Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Dev,KoO= Morningstar Legends

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Dev,KoO= Morningstar Legends
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/8/2011 20:54:39   
  Ianthe
 formerly In Media Res

I figure I should say a few words about this release. Most of this was written last night at 5 AM, so I'll probably be a little rambly.

When we originally released Morningstar, we had about a week to plan, balance, and release the whole thing. This... isn't much time. Big releases take much more time to plan out (remember how long it took to release Assassin?) and we didn't have enough time, so we had to leave out some stuff. It wasn't any major stuff, but it was those special touches that made an MC set an MC set. Naturally, you guys noticed -- the reaction to the release was pretty bad. So, when we got an empty week in the release schedule, we jumped on the chance to go back and add the things that should've been there originally.

One of the biggest problems was the crossbow. We originally wanted it to be an Earth bow, since there weren't any Earth bows out, and Rangers deserve some love. It was going fine until we decided that it should get a trigger against undead, and undead aren't usually weak against Earth, so we switched it to Light. After the release Kamui had the idea of making it Earth and element-seek on undead, but... well, it was already released. It probably wouldn't be very nice if we switched it.

Player: Huzzah, a light weapon! Finally, my inventory is complete!
KoO: NOT! It's Earth now!
Player: /ragequit

We're not malicious like that. (We're malicious in our own, classier way!) This was the original idea behind the Morningstar Flying Cross: it would be the Earth bow that the Morningstar Crossbow was meant to be!

This plan didn't quite stand up to logic. Crosses have religious implications, so if anything would be a Light weapon, then it's the cross and not the crossbow. Plus, it should also have a trigger against undead and demons, because DUH. Lastly, there's Hollow's art for it -- it sparkles! It looks like it hit a glampire too many times, which is AWESOME and I highly recommend you doing if you have some free time (go team Jacob!). So, we decided to give everyone who had a crossbow would be given a cross, and we'd re-release the crossbow as an Earth weapon (as it was originally meant to be).

And then came the newsletter! You guys seemed so hyped that there might be a 100% proc Magic weapon, that we just had to include one. Finally, all would be right in the world. Except team Edward.

There's also the mini-bosses, which was the other fun part about this release:
  • There's a generic golem or a living suit of armour in EVERY Castlevania game, so we naturally had to include one. Fear his genericness!
  • Legion is my favourite boss. We got the adorable little Green Nasty to come out and guest star as Legion. She even rouged her knees (and rolled her stockings down) for us!
  • Carmilla was originally going to reference both Carmilla from Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (which was the first Castlevania game I played) and the succubus from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but we had to drop the latter because I stumbled upon a horrible pun. It also gave us an opportunity to update all the normal Vamps, who are now all effectively Vamp Adepts.
  • And finally, The Reaper! He's another Castlevania regular, so we naturally had to include him as another guest star.

The hardest part of the release was coming up with names for the different pieces. This is one of the things that goes into each MC set that makes it special, and it was really bad that we had to drop it from the original release. So we pooled the collective KoO hivemind, and came up with what's either the least or most exciting part about the release!

The last part of this release came from ReverendWyrm, with the Malengua weapon. It's a living weapon, so we decided to do something weird and have it respond to your CHA. I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but it's fun to release a weird weapon every once in a while.

That's about it from me. Hope you guys will enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it.
  • AQ  Post #: 1
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> AQ Design Notes >> =Dev,KoO= Morningstar Legends
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition