who did this?"

1. 'Whose strings had been cut'.
2. 'Hard'. This is because you cannot deeply flinch, but you can flinch hard.
3. 'In' would be fine here.
4. This should be a semicolon and 'he was' should be added before 'clearly' to make the sentence make sense, in my opinion.
5. This word implies the blood is gooey or gloopy. I'd suggest a word like 'freely'.
6. I think the sentence is fine to stop after 'rubies' and the bit about suffocation can go in a new sentence or be taken out entirely.

quote:

"Where'd he go?"

1. "Enough! We're not gonna accomplish anything like this! Let's see if we can find anything down the road!"

Immediately four of the men took off into the darkness of the forest, leaving in their wake a certain calm amongst the other bandits as their 2. [initial feelings of hopelessness dissipated. Finding the perfect opportunity to strike while the thieves talked among themselves, Faerdin truly began to take action. Gathering all of his strength, the warrior leapt from the shadows and wrapped his arm around the neck of an unaware bandit. Before the others could react, Faerdin ruthlessly tightened his grip and 3. bashed the pommel of his sword against his temple.

Heaving the lifeless man to the ground, Faerdin drew his remaining dagger and viciously threw it at another man, impaling his right leg and leaving him 4. helplessly immobilized. Brandishing his blade while the panicked bandits 5. banded together, Faerdin shouted, "Come, cowards! Fight me like an honest man else you shall taste the blood of your brothers upon my sword!" 6. Satisfaction was Faerdin's as he noticed the bitter sting of his words clearly upon the faces of his foes.

Attempting to flank him, two of the bandits leaped forth in order to answer his call. Ducking past one thief's iron club, Faerdin grasped his wrist and ferociously wrenched him toward his ally, sending them both falling to the ground in a confused heap. With a quiet grunt Faerdin kicked at their heads, leaving them unconscious upon the bloodied earth. Another thief boldly rushed forward to aim a powerful, two-handed strike at Faerdin, coaxing the slightest of smiles as he simply raised a hand.

1. I think you need to work on your characters speech. This bit sounds like a lord trying to masquerade as a bandit, which I'm sure wasn't your intention.
2. You said earlier it was endless. This phrase is why your earlier phrase needs rewording.
3. 'caved his skull in with the pommel' might flow better in the context of the sentence.
4. It's one or the other. He's either 'helpless' or 'immobilized' because in this context, they mean exactly the same thing.
5. You need a new word here.
6. That's a very... elaborate way to describe a simple event.

quote:

With a dull clank of wood upon steel, the handle of the bandit's club collided harmlessly with Faerdin's plated forearm. In a movement so elegant and powerful it appeared practiced, Faerdin then ripped the club from the bandit's hands and struck him across the face, staining his gauntlets with the blood of a surely broken nose. Now only four of the men before Faerdin were capable of fighting and, at the sight of their fallen comrades, they appeared to be only all the more unwilling to confront him. "What is this? Won't any of you give me an actual challenge?"

"I can."

The poorly veiled virulence of those few words gave Faerdin cause to become completely still, like a ravenous wolf that had caught the scent of a rabbit. Tightening his grip upon his sword, Faerdin turned toward the entrance of the thieves' meager camp in order to face the man who dared to challenge him.

It wasn't a man. The boy couldn't be any older than seventeen, yet the others seemed to look up to him, awe glittering like starlight within their eyes. Though the violet cloak draped about his shoulders was the only possible sign of wealth, he carried himself as though he were the descendant of a great monarch. Strangely, the boy's raven-black hair refused to shine even in the glorious rays of a retreating sun.

"You came. Fancy meeting you here." Recognizing the voice, Faerdin glanced past the newcomer to find the sole reason for embarking upon such a dangerous quest1. : Lady Celestia. Despite the troublesome journey that lead her to such a place, her robes had remained white and pure like snow. Immediately she ran to Faerdin's side, the determination within her silver eyes and air of authority about her preventing even the most lawless of thieves from ordering her back.

1. This should be a semicolon.

quote:

Arrogance distorting his features, the boy growled, "Allow me to introduce myself, hero. My name is Drakath, and I am the leader of the Darkwolf Bandits and the rightful ruler of this land. Stand down or, like the trash you are, you will be blown away by the winds of my great destiny-!"

Faerdin had been utterly silent throughout "Drakath the rightful ruler's" introduction not because of the boy's speech, but the undeserved arrogance that poisoned his words like arsenic within water. 1. Growing weary of such blind pride, he interrupted, "You talk big, but you don't look very tough, pipsqueak. I was only going to take Lady Celestia and leave you and your men to grovel, but you've just made this personal." The warrior then hooked his fingers around the edges of his helm, prying the worn steel away so that his sapphire hair was free to move with the scarce wind's influence. Casting down the gleaming metal that had imprisoned his sight, Faerdin murmured, "Let us see what you're made of, Drakath."

Incensed by the audacity of Faerdin's display, Drakath howled and prepared a brutal overhead strike. With a lazy flick of his wrist, Faerdin repelled the attack and leaped forward to slash across his chest. Pleasantly astounded to find his blade met by Drakath's, the knight simply began to flow from one ferocious attack to the next. Distress glimmered clearly within Drakath's eyes as he struggled to fend off the experienced duelist that continued to advance with each heartbeat, each stupefying clang of steel upon steel. Sensing two others coming from behind him, Faerdin aimed a spiteful kick at Drakath's chest, pulling a rough grunt from deep within his throat and sending him down onto his knee.

Furious at the 2. poor sportsmanship of his enemies, Faerdin whirled around to hew the throat of one bandit and force the other to flinch terribly. Wishing to dispose of him whilst sparing his worthless life, the warrior 3. mightily kicked between the fork of the his legs, evoking a sharp cry from him before he too fell upon the unforgiving ground. Then Faerdin returned his gaze to the would-be ruler of the land, narrowly evading the razor edge of Drakath's sword as it whistled past. He restricted Drakath's wrist with an unyielding grip and, with a burst of strength, Faerdin heaved him over his shoulder, throwing him ruthlessly down to the ground beside his comrades.

Before Drakath could recuperate, Faerdin ground the wrist of his sword-hand mercilessly into the forest floor beneath the heel of his boot, finally forcing him to relinquish his princely weapon. With the utmost resentment, Drakath mumbled, "You.. were lucky this time, peasant-!"

1. He can't verify Drakath's claims, so he could at least be civil. In addition, Drakath has talked once; clearly the character has a short attention span.
2. They're bandits. How gentlemanly do you expect them to act? That isn't technically a criticism, just something I thought I'd point out.
3. 'In the fork of his legs' or 'between his legs'.

quote:

"Luck had absolutely nothing to do with this, kid." Reluctantly, Faerdin added, "And.. and my name is Faerdin. Remember it before you kidnap or get into any other nonsense again."

A smile so devious formed upon Drakath's face that he couldn't help but feel wary. "Oh I will.. and you can count on that." 1. From nothingness came putrid smoke that instantly stung Faerdin, evoking pained tears from his tortured, golden eyes as he retreated to possibly find fresh air. Once the acrid fumes had dissipated, the warrior found himself simply alone, excluding the company of 2. a certain priestess whose tender smile cleared all evidence of villainy and shadow from the worn and weary world of Lore.

1. Again, this is over-elaborate. I think it needs rewording so people can quickly understand it, not spend several seconds trying to work out what you mean.
2. 'of Celestia'.

As I said before, you have a very overworked writing style. Your writing could be described as 'purple prose', which is never a good thing. You need to find a balance between complex writing and simple writing; using too much of either ruins the effortless feeling of a good narrative.

At the moment, I would describe your work as 'in progress' because while you show flair, talent and a penchant for striking description, you overuse complex sentences, structures and big words where it is unnecessary to do so. By so doing, you discourage your reader from continuing to read as purple prose is, frankly, rather irritating at times.
AQ DF  Post #: 15
12/31/2011 4:29:25   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Gah.. I did not expect such simple mistakes of myself. Perhaps I am being too careful as opposed to being too careless. Anyways, I appreciate your work and I have posted the edited parts of my latest chapter. The edited parts have been made bold, if you wish to review it.
quote:

"So, what's he doing with that prisoner?"

"Eh, beats me. As long as we get some gold out of this, I'm not gonna ask any questions."

"Y'know what's for dinner?"

Determined not to give away his position, Faerdin crouched lower behind the thick bushes that concealed him from the view of the Darkwolf Bandits. Nearly an hour had passed as Faerdin patiently observed the leather-clad thieves. Surely they knew that the warriors of Oaklore Keep would attempt a counterattack, since they had kept watch over the entrance to their camp with admirable diligence. However, they did not know that the force they would have to confront had come in the form of a single man.

Scowling as the bandits' incessant chatter grew all the more boisterous, Faerdin instinctively reached down toward the top of his boot. The knight's eyes widened in genuine surprise as his fingers wrapped around the hardened leather of a knife's hilt. He previously had no idea of the blade's existence, nor could he truly remember anything before the events that took place in the forest. The dull throb caused by his damaged chestplate sent Captain Rolith's parting words rebounding against the walls of his skull once again.
quote:

Faerdin would not show these men mercy.. by the Gods, and nor will I.

Deftly, Faerdin drew the dagger from its battle-worn cage and hurled it at the nearest thief with all of his might. Caught mid-sentence by icy steel, the man crumpled like a marionette whose strings had been cut. The other bandit fell to his knees with a frightened gasp, cursing to himself as he desperately groped the ground for his weapon. Finally Faerdin raised his blade with a ferocious war-cry, pleased by how hard the scoundrel before him flinched. With a burst of speed, Faerdin leapt from his hiding place and brought his gleaming blade down upon the man.

At the very last moment, the thief swept aside the bloodthirsty bite of Faerdin's sword with an iron club, though it did not stay in his hands for long. With a few decisive strikes, Faerdin tore the clumsy weapon from the thief, sending him running back into the dark recesses of their camp for fear of his own life. A harsh chuckle escaped Faerdin's throat, clearly amused by his foe's lack of fortitude. Falling silent at the telltale patter of leather boots upon soil, Faerdin retreated into the shadows behind a nearby tree.

The man that Faerdin had attacked returned with at least a dozen of his adversaries, all of whom appeared dismayed to find one of their own useless upon the ground. Scarlet blood poured freely from the wicked wound upon his throat, glittering malevolently like tainted rubies. Outrage and the slightest trace of fear was evident in their voices.

"Where's the snake who did this?"
quote:

"Where'd he go?"

"Quiet down! We're not gonna accomplish anything like this! Let's look for the filthy coward!"

Immediately four of the men took off into the darkness of the forest, leaving in their wake a certain calm amongst the other bandits as their initial feelings of hopelessness faded. Finding the perfect opportunity to strike while the thieves talked among themselves, Faerdin truly began to take action. Gathering all of his strength, the warrior leapt from the shadows and wrapped his arm around the neck of an unaware bandit. Before the others could react, Faerdin ruthlessly tightened his grip and caved in his skull with the pommel of his sword.

Heaving the lifeless man to the ground, Faerdin drew his remaining dagger and viciously threw it at another man, impaling his right leg and leaving him immobilized. Brandishing his blade while the panicked bandits attempted to rally themselves, Faerdin shouted, "Come, cowards! Fight me like an honest man else you shall taste the blood of your brothers upon my sword!" Satisfaction was Faerdin's as he noticed the bitter sting of his words upon the faces of his foes.

Attempting to flank him, two of the bandits leaped forth in order to answer his call. Ducking past one thief's iron club, Faerdin grasped his wrist and ferociously wrenched him toward his ally, sending them both falling to the ground in a confused heap. With a quiet grunt Faerdin kicked at their heads, leaving them unconscious upon the bloodied earth. Another thief boldly rushed forward to aim a powerful, two-handed strike at Faerdin, coaxing the slightest of smiles from him as he simply raised his hand.
quote:

With a dull clank of wood upon steel, the handle of the bandit's club collided harmlessly with Faerdin's plated forearm. In a movement so elegant and powerful it appeared practiced, Faerdin then ripped the club from the bandit's hands and struck him across the face, staining his gauntlets with the blood of a surely broken nose. Now only four of the men before Faerdin were capable of fighting and, at the sight of their fallen comrades, they appeared to be only all the more unwilling to confront him. "What is this? Won't any of you give me an actual challenge?"

"I can."

The poorly veiled virulence of those few words gave Faerdin cause to become completely still, like a ravenous wolf that had caught the scent of a rabbit. Tightening his grip upon his sword, Faerdin turned toward the entrance of the thieves' meager camp in order to face the man who dared to challenge him.

It wasn't a man. The boy couldn't be any older than seventeen, yet the others seemed to look up to him, awe glittering like starlight within their eyes. Though the violet cloak draped about his shoulders was the only possible sign of wealth, he carried himself as though he were the descendant of a great monarch. Strangely, the boy's raven-black hair refused to shine even in the glorious rays of a retreating sun.

"You came. Fancy meeting you here." Recognizing the voice, Faerdin glanced past the newcomer to find the sole reason for embarking upon such a dangerous quest; Lady Celestia. Despite the troublesome journey that lead her to such a place, her robes had remained white and pure like snow. Immediately she ran to Faerdin's side, the determination within her silver eyes and air of authority about her preventing even the most lawless of thieves from ordering her back.
quote:

With barely contained rage distorting his features, the boy growled, "Allow me to introduce myself, hero. My name is Drakath, and I am the leader of the Darkwolf Bandits and the rightful ruler of this land. Stand down or, like the trash you are, you will be blown away by the winds of my great destiny-!"

Faerdin had been utterly silent throughout "Drakath the rightful ruler's" introduction not because of the boy's speech, but the undeserved arrogance that poisoned his words like arsenic within water. Growing weary of such tactless and conceited words, he interrupted, "You talk big, but you don't look very tough, pipsqueak. I was only going to take Lady Celestia and leave you and your men to grovel, but you've just made this personal." The warrior then hooked his fingers around the edges of his helm, prying the worn steel away so that his sapphire hair was free to move with the scarce wind's influence. Casting down the gleaming metal that had imprisoned his sight, Faerdin murmured, "Let us see what you're made of, Drakath."

Incensed by the audacity of Faerdin's display, Drakath howled and prepared a brutal overhead strike. With a lazy flick of his wrist, Faerdin repelled the attack and leaped forward to slash across his chest. Pleasantly astounded to find his blade met by Drakath's, the knight simply began to flow from one ferocious attack to the next. Distress glimmered clearly within Drakath's eyes as he struggled to fend off the experienced duelist that continued to advance with each heartbeat, each stupefying clang of steel upon steel. Sensing two others coming from behind him, Faerdin aimed a spiteful kick at Drakath's chest, pulling a rough grunt from deep within his throat and sending him down onto his knee.

Endlessly delighted by the poor sportsmanship his opponents had resorted to, Faerdin whirled around to hew the throat of one bandit and force the other to flinch. Wishing to dispose of him whilst sparing his worthless life, the warrior mightily kicked in the fork of his legs, evoking a sharp cry from him before he too fell upon the unforgiving ground. Then Faerdin returned his gaze to the would-be ruler of the land, narrowly evading the razor edge of Drakath's sword as it whistled past. He restricted Drakath's wrist with an unyielding grip and, with a burst of strength, Faerdin heaved him over his shoulder, throwing him ruthlessly down to the ground beside his comrades.

Before Drakath could recuperate, Faerdin ground the wrist of his sword-hand mercilessly into the forest floor beneath the heel of his boot, finally forcing him to relinquish his princely weapon. With the utmost resentment, Drakath mumbled, "You.. were lucky this time, peasant-!"
quote:

"Luck had absolutely nothing to do with this, kid." Reluctantly, Faerdin added, "And.. and my name is Faerdin. Remember it before you kidnap or get into any other nonsense again."

A smile so devious formed upon Drakath's face that he couldn't help but feel wary. "Oh I will.. and you can count on that." From nothingness came putrid smoke that instantly stung Faerdin's eyes, leaving him no other choice but to retreat in an attempt to find fresh air. Once the acrid fumes had dissipated, the warrior found himself simply alone, excluding the company of Lady Celestia, whose tender smile cleared all evidence of villainy and shadow from the worn and weary world of Lore.
Edit: I took the time just now to edit some of my chapters. I tried to keep my descriptions a little flowery whilst avoiding "purple prose."

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:20:58 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
1/3/2012 6:20:18   
Helixi

quote:

I tried to keep my descriptions a little flowery whilst avoiding "purple prose."

From what I can see, it's already much better. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need help. :)
AQ DF  Post #: 17
1/3/2012 6:22:44   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

That I shall, madame! I might not have time to write more for a little while, but the moment I finish the next chapter, I'll contact you.
Expect a visit from me in your MtAK Thread!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/3/2012 3:21:11 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
2/3/2012 3:26:40   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

After a while of neglecting this story, I have finally finished Chapter Four. I wrote all of this in a single night and I am very tired, so forgive me if there are a considerable amount of errors.
Chapter 5 is up now!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 2/6/2012 18:10:46 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> The Work Table >> [Critique Requested] Faerdin, or The Shadow of Ignorance
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition