Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Bustichia Reki, The Lost Warrior

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> Bustichia Reki, The Lost Warrior
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/30/2012 14:02:28   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Prologue

The death knight stood in the center of a long-rotted battlefield, peering uncaringly across the wasteland. He adjusted his helmet and, walking away, sighed thoughtfully.

"What foolishness," he said.

Out of the corner of his eye, the death knight saw movement. He walked in that direction and rummaged about some of the corpses. Finally, he found the creature that had caught his attention. It was just a scavenging cat, looking for any remnants of food that may have survived. The death knight tossed the animal away and stalked off.

"More and more foolishness invades this world..."

Time passed, and the death knight came across a village. He looked about and found a signpost, reading "Verteroche". He walked into the nearby tavern and plopped himself down in a chair, calling a waitress over.

"An' wha' will you be havin', ser?" she asked, with a heavy accent.

The death knight thought for a moment, then decided on what he would have. "Water," he said. "And I would like to reserve a room, as well."

The waitress wrote it all down, then paused. "Yer name, ser?"

"My name?" the death knight asked, wonderingly. "My name is... Reki."

< Message edited by BustichiaReki -- 1/31/2012 4:23:16 >
DF MQ  Post #: 1
1/31/2012 3:32:28   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 1

Bustichia Reki awoke in a very plain room, the room he had rented the previous night. He got up from the bed, still dressed in the death knight armor which he could not rid himself of. Walking to a nearby window, Reki looked out across the town of Verteroche and beyond. He grasped the black helmet which sat on the windowsill and placed it on his head over his crimson hair, adjusting the visor to fit his line of sight. Grabbing his pack, he walked out of the room and downstairs to the tavern. He sat down at an open table and called the waitress over, the same waitress from the night before.

"G'mornin' ser. Wha' will ye be havin' t'day?" she asked, pulling out her notepad.

Reki looked to the board which showed the menu, but couldn't decide. He didn't care for such trivial matters, anyway.

"I will have the day's special, if you please," he said.

"An wha' to drink, ser?"

"Water, thank you."

The waitress walked away, returning promptly with Reki's water. The death knight stared into the glass, looking at his reflection. He hated what he had become, despised himself for straying from the path. However, he knew he had had his reasons for doing so. This fact consoled him at his moments of deepest regret. While Reki was lost in his thoughts, a technomancer took the seat across from him. Reki looked up.

"Hey!" the man smiled, showing a set of perfect teeth.

"Hello," Reki said, annoyed at this sudden intrusion.

"Well, you looked a bit lonely over here, death knight, so I figured I'd be your drinking partner! What're you having?"

Reki shook his head. "Just water."

"Oh come on, you don't have a drink every now and then?" asked the technomancer.

The death knight shook his head once more.

The technomancer sighed and kicked his chair back. "Man, what a drag you are! Though I guess it's understandable, considering your situation, death knight."

"And what would a stranger like you know of my current situation? Not all death knights are the same, you know."

The technomancer leaned forward. "Wanna tell me about it, then?"

Reki closed his eyes and sipped the water.

"Not particularly."

The waitress returned with Reki's plate of food. "Here ye go, ser. Eat up."

"Thank you," Reki said, looking down at the eggs and sausage sitting on the plate in front of him. He started casually eating it, while the technomancer thought about how to get his companion to open up to him.

"Say, what's your name, death knight?"

"I do not see how that is any of your concern," the death knight said.

"Well, I like to know the names of everyone I meet."

"Is it not proper etiquette to introduce one's self before inquiring of the other?"

The technomancer was flustered. "Oh, um, right! Hello there, Mr. Death Knight, my name is Komoto. Komoto Raynar."

Reki studied the technomancer for the first time. Komoto Raynar had short-cut dark blue hair, small ears, and a handsome face with green eyes. His gauntlet was black with white markings, and he wore a dark blue boater.

Similarly, Komoto Raynar studied the death knight. He couldn't tell much of his physical figure, besides the fact that he was a large man. Even though the man was dressed in nearly all black, with yellow here and there, the death knight seemed to be further cloaked in a darkness of his own. He looked at the death knight's eyes and was startled to see a deep, innocent blue pair. He opened his mouth to speak.

"So, what's your name?"

"My name is Reki. Bustichia Reki."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Reki," Raynar said.

Reki sighed and stood up, finishing off his food and downing the water. He dropped some coins on the table.

"If you'll excuse me, I must be on my way. It was nice meeting you, Komoto Raynar."

Reki walked to the doorway of the inn and opened the door, leaving Raynar sitting at the table by himself.
DF MQ  Post #: 2
2/1/2012 5:00:30   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 2

Reki wandered down the winding path, uncaring of his direction. He'd passed by a sign informing travelers that the road would take them to Falconreach, but Reki didn't particularly want to go to that city. He often felt out of place among all the heroes that tended to loiter about in Falconreach. They would look down on the death knight with disdain, just like everyone else who ever met him.

"The judgemental fools..." Reki said, in answer to his own thoughts.

He continued down the path and found himself in Surewould Forest. It didn't take long to travel through the forest and reach the gates of Falconreach. Reki thought about all of his possible options from this point.

He could travel back down his previous path, bypassing Verteroche and heading in the direction of Willowshire, Lymcrest, or Dragesvard. He could further explore Surewould Forest. He might also continue down his current path, which would later branch into two. He could pass through Falconreach quickly and travel to Oaklore Keep or Swordhaven, or he could turn east at the gates of Falconreach and travel to Doomwood or the Sandsea. Upon weighing all of these options, he decided to travel to Doomwood. Reki had nothing better to do, after all.

He traversed the short distance between Surewould Forest and Falconreach, finally reaching the branch in the path. As he was about to turn east, a Guardian, one of the protectors of Lore, called out to him.

"Hail, death knight!"

Reki turned his head, loathing himself for not traveling off the path instead.

"Hail, Guardian," he said.

"Are you traveling to Doomwood?" the Guardian asked, and Reki nodded.

"Would you mind some company? I have urgent business in Doomwood, and-"

"I would rather not," Reki said, walking away.

The Guardian chased after him. "Please, sir. The road is dangerous for one man to travel alone. It would benefit us both."

Reki stopped and studied the Guardian. He looked to be strong, carrying his Guardian's Blade on his back. He had his long black hair flowing out from beneath his helm. Reki sighed.

"I suppose, if you don't make yourself a nuisance, you can travel with me as far as Moonridge. Beyond there, you are on your own."

The Guardian saluted Reki. "Thank you, sir! I am Guardian Raven! May I ask your name?"

Reki walked off ahead of Raven. "I am the Death Knight Reki. Hurry up, or I will leave you behind."

Raven chased after Reki. "Yes, sir!"
DF MQ  Post #: 3
2/2/2012 7:23:27   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 3

Reki and Raven walked down the path, which was oddly devoid of life. The Guardian seemed intrigued by everything they walked by. Reki was starting to get annoyed at how the Guardian got energetic over oddly-shaped rocks and larger-than-average trees.

"Have you never traveled this path, Guardian?" he asked.

Raven shook his head. "No, sir. I've never been east of Falconreach. I was born and raised in Swordhaven, and when I joined the Guardians, they assigned me to the Falconreach Tower."

"How long ago was that?"

"About three months ago, sir."

Reki was genuinely interested now. "A Guardian for three months, and they are already sending you to Doomwood? Do you not need more experience before visiting such a dangerous place?"

Raven shook his head again. "Of course, sir, but I requested this assignment. There's something I want to see in that forest."

"And that would be?"

Raven thought for a moment, then turned to Reki, smiling. "I'm not sure yet, sir, but I'll know it when I see it."

"I see," Reki said, and the conversation ended.

They rounded a bend in the path, and the path began to look rougher. Reki was wondering if they were still going in the right direction, or if something had happened on this section of the path. It had been a long time since he had last been to Doomwood, but he knew the path had looked nothing like it did now back then. In addition, the death knight was sensing greater evil than normal coming from inside Doomwood. Reki turned to the Guardian.

"Are you sure you wish to travel to Doomwood, Guardian?"

Raven turned from admiring the trees in the area and nodded. "Positive, sir."

"This forest is not for the faint of heart. You're still young, you need not go to such a terrifying place yet."

Raven stopped in the path, and looked at the death knight with determined eyes. "I must go, sir. No matter the danger, on my pride as a Guardian of Lore, I must go."

Reki sighed and the two continued down the path. "Do as you please," Reki said.

Raven smiled up at his companion. "Unfortunately, I can't always."

Komoto Raynar stood at the gates of Falconreach, looking up at the arching entrance-way. He smiled and stroked his right arm, which was home to his technomancer gauntlet. Deciding on his course of actions, he strode into town.

"I might finally meet him again," he muttered beneath his breath.
DF MQ  Post #: 4
2/3/2012 8:07:34   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 4

Komoto Raynar walked through the busy streets of Falconreach, his head hung low with his boater hiding his face. People gave him wary looks, but he just pushed through them. If he was to meet his target, he needed to hurry. But first, he needed to make arrangements for his stay in the city. He found a building labeled "Falconreach Inn" and opened the door. Raynar walked over to the counter and dropped some coins in front of the innkeeper, who was reading. She looked up and smiled at the technomancer.

"One person? How many nights?"

"Two nights, please," Raynar said, and the innkeeper jotted it down in a notebook.

"Two nights? Please take the top floor room, second on the right."

Raynar nodded and headed up the stairs. He was merely going to drop his things off in his room and go back to his search. He pulled open the door to his room and took a few steps inside. Looking around the room, he noticed a cloaked man sitting in the corner. He was taken by surprise.

"Oh, is this room already taken?" he asked, peering down the hallway. He had entered the room the innkeeper had told him to.

The cloaked figure rose and walked over to Raynar. "Oh, how the mighty will fall, and the tears will roll... And what is the technomancer's role to play, I wonder?"

Raynar's eyes widened in shock. "That voice..."

The figure walked past him and out into the hallway. Turning back, they spoke again, in a woman's voice. "Don't get caught up in things that don't concern you, Komoto Raynar."

She walked away, and Raynar chased after her. Looking down the stairwell, however, there was no sign of her. Raynar cursed beneath his breath. "Night... soul."

Reki and Raven were standing at the edge of Doomwood, and Reki was sensing the evil again. It sent chills over even his, a death knight's, spine. Raven turned to his companion.

"How much further is it to Moonridge, sir?"

Reki was brought back to the real world by Raven's voice. "To Moonridge? We should be able to make it by nightfall. A good thing, too. You don't want to camp inside Doomwood, Guardian."

Raven smiled at the thought of a good meal in Moonridge. "Well, I guess we'd better hurry up then, right, sir?"

Reki nodded. "Right, you are. Let's go."

As they strode into the forest in the twilight, Reki couldn't help but feel they were being watched from the shadows. He passed it off as paranoia and took the lead.
DF MQ  Post #: 5
2/6/2012 10:47:15   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 5

Reki and Raven approached the entrance to Moonridge. Raven saw a Moonridge Knight and he entered into a stiff salute.

"Sir!"

The Knight looked up from his nap and waved his hand wearily. "No need for formalities, lad. What are you here for?"

Raven nodded and left his salute. "Sir, I must talk to Captain Hawke!"

The Knight stood up and pointed to a tower on the outskirts of town. "Over there, young one. And remember your formalities in her presence. She's an unforgiving one..."

Raven turned to Reki. "I'll meet up with you later, sir. Will you be renting us a room?"

Reki nodded. "I also have business to take care of myself, however. We'll meet at the inn later."

Raven ran off toward the tower, and Reki made to go into the main town. The Knight stopped him.

"What business do you have in Moonridge, death knight?"

Reki sighed, though he had expected this treatment. "I'm merely passing through, sir."

The Knight studied him warily. "And your relationship with the young Guardian?"

"Purely coincidental. We met outside Falconreach, and decided to aid each other in our travels," Reki said.

The Knight nodded. "Okay, you may enter the town. But if anything happens-"

"It's the pitchforks and torches, I presume?" Reki laughed, walking away. The Knight cracked a small smile as well.

"It may be more than that."

Raynar passed through the streets of Falconreach the second time that day. He had to look for his man, but had no idea where he might be. Lost in a town where he had been only twice before, he found himself at a small wood bridge spanning an even smaller creek. He sat down beside a tree and decided to take a break.

"Looking for me?" asked a masculine voice from the other side of the tree, and Raynar started to stand up.

"Don't look," the voice said, and Raynar sat back down.

"How'd you know where I'd look?" asked the technomancer, and the voice laughed.

"I know you, Raynar. I knew you'd get lost in this sprawling city, and I know your fondness for nature. I knew that if you got lost, and wound up here, you'd take a break and enjoy the scenery."

Raynar clenched his teeth. "You know me too well, Lupus."

Lupus laughed again. "I suppose so. How's the arm?"

Raynar smiled. "And here I thought we were just gonna keep to small talk. The arm's working fine, and at least I don't have to look at it every day."

"That's good. So it seems you're not after me for revenge, are you?" asked Lupus.

Raynar scoffed. "I still want to kill you for this, I've just come to terms with it. But right now, I just want to ask you a question."

"And what would that be?" Lupus asked, feigning surprise.

"If it weren't for what just happened, I would be trying to kill you. But now, I have to ask... Why is Nightsoul on the move?"

Lupus was genuinely surprised now. "She's what?!"

Raynar nodded, though he knew they couldn't see each other. "She was in my room at the inn when I was there. You mean you didn't know she had reappeared?"

"I didn't..." Lupus said, thoughtfully.

Raynar stood up. "Well then, now you know. Next time we meet, I'm killing you, Lupus. You had better run far away if you wish to avoid fate." Raynar walked away, leaving Lupus to think about his new information.

Reki stood at the Moonridge fountain, his eyes sad and lonely. He placed his hand against the stone longingly.

"Where could you have gone... Nightsoul?" he asked himself aloud, then, gathering his emotions, he headed to the inn.

< Message edited by BustichiaReki -- 2/6/2012 15:19:30 >
DF MQ  Post #: 6
2/7/2012 7:42:48   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 6

Raven saluted Captain Hawke. "I am Guardian Raven, ma'am, bringing news from the Falconreach Guardian Tower."

The Captain nodded, but continued looking out the horizon. "Your business?"

Raven pulled a sheet of paper from inside his shirt. "Erm, let's see... It reads, 'The Guardians regret that we cannot at this time send any reinforcements for your Knights, who are so bravely-'"

The Captain held up her hand. "The usual business, then. And your true purpose?"

Raven smiled. "I'm to wander Doomwood, taking notes, and in 6 months' time, report back to my superiors."

The Captain nodded. "Try not to die."

Raven laughed. "I'll do my best."

Reki walked up to the inn, wiping stray tears from his face. As he opened the door to the inn, everybody backed away from him. Reki sighed and walked up to the innkeeper, who smiled bitterly up at the death knight.

"May I reserve a room for two?"

The innkeeper looked around. He stared at Reki with distrusting eyes.

"And where be your companion, death knight?"

"He'll be here shortly. You'll recognize him as being a young Guardian," Reki said.

Several of the inn's patrons reached a hand for their weapons. Reki backed up and held up his hands.

"And what dark magic did you use to brainwash the Guardian into doing your bidding?" asked the innkeeper.

Reki shook his head. "We are merely short-time traveling companions. I have done nothing to him."

The innkeeper pulled out a dagger from below the counter he sat behind. "We'll see if that's true or not after you're dead, death knight."

The innkeeper and patrons were encroaching upon Reki from all angles. The death knight sighed and dropped his arms.

"So that's how it is?"

Raynar passed back through the streets of Falconreach, looking for the inn where he was staying that night. Getting even more lost, the technomancer grabbed a random person passing by.

"Hi! Can you help me find th-"

Raynar stopped and looked down at his stomach, and pulling out the dagger that had found it's way in. "This just isn't my day, is it? And what's your name, murderer?"

The blue-haired young man laughed. "You won't die from that wound, but you will be out for a while, Komoto Raynar."

Raynar smiled. "Heh, seems everybody knows who I am..."

He lost consciousness.

Raven heard a crashing sound from inside the inn. He picked up his pace and burst into the building. He nearly vomited at the site he beheld before him.

The innkeeper and the patrons had all been killed, and Reki stood in the center, a look of shock over his face. Raven walked up to the death knight.

"Sir, are you all right?"

Reki turned slowly towards Raven's face. "It happened again..."
DF MQ  Post #: 7
3/8/2012 22:56:03   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 7

Reki collapsed into Raven's arms. "It happened... It happened... It happened..."

Raven held Reki gently, placing him against the wall. "Calm down, sir. What happened here, exactly?"

Reki looked Raven straight in the eyes, clearly terrified of something. "It came out... I told it not to, but it came out anyway..."

Raven eyed Reki questioningly, as a Moonridge Knight, the same one they had met earlier, walked in through the door. Disgusted, he almost turned away, but caught sight of Reki and Raven. His eyes became stern.

"So, you've made your move, Death Knight?"

Raynar opened his eyes. He tried to get up, but he was strapped down on a cold metal table. A person, the same man who had stabbed him, stood over him.

"Ah, I see you're awake, Komoto Raynar."

Raynar studied the man. He was quite handsome, with long indigo hair flowing down out of sight. He wore a rogue's leather armor, with a lab coat over it.

"Where am I?"

The man smiled pleasantly at Raynar. "The laboratory of Lord Paper Clip. Oh, that's me! Yay!"

Raynar sighed. "Look, just let me out of here. I won't tell anyone about you stabbing me..."

Lord Paper laughed hysterically, twirling a scalpel in his hand. "My dear Raynar, you won't be leaving here quite so easily. You must play out your role."

Raynar looked up at the cieling. "At least let me wear my boater while you experiment..."

The Knight glared at Reki. "What did you do to them? You killed them, didn't you?"

Raven stood up, blocking the Knight's view of Reki. "Sir Knight, do you really think it possible for a single man to kill a room full of people? Don't you think something else is going on here? Just look at Sir Reki! He's completely broken from the trauma!" He showed the Knight Reki's pitiful form, talking to himself in a corner of the room. The Knight thought for a moment, then relaxed.

"Alright. Tell me what happened here, then."

Raven shook his head. "You'd have to ask Reki once he comes to, sir."

The Knight strode over to Reki's side and crouched down, trying to comfort the Death Knight. "Death Knight, I apologize for my rude behavior to the only surviving victim. My name is Draketh, a mercenary in the employment of the Moonridge Knights. Can you tell me what happened here?"

Reki looked at Draketh, trembling in fear. "It came out..."

"What came out?" Draketh asked.

Reki looked at the bloody corpses in front of him, tears welling in his eyes.

"My... monster."
DF MQ  Post #: 8
3/9/2012 22:05:02   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 8

Draketh held Reki's face in front of his, and looked the death knight straight in the eyes. "What do you mean, 'your monster'?"

Reki stared out into space, only faintly hearing the Knight's voice. "It always comes out at the worst times... I can't control it... You should get away... Before it happens again..."

Draketh motioned for Raven to come over, and the Guardian joined his side.

"Take him up to a room before the other Knights get here. We don't want this to get worse than it already is," he explained, and Raven nodded. Tossing the heavily armored Death Knight over his shoulder, Raven trudged up the stairs of the inn. Draketh sat down at a chair and sighed, exasperated.

"How am I going to explain this one?"

Lupus stood in the Falconreach Inn, where Komoto Raynar had said he'd seen Nightsoul. He looked at the walls, the floor, the ceiling, and in every nook and cranny. He opened Raynar's room and searched there. Finally, he slumped down in the hallway, giving up on the search.

"I guess she didn't leave a note for anyone... I wonder if she spoke to Raynar?"

Crawling into Raynar's vacant room, he closed the door and shut his eyes, falling asleep right behind the door.

"Hahahaha!!! Why do you wish to wear your hat now, of all times? I might kill you!" Lord Paper Clip said, in response to Raynar's asking to wear his boater.

"That's why I want to wear it. If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die with my boater on my head," Raynar told him. Lord Clip thought on this a moment, then nodded.

"Okay. I'll let you wear it. But in exchange, you have to let me dissect any part of you I want to, with no crying."

Raynar nodded. "I'll accept that."

Lord Paper Clip walked away for a moment, then returned with the boater. Placing it on Raynar's head, he smiled. "Let's get started, then."

He removed Raynar's shirt and twirled his scalpel happily. Pulling off the technomancer gauntlet, however, the scalpel fell from his hand.

"What... is this? This... No one could live with this..."

Raynar's left arm was burned, shredded, and looked to be falling apart. Raynar grimaced as he recalled how he'd gotten the wounds.

"This... is my nightmare."

Reki was asleep in a bed, with Guardian Raven sitting by his side, when Draketh came into the room. Raven stood up, bowing to the Knight.

"Sir."

Draketh strode over to Reki's side. "How is he?"

"He seems to be recuperating, sir. He wasn't wounded, so all the damage was psychological," Raven said. Draketh nodded.

"They're carrying out the victims now. The Moonridge Knights are nothing but mercenaries. We weren't really expecting anything like this to happen, and many weren't mentally prepared for it. You two should stay here until things calm down. I'll make regular visits up here to bring you food and check on the Death Knight," the Knight said as he walked out of the room. From outside the doorway, he looked back at Raven. "Are we sure the Death Knight didn't do this?"

Raven nodded. "I haven't known Sir Reki long, but I believe he wouldn't do something like this, sir."

Draketh sighed. "Well, if the Guardian says so, I'll just have to believe it."

He closed the door quietly, and Reki turned in his bed. "...soul..."
DF MQ  Post #: 9
3/12/2012 5:10:43   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 9

Reki fell out of the bed, his death knight armor splintering the floor. Raven rushed over to his side.

"Are you okay, sir?" he asked. Reki ran his fingers through his hair.

"I'm... fine. Is it morning yet?"

Raven looked out the window. "It's midday, sir. You slept through the morning."

Reki sat up, stretching. "I see... I suppose I'll head down to the tavern and eat some breakfast."

Raven turned pale. "You can't do that."

Reki turned to the Guardian. "What do you mean, 'I can't do that'?"

"You don't remember what happened?" Raven asked, confused.

Reki stood up and pushed past Raven. "I don't know what you are going on about, but I'm hungry. I am going to have some bacon and eggs, and you won't be stopping me."

Raven grabbed the death knight's arm. "I have to, sir, for your own safety."

Reki trudged on, unhindered by the Guardian clinging to him. "Just try it," he said, pulling open the door. Reki almost walked into Draketh, who was holding a platter of breakfast foods. The Knight smiled.

"Someone call room service?"

Lord Paper Clip sighed and put Raynar's technomancer gauntlet back on the mutilated arm. "I can't do anything with it if you won't tell me what caused it, you know."

Raynar shrugged. "Your loss, not mine."

The scientist smiled deviously. "Or, I can just keep you tied to this metal table until you tell me."

Raynar shrugged again. "Do what you will."

Lord Clip sat down, exasperated from dealing with his noncompliant test subject. "You are the most annoying person I have ever experimented on. I'm tempted to just kill you."

Raynar smiled. "But you won't."

"How do you know?" Lord Clip asked, wondering where the technomancer found all of his confidence.

"I just know."

The scientist twirled his scalpel. "Such baseless confidence..."

Lupus walked through the streets of Falconreach, looking for any sign that Nightsoul had been there. He was beginning to think that Raynar had lied to him, to get his hopes up, and then crush them with the truth. Just as he was about to give up, he spotted a shadow moving in an alley off to his side. Having no other leads, but not expecting anything, he chased after it half-heartedly.

In the alley, he looked around, but didn't see anything. As he turned to leave, however, he saw the shadow move again, turning down another alley. He followed after it.

Catching up to the shadow here, he grabbed the person and turned him around. He couldn't see a face because of a dark cowl, and when he tried to pull it back, an armored hand pushed him away.

"Lupus T. Wolf, I have something to tell you," the figure said in a deep, metallic voice. Lupus backed away, suddenly frightened.

"And what would that be?"

"If you wish to see Nightsoul again, you will have to work with the one you fear most of all," he said, and turned to walk away. Lupus took a step forward.

"Who are you? How do you know me? How do you know Nightsoul?"

A metallic chuckle came from behind the cloak. "I am Elegar Shimrat Pummel. Remember my name, for it shall be the most important when the time comes."

The shadowy figure dissolved into the shadows, leaving Lupus with many questions, no answers, and no leads to Nightsoul.

"So, you don't remember anything about yesterday?" Draketh asked Reki, who was calmly eating his breakfast. The death knight shook his head.

"I remember seeing you at the front gate, and heading to the inn to reserve a room for myself and the Guardian. Beyond that, I have no recollection. Would you please tell me why you won't let me leave this room?"

Draketh sighed and, looking out the door, ensured no one would overhear their conversation. Closing the door, he returned to his seat across from Reki, while Raven sat on th floor, against the wall.

"We found you yesterday standing amongst the murdered corpses of the innkeeper and his patrons, rambling to yourself. You're telling me you don't know what that was about?"

Reki shrugged. "I have no idea."

Draketh slumped back in his chair. "Well, this is a problem... But at least you're not a suspect, since I'm the only one that saw you coming into town yesterday. You should be able to leave this room safely now."

Reki washed down his food with a glass of water. "Then, I believe I shall do just that."
DF MQ  Post #: 10
3/14/2012 17:14:35   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 10

Nightsoul drifted in endless darkness. She had no thoughts, no worries, nothing. She simply existed, and she was content with that. She layed back in the void and floated off.

As she floated through the nothingness, she spotted a dim, far-off light. Interested, she floated towards it. As she neared closer to it, she sighed, relieved, knowing what the light was.

"So, you've finally appeared..." she said. The light blinked.

"I know..."

Reki walked down the steps of the inn, towards the tavern. Raven and Draketh trailed behind him, still worried, though unnecessarily. Reki turned around and faced them when he reached the bottom of the stairs.

"I am heading further into Doomwood to retrieve something. What plans do the two of you have in mind?" he asked. The Guardian smiled.

"I've been stationed to Doomwood for the next five months, sir. I was thinking of travelling to Amityvale and keeping an eye on things there."

The death knight nodded and turned to the Knight. "And you, mercenary?"

Draketh shrugged. "I'm still on the Knight's payrole, so I suppose I shall be staying here for the time being."

Reki turned around and started walking away. "So, we go our separate ways, then. I wish the two of you the best of luck."

Raven looked at Draketh, and they shared a look. They both started walking after Reki.

"Unfortunately, I can't let you do that," Draketh said. Reki stopped in his tracks and faced them again.

"What do you mean?"

Draketh shrugged. "Who knows when what happened yesterday will happen again? Someone needs to keep an eye on you, and as a Moonridge Knight, that would be my duty. So, you have two choices, death knight. Stay here, or allow me to keep tabs on you."

Reki looked at Raven. "Do you share his sentiments, Guardian?"

Raven looked away, embarrassed. "Just a bit."

Reki turned away from them. "Well, you can lose them. From here on, I travel alone. I only travelled with you from Falconreach because you looked weak."

Raven grabbed Reki's shoulder, holding him from going any further. "Even if you don't allow us to go with you, we will follow you anyway. It is our duty as protector of the people. We'll protect you, and the people around you."

Reki shoved Raven's arm away, displeased with the conversation. "I understand those thoughts in you, but the Knight here is a mercenary, working for whoever pays more. Why should he come?"

Draketh leaned against the wall, and thought for a moment. "Maybe... I'm tired of the mercenary life?"

Reki grunted in annoyance. "Do what you will. Get in my way, however, and I shall toss you on the wayside." He left the tavern.

Draketh and Raven shared a look of triumph and followed Reki out the tavern.

Lord Paper Clip released the bonds from Raynar's limbs. "Get out."

Raynar looked at Lord Clip in confusion. "What?"

Lord Clip scoffed. "I'm sick of your presence. Just get out."

Raynar considered his options, then looked back at Lord Clip. "No."

"Would you please just leave me alone? I have other specimens to dissect."

Raynar lifted his left arm and pointed the technomancer gauntlet in Lord Clip's face. "I don't think you do."

Lord Clip laughed. "You intend to fight me? You've had neither food nor water for two days, and you've been tied to the table the entire time. You don't have the strength."

Raynar shrugged. "You annoy me. This is repayment."

Lord Clip twirled his scalpel and smiled. "Well, you'd be much more compliant dead... And it won't be my fault, as you're the one who attacked me... Which means I can do this blame free!"

He pointed the scalpel at Raynar's neck. "You or me, then?"
DF MQ  Post #: 11
3/15/2012 0:28:12   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 11

Raynar fired his gauntlet, but Lord Clip ducked underneath the gauntlet and scratched Raynar's stomach with the scalpel. Raynar transformed the gauntlet into a blade and stabbed down, but only sliced the scientist's arm as he backed away.

Raynar reverted his gauntlet to it's default state and fired 3 blasts. Lord Clip ran away, dodging the shots, as the gauntlet's magic hit chemicals bubbling on the other side of the room. A few of them reacted with minor explosions or puffs of smoke.

"You're not gonna hit me with that!" Lord Clip jeered, believing he had the upper hand. Raynar loaded his gauntlet with magic again and fired 3 shots again, but they were projectiles rather than magic.

"I don't need to hit you," Raynar said, as the room exploded.

Reki turned on Raven and Draketh. "Are the pair of you really going to follow me?"

"Yes," they said in unison, with no hesitation.

Reki sighed. "No choice then. I obviously can't stop you while I'm still unarmed."

"Why don't you have a weapon, sir? You could easily get one at any town."

Reki stopped, thinking about the past for a brief moment. Then, he continued on his way, the two trailing him.

"I discarded my weapon when I became a Death Knight. I'm actually in Doomwood to retrieve it."

"Is there anything important about that weapon, that you only seem to want to use it?" Draketh asked.

Reki closed his eyes, struggling with what to tell his companions. "Important? Not really... Just sentimental."

With that, the trio continued on their way out of Moonridge, silently.

Lupus was sleeping in the alleyway where he had met Pummel. He often slept in alleys like this, as he rarely had the money to afford an inn. A dark-cloaked figure walked up to him.

They knelt down beside Lupus and pulled out a small blue piece of paper, and tucked it into Lupus's clothing.

"May this guide you on your path..." Nightsoul said, as she walked away.

The walls of the laboratory were crumbled. Water dripped from a busted pipe where the ceiling used to be, and the room was covered in rubble. Suddenly, a hand popped out from under the rubble.

Lord Paper Clip pulled himself out from beneath the debris and dusted off his lab coat. He cleared off the metal table and sat down, dejected.

"Well, this lab's useless now, thanks to that technomancer... That guy won't know where to find me now."
DF MQ  Post #: 12
3/16/2012 12:08:01   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 12: Raynar's Past, Part One

Komoto Raynar and Lupus T. Wolf sat on a rooftop at night, looking out over the city of Dragesvard. Lupus drew a cloak close around him, but Raynar didn't appear to be affected by the cold. Raynar laid back and sighed.

"Why are we here again?" Lupus asked, his teeth chattering.

Raynar looked over at his companion, with a bored look. "We're waiting for Nightsoul."

"Who is that, though? And why are we meeting her in Dragesvard?"

"She's a dear friend of mine, but she often disappears for months at a time. I got a letter from her telling me she'd be here in a few days."

"And you came just to see her?" Lupus asked, questioning Raynar's motives.

"If it had just been that, I'd have sent a reply and left it at that. But she said she had something to tell me in person," Raynar explained. Lupus sighed shakily and looked out across the horizon.

"Well, I hope she gets here soon... I'm not good in this kind of weather."

Raynar chuckled, and pulled a boater out of a bag by his side. Placing it on his head, he stood up and walked to the rooftop's chimney, where he sat down with his back against the brick.

"She'll be here soon."

Lupus jumped off the roof and landed two stories below. The impact numbed his legs.

"Woah... I thought that would be easier..."

He looked up at the roof and shook his head. "I just can't stay there... It's too cold, and the wind blows unchecked. I need warmth..."

He walked down the street, where all the houses were dark, the inhabitants asleep for the night. Finally, he came to a tavern, the only building still brimming with life, and pushed the door open.

The tavern was filled with people in heavy cloaks, downing their drinks in hearty chatter. Lupus pulled up a chair at a table near to the hearth, and exhaled the cold air from his lungs.

A waitress walked up to him, ready to take his order. "What will you be having tonight, sir?"

"I'll just have a cup of tea... It's pretty cold tonight."

"That it is, sir. I'd stay indoors for the next few days. There's a cold wind blowing," the waitress advised, and then walked away to fix Lupus's tea. She returned a moment later with the cup, and Lupus sipped on it slowly, letting the heat invade his insides.

"Care if I take this seat?" a feminine voice asked, and Lupus turned to his left, the direction the voice came from. He found himself face to face with the most beautiful girl he'd ever met.

She had long, silky black hair down her back, and the kindest, bluest eyes a person could own. He couldn't tell much besides that, because she was wearing a body-length black coat.

"Sure, I don't mind," he found himself saying, though he wasn't sure why. He wasn't fond of company, but she seemed like a nice person.

"Found a sunny sanctuary from the unpleasant wind here?" she asked, in an extremely formal tone. Lupus shrugged.

"I guess. I really just couldn't stand where I was at before. My friend pulled me all the way out here to meet someone, but he didn't make any arrangements. Kind of silly of him, if you ask me."

The woman laughed, a light, lilting laugh. "He must be an interesting person."

Lupus smiled roughly. "Yeah, I guess he's interesting... But he can get on my nerves sometimes, too."

The woman stared into the fire, her eyes suddenly distant. "I have quite a few interesting friends, myself..."

Lupus sipped from his cup again. "Say, what's your name? I'm Lupus."

The woman was startled from her thoughts, and turned to Lupus. "My name is... Nightsoul."

The cup fell from Lupus's hand, shattering against the floor, and spraying him with tea.

The paladin plowed down the street, forcing himself through the heavy wind, until he reached the building his companion had told him about. Looking at the windows, he knew the man he was looking for was not inside. He glanced up to the roof and saw a foot hanging loosely over the side. He grabbed onto the side of the building and began climbing up.

Pulling himself onto the roof, he saw the body of a technomancer, young and fit, wearing a boater, exactly as had been described to him. He walked over to the man and poked him with an armored boot. The technomancer woke up and looked at the paladin.

"You're not Lupus," Raynar said drowsily. The paladin picked him up and tossed him over his shoulder, then jumped down the two stories to the ground. He landed easily, unaffected by the impact. Raynar was now awake and confused.

"Hey, where are you taking me?!"

The paladin started walking down the street. "To see Nightsoul."
DF MQ  Post #: 13
3/29/2012 14:14:57   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 13: Raynar's Past, Part Two

The paladin walked through the door, and all the commotion in the tavern quieted down as the patrons watched him carry his living package to Nightsoul's table. He put Raynar into a chair, roughly, and bowed to Nightsoul.

"I deliver the technomancer."

Nightsoul nodded to the paladin. "Thank you, Bust-"

The paladin raised his hand. "Only repaying the favor. I shall take my leave now."

The paladin stomped out of the tavern, as Nightsoul turned to Raynar, who was shivering from his sudden trip through the cold.

"Do you know why I called you here, Raynar?" she asked him kindly. Raynar shook his head, teeth chattering.

"Who was that paladin?" asked Lupus, who had watched the previous events with an air of indifference.

Nightsoul looked at Lupus and shook her head calmly. "He apparently does not wish for the two of you to know him. So I must respect his wishes."

Lupus shrugged his shoulders. "No loss, then."

Raynar drew his clothes tight around him, hoping to regain warmth. "So, what did you want to tell me?"

Nightsoul's eyes suddenly grew dark and serious. "This is a very important matter for you, Raynar."

Raynar looked at her directly. "What is it?"

"It's about your brother."

Raynar suddenly forgot that he was cold. He stood up and looked down at Nightsoul, worry in his eyes. "What's happened to him?!"

"He's been-" Nightsoul started, but was cut off as someone came flying through the tavern door. Picking himself up out of the splinters, the paladin glanced at Nightsoul.

"He's found us," the man stated, pulling a black katana from it's sheath by his side.
DF MQ  Post #: 14
4/1/2012 19:37:22   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 14, Raynar's Past Part Three

It had begun to snow outside, and flakes were blowing into the tavern through the hole that used to be the door. A metallic sound rang out from the darkness, and a man in a cloak walked into the bar.

"Why are you here?" asked the paladin, clenching a black katana in his hand. The cloaked figure turned to him and chuckled, with a metallic ring, like from inside a visor.

"Hahaha, is that you, Bustichia? I thought you were some meager peasant!" The cloaked figure turned to Nightsoul, while Bustichia ground his teeth together, wanting for a fight.

"My dear Nightsoul, how do you do this fine evening? Come to tell precious Raynar our very important secret?"

Nightsoul glared at the figure. "Go die, Pummel."

Pummel laughed again, louder. "Oh, how I love interacting with you people! You're so interesting, and full of hatred! Just my type of person!"

"Who is this guy?" asked Raynar, feeling the sudden chill from outside more than anyone else. Bustichia turned to the technomancer.

"He is the man who kidnapped, brainwashed, and is currently using your brother as a weapon against the kingdom and townspeople," he explained.

Raynar's eyes widened in shock. He stood up slowly, and staggered to Pummel. He ripped off the cloak from the figure, who did nothing to stop him.

The Doom Knight Pummel stood before them, his face hidden by the visor of his red and black helm. He chuckled once again.

"Your brother Arch is merely a tool. I shall dispose of him when he has run his course. I am here for a different matter..." He looked past Nightsoul, and everyone looked behind her.

For the first time, they noticed that all the tavern patrons had fallen unconscious. Among the number, was Lupus. He sat slumped in a chair, where he had been when Pummel tossed Bustichia through the door. Raynar stepped between Pummel and Lupus.

"I won't let you hurt Lupus," he stated, determination in his eyes, tears running down his cheeks as he thought of his brother. Pummel scoffed.

"Hmph. Do you really think I view you as a threat, technomancer?" he asked. Raynar lifted his gauntlet to the Doom Knight's visor.

"I think that one well-aimed shot can end any battle."

Just then, Bustichia leaped at Pummel from behind, cleaving his katana into the Doom Knight's shoulder. Pummel laughed hysterically as black smoke rose out of the cut.

"You can not hurt me in your current state, fools! Not even you, Paladin. Your powers of light and good have no effect on me! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Pummel lifted his arm with the cut and punched Raynar in the jaw, sending him flying across the tavern.
DF MQ  Post #: 15
4/17/2012 15:25:49   
Bustichia
Constructively Helpful!

Chapter 15, Raynar's Past Part Four

Raynar threw his gauntlet arm behind him and fired, slowing himself down. He hit the wall, but did not fall. Instead, he grasped it and steadied himself.

"You will not take Lupus," he said, his eyes showing a dangerous look. Pummel scoffed.

"I'll take who I will," he retorted.

Raynar took a step forward. "You will return Arch."

"I'll do no such thing."

Raynar took another step forward. "You will not harm Nightsoul."

Pummel laughed. "Your demands seem awfully heavy! Can you ensure these?"

Raynar spat, and Bustichia noticed it was a terrible mixture of spittle, blood, and teeth.

"I'll do what I can," Raynar said.

"Well, then. Have fun accomplishing nothing," Pummel responded. Behind him, Bustichia was creeping up. Raynar noticed this and let slip a slight grin.

"I'm not the only who can do what they can."

Things happened all at once. Pummel turned on Bustichia as the latter tackled him, Raynar formed a blade with his gauntlet and rushed Pummel, and Nightsoul, who had stood by the sidelines quietly, fired off a spell of darkness which Raynar didn't recognize.

The group was no longer in the tavern. Raynar was dashing down a castle hall, and Pummel and Bustichia were wrestling on a rug the color of deep crimson. Lupus lay on a raised platform. Nightsoul was leaning against a column, obviously spent.

What surprised Raynar, however, was Arch. His brother stood above the duo wrestling, but they hadn't seemed to notice him. He was holding a wickedly curved knife. Raynar ran faster as his brother swung his arm down at the wrestlers.

Raynar winced as he heard the sound of armor ripping. He reached the three and dropped to his knees. Arch had stabbed Pummel's visor, and Pummel had punched Arch. However, Arch had not moved. Pummel's fist had entered his body. He looked at Raynar, tears running from his eyes.

"I tried," he muttered, before going limp. Raynar caught him in his arms, tears running from his own eyes.

"I know you did."
DF MQ  Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> Bustichia Reki, The Lost Warrior
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition