Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: (DF) The Tales of Faerdin Eilrua Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (DF) The Tales of Faerdin Eilrua Discussion Thread
Page 8 of 8«<45678
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/18/2014 21:50:56   
Glais

More interested in Rune Knight continuations really.
DF MQ  Post #: 176
8/18/2014 21:56:16   
Razen

I agree with that.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 177
8/18/2014 22:50:47   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

As do I.
DF  Post #: 178
8/19/2014 14:54:01   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

I have wanted for some time to continue writing He Who Stands Between- it's been nearly a year since my last post, and even that was only to create a new chapter between two existing ones- but I have been facing a lot of difficulty in arranging a proper time to collaborate with my writing partner. The chapters at the royal ball are a bit of a collaborative effort since it is not only Faerdin's story being told, and they are pieces I cannot write on my own.

We are hoping to make some progress really soon and start pushing out chapters for Rune Knight in a more timely manner (The first will involve Faerdin and Aurauris meeting, the next will be an awkward conversation between Valen and an original character of Aurauris', and the ones following are where some serious stuff is going to go down in the court).

@DD: Almost missed your question! To clarify: Shadow of Ignorance is done. It was essentially a novelization of DragonFable, and unless it becomes a thing that people really want to see (For the most part it really isn't), I will not be continuing it any further. Even if I were to continue the story, it would not be without some kind of massive anomaly to distinguish it from DragonFable's main story.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 8/19/2014 14:56:29 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 179
8/24/2014 15:21:46   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Alright, Chapter Twelve of He Who Stands Between is finally out. It might be a little rough around the edges since I quickly adapted it from the roleplay we were using to act out what was happening, but I think it should be fine.

Get ready for Three's Company: Medieval Edition, because we have a wacky misunderstanding!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 8/24/2014 15:22:48 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 180
8/24/2014 16:18:23   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

It is looking like a pretty good chapter.

I'm seeing some stuff which I'm not sure if they need mentioning, but one thing I do know for certain and that is the following. Since Faerdin is a half-water elf and in his thoughts he calls the occasion "a celebration of unity between all denizens of Lore" are there any elves present at the festivities? I'm asking because Faerdin's new love interest's father mistakes him for a noble and half-water elves would certainly look out of the ordinary, even more so than full-blooded elves. I would think it would be impossible for such a child to be unknown of within the circles of nobility. However, if there were elves present then I could see the father mistake him for an elven noble.

< Message edited by Dwelling Dragonlord -- 8/24/2014 17:00:07 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 181
8/24/2014 16:57:40   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Faerdin was very fortunate in that the only traits he received from his mother were really his pointed ears and skin that is a touch paler than the average human. He could be easily mistaken for nobility given his clothing (Which he borrowed from Valen, and is bound to be very expensive) and the fact Aurauris' father was suffering a kind of crisis of his own at the time. His ears would be noticeable, but all the man could really see was his face and his clothing.

As for the occasion... There are emissaries of Sek-Duat, visitors from Dragesvard in the Frozen North, and even strangers from distant lands... But there are no elves present. Which makes the statement a tad ironic.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 182
9/15/2014 5:35:06   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Just had a brainstorming session with Aurauris and may soon embark upon a complete rewrite of He Who Stands Between to incorporate this new look at the story. Here are some of the notes I wrote down if you would like to see!

spoiler:

New Beginnings: Faerdin completes the trials to become a fully-fledged Rune Knight at the age of seventeen despite his fear of Water and Fire. He is about to take part in a ceremony called The Pledge, where a newly inducted member of the Hand of the Avatars pledges their fealty to the Elemental Lords. But Faerdin is unsure whether it is right to pledge his whole being to a higher power.

The Mysterious Stranger that Faerdin had met in the woods disrupts the ceremony, however, and gives the elder members of the Hand just cause to summon and commune with the Elemental Lords through their Avatars, whereupon they give the Prophecy. When Faerdin overcomes his fears of Fire and Water and achieves inner balance within himself to defeat Xan and then Sepulchure, he ackowledges the power he had within him all along and learns that Elemental Lords seek not his fealty to themselves, but to Faerdin himself.

The Nature of the Soul: The soul is an integral part of the human body, but it is also profoundly impacted by the state of the Elemental Planes. This why people are unstable in times of great elemental unrest, why SoulWeavers who unlock the potential within themselves become spirits of elements representative of their personality and identity, and why the Sigil of the Avatars unlocks the ability to channel power from the Planes (And use of Runes). To Rune Knights, their soul is itself a portal or a gateway to the Elemental Planes themselves. This is- by extension- why Faerdin is unstable after the Shattering of the Elemental Orbs. The Elemental Planes are reeling from losing their most powerful artifacts and the Elemental Planes of Fire, Ice, and Darkness are still unbearably weak. Since Faerdin- as the last Rune Knight- is almost a bridge between Lore and the Planes, he is being ravaged and torn apart at the very soul from the conclusion of Book One onwards.

Devotion: This will also be a major theme in Rune Knight, He Who Stands Between. Some forms of devotion included will be that of love (Faerdin and Aurauris), fanaticism (The Hand of the Avatars), and unhealthy obsession (Valen and Lynaria).

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 9/15/2014 5:38:06 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 183
9/15/2014 8:52:21   
Razen

Wait...

spoiler:

For Nature of the Soul, wouldn't Faerdin first be affected by the death of Cryozen? Then there was the death of Akriloth, and finally the death of the Mysterious StrangeDragon(superior name :P) had hurt the plane of Darkness due to the massive toll of the deaths of the darkness elementals that had coalesced with him to become the fully fledged Mysterious StrangeDragon. I mostly say this because you refer to the destruction of the elemental orbs as the breaking point, yet the specific elementals that are targeted were weakened by events that were, all but one, disregarding the destruction the elemental orbs which suggests that the equal destruction of the elemental orbs didn't affect the strength of the elements.

I also find it somewhat odd that Fire and Water are the two elements which Faerdin wishes to evade. Fire is understandable from a natural standpoint, and I would suppose that the fear of water is due to the general disdain that he received/receives due to being half water elf?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 184
9/15/2014 14:13:50   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

spoiler:

Losing Akriloth and Cryozen would have hurt Faerdin very much as well, but the combined assault of killing the Stranger and the shattering the Elemental Orbs (Together referred to as the Shattering, as the events are essentially one and the same) would have been too much to handle. And it is true that shattering the Ultimate Orb would have no discernible impact on the balance of the elements in relation to one another. But it would still be more than enough of a shock to evoke a recoil from the Elemental Planes- and possibly even make them weaker as a whole.

As for his fear of Fire and Water... As you just said, Fire is Faerdin's natural elemental weakness. But Water has a different story. I am not sure if I have ever explained this before.

spoiler:

Faerdin's very first days after being born were spent in Tethys with his mother (Water elf) and his father (A human and a Rune Knight) as they worked to investigate some strange whispering that came from the abyss. Through their efforts, the Water Orb was able to repel this evil's influence for some time but was still able to speak with those who were weak of mind... Like a baby, for example.

The water elves discovered Faerdin and were about as happy as any other human would be to find their kind spawning "half-breeds." So Faerdin's mother and father were both forced the flee the city despite having been responsible for the water elves' extended security against the evil below- the former being killed in the process. The escape was very traumatizing.

So yes. Faerdin really, really doesn't like the water.

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 9/15/2014 14:14:42 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 185
10/14/2014 10:03:03   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

I just finished "Knighted", and I have to say; you never cease to impress me with your work. The play on words was beautifully descriptive, and the fast paced tone was just perfect. Well done!
DF  Post #: 186
10/14/2014 13:14:24   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

Thank you! Like I wrote in the foreword, I had a lot of fun writing this, so I'm happy that it was an enjoyable read!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 187
10/13/2015 23:00:21   
Faerdin
Rune Knight

*Dusts off his thread with a smile*

The rewrites for Faerdin's story are coming. Here is an update on the state of affairs thus far.

1) He Who Stands Between and associated works are henceforth noncanonical.
2) Faerdin is still distantly elven, but his race will have no relation to the story.
3) By extension, racial tension is no longer a part of the Rune Knights' history. There will even be characters of different and oft unspoken races on Lore who are a part of the Rune Knights. One of Faerdin's friends will be an orc, for example. This also means that Lestrad and his affiliates are not returning to the story.
4) Rune Knights are no longer affiliated with Guardians or DragonLords.
5) There are three planned installments for Faerdin's story:

• He Who Stands Between: The origin story of Faerdin and introduction to Rune Knights.
  • An Elegy to Light: Faerdin stations himself in Swordhaven, meeting characters like Aurauris and Sir Valen.
  • The Origin of All Things: ??? Ynngup klth drg tgnn.

There are more changes that will make themselves apparent as time progresses -- such as restructuring of Rune Knight society, customs, and even their magic in and of itself -- but I will save that for the story. Expect a first chapter for the all-new He Who Stands Between sometime soon! I am really excited to leap right back in. :)
  • AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 188
    10/27/2015 18:01:52   
    dragon_monster

Hi I enjoy your work.First you are a great writer and I am still trying to finish your works. My question to you is do you find it difficult to write while respecting the rules like do not make a wall of text make sure that people know who is talking do not use the same words to much etc. And if you do what is your solution.
    I am not saying you do not respect them because you do so I am not misunderstood I am asking to understand how to you manage to make such great work while respecting them.

< Message edited by dragon_monster -- 10/27/2015 18:15:58 >
    AQ DF MQ  Post #: 189
    10/28/2015 1:31:53   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

Hey there, dragon! Though it's been some time since I was last able to commit to any significant length of writing -- and indeed feel that I am much improved since my more recent works -- it really makes me happy to know there's still someone enjoying my stories. Things have been a bit hectic on my end as of late, but I'm hoping to have more for you very soon. I'm getting more excited by the day to continue Faerdin's story. :)

As for your question... Well, there is no one answer, and the ones you find may not always be easy. My advice would be to make note of the little things you can overlook, like the spacing, differentiation in dialogue, word variation, etc. and practice. Practice, practice, practice whenever you have the chance. All the great writers out there -- Steinbeck, Asimov, Tolkien, to name a few -- did not develop overnight. A Midsummer Night's Dream was not written in a single evening. Look ceaselessly for ways to improve and try to define your own style of writing.

If you want some more specific advice on what is troubling you, I will offer this:

1) You can use new paragraphs (Or paragraph breaks, as it may alternatively be known) not only to format your writing or differentiate dialogue between characters, but also to shift your writing to a new topic -- or even emphasize certain ideas, or affect the pace of the story. There is a lot you can do with spacing. Here is an example with no spacing:

Little Timmy fell to the concrete and clutched his knee with a wail. When he pulled his hand away, it was covered in blood.

With spacing:

Little Timmy fell to the concrete and clutched his knee with a wail.

When he pulled his hand away, it was covered in blood.

Separating the idea almost adds a layer of drama to Timmy's unfortunate collision with the asphalt. In these ways, writing can be affected by delivery and pacing in the same way that acting performances are -- albeit to a lesser extent. Spacing is a good way to start with that.

2) If you feel that your writing lacks a certain variation in the words that you use, your first instinct may be to look at a thesaurus -- and it is a fine solution at that. I can attest to the usefulness of thesauruses myself. But I have learned from personal experience -- and you may find this yourself in my older works -- that it can be quite a slippery slope. You might find an excellent, powerful word to use and incorporate into your vocabulary, but you can just as easily find yourself trying to cram archaic, overly complex, or downright inappropriate words for the context of your story.

Which flows better? What sounds most natural to you? Would you or your characters realistically use these words? These are questions you have to answer yourself when broadening your vocabulary. To bring up Little Timmy's scenario once again for an example (Sorry Timmy):

Good:

When he pulled his hand away, it was covered in blood.

Bad:

When he pulled his hand away, it was coated in his humors.

"STOP TRYING TO MAKE HUMORS HAPPEN. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN."

Anywho, that is all I have to say. If you have any other questions, you are always welcome to my thoughts on the topic. Just don't forget that -- at the end of the day -- the best person to help your writing is you!

< Message edited by Faerdin -- 10/28/2015 1:34:30 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 190
    10/29/2015 12:59:19   
    Warmonger DragonJax
    Creative!

@Fae: This is the kind of Tips I needed for my story too which I have to start from scratch cause it got erased but maybe using your suggestions to dragon_monster ,might improve my own writing style and yeah,I have not yet finished reading he who stand between or any of your stories.I think it is time to read your stuff,hope it is literary gold ;)
    Post #: 191
    10/29/2015 14:38:53   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

Ouch! That's some tough luck, man. Rewriting out of choice is one thing, but rewriting because you lost everything is just the worst. :(

Good luck on your new stories, DragonJax! If my post up there was any help at all, I will be content.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 192
    10/31/2015 15:06:49   
    Chaosweaver Amon
    Friendly!

Glad to see you back, Faerdin! Just wanted to pop in and mention that I'm really looking forward to your new story rewrites! Good luck with them, I'm sure they'll be fantastic! :)
    DF  Post #: 193
    11/1/2015 13:58:29   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

Thanks, Amon! I really hope they turn out better than my older stuff -- I feel like I've gotten better since then. D:

Just wrote up a really quick little preview: A Vision of the Future to Come

It's really short, but it has little hints of all the good stuff!
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 194
    10/23/2017 21:15:15   
    Faerdin
    Rune Knight

Whoa. Whoooah. Blast from the past, am I right?

I think it's about time to say that my Artix Entertainment-inspired writing has come to an end. Work on rune knights slowly but surely continues, but it will be adapted as a story of its own rather than being grounded in the world of Lore. The more I developed and made choices for the knights and their universe, and the universe of DragonFable's Lore by extension, the more tension I felt in the two concepts. It came to a point where I had to ask myself: do I want to rein in ideas I'd very much like to execute on account of how radically it would impose my own interpretation of Lore on DragonFable? And do I really want to beholden myself and the knights to DragonFable's canonicity where it least appeals to me? Separation feels like the only recourse.

After some consideration, I'm keeping my old works here. It's often that writers here in the Legends and Lore Forum remove their previous works after developing their concepts beyond Artix Entertainment, but I'd like to keep them as a testament to DragonFable's influence on my capabilities as a writer. While there are a good number of stories and poems that I don't look on fondly, there may yet be someone who enjoys them, and that's really what's most important at the end of the day. I did my best to pore over and fix any broken links that I happened to come across (Photobucket, we're having a talk), but if anyone's out there, don't hesitate to let me know if I missed anything.

If any old bones from the L&L Forums would like to know how my writing is doing, you know where to find me. I'll still be on Discord, Twitter, and I'll still be connected to the AE Forums.

It was a pleasure. :)

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 195
    12/20/2017 21:19:14   
    Glais

Glad you're leaving it up. I still check in the old stories I used to follow out of nostalgia. AE was such a big part of my childhood that something always brings me back. Wishing you the best of luck as your writing ventures continue.
    DF MQ  Post #: 196
    Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
    All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> AE Fanfiction Discussion >> RE: (DF) The Tales of Faerdin Eilrua Discussion Thread
    Page 8 of 8«<45678
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition