Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

AQ Encyclopedia Info Submission

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [AE Forum Resources] >> Forum Support and Suggestions >> AQ Encyclopedia Info Submission
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/28/2011 1:10:35   
UltraGuy

Lately, the corrections to the write-up entries in the AQ Encyclopedia Info Submission board have been quite messy and as a result, it is difficult to navigate around the board to find needed information. Instead, if these corrections were messaged to the user responsible for the write-up, the board would be free from the critique not everyone would like to see. Also, I have noticed the format for submissions are quite inconsistent. Perhaps a standard template could resolve this? These are only my opinions, I would like to read yours.

EDIT: I noticed, for the past few months, that there are some members there who do write-ups who use incorrect grammar. And I though: this is the AQ pedia, grammar is important. So guys do you think it would be good if correct grammar would be maintained in the AQ Pedia (not in the info subs)? I understand that there are some members here who do speak English as their second language (I am one of those members)...

< Message edited by UltraGuy -- 1/13/2012 11:36:52 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 1
11/28/2011 1:24:45   
Chii
Legendary KoO Snugglebunny

We're all submitting to the same source. Why should the veracity of a thread be dependent upon whether or not the original poster bothered to have PMs enabled?
AQ  Post #: 2
11/28/2011 1:31:16   
UltraGuy

That's a very good question, Chii. To be honest, I still can't find a solution to that. Perhaps, there should be an AQ group dedicated to AQ Enyclopedia write-up makers. Similar to the DF group, Dragonpedia Masters. This AQ Group will have access to override PM disables.

< Message edited by UltraGuy -- 11/28/2011 4:53:58 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 3
11/28/2011 1:40:18   
Chii
Legendary KoO Snugglebunny

That sounds like an awful lot of work for avoiding the secondary solution, which is "Just use the thread provided for this." Is there really so much clutter that it's presenting a problem to the AKs to collect that data?
AQ  Post #: 4
11/28/2011 2:41:16   
  Grixus Faldor

The AQ Encyclopedia is a collaborative project, PMing someone to get them to correct their own mistakes just sounds like a "I want my pride left intact" thing to me, no offence. The clutter is not inherently problematic and why fix what ain't broke? No one else has raised this issue up as far as I can see.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
11/28/2011 3:03:45   
zippy2010

^ ^ this and multiple pms from different users telling you about the same mistake will unnecessarily clog your inbox
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
11/28/2011 4:50:44   
UltraGuy

And you can, however, delete those PMs, if you wish.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 7
11/28/2011 15:29:41   
  Scakk
Beyond

quote:

ORIGINAL: UltraGuy

I think it would be better if there were a rule imposed in AQ Encyclopedia Info Submission saying that no one should correct the write-up maker. That way, there will be less clutter.
If a user wishes to correct, for example, me , he/she must PM me and we can have a chat about my write-ups.
Also, I think there should be a template for write-ups. That way, people would stop posting write-ups with incorrect template. This should also apply in the WF IS.

I have all the templates; from no special weapons to 100% special weapons, from pets to spells to armors. I have them all. I could post them if you guys want though.

I do not see any reason why people should PM people to point out an error or a correction that needs to be made. That could lead to a person getting numerous PMs on the same things. Some people post the information in Info Sub and do not return to the forums until the next event comes out , a week or so.

Templates can be provided for all to use, however not everything will work in a given template. Some people also are there just to give the imformation they know or understand, not all comprehend the math , and as such would not need the templates.

quote:

That's a very good question, Chii. To be honest, I still can't find a solution to that. Perhaps, there should be an AQ group dedicated to AQ Enyclopedia write-up makers. Similar to the DF group, Dragonpedia Masters. This AQ Group will have access to override PM disables.

As for the DF Pedia Masters Group. That group allows those in that group to post actual entries into the Pedia itself. The AQ , and WF , pedias do not allow people outside the Pedia Staff to make entries.

As for the WF Pedia I have no say in what changes are or are not made their. I do know that the WF Pedia was fashioned after the AQ Pedia and as such I doubt there will be a change there either.
AQW  Post #: 8
11/28/2011 19:24:03   
UltraGuy

quote:

As for the DF Pedia Masters Group. That group allows those in that group to post actual entries into the Pedia itself. The AQ , and WF , pedias do not allow people outside the Pedia Staff to make entries.

Yes I'm aware of that.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 9
11/28/2011 21:23:53   
BlackAces

I don't believe it creates clutter PMing someone seems redundant to me when they can just post it. That way others can see it and if they should ever do a write-up they may be more aware. It also goes to serving the purpose of getting multiple perspectives on matters as from time to time there are errors in the info sub and posting about them gets them the attention they need to be fixed. Be it in the raw numbers or in the write-up itself it allows us to see where there might be a potential error or confusion and then we can get further information on it to better inform you.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 10
11/28/2011 21:57:32   
ArchMagus Orodalf

quote:

Templates can be provided for all to use, however not everything will work in a given template. Some people also are there just to give the imformation they know or understand, not all comprehend the math , and as such would not need the templates.

To add: the Pedia AKs know the templates and can correct as needed, especially since they look over all of the entries before they post them, anyway. In addition, there are plenty of examples of good entries in the place where all the entries are: the Pedia itself.

My own perspective: I much prefer posts in the thread giving corrections than PMs: one location to look that isn't cluttered (it's really straightforward, really) or restricted (whether your InBox is restricted to 40 PMs or 500 doesn't really matter, because I really hate cleaning that thing out), no repetition, and the AKs get to see exactly what's happening. Plus, the ArchKnights get to know whom to give credit to so that the poster(s) can't "forget" to credit their helper(s).

And the threads, unlike PMs, are there for a good while, so you can't accidentally lose info by deletion (*cough* like I did for the Unaga Gun when I got the info from Aelthai *cough*).
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
12/19/2011 6:33:22   
UltraGuy

quote:

Please use the correct format when writing up 'pedia entries. ~D

What is the correct format? Ironic isn't it? Even the pedia itself does not give the correct format...

< Message edited by UltraGuy -- 12/19/2011 23:29:48 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 12
12/19/2011 7:30:03   
  Grixus Faldor

No, it's not because common sense would dictate that someone with new info to post would post in the same fashion as the majority of those who do so and in the same fashion as those existing created entries, would you not agree? I hope I do not come across as being rude or forward, that was not my intention.

< Message edited by James Lu -- 12/19/2011 7:31:38 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
12/19/2011 23:27:45   
UltraGuy

Hmm. Well, thing is, as what BlackAces said, not everyone uses the same format. It may look similar but they are not the same. Let's compare these two entries for example: My Way Armor VII and Morningstar Tradition.
Look at the descriptions of each, you'll see that the former have been italicized and the latter have not.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 14
12/19/2011 23:59:30   
BlackAces

While the format differs from person to person UltraGuy that is not the issue. The core of the format is the same whether there are minute differences is not a cause for alarm or concern. Whether something is italicised or not makes absolutely no difference to the entry at all.

< Message edited by BlackAces -- 12/20/2011 0:00:58 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 15
12/27/2011 12:11:36   
ArchMagus Orodalf

^Exactly. For example: http://forums2.battleon.com/f/fb.asp?m=19928458 I don't see how an indentation matters. It's only in the DragonFable Pedia that they require such adherence to a format. I don't see how it matters-- as long as the entry is presentable, readable, and has all of the necessary info... indentation/italics/underlining/whatever doesn't really matter.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
12/30/2011 19:08:02   
UltraGuy

I apologize for being a perfectionist. I just realize that I'm perfecting...nothing. I realized that there is no template and so long as you use the information required, you're fine.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 17
12/30/2011 23:41:31   
  Grixus Faldor

That in itself isn't bad, because from what I can understand you want a standardised and uniform format for encyclopaedia articles and looking at 'paedia articles from 5/6 years ago they had no standardised format, hopefully with the Sweep and standard updates the Info Subs. will use the "standard" format. But in essence, minor deviations from the agreed format is not a pressing issue, however, general uniformity should be something we should be aiming to achieve.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 18
1/13/2012 9:32:40   
UltraGuy

I have added another proposal.
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 19
1/13/2012 14:47:47   
ArchMagus Orodalf

It goes without saying that grammar must be correct, but I do believe that the ArchKnights already do a good job in making sure that any grammatical mistakes in Info Submissions are removed.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
1/14/2012 2:18:12   
UltraGuy

There are some AKs out there on the AQ Pedia who do not use proper grammar - those AKs don't correct the grammatical errors made by write-up makers. And there are also some AK's who just post the write-up without looking for grammatical errors.

< Message edited by UltraGuy -- 1/14/2012 3:00:36 >
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 21
1/14/2012 8:50:57   
Vanitas
Banned

There will be grammatical errors regardless of who is in charge.
Even if there are constant errors one can simply point them out in the info. subs.
Post #: 22
1/14/2012 12:53:04   
UltraGuy

Honestly, I've tried doing that, it went nowhere. They keep telling me that the error was so minute that it needs not to be corrected. --'
AQ DF Epic  Post #: 23
1/14/2012 20:41:37   
  Scakk
Beyond

As the forum is multi national and multi lingual there will be grammatical errors at times. Please do keep that fact in mind when reading post in the Pedia for information. The main point of the Pedia is to record the statistical information for the equipment and other items available in game. As long as that is correct the grammatical issues may go unchanged as there are more important things that need to be done. If, however, there is a grammatical error that effects what is trying to be relayed in the post then please point it out and note why it would need to corrected. If you do find others you wish to be looked into you are welcome to PM me directly and I will check into them and alter those that are in need of a change. If a grammatical error is in a quest entry it is possible that is the way it was written in the game itself and therefor it was entered as such.

If you have any questions pertaining to the above please feel free to PM me and we can discuss it.

< Message edited by Scakk -- 1/14/2012 20:43:15 >
AQW  Post #: 24
1/15/2012 19:57:14   
  Ianthe
 formerly In Media Res

We hope that it is beautiful! I had a good review! >:|
This is a translation of "Hey! I have excellent grammar! >:|" provided by this site. It's intended to show how good my grammar is.
But seriously, where were you told that grammar is unimportant? The only things that I told you were unimportant were formatting stuff (like extra <br/>s, italics, and indenting).
AQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [AE Forum Resources] >> Forum Support and Suggestions >> AQ Encyclopedia Info Submission
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition