Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Fighting for Creativity

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Fighting for Creativity
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/8/2012 6:03:17   
SylvanElf

I've spent thousands of credits and much time devising various creative builds for my char (34 TM);
most of them I can fight fairly successfully with (2.0-3.0 win ratio in 1v1), but NONE of them even come close to the effectiveness of the cooky-cutter power builds that I see the vast majority of 34's using.

Much of what I enjoyed about ED when I began in Beta was the great variety of strategies and builds possible, but these days it's the exception to fight someone who uses a build or strat that is creative.
I want to challenge everyone to come up with their own creative builds or strategies, even if it means a worse ratio versus the power builds.

That means something BESIDES:
BH: Strength - Massacre
TM: Dex - Supercharge | Tech - Plasma caster
Merc: Strength - Stun/Zerk | Support - Artillery Strike
CH: Dex - Massacre or Multishot
BM: Strength - Fireball/Zerk
TLM: Strength - tank 'n strike

Besides Strength in general really.

There's a full 4 stats to work with, not just one to spam and the rest to cover the requirements.
Discuss civilly please =).

< Message edited by SylvanElf -- 4/8/2012 6:07:26 >
Post #: 1
4/8/2012 9:33:44   
Ranloth
Banned

Creativity ceases to exist when there's power builds. Only way to stop power builds effectively is becoming one yourself which is really sad as game gets really dull and repetitive..
I used Support TM since Beta, was great with Heal but had it recently as well as it's fun. Only about 2 weeks ago, I changed to Dex SC build for more wins as I kept losing more and more. It's free wins and much quicker at cost of efortless build which I'm against and will probably swap back once it's either changed or get bored of it.
My Merc is Lvl 29 and he uses Bunker but I went with Adrenaline build as well as utilizing Atom and Maul because both can come handy, especially Atom. It's kinda Tank Merc but I manage to dish out fairly good damage and use variety of skills, Intimidate being one of them! :D

As long as power builds rule, there will be less creativity than in Beta. This should be slightly fixed once power builds/abusers get nerfed which will make us able to have less abusive builds, so not getting 140+ Str or Tech but perhaps somewhere along of 90-100 where it'll do good deal of damage but you can focus on other skills so you won't kill yourself.
BHs are fun class, I'd say all builds are good with them - Support, Tank, Focus 5, Str, Dex, anything really. I've liked the class a lot, as well as Merc and TM which can be creative unlike Evolved Classes but creativity in BHs and TM was lost due to abusive build which everyone must either put up with and probably lose or turn one yourself.. :/
AQ Epic  Post #: 2
4/8/2012 9:57:38   
MrBones

There is always two sides of the medal.
Personnally I have a love hate relationship with power builts. We are here to get some wins [as it is the main point of this game]. The reasons we want to get those wins are all good and legitimate. My opinion is that we should get more freedom.

Since last year, there were many nerfs. I don't think they resulted in anything really positive in the long run. People complain, they nerf this or that. People complain about something else, they nerf it. When I read comments like SylvanElf:
quote:

I've spent thousands of credits and much time devising various creative builds for my char (34 TM);
most of them I can fight fairly successfully with (2.0-3.0 win ratio in 1v1), but NONE of them even come close to the effectiveness of the cooky-cutter power builds that I see the vast majority of 34's using.

What I hear is: BoooHoo I made a built that is not working to my taste but I though I was a genius so change the whole game for me!

quote:

As long as power builds rule, there will be less creativity than in Beta. This should be slightly fixed once power builds/abusers get nerfed which will make us able to have less abusive builds, so not getting 140+ Str or Tech but perhaps somewhere along of 90-100 where it'll do good deal of damage but you can focus on other skills so you won't kill yourself.

Then we will all have the same kind of builts, and doing about the same kind of dammage no matter what the skill we invest in. That would be quite boring too. Why don't they let us have more freedom ? Open the game to anything. Remove all restrictions, nerfs. Whats is the point of the game if I win one out of two battles systematically ?? That's even more boring to me.

quote:

There's a full 4 stats to work with, not just one to spam and the rest to cover the requirements.

Here is one of the main point I would like to discuss. Those 4 stats seems to be left with chance alot. Why does a strentgh built start a figth with the built being so weak in support ?? Same goes for deflections, blocks etc..
If those stats were more revelant and meaningfull, THEN we could use them strategically to our advantage. With so much left to luck there is no room to play.

A perfect game is impossible. Perfect balance, especially in a PvP, is extremely hard to acheive. But all I can say is this:

BE REALLY REALLY REALLY CAREFULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

I love you all

I am kind of a big deal, so don't act like you're not impressed.
- Abraham Lincoln
Epic  Post #: 3
4/8/2012 10:00:51   
Stabilis

For TlM:

Lowest Str possible, highest Sup possible, 95 or 125 health, E armour, Assault Bot, MAX level Field Commander, MAX level Mineral Armour, Level 6 Reroute, remaining points on Field Medic.

Options:

Auxiliary, healing, Field Commander for Str damage or partners in 2v2, Assault Bot special.

AQ Epic  Post #: 4
4/8/2012 10:47:36   
One Winged Angel1357

Oh god it is a sad day when my Beta Caster build is now labeled as a cookie cutter build. I spent since the level cap was thirty perfecting this build and even today I will randomly go out and do 100 fights to see how I can improve my build(trying to get to the magic 50-50 mark with my build).

But I can see how the repeated buffs to the Plasma Bolt build(I count at least two major ones, a six point increase in damage in Gamma and the more recent slash on energy cost) make it a cookie cutter build.

So for my creative build I'm just going to reference my 2v1 build.
High Assim, mid heal, high reroute, mid DA
It is very effective against Edgar as me and trans took him down in one complete go(the round before got cut off early by a DC)

Cool thing about that build is it sounds very offensive but to use it correctly it requires a good amount of health dex and tech so you can keep on fighting because you really have no heavy hitting attacks but the build is made to weaken the enemy by taking hits that cost energy and then using Assim to keep stealing off the energy until nothing is left. So in essence you are a leech or the energy kind.

For an on the fly change to my caster build I think it came out pretty well I just need some more health and I will be set but I can keep adding in enhancements on Dex or Tech and taking stat points from there and moving them to health and I will have fixed that problem
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 5
4/8/2012 14:20:16   
ScarletReaper

My bloodmage uses a high tech tank build with max energy bunker buster, plasma rain, and bloodlust. Not exactly cookie cutter build as almost all of em use strength build. lol

DF AQW Epic  Post #: 6
4/8/2012 16:58:06   
SylvanElf

@Trans, Depressed Void, Angel1257, ScarletReaper- Some awesome creative build ideas guys ^^ Very nice. I'd love to see and fight clever builds like those. Keep 'em coming!

@Mr. Bones- I think perhaps we're not understanding each other. All I meant by the first paragraph was that I'd put a lot of effort into trying to come up with something new and creative that worked; I then was using that statement as evidence that it's hard to find a *new* or creative build that is worth using versus all the popular ones. Hence my challenge to all of you to help me find and make creative ones to spice up the gameplay =).

One build I used for 2v2 and 2v1 (Tech Mage) was Phys Armor and enough Tech for 29-35 Res, 4 focus bot, 10 Reroute, 7 Field Medic, 10 Plasma Rain, 3 Malf. I used a sword with this build, so it can work for sword mages as well as staff mages.
Strat idea was to be survivable enough to withstand going last without dying, a mild Malf to apply when appropriate, and energy use mainly for survival (Field Medic) with one Plasma Rain once one of the opponents was down far enough to die by it.
Interestingly, it worked enough for some 1v1, especially using Plasma Rain as a last resort move when nearly full on mana and nearly empty of health, FM being on cooldown.
Main weakness I found was my bot and malf being blocked consistently due to low dex, and the disadvantage of not having Deadly Aim. Still, I had fun with it and I might come back to using it soon.

Love you all too XD.

< Message edited by SylvanElf -- 4/8/2012 17:07:23 >
Post #: 7
4/8/2012 17:41:08   
TurkishIncubus

Balance team focuses on killing strategy in every class, with this balance actions we will never see a strategic game. Everybody will copy 1-2 build and spam.

Str Bh was strategic build in Gamma after % skill nerf it become "smoke-strike-strike-massacre"
SC TM can be count strategic i think cause it can use Asim-malf-bludgeon-heal-Super Charge-Overload-Reroute-deadly aim-defmatrix-technician so that makes they use 10/12 of the skill tree with 1 build
Caster Mage, No need to mention, im still suprised that build is working(mostly working cause ppl dont know how to win)
I dont think Merc got any build option
Im using Heallooper build with CH and it can be count strategic
BM, again no need to mention, also its very ridiculous they hit every attack with very funny dex.
The old str TLM was the most strategic class ever been. First of all it uses 0 super move, 2nd it can use 9/12 skill effectively with 1 build. But now thx for balance team they also forced to healer-spamer builds.

Epic  Post #: 8
4/8/2012 17:51:45   
Stabilis

^

Heal loop or heal once, every class has Field Medic, so the skill can be considered strategic, but having it be a linear pattern (heal loop) is not.
AQ Epic  Post #: 9
4/8/2012 17:54:50   
TurkishIncubus

^ :P but i like it , atleast its not spam like BM or Tm :l
Epic  Post #: 10
4/8/2012 17:57:25   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

@turkish Not spam? You spam Field Medic to heal and Static Charge to get the energy to heal more.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
4/8/2012 17:59:54   
TurkishIncubus

^
quote:

atleast its not spam like BM or Tm :l

you spam heal but you can also use malf-emp-def matrix depends on your oponent. thats why i said not spam like BM and TM
Epic  Post #: 12
4/8/2012 18:05:05   
DeathGuard

@Turkish: You were a TM some time ago so I don't know why you say we SPAM when you SPAM too.
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 13
4/8/2012 18:11:48   
Wootz

Dunno about the other Cyber Hunters.
But I use an almost 4 focus (Because I have 37 Technology) Maxed Static Charge, Maxed Malfuncion, Maxed Massacre build. And now tell me that isn't creative/unique.
Its fun because people are actually exiting the game when they see this build. And this isn't the first time I use this build, I used it before Plasma Armor and people ran away.
Its awesome!
AQW Epic  Post #: 14
4/8/2012 18:12:53   
DeathGuard

@Wootz: You're the king of awesomeness :3
Off topic: Hiya bro :D
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 15
4/8/2012 18:16:54   
TurkishIncubus

^ Just because i spam doesnt change the spam build. Just because i also use spam builds doesnt mean i support them. Caster mage is very fast thats why i used it.
Epic  Post #: 16
4/8/2012 18:25:43   
Wootz

Heheh, thanks DeathGuard. And hey! I'm going for 1v1 today on my alt (PloxAndWootz). Almost third place :3
I'm using a Cheap Shot build, its quite quicker then the Massacre one I used when I battles Ansh0 earlier today.
5:35 hours left! Wish me luck!
AQW Epic  Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> Fighting for Creativity
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition