Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

A Nihilist's Escape - Short Prose and Semiprose by Acid001

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> A Nihilist's Escape - Short Prose and Semiprose by Acid001
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/22/2011 3:33:06   
Acid001

Foreword - skip if bored

This is a collection of the short stories I've crafted over the past couple of months. I've been writing for a long time, and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. These stories are reflections of my growth as a writer; they're far from perfect, and that's why I'm pumping them out into the public domain for criticism and feedback.

That's all. Oh, one more thing: all of my works are licensed thus.

Here is the discussion thread.

Happy reading!

< Message edited by Acid001 -- 11/22/2011 4:20:49 >
AQ  Post #: 1
11/22/2011 3:35:52   
Acid001

Progress

When Dad was young, he had a computer grafted to his body. It was so cool. It had the internet, games, the whole set. And here’s the clever part: it was powered by blood.

“But Doc,” said Dad, on the operating table, “isn’t that dangerous?”
“Not at all, son,” said the wise old doctor. “There’s plenty of blood in that young body of yours, and it’s not like you can run out.”

It was a miracle; a whole generation of walking datastores, running on nought but oxygen and haemoglobin. A new stage of evolution. It fast became the norm, and the progress-hating sceptics were mocked. Nobel Prizes showered down on inventors, engineers and upgraders. It was a good few years for humanity.

But, turns out they screwed up. Some error with the power intake. It was universal. Goddamn machines bled people dry. Folks were dropping dead in their cars, falling off bicycles, drowning at the beach. Nobody knew why, as they drifted off; they just got all hypoxic and sleepy. It was painless, more or less. The blood just got sucked away from their brains. Everyone died.

But not before they bred a generation of haemophiliacs.
AQ  Post #: 2
11/22/2011 3:37:33   
Acid001

The Grace of Eternity

“Hold me against that fading light,” said She, with tears that traced the corners of her smile, “and make it worth the hours til the morning.”
“The hours are worthy in themselves,” replied He. “What could you wish but for their bittersweet enchantments: cold sand that’s hard beneath your feet; the moon and pantheon of stars?”
“I could but wish for you, my love,” sang She unto the whistling gale, “and all of us, and pray that fate permits us inseparability, that we won’t be let to wither apart.”

And then they cheered, along the beach, for the words she spoke were sacrosanct.

I felt intrusive in their sacred cove, where the rhythmic static of crashing waves and distant shrill of forceful winds were conjured for their cause. They were the figures of my dreams; conceptions brought to life through nights of lonely prayer that when I woke my world would blur its corners and resemble the dream I knew it should become.

I stood upon the threshold, crushing blades of plastic grass beneath my shoes, and watched the moonlit ballet I’d spent my seconds dreaming I would watch. They leapt and laughed within each other’s arms, enjoying the night and company with which it was synonymous. Theirs was a friendship; I’d only read about such things, or imagined them in my vivid dreams as I stared awake into glassy world of sport and maths and solitude.

I watched them run along the shore; a holy order, each one ordained on nothing more than a vow permitting none to leave and none to die. Their thrill was of each other, their joy of the life through which they danced. And their axel was the pillar rising from the sand: He and She, locked within each other’s arms, a mighty Yggdrasil, inseparable and intrinsic. A tangible god.

With open arms and smiling eyes that offered me the moon they turned to me. I kicked aside my shoes and let the shadows swallow them, strewn with tendrils trailing somewhere across the scrub behind. They welcomed me into their dance and we let our spirits intertwine.

In that moment I became the moon, the sand, the wind, the waves and the night, and I knew by the grace of eternity that we would never die.

< Message edited by Acid001 -- 11/22/2011 3:38:29 >
AQ  Post #: 3
11/22/2011 3:47:36   
Acid001

Linear Perspective

When I was studying for my journalism BA, I worked part-time at a café that ran at a loss because the managers were too hip for profit. One opens and closes every year in every city: the produce was exquisite, the coffee fresh and smuggled from deep in the Colombian underground, but the prices were insane and suited only to a clientele of five or six regulars who ate and drank themselves broke out of consumerist loyalty. Anyway, I applied for the job because it was a ten-minute walk from the flat I was sharing with four of my friends from my high-school.

They turned me down at first. I wasn’t really expecting much; my CV was practically blank, and I didn’t have good grades or references to lean on. But mostly, I think they couldn’t afford staff. They were polite and apologetic and offered me change for a taxi home.

No, I replied, I only live around the corner.

It’s getting dark, they said, Arty can walk with you; he’s going that way anyway.

Arty, it transpired, was their sole employee: kitchen, coffee and front-of-house. Of course I declined the offer, but ten minutes later Arty and I were walking down the cobbled roadway swathed in idyllic pink sunset, moving slowly and making small-talk like new lovers too sober to hold hands.

Well, that’s how I saw us. The thought never occurred to Arty. I found him intense at first, but he was so confident in himself that the ice couldn’t help but melt. He was about my age, and full of words and concepts. He talked about the waves of ailing sunlight diffused by atmospheric moisture and turned pink; he talked about linear perspective and why the sides of the pathway seemed to converge on the horizon. I knew that if we’d met in high-school, my friends and I’d have hated him on principle. But when we arrived at my front door after a handful of minutes, I found myself regretting the parting wave I’d had to give this good-natured philosopher.

Arty ran into me the next evening as I was walking home from uni. We didn’t talk for long; he just smiled sweetly and told me to come to the café whenever I was free, so we could negotiate my timetable.

I’ve never been certain how Arty got me the job, or why. I guess he liked me. And, hell, he must’ve been lonely on his own in that desolate shop. I worked weekdays from three til close, all day during summer, and I looked forward to it. That’s what I miss the most, I realise now, about that naïve prelude to the real world: the ability to earn money and enjoy it. I thrived on our conversation; I would complain about life and boys and college, and he’d listen and guide me through these travesties with wisdom from Nietzsche or Bentham or Freud. I asked him a few times which uni he studied at; he always found a way to avoid that line of conversation.

We had a busy day one hot summer at the end of my first year. It hit us like debris from the sky, and was just as unexpected. Tensions were high for both of us; we weren’t used to the heat or the work. I took orders and he prepared food, that was the system, but it got muddled in the stupidity of the situation. I found myself in the kitchen, throwing wraps and sandwiches together and spilling jars of olives along the ground. Arty was memorising the orders and dictating them to me. I told him to write them down; I think I screamed it at him a few times. He refused to touch the pen or the order pad. Mistakes were made, customers were neglected, meals were returned. By lunchtime, we had to tell everyone to leave.

I haven’t seen Arty for years, but I think of him whenever I see a bright-eyed kid in dirty clothes collecting welfare money, or working some senseless job for less than the minimum wage. I think of that boy with all those brains in his head who should have gone to university but spent his best years working behind the counter of a failing café, sacrificing his own wage so that his managers could afford to employ for him a friend, all because through some quirk of neurology he was unable to write. He had brilliance behind his eyes, but he couldn’t put it on paper. And, through years of being known by his peers as illiterate and stupid, neither did he want to. My life and career have been founded on the staggering power of the written word, but when it comes making or breaking humans, its light is pale and weak beside the destructive supernova of the spoken one.

And as I watch those poor kids in the street through my thousand-dollar lenses and think of Arty, I feel so damn guilty.

< Message edited by Acid001 -- 11/22/2011 3:52:16 >
AQ  Post #: 4
11/22/2011 3:49:04   
Acid001

The Persistence of Love

I’ll build for you a ziggurat of clay,
and when in years they dig it up
they’ll see our names engraved in hearts
and wonder what they mean.
AQ  Post #: 5
12/5/2011 9:11:06   
Acid001

Minute in Retrospect

We were in the back row while his father gave that impersonal whitewashed fifteen-minute lie of a eulogy to great-uncles and third-cousins his son had never met. His mother sat in front, accepting empty non-verbal consolations with a delicate, almost practiced hand. Teardrop falsehoods fell from her cheeks and the tip of her nose. The insincere solemnity of the place kept me from scoffing. Ours were the only true tears in the room.

There was a berth around us, his friends. Rows of empty pews fanned in a neat pattern, like the radius of an explosion, like we were diseased. They kept us away from the wasted shell of the beautiful man who mattered more to us than anything had ever mattered to them. He was all that could ever matter, and now he was gone.

He never wanted this; the congregation of suits, the cross and the steeple, the priest sermonising over his coffin. It would have offended him. That kind of thing did. I thought back to when I proposed, that idyllic autumn before everything sank. He laughed at first, then told me why he couldn’t. It was an offense, he said, both to our world and to the extraneous fools who believed in marriage. It was a formality we didn’t need, and a jeer we didn’t need to make. He said no, but then he kissed me and I couldn’t have been happier.

That was before the drugs and the debt, the vice and cliché that function to ruin men in their primes. It happens to the rich, of course, not to us; it happens in good books, not in our own tiny lengths of human experience from which we read them to escape. Maybe that’s why he did it. Maybe while he destroyed the friends who loved him, he was living the Byronic fantasy he had always quietly resented the world for not being able to provide him with. He was trying to build refined extravagance in a time that didn’t suit it.

I looked back at his parents. The proceedings were finishing, and they were on their feet returning consolatory embraces and shaking with jejune, obligatory grief. Neither was among the pallbearers, and neither followed their son to his grave. When they left the church they ignored us fully, trying with the breadth of their passive might to harm us, to land a vengeful strike on the ones who had somehow killed their son. It was then that my eyes stung the most; not because their efforts had hurt me, but because I lamented the injustice. It was all so very wrong.

It was us who stood by the headstone, long after they had vanished with their friends to some faceless country pub to forget they’d ever had a son. The stone was solid grey and unassuming, engraved with plain words in a plain font. There he lay, destined to be forgotten by the annals of history, forever lifeless in the cold sentry of hindsight. My eyes caught those of an old liver-spotted groundkeeper in the distance. He bowed his head and dipped his hat below his eyes. I felt understood for the first time in weeks.

We’re the ones who’ll remember him. We’re the ones who’ll grieve for him. For them, this funeral was only the final nervous spasm of a death that had occurred long before.
AQ  Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> A Nihilist's Escape - Short Prose and Semiprose by Acid001
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition