Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The Games We Play Discussion

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> The Games We Play Discussion
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
5/29/2012 1:43:18   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

My Challenge to You!

Here is where we discuss the challenge The Games We Play.

Here is where the stories are posted.

< Message edited by Eukara Vox -- 5/29/2012 1:44:56 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
5/30/2012 17:53:01   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

Posted my story. It's been a while since I've written something that isn't pony fanfiction, so bear with me ;) I decided to take this opportunity to try and exercise my writing skills, so I'm probably more than a little rusty.

spoiler:

Obviously the game is chess. A few writer's notes.
1. Since chess originated in India, I threw "white" and "black" into Google translate to come up with the names "Safeda" (pronounced Sa-FEE-da) and "Kala" (pronounced KAH-la), which are the respective words in Hindi.
2. The infantry are the pawns, the mounted cavalry are the knights, and the chariots are the rooks, which is actually an ancient term for rooks that is still used in Chinese chess. The battle mages are bishops ("light" and "dark" squared), the wife of the ruler is the queen, and the ruler himself is the king.
3. The battle itself is based upon a random game from my chess openings book. I wanted black to play the Queen's Indian Defense, as it's a deceptively passive defense that can have a sharp counterattack. The specific game is Plaskett-Polugayevsky, Lucerne, 1985 in case you ever feel like looking it up. [1]
4. The ending was totally fabricated just to make it sound more interesting than a middle of the battle resignation :P
AQ AQW  Post #: 2
5/30/2012 19:02:45   
Mortarion

COuld this be acomodated to include games that deal with cards, solitary, etc?
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
5/30/2012 22:41:03   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

As long as you make it into a story that we have to guess at, yes, you can use a card game. I would be interested in seeing what you come up with.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
5/31/2012 5:26:14   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

@Xplayer,

spoiler:

nuh-uh, the google translater can't be better than a native.

Its not written as Safeda, its Safed and its pronounced as suh-Faed( Faed rhyming with Fade).

Black's right. Its Kala pronounced as Kaa-Laa.

Good luck with your storywriting guys.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
5/31/2012 12:05:02   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

@Arthur Dragonlord: Figures. I should have asked my old roommate, but I was too lazy. :P Thanks for the tips. I'll change it when I get the chance.
AQ AQW  Post #: 6
6/1/2012 2:38:46   
BlackAces

Well I wrote a story, mainly because Euky wanted me to :P, based on a card game I played growing up with my family and relatives. It's nothing special and now Euky can finally get off my back about posting it since I held up my end. :P

I doubt anyone can guess what card game it is, I will give you a hint though it's played with a regular 52 card deck no jokers.

< Message edited by BlackAces -- 6/1/2012 2:39:12 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 7
6/1/2012 7:37:40   
.Discipline

I posted a little story about a fun game I used to play lots as a child.

It should be pretty easy to guess what it is, I didn't make a huge attempt to disguise it. I was just trying to make a nice story from it in the style of a Nordic Folk Tale. :D

< Message edited by .Discipline -- 6/1/2012 7:38:37 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
6/2/2012 14:47:18   
  Dwelling Dragonlord

ArchKnight AQ / OOC / L&L

Posted a story, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 9
12/6/2012 6:29:51   
The Demon Mage

Do real life games count as well? ._.
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> The Games We Play Discussion
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition