Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Summer Evening- Memory of " " [FINISHED]

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Summer Evening- Memory of " " [FINISHED]
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/23/2012 0:42:57   
lordkaho
Creative!

Inspired by Nasu Kinoko

May 31, 2009

The sewers.

An underground network of pipelines, and drainage systems that convey sewage in and out of Maebashi city.

In other words, a place where garbage and rubbish gets flushed away.

Such is a fitting home for someone like me, I guess.

And like the trash here that surrounds me, I am a waste product of the city, left to rot in this awful state.

But don't get me wrong here, I'm not one of those run-of-the-mill Anarchists who rally on the streets doing nothing but loathe modern society, and the government, pursuing some pseudo-intellectual cause that has much worth as the cardboard signs they prance around with.

No, I'm not like that. Unlike those people above on the streets, who live perfectly normal lives but still find a reason to complain, I am surprisingly content with this curse that I'll be living with the rest of my life.

It's not like I can do anything about it anymore. Like what they all say, "It can't be helped". So I just might as well live this body of mine to the fullest while it lasts.

Well, enough of that lame existentialist sob story. My short little story begins here.

My name is Minoru Streidberg. I'm definitely not your average guy, though I can act like one if the situation demands it. You could say that my dad, a magus as he calls himself, did some tests on me and all didn't go as planned. It resulted on me becoming one of those western blood sucking freaks all the girls seem to be crazy about these days. However, as I begin to understand this body of mine, I realized I was only partially a vampire. If I were truly one, the experiment wouldn't be declared as a failure. It really messed up my body so much that there are many things I have yet to grasp with this puny brain of mine.

You might think that I must really hate my father right? Well, to a degree there is some truth to that. But like I said before, nothing could be done. He himself couldn't reverse the effects on himself, so I think my chances are pretty nil.

But that won't stop to me from at least living a quiet life as a person.

It was just another night, same as always. The sewers stank, and the sewage water, even more so. But living here for almost a year made me somehow used to it.

But what's more important is this grumbling friend who I call my stomach.

It's been days since I've had any food, and since I'm not a full vampire like my father, I need to eat normal food like any other person or else I'd die of hunger. That and my belly would rather eat a hamburger than rotten food swimming in sewage water. As if drinking blood wasn't already a huge hassle.

I quickly hurried to a manhole exit and latched on to the handle bars. I gazed above the long cylindrical stretch of wet concrete and bricks. It was about 16-18 feet to the surface from the sewers. For a normal person it would probably take quite some time climbing up, but due to my 'abilities' I hastily soared up in a matter of seconds. Sure I stumbled and lost my footing a couple of times, but I managed to pull through.

Slowly I opened the lid and crept out of the man hole. This exit was a favorite of mine as it was well hidden in a dark, narrow alley and was far from populated areas. It would have been troublesome if I went out in the middle of the street and people would report some weirdo who lives in the sewers. The only thing that greeted me along the way were rats and scavenging cats in nearby dumpsters.

Once again my belly rumbled with great fury. I could feel my stomach acid slowly eating away my insides.

I reached into my pockets to see how much I got, and to no surprise I was broke as hell.

"Two hundred Yen."

Well, I guess that'd be enough to buy two curry bread, I thought.

I quickly covered my head with my hood to hide my 'special' features and walked out of the alley. I melded into the bustling urban folk like a charm. Though that might be more due to the people busy with their cell phones and other gadgets than to pay attention to someone like me.

With so little money, I think I should just consider stealing food from a fancy restaurant but from where I'm heading to, my guilt really kicks in.

"Satori Pharmacy and Convenience Store"

I really have no idea why I keep going to this place.

I mustered my courage up and went inside.

Ting! rang the door sensors as I walked in.

And there she was, sitting at the counter and burying her face on her favorite magazine, T*PE-M**N. A black haired, bespectacled girl in her 2nd Year, who goes by the name Hanamichi Saki.

You could say that she's the object of my fixation or her trivial dealings with me has somehow made me curious on how her brain functions.

"Oh! Minoru-kun!"

She greets me in her usual smooth toned voice, and her perpetually smiling face that would make even the greatest scientists commit suicide on wondering how such a feat exists.

"Oh my, you look white as a sheet today!"

"That hurts you know. And you always say that", though that's probably because it has been 2 weeks since I have had blood. I normally steal packs of it from the nearby blood bank, but it seems recently that management has noticed some of their reserves have gone missing and security was tightened.

"So, what'll be Minoru-kun?" she asked it as if she doesn't know. What a devil.

I walk into the pastry section and reach for two curry buns on the bread shelves, with an extra bun of course hidden in my sleeve.

"I saw that, you know."

Gulp, she she sure is picky today, I thought.

"But...Since it's you, I'll let that pass" she chuckled.

I nervously placed the 'three' buns on the counter, while Saki worked on the cash register.

"You know, if you're so broke why not find a job? If you want, I could ask the manager if she has an extra slot for a shop helper. I could need some help lifting the huge supply boxes in the stock room." she said as she resumed reading on her magazine.

"Nah, I'm good."

Even though it's tempting, and would at least guarantee me some decent meal every day, I can't risk being too close to people or else-

"Say, I have always wondered about your skin. I bet you've been eating grass again"

Saki reached for my face as she attempted to poke me with her finger but I immediately backed off before she could do more trespassing on my private space.

"Uh-no, it's a skin condition. Trust me. It's also highly contagious so you'll get it too if you touch me."

She only stared in wonder, but before things got too awkward I bid her farewell and thanked her for the extra bread. I exited the store with my weeks supply of rations in hand.

I think it got too heated for me back there, so I decided to take a stroll into the city square to catch some air and maybe some relaxation. The streets, as usual, were buzzing with people. Most of them were high schoolers who spend most of the evening shopping in malls, eating at cake shops and just immersing themselves with the city life.

I somehow envy them, as I who spend most of the time in seclusion, could never enjoy any of these things without being called out. But then again, I sometimes think to myself that people probably wouldn't care.

Come to think of it, they'd probably let me off as one of those cosplayers from Akihabara.

However, I still need to be cautious. People might not notice me, but I surely wouldn't want the attention of "others".

I found a nicely placed bench that was vacated and was conveniently facing one of those big LED screens that decorated most of the buildings in the city. I sat and stretched my wearing limbs out then opened the plastic bag and took a bite at the curry bread. Hopefully, my grumpy stomach would be fine with this.

On the screen, a flash report pops up.

"Good evening. This is Fuji News Network, bringing you the latest news for the night."

"Ah good, I wonder what's been going on ever since I've been staying underground."

"May 30, 2009, last night, residents from the Tone district have reported what might be another string to the recent Gunma Cannibal serial murders that has ravaged much of the prefecture. The victim in question, is Maki Satou, 19 year old son of the deceased Maki Takanori and Sayoko. His 11 year old sister, Maki Kuroko, however is still missing."

"Dammit, Gorou!" I cursed myself. "I should've never let that brute get away!"

Gorou was one member of a street gang in Maebashi city that I spotted one night in my alley, trying to hit on a girl- Saki, but I doubt she even remembers that event. I tried to talk them out of it, but they were too aggressive for that. I had no choice but to dispatch them out as I would further endanger Saki and myself. It wasn't easy, they outnumbered me five-to-one and I had to have an excuse for killing them. I took advantage of the Gunma Cannibal story that was already notorious at that time and made it look like 'he' killed them. It just so happened that Gorou survived and somehow got infected by my disease as well. The idiot then began killing people like crazy.

I had a hunch he was responsible for most the killings of late as the real 'murderer' left cryptic clues on every crime scene. One I vaguely remember, was that victims were positioned in a ritualistic manner, but not Gorou. He just ate people for his delight.

"Another body was found at the Maki residence, and is identified to be Hayao Gorou. Upon further inspection, it has been confirmed that this man was responsible for the murder of Maki Satou due to the matching saliva found in the victim's body. However, lab test analysis show that Hayao Gorou's DNA sample do not match that of the Gunma Cannibal. It is now heavily debated whether this case is even related to the GC killings. To implicate matters further, Gorou's body was examined for autopsy and several 3rd degree burns were found on his body. His death was most mysterious also, as he was declared to have died from many gaping lacerations that could have only been done by heated metal with an intensity of over a thousand degrees. This implies that a third party was present at the crime scene..."

I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"What..."

I dropped the bread out of my mouth as I blankly stared unto the LED screen blankly. One specific detail there ricocheted itself inside my head.

"Gorou isn't the killer."

Immediately, I took off from the bench and left the bread that would've served as tomorrow's supper. Food didn't matter to me now. I ran as fast as I could, not thinking of the people around me.

A whirlwind of questions plagued me as I ran.

Suddenly, I remember having seldom lapses of being in a trance-like state if I would go on for too long without blood. Worst thing is I could not remember anything from that. It has been weeks since I've have had any proper nourishment, so who knows what I might have been doing all those times?

"Could I have been killing these people?"

"Did I really do it?"

"Was an accomplice of Gorou?"

"Did I really kill him?"

The barrage of questions didn't stop. Some of them didn't even make sense anymore.

Out of all those facts reported in the news, one detail stuck out like a sore thumb.

"...could have only been done by heated metal with an intensity of over a thousand degrees."

I knew it all too well. It felt awfully familiar.

Ever since that catastrophe with my father's experiment, I had another curse, something vastly different from my partial vampirism.

It was my "Void".

The effects were too uncanny. No one else could have done it but me and my dealings with Gorou only made it even more painfully obvious.

I ran with all my might along the evening streets. I dashed through the thick busy crowds, on speeds they could mistake for a gust of wind. The cold air lashed at me like bitter daggers, my legs felt like concrete and my body was sore, but I didn't care. I had to get home as soon as possible.

However, before I could reach my destination, something halted me in my tracks. It was an image that was so detached from the reality revealing itself around me.

A little, black haired girl. She was wearing blue denim overalls and a skirt. She was walking towards me with one hand raised as if someone was holding her.

"Good evening, Onii-chan." she greeted me warmly with a bright smile as she blissfully passed by me.

This girl, I thought.

She had a similar air about her that reminded me of myself. She had ghostly pale skin, and like me, she possessed bright red eyes the color of blood.

My already battered mind would only be added by a new throng of questions.

But as I looked back to see her off, another surreal sight graced itself before my confused eyes.

It was a fair lady in an elegant white gown, that seemed to be covered with shiny metallic plates that emanated with a heavenly glow. She walked beside the little girl, illuminating the gray path as they went, leaving the pavement they stepped on with golden crystallized flakes.

To my surprise, the lady glanced at me but she just smiled. I rubbed my eyes to properly understand what I was actually seeing but when I looked again, they were gone.

Just like that.

I reached for the lid and slowly descended into my underground 'lair'. But before the darkness beneath had clouded my vision, I couldn't help but ask-

"Is she the-" but I slapped myself in mid-sentence.

Now that would be stupid, even for me. This problem will have to wait for tomorrow, I guess. My mind is just too stressed out for me to think clearly.

Perhaps, living with rats for so long has made me paranoid.

END OF PART 1 OF 3

< Message edited by lordkaho -- 1/28/2012 1:47:39 >
DF MQ  Post #: 1
1/23/2012 23:06:27   
lordkaho
Creative!

June 5, 2009

It had been four days since the news about the Tone district incident and Gorou's death had been broadcasted.

Truth was, Satou was his only victim. Last night, another person was brutally murdered in the same gruesome fashion akin to the other GC killings prior to Gorou's case. From what I've noticed, the killer was killing primarily on six day intervals and that he'd only kill one person from one respective area. But other than that, his methods of late don't particularly imply that he's sending the people a message. His ulterior motive seemed to be mostly concerned on feasting then getting on to another place to search for a victim.

His behavioral patterns was much more different than the Gunma Cannibal a month ago, he acted very animalistic; it almost felt as if there were two killers here. One tried to convey a terrifying message, whilst the other was just a psychopath who enjoyed murdering people. However, despite there no longer being any cases of human sacrifice, rituals, or foreboding imagery, DNA results suggest otherwise.

It was still the same guy.

A guy, who unfortunately don't match any police records.

I'm starting to doubt if this person is even human.

Ironically, the recent murder last night somehow eased me up a bit. It somehow proved that I wasn't the murderer.

Well, at least I think so.

The report happened immediately and I was strolling in the park when it happened.

But still, I can't leave this madman to kill as he pleases. You might wonder why I would worry so much about people who don't even care about me, but his actions are potentially endangering my life as well. I can't stand here while he's killing and suspicion begins to creep up on me. You could say I'm doing this for the people and for myself.

I still have five days before he kills again.

Tonight, I'll have to track this guy down.

I exit through the manhole and out into the alleyway as always.

But.

Something felt strange.

I couldn't hear anything.

No, I could hear my breathing and my foot steps just fine. However, there wasn't the occasional gnawing of cats in the garbage cans nor the scampering of rats from dumpster to dumpster.

Well, I could see a dog playfully barking at me. I just couldn't hear him bark. It's as if everything but me was muted purposely.

I peered out into the corner, but this time no one was in sight save for a few animals. I could see several parked cars and lit apartments but not a single person. I checked my digital watch, but it was only 9:15 PM- far too early for people to hit the sack.

I continued walking around to check what was going on but suddenly a voice came from a distance.

"You can quit being dumb struck, Streidberg."

Who-?

I turned my back, and there he was- perched atop a nearby lamp post. The man seemed to be of some noble foreign family. He had an aristocratic feel to him. He had slicked back blonde hair, and some distinct Caucasian features similar to my father, Albus Streidberg. He wore a tight black coat with huge tail ends that billowed down his back.

He just stared at me intently with his piercing blue eyes.

Who is this guy?

He suddenly flicked a finger and I could see a part of the post sizzle. It glowed red hot until some chunks of it liquidized and separated from the shaft in a snake-like manner. Soon, it formed into a metallic blob that split into several tiny pellets that hovered in the air.

I gazed at it in amazement, but I had no idea what he was trying to do.

"How naive." he whispered.

I still didn't understand what he was on about, but it proved to be a grave mistake for me. Just before I knew it, it was already too late. The metal pellets rained at me like a spray of bullets and punched through my body before I could react.

As each pellet lacerated me, I could feel my insides churning like being in a blender.

But I couldn't feel the pain, I just found my self crashing against the pavement, limp and unable to move, and vomiting blood as I fell.

The sheer gravity of the assault has left me numb and speechless, not even able to scream out my agony.

"Surely you would have been faster than that, Streidberg."

Who exactly is this person?

Why does he know me?

Why in the world did he attack? What did I even do to him?

Those were my very thoughts, but then I remember something ages ago. Something my dear mother said to me when I was young, that ever since I became this I should be wary of these 'people'.

It seems the whole Gunma serial killings has attracted their attention and now they've found me and think I'm the culprit.

I tried to reason with him but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stand up. But had I been a normal person, I would've died several times already. Despite my rather mediocre regenerative abilities as a vampire, I have been saved from what could've been instant death.

I was still horribly incapacitated though, and all in the mercy of this person.

"I take it that you were just on your way to be hero?"

"Who-Who're you?!"

Finally my mouth permitted me to speak. It hurt, but I had to.

"Are you the one killing all these people?" I asked

The man scoffed at my response, as if he was disgusted by it.

"Surely you jest, fool. Don't compare me to those lowly warlocks. I wouldn't practice magic as foul and barbaric as that!"

Something he said caught my ears.

"Magic?"

He chuckled at my apparent disbelief. It seemed he was surprised that I am completely oblivious about the matter at hand. However, this man had answers, so I'll just play along.

"Why else would this magus eat human flesh? It is ancient thaumaturgy that dates back to time immemorial! But we...follow set standards now on which kind of magic we dabble into."

At long last, I have recovered enough to pull myself up. My joints were an awful sore, but I persisted.

"You mean to say the Gunma Cannibal, the killer, is a magus? How did you know?"

Once again, the man looked annoyed, like he was expecting me to at least have a shed of light in all this. But ignorance only aggravated him further.

"Let me refresh that shameful memory of yours a bit, Streidberg!"

This person was serious. Albeit several parts of my body creaked and screamed with pain, at least now I'll be able to defend myself.

"Imperium Metallum..." he chanted.

This man was a magus, like my father, and from what I've heard, it's best to deal with them quickly before they get to speak their fancy words.

Again, a stretch of the lamp post heated with great intensity. The metal shaft twisted and melted away then formed into bar of spikes.

Then it hit me.

"...could have only been done by heated metal with an intensity of over a thousand degrees."

This man might've been the one who killed Gorou, there's just no mistake to it.

But I had no time to interrogate him right now as he's obviously more concerned on killing me.

As he was busy forming the post into a razor sharp appendage, I quickly plucked one of the pellets from my body that he shot me earlier with. I squirmed as I dug through my gaping wound.

With it, I threw it at him at speeds even he would have no time to react properly. As planned it caught him off guard and he lost concentration, and his make shift weapon quickly fell apart. However, he still managed to gain hold of the tiny projectile just inches from his face.

I guess this guy could somehow control metal and its properties and is even able to manipulate their temperatures at will.

The shot proved to be quite an effective distracting move as I had intended, so while he tried to regain focus, I raced towards the base of the post and to try knocking it down.

However, that proved to be a grievous mistake. As I prepared to hit it with all my might, the base got too hot all of a sudden that a geyser of steam spewed forth at me. It was so hot that I could feel my skin peel off.

I was lucky to have backed down before I was toasted to a crisp. But that slow down only gave him an opportunity to launch an attack.

Sooner before I knew it, the post was spitting out chunks of metal at me like a machine gun. My leg tendons twisted and burned with pain, but I forced it into full throttle to evade all those bullets shot at me.

The magus then realizes that he had depleted most of the metal from the post that it was now starting to wobble and creak. I took this opening and dashed towards it. With a full swipe of my leg, I kicked the whole shaft crashing down.

The man leapt and molded some scraps of debris into long metal poles. Like twin javelins, he tossed them at me.

I immediately ducked and seized the speeding steel javelin and used it to parry the second. With finally a weapon in hand, I lunged at him with the metal pole. The magus then fashioned a set of sabres, each on one hand.

I jabbed my weapon at him, but he effortlessly parried it with his blade. I kept flailing the metal pole, but I just found myself on the defensive when he was practically slicing through me like a hurricane of steel. His attacks were so synchronized that his swords were like a pair of scissors chipping away at me in quick, rapid strokes.

This magus was no pushover.

In a matter of repeated exchange of blows, he finally disarms me. I tried to disarm him myself but I made another mistake. I left my self wide open for him to slice my left arm clean off with surgical precision. He immediately followed with a thrust to my left chest, then ignited the sword still stuck inside me.

I howled in anguish as scorching steel boiled my blood, and broiled my flesh. The sizzling smell of my own insides being cooked clogged my bloody nostrils. It was nauseating. He ripped it out by cutting my left shoulder open.

Total defeat.

I fell absolutely shocked from the intense pain eating away at my entire body.

I couldn't even blink my eye anymore. I just stared at the midnight sky. Everything else felt so big compared to me.

I thought this was it.

I was going to die.

"Pathetic, Streidberg, even for you."

I can't believe this man was still trying to mock me, even after completely obliterating me.

But...death was something far too early to claim me right now.

No, I still haven't even begun to enjoy this life, no matter how miserable it is. I can't let him end it like this.

He left me no choice. If he wanted power from me, I'll show him.

But he won't live long enough to savor it.

Using the last bits of strength still remaining in me, I crawl up, my wounded eyes that shared the same crimson gloss as my blood contrasted this man's deep sapphire eyes.

"Very good. Right now, I suppose I have knocked enough sense for you to remember everything, Streidberg."

I didn't listen to him. His voice vacated my ears.

Only thing I heard was something deep inside me. It was silent, never uttered a sound. But this same silence allowed me to speak to it.

" "

Manifesting the fragile, crystal heart of fate. My spirit unwinds its ethereal threads, searching deep into the bosom of Heaven and Hell. I reach out to it- purge my tainted form of sin and absolve all material woes! Enter the divine hold that transcends above infinity! The sacred rule that rids imperfection and mortal faults!

Finally, I say its true name.

"Immaterial Law."

"W-What is this?!"

"Like you said, I remembered."

The infuriated magus unleashed a tide of steel prongs, but they only phased through me. As I clenched my fist, I stared into my now spiritual form.

It was beautiful and mesmerizing, but also a reminder that I didn't belong to this world.

I return my gaze at him. His eyes, I could see the tornado of emotions swirling inside them. Awe. Fear. Shock. Anger. Confusion.

Once again, he desperately tried another attack. Out of the asphalt road, a huge chunk of metal burst out. He shaped it into a massive serrated great sword. However, instead of brandishing it at me, he stabbed it in the air in my direction. The hunk of metal rained razor sharp blades at me, but like before they didn't even touch me.

I charged my arm and lashed out a shimmering whip that seemed to reverberate as it moved. The whip, being able to move independently as I will it, cut his sword into pieces in a matter of seconds.

And finally, I struck the final blow.

He futilely tried to form a massive shield wall but the whip slashed cleanly through it like butter. Like a hungry tongue of energies, it seeked him out then dissected the defenseless magus in two- his upper torso disappearing from my sight.

Even though I have narrowly escaped death, this form will inevitably bring me closer to it.

My soul, however, was too weak to hold for long and eventually, it faded away and returned my normal body.

I fell to my knees, just starting to embrace the unhealed pain aching all over.

It was brief, as the accumulated fatigue from the fight fortunately kicked in and my body began to shut down.

Finally, I thought.

I need the rest.

All I remembered then was my face meeting the cold ruined pavement as my tired eyes sealed shut.

END OF PART 2 OF 3

< Message edited by lordkaho -- 1/23/2012 23:11:46 >
DF MQ  Post #: 2
1/27/2012 10:10:28   
lordkaho
Creative!

Five years ago

Today was my big chance.

Everyone, including Father, will be busy with a some sort of family gathering downstairs.

The door creaked as I gently opened it enough for me to peek through father's private study. Unlike the rest of our western styled house, his room was flooded with exotic and bizarre oddities that you could only find in a witch doctor's place. Everything gave a vibe similar to those creepy voodoo stuff I sometimes saw in foreign cable. There were shelves laden with various animal skulls, big dusty books, and an entire table lit with rows of bright red candles.

It was just creepy.

I think I even saw several piles of bones on the floor. Some of them even had scraps of meat left on them. Father should stop wolfing down the stored chicken in the fridge. He's always hungry lately.

But as I kept peeking, a hand tapped my shoulder.

"Whoa-!" I let out in surprise.

But it was just my cousin, Jan Aurelous. His father, Gilles Aurelous, is some sort of professor like my father.

Anyway, I really wonder why our surnames sound so weird. Seriously, compared to the other kids in school, ours are just so different.

"Starting trouble, aren't you mister 'I'm-my-father's-favorite'? Hmm?"

Jan always seemed to be jealous of me. It's maybe because of some inheritance fought over between our families and we got a larger portion.

But that was all adult stuff so I didn't care much.

"Keep you nose outa this, Jan! And shush!"

"You are so getting in trouble for this, Minoru."

I think I felt like being playful that I instinctively grabbed his nose and squeezed it while jokingly making 'honk honk' noises.

In anger, Jan got too hot head and pushed me away, and accidentally, I fell back on the door- making it swing wide open.

What we then saw was the shock of our lives.

The bones I saw earlier wasn't Father's messy eating habits.

In full view, we stared in horror at the human skeleton stripped off his flesh with a half eaten face still in tact.

We felt like screaming.

Jan was already on his tears, on the verge of collapse.

But familiar weight pressed behind us.

"What brings you here, children?"

A voice croaky and heavy set but menacing in tone.

This wasn't like him.

Father's imposing rocky stature towered over us, who were too afraid to move a muscle.

He immediately snatched Jan away by the shoulder and dragged him inside the room. I tried to pry Jan from his clutches but he shot me with striking eyes devoid of remorse. He grabbed me and hurled me out side and slammed the door shut behind him.

Those dead morbid eyes.

I feared that Jan was in grave danger.

Knowing that I couldn't do anything, I rushed towards the living room where most of the adults were, including Jan's parents.

But what greeted me downstairs was something far more gruesome that I could imagine.

Red...

Everything.

Everything was painted red.

My eyes were brutally assaulted by the ugly tang of death, eyes that were too young to conceive anything of this horror. There was blood everywhere that my entire vision was nothing but crimson.

Pieces of body parts littered the floor. What were once people, were now beyond recognition.

I violently vomited in disgust. My sore throat tightened and burned with inflammation.

Bile and tears smothered my distorted face.

This was just too much for my weak brain to handle.

I felt like going crazy.

But amidst the chaos, something, a basic thought lingered in my head.

I must save Jan.

I didn't know why.

We were friends but never that close due to competitions between our families.

But instead of running to safety, my stubborn body won't let me. It was almost as if my sub conscious demanded it, that I must go for Jan. My flabby legs gave their all as I dashed back to the upper corridor and back to Father's room.

I grabbed a chair and fearlessly banged it against the door repeatedly. I never knew why but my body felt full of vigor. Normally this chair was quite heavy, but I was pounding it on the door as if it was made of paper. Is this what they call an adrenaline rush?

After repeated blows, the door finally sprang wide open. I witnessed how my own father was feasting on my cousin's arm.

This man wasn't human.

Without hesitation, I threw the broken chair at father, but he used Jan to shield him. I squirmed as I listened to Jan's pained groans and throes of agony. I couldn't bear hearing him like this.

Father finally let go of him, bloody and half conscious on the floor.

"You disappoint me Minoru. I greatly despise disobedience. You should have fled when I let you off."

Father's eyes were like burning coals, devoid of any humanity. His dagger-like teeth were still bloody with the juicy pulp of Jan's flesh. He took a step closer, and in an instant, his arm seemed to stretch considerably fast that he has gotten hold of me from the opposite side of the room. He clutched me by the collar and slowly lifted me up that our eyes met.

"I am most saddened to do this, my child. But unfortunately, I was mistaken in allowing you to be heir to the Streidberg name."

Father yawned his great jaws open, full of filed teeth, then took a savory bite at my neck.

I felt my blood slippering away, sucked into the vortex that is his mouth, and so did my consciousness.

Unable to resist anymore, my mind went completely blank.

"Nnngghhhh... W-where am I?"

"Welcome back to our world. Streidberg."

I sat up and was greeted with a familiar face- a face that shouldn't be here.

"But I...How did you-?"

The man in the black coat creased his brows then let out a sigh. He began tapping his forehead, as if thinking of something. I looked around to see where we were, but it was where I exactly remembered it- just outside the alley.

"As you may know, death is particularly something rather trivial when you have acquaintances such as she."

"She?"

He said nothing. Instead, he just stared at me intently while folding his arms across. Then I realized he wasn't particularly looking at me, but behind me. Slowly, I turned my head to see who or what it was.

The sides of my vision somehow caught something unnatural, something I knew I shouldn't be looking at. But curiosity trumped over my fear, and swung my head to meet it face to face.

A horrid mass of tentacles.

Six eyes.

An Insectoid maw.

A serpentine form.

"W-WHAT IS THAT THING?" I shouted at the top of my lungs.

"Oh don't worry, that's just my pet Shoggoth." came a voice from behind the horrid creature.

It was brown haired lady perched atop what seems to be a geyser of translucent mass.

"That trick of yours is getting old, Sonia." said the man behind me.

"Oh hahaha, but scaring the living daylights out of people never is." she chuckled.

"Sorry about that, but I believe I haven't introduced myself yet. I am Sonia Greene." she said as she pulled back the monstrosity into an old worn book.

"I also believe you have met that person over there earlier."

She was referring to the man, someone who I swore I killed earlier. I looked at him with confusion but he just had the same awkward look as me.

"Streidberg...I believe you remember me, no?"

The blond hair.

The arrogant attitude.

That voice.

"J-Jan?"

"Bravo, you upstart. I can't believe you could forget such a 'friend' so easily." He looked at me with disappointment.

"Well, he sure did a number on you, Aurelous." said Sonia teasingly.

"I-I did not anticipate that his abilities were beyond that of a vampire's! I didn't even know that Minoru could perform thaumaturgy!"

"Oh, but that wasn't your average thaumaturgy, Jan. That was True Magic."

"WHAT?" exclaimed Jan.

True Magic? Is that what my power was? My void?

To be honest, when I first tapped into it, I felt like something else was controlling me. That magic chant, it was unknown to me. But it was as if my soul knew what had to be done.

"Err...I'm kinda confused here. What exactly is going on?"

"Ahh, well enough of that. You see, Streidberg, we have gained information of a rogue magus going on a killing spree here in Gunma."

Yeah right. I was on my way to track him down.

"And how does this relate to me and you two?"

"Surely you have remembered further, Streidberg. Recall that event."

That event.

Five years ago.

Suddenly my mind sparked with realization. The demonic rituals. The elaborate method of murder. The cannibalistic acts.

"F-Father..."

"Yes, we are very sure that Albus Streidberg is indeed this so called 'Gunma Cannibal'." spoke Sonia.

"...In fact, He has been killing people for centuries now, from Germany and now Japan. It just so happened that he has gotten 'clumsy' over the years." she added.

"Jan...How did you survive back then? My memory has gotten hazy ever since that." I turned to my cousin.

Who would've thought that this jerk was really him?

"Long story, Streidberg. But what matters is that you have at least remembered the past details."

The word "Truth" came into mind. Finally, I have learned something new about myself. Repressed memories that were lost in time, forced to be forgotten to protect my mind.

But now, I had no more doubts. Everything felt clearer.

However, I still had questions left unanswered, and this people were my ticket to finding more about the case.

"Sonia, you mentioned about father getting 'clumsier' over the years. What do you mean?"

She snapped her finger, and out of thin air she pulled out another book. She flipped through the pages until she found a particular page where she pointed with her finger.

"Verteer- Ancient Thaumaturgy first practiced by African tribes. It is a spell that involves consuming human flesh in order to absorb some of their strength-in reality, to siphon their soul. Souls accumulated would lead to lengthening the magus' life span, but the act of doing so merges some remnants of the victim's consciousness into the magus' own, resulting in a mental struggle for dominance
over the host body...
"

"Basically, your father has eaten too many souls that he can no longer wrestle with the hundreds of minds striving to control his body, resulting him to devolve into a mere predatory beast." said Jan.

"So I guess that explains why the Gunma Cannibal's actions have become more careless and savage recently. But father was already a vampire, don't we practically live long already?"

I looked at Jan, but the vacant expression on his face told me that even he didn't know why. But when I turned to Sonia she was just staring at me oddly.

"What?" I asked.

"Your father, wasn't killing people to lengthen his life... He was trying to replicate YOU."

Her point escaped me. Me? How?

"Jan, I'm sure you remember, right?"

Jan's eyes flashed as if he suddenly recalled something of great importance. A detail that would further explain father's goal.

"Streidberg. That time when your father tried to 'eat' you...Something didn't go as planned."

"Yeah, the failed experiment right? The grisly nights of continuous body examinations? I don't think I'll ever forget something as-"

"No, no. That came after. You see, when he bit you, God knows how, he accidentally made you into a vampire...But not quite."

The time father dug his ugly fangs at my throat. It was a very awful experience.

"But what of it?"

"You see, when you become into a vampire, your soul is transformed into one naturally. And by Verteer theory, eating a human takes away a part of his soul. In your case, some sort of loop hole happened that your supposedly human-but-now-vampire soul that should have been transferred to Albus' own left only empty spaces. A null transfer, if you may."

I couldn't really follow any of that and this was all very confusing, but I just nodded at every sentence. But then, Sonia took over the explanation.

"What he's actually saying, is that, when Albus tried to eat your soul, your newly transformed vampire soul rejected the effects of Verteer and resulted in him just eating away chunks from your soul leaving a void."

I wasn't sure if she was any clearer but at least it did make some sense.

"So this void in me. It was the hidden power, A True Magic as you call it, all this time?"

The Void. That beautiful swirl of heavenly colors. It was a form no mortal could describe with words.

"Yes, when your father learned about it. He experimented on you but with no success. He declared you broken, and threw you away so he went on to search for new test subjects. But apparently, it seems he has finally lost his mind and is nothing but a monster that should be hunted down."

"So...We just need to find him then."

Sonia grinned. Her smile already hinted that she knows where to find him. This lady seemed to be very knowledgeable. Perhaps I could ask where we to get free food or something.

"Let's go you two. We have a short little family reunion to go to."

-------

"Say, Jan, why did hell did you attack me earlier?"

"Well, Sonia did say that the only way for you to 'remember' was that to knock you half-dead."

"Oh...But uh...No hard feelings with...uh..You know what."

"I'll get even, Streidberg. I will."

~FIN

Story to be continued in "Lair of the Crimson God"

< Message edited by lordkaho -- 1/28/2012 1:45:20 >
DF MQ  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> Summer Evening- Memory of " " [FINISHED]
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition