Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: The Evolution of Battle Mechanics

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: The Evolution of Battle Mechanics
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/16/2012 18:43:57   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

@drek It's the RNG. It's supposed to be random. So what if you happen to have a big enough advantage to get that 40%? The RNG is not going to baby you any. There will be times it will roll under 4 each time, resulting in nothing but blocks for your opponent. What I'm asking you for is solid, hard evidence averaged out over the course of many battles, not 10 battles. Luck does nothing but average out over time. The coin flip was to demonstrate to you that using a small sample to justify your claims isn't going to work. If it did, we would have the luck formulaes changed every day because a couple people got blocked 3 times in more than one battle. Luck does average out over time. I did nowhere near 100 battles when I tested the rates and was quite satisfied about how they started matching the actual rate I calculated from stats.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 26
5/16/2012 22:19:53   
Killer666

I like this. But the stun should stay the same 30%

IGN: Killer666
http://epicduel.artix.com/charpage.asp?id=killer666
Epic  Post #: 27
5/16/2012 23:44:46   
Shadronica

@ The ND Mallet Guy. How many times are you going to repeat the same thing?

You are satisified that all is well with our RNG factor ... well I am most pleased for you.

< Message edited by Shadronica -- 5/17/2012 0:07:30 >
DF AQW Epic  Post #: 28
5/18/2012 1:37:46   
drekon
Retired ED Guest Artist

@The ND Mallet Guy, is there anything about the method I've proposed that you think would benefit the game in ways that the current method would not? Or do you feel the current system is perfect the way it is and need not be changed?

@AlphaReborn, yeah I understand where you're coming from. However, the purpose of this is to not limit the chances a player has to block, deflect, crit, or stun. This would give everyone the freedom to fully control their "luck factor". A good alternative to limiting stun to 30% would be to have an upgradable weapon with a special skill that gives the user a % chance to resist being stunned. In addition to having this equipped with Delta Armor/Weapons, and/or other items, one could reduce their opponent's stun % enough so that it's not much of a threat.
Epic  Post #: 29
5/18/2012 1:43:03   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

@drekon It's hard enough as a low level or non varium player to win battles simply because they lack the stats to get the luck factors to turn the tide of battle. What you're suggesting is making stats even more powerful in terms of affecting luck and thus would severely penalize lower levels/non variums. In short, no. The system is good as it is now, in the long term of things at least. I doubt there is much to be done about the short term.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 30
5/18/2012 4:32:14   
drinde

Hmmm. If STATS are the problem, why don't they just give like, 50% more base stats to everyone? This would lessen the enhancement gap. >.>
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 31
5/18/2012 4:43:26   
Ranloth
Banned

Yes drinde, and that'd require re-balancing all the stats because skills would do more damage, defense wouldn't be able to catch up, and we'd deal more damage. So fixing one issue at cost of few others would be bad idea..
Make enhancements NOT count towards skills at all, just defences and attack, nothing else. This brings their power down and lessens the gap too.
AQ Epic  Post #: 32
5/18/2012 4:47:10   
drinde

But... but... but.

Then STR would still reign.

*Trollfacer*: Strike-strike-strike-strike-strike...
DF MQ Epic  Post #: 33
5/18/2012 4:49:34   
Ranloth
Banned

For BMs, Fireball would not be a combo. For TMs, we'd have Casters dealing less damage. For CHs, we'd see less Dex abusing. For TLMs, we could see.. erm.. dunno about this one nor Mercs.. And for BHs.. same as TLM and Merc. See my point here?

If you wish to discuss it further, we can take it to Balance Thread or over PM. As you wish. :)
AQ Epic  Post #: 34
5/18/2012 23:26:12   
drekon
Retired ED Guest Artist

@The ND Mallet Guy, lower level players would have access to debuffing items that would enable them to effectively counter the higher percentages of more powerful players. For example, a level 5 player may equip an item that is upgradable to a maximum of 10% Connect. Reducing the effectiveness of a level 10 player's 25% block chance, should that player put all his stat points on Dexterity. Debuffing skills will also reduce the effectiveness of a player's chances, as they do now. So, the power difference is not that significant.

In fact, if you think about it, it's more fair for lower level players who don't have as much stat points as someone 5 levels higher. The combination of upgradable debuffing items would reduce the % gap significantly enough, in some cases, for lower level players to actually stand a chance at defeating higher level varium players.

Does this not seem more fair to you?

Keep in mind that the percentages (i.e. 0.5%) I used in the suggestion are merely sample figures that could be altered, if necessary, to make the Battle Mechanics even more balanced. Especially if the level caps are to be raised to level 50+. A tier system could also be implemented at certain percentages. So instead of increasing 0.5% for every Dex stat point, it would increase 0.4% for every point after 40%; and 0.3% after 60%. This would effectively lower the rate of increase of % chances without limiting them.

I hope you're able to see past the obvious and realize the true potential of the method I've proposed.
Epic  Post #: 35
5/19/2012 8:25:11   
ND Mallet
Legendary AK!!!

@drekon The problem is that I have not seen one non varium item ever get any bonuses like that or a weapon special, let alone anything at low levels. Also, what would stop higher level players from using items like that at their levels? It would be pointless to only give level 5 players item specials because stat disadvantage is at every level. And it would be pointless to give everyone those weapon specials because nothing would change at all. And varium users would presumably have better %s on their stuff anyways, thus negating the % advantage non varium gets and most likely then some.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 36
5/19/2012 20:04:14   
Camoflague MerC

@NDmallet":
"It's hard enough as a low level or non varium player to win battles simply because they lack the stats to get the luck factor to turn the tide of battle"
I thought this game was supposed to be mainly skill based not luck based?
These days in ED it seems to me all you have to do is stat abuse to win most of your battles, this is not supposed to be a luck based grinding game right?
I have just recently got back from a long break from ED because of how appalled i was about the severe inbalance particularly concerning Tac Mercs with high strength and smoke. Thankfully thats been nerfed now, but balance is still not that great, stat abuse is rife now and there needs to be something implemented to reduce the luck factor and something like agility also needs to be implemented but concerning stats abuse, because it just gets insane past a certain point.
Epic  Post #: 37
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [EpicDuel] >> EpicDuel General Discussion >> RE: The Evolution of Battle Mechanics
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition