Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

(DF) The Coming of the Dawn

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) The Coming of the Dawn
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/3/2012 17:51:33   
Hopeful Guy

Hope Upbringer! (DragonFable)

The Coming of the Dawn

This is about some of the adventures that The Celestial Guardians have. C&C thread is here.

Chapter 1

Varen walked through the forest. For years, ever since his parents had been blinded by the sun, he had had an aversion to light. His life had been marred by tragedies; his home had been destroyed by light elementals at the age of 6, and his parents had died later of their injuries. All he had in his life was his younger brother Adown. Adown was, at the age of 13, hardly old enough to look after himself, and his brother Varen was only 4 years older. But they had managed to stay alive for 11 years, and there was no reason why they could not continue. Or so he thought...

Varen had always wondered why the realm of light had not struck him down yet. After all, his parents must have committed some great crimes if they had been blinded for them. Yet 11 years after he became homeless, he was still alive. Was this his destiny? To undo all sin that his parents had committed? Varen hoped so; it was horrible to be persecuted by an entire realm...

Adown was blissfully unaware of the curse of the Plane of Light upon his family, being a young lad of 2 when the first disaster had struck. At the time, he was asleep, and was woken up screaming by Varen and rushed into the forest. All he remembered was a blinding flash of light. Ever since his childhood, he had feared light for that reason.

Adown had been taught by Varen how to recognise which roots were edible, and was out gathering roots. He hummed to himself a song that Varen had sung to him when he was little. He could just about recall it. It was a soft song, yet somewhat eerie.

As the trees stand up tall
And the sun is shining bright
You must know this, little one,
You always long for the night

As long as the darkness is around you
And the shadows are by your side
You will never ever cry or suffer
But from Death you cannot hide

Adown was so engrossed in singing, he hardly noticed the man in front of him. He had been stupid. He thought of Varen's words to him: "always pay attention to yours surroundings," as the man grabbed him and held him down. "Give me all you own!" the man said. Adown's instincts told him he was a man to be feared. Naturally, his clothing said as much; normal people did not roam around the forest wearing dark clothing with a bandit symbol, and a dagger in their belt

"VAREN!" Adown yelled.
The man chuckled. "No point yelling for help. I have a band of robbers with me. You see, I am Dread Bandit Leonardo, leader of the Darkwolf Bandits and the greatest robber the world has ever seen. You had better hand over all you own, or..."

"I d-don't own anything w-worth taking," Adown stuttered. "But what I do know," he said, more confidently, "is that you are an absolute jerk!" With that he quickly took out the bandit's dagger from his belt, then stabbed him. Adown had never used a dagger before; but he seemed to have a natural talent for using the weapon. Despite his tender years, he was an extremely good fighter.

As their leader lay dying, the remainder of the band regrouped and charged in. Adown stabbed one, dodged another, and punched yet another. Another bandit would have attacked then, if it wasn't for a sudden ray of light from the forest. A powerful light shield enveloped itself around Adown. By this time, Varen had arrived.

"How dare you use light against him?" he screamed at the mage making the shield. Adown had never seen his brother so angry. Spit flew from Varen's mouth as he spoke, and he ran towards the mage.

"He is not evil, Varen. His light shield saved my life," Adown replied quietly. Varen stopped in his tracks and calmed down.

"Is that so? Who are you, then?" Varen asked.

"My name... is Eragon."

< Message edited by Hopeful Guy -- 8/18/2012 9:43:32 >
DF  Post #: 1
8/3/2012 17:55:24   
Hopeful Guy

Chapter 2: Coming of a Clan

Eragon showed unusual kindness to the brothers. It was so unbelievable, that Varen wondered whether it was a trap. But Eragon seemed far too caring and compassionate to do something that cruel. Even though he was a mage of Light, he was very much trustable. Varen wondered whether his fear of Light was rational... after meeting Eragon, he had certainly grown tolerant of the element.

Over the next few days, Eragon proved invaluable as a friend. He gave Adown a dagger, after seeing him fight with the Dread Bandit, and watched proudly as Adown learnt the art of blending into the shadows as a Rogue. In the meantime, Varen had been given a sword, which he used to great effect, taking down wild gorillaphants with each swing. It was a lot easier to get food now; the gorillaphants made a good meal when skinned and cooked over a fire, which Eragon used his Light magic and some glass to make.

One day, while Varen and Adown were both hunting, Varen whispered to his younger brother, "What do you think of our new friend? I'm beginning to think that light isn't such a bad thing, after all."

"But Varen, when does light and darkness exist peacefully in Lore?" Adown asked. He was not afraid to ask such a question; he had the brave spirit of a hero.

Varen thought for a moment. "Ah, of course!" he said.

"What are you thinking?" Adown asked.

Varen looked straight at Adown. "The dawn..."

"So we were thinking, this morning, about something." Varen's words caught Eragon's attention, who had been idly fiddling with his staff.

"And what might that be?" Eragon enquired. He was interested.

"Actually, first of all, have we even introduced ourselves properly? I mean, we've not really spoken much. I'll start." Varen took a deep breath before continuing. He was avoiding the subject of that morning's discussion.

"My name is Varen Nocturne. My parents we-"

Eragon cut across him. "You're the son of THE Drake Nocturne? No need to tell me any more. I know the story."

Varen was puzzled. "How do you know my story, if I don't myself?"

"My dear boy, you are famous across Lore. It all started about 15 years ago..."

"So let me get this straight. My father was the champion of Voidstar himself, but Voidstar and Celeritas got into a massive argument after my father publicly disrespected Light, so my parents were punished by Light, which prompted Voidstar to almost start a god war, but Lorithia intervened to stop it?"

"In short: yes." Eragon was not looking forward to telling his own story, but as he was beginning, Varen interrupted. Eragon was almost grateful to Varen.

"Eragon, you have been a great friend to us. You have taught us how to use our wits, and weapons. But more importantly, you have taught us how light and darkness can exist peacefully. We are very grateful for that." Varen faltered a bit, before continuing. "That is why I think we should come together. Unite under a common cause. WE SHOULD BE THE DAWN!"

Eragon was hardly a man to say no. He had seen, over the past few days, that Varen and Adown were almost certainly destined to be great heroes. They had mastered their arts, were very friendly, and upheld the power of good. They had all the qualities of great men. So he accepted the proposal graciously and earned the undying respect of Varen and Adown.

And so the Light embraced the Darkness. The clan of the Celestial Guardians was founded by Adown Nocturne, Varen Nocturne, and Eragon Luminos. It marked perhaps the greatest moment in history. Something great had been born, on that very day. And the founders had no doubt that it would be highly succesful.

< Message edited by Hopeful Guy -- 8/4/2012 6:18:10 >
DF  Post #: 2
8/20/2012 19:17:36   
Hopeful Guy

Chapter 3: Heroes in the Making

"The Celestial Guardians," Eragon thought. He could never forget that name. Never.

It was a particularly cold evening, as the three Guardians sat under a tree, warming themselves by their fire. They had had a successful day hunting, killing three sneevils and a gorillaphant. They had duly skinned the creatures, and were now cooking them over the fire. "I haven't ever seen someone as resourceful as Varen or Adown. They managed to survive ELEVEN YEARS in this forest, without any weapons?" Eragon thought. He was almost in awe of the brothers.

"Um, Eragon? Who... are you? You were going to tell us, but we... forgot to ask you," Adown asked, curiously.

Eragon smiled. "That is a good question. Who am I? The truth, Adown, is that I am a man who has done things, perhaps, that I deeply regret." He paused, before continuing. "I always have had raw magical power; attuned to the element of Light. Sometimes, however, this power was very hard to control. I... blew up my own house, by accident. My parents were killed. It was the low of my entire life. After all those happy moments..." Tears trickled down Eragon's face. "I only just escaped. At the time, I was 14 years old; only slightly older than you, Adown. Now, I am 26 years old."

"But how did you survive?" Adown asked, impatiently.

"I'm coming to that. I was found by a bandit, like the people who attacked you. He was about 6 years older than me, and he wasn't your average bandit. He was friendly. He told me he didn't actually want to attack other people, and he only did because his father, a famous bandit, forced him to. His name was Mort. We ran away from the bandit camp together. Then he disappeared. I will never forget him.

"Speak of the devil and he doth come!" grinned a bandit. He was standing a few metres away from the tree. Eragon's expression was hard to tell, as his face was covered in Sneevil sauce, but it seemed like a mixture of shock, elation, confusion, and disbelief.

"But... how? How did you find me, Mort?"

Mort chuckled. "News travels fast in the bandit world." He sat down. "We got told a week ago that a light mage and the Nocturne brothers killed lots of the Darkwolf bandits. The chief bandit, my father, wanted revenge, because the two bands were allied. I've been searching for you, and I'm meant to kill you. I wouldn't have agreed to do it, but I had a feeling. The only light mage I knew who would be in the forest was you. So I agreed to search this area. And I found you. I've been sitting around watching you for maybe half an hour."

"How did you get here?"

"I flew on a flying pig." Mort grinned. "Seriously! There's a guy called Kaiquef who has this power over pigs."
Kaiquef was a burly man, wielding a bacon element scythe. He grunted a brief greeting to everyone, then went back to repairing his scythe.

"Wait, twelve years ago you were with me. How did you get back with the bandits?" Eragon asked curiously.

Mort sighed. He began the tale. "That day, while you were busy having your lie-in, I was out. Collecting firewood and stuff. Then my dad turned up. He'd been searching for the whole of the month or so we managed to stay out for. He flogged me that night. Pretty badly."

"Oh, Mort..." Eragon whispered.

"Hey, it's OK. So, you got any news for me?"

Varen spoke up, hesitantly. "So, Mort, I'm Varen Nocturne, and this is my brother Adown. We, along with Eragon, are the Celestial Guardians. An organisation that works for the unity of Light and Darkness, uniting under the Dawn. I'm guessing you don't want to go back to the bandits?" Mort shook his head. "Why don't you join then?"

Mort was almost at a loss for words. "That... actually sounds quite good. Sign me up under Darkness, please."

Varen smiled. "Done. Come and meet us in the clan hut."

"Oh, I almost forgot. I reckon Kaiquef would be a good asset to the clan. Maybe he could provide the clan transport."

Kaiquef spoke for the second time. "I'd be happy to. If you've got a spot under Light, I'd like to join."

< Message edited by Hopeful Guy -- 8/28/2012 11:51:54 >
DF  Post #: 3
9/3/2012 8:08:08   
Hopeful Guy

Chapter 4: Tragedy

The Celestial Guardians were happy.

"Happy?" thought Rob, their newest member. "What is happiness, anyway?

As a Soulweaver, Rob had seen a lot of terrible things. His best friend had passed on; he was killed by a ChaosWeaver. The very thought of it brought a tear to his eye. But there was worse to come. Much worse. If only he had known...

Adown was almost the "baby" of the clan. At just 13 years of age, he was by far the youngest of the clan. Varen, despite not being of age, was more respected among his clan mates. But Adown was an incredibly good fighter; give him a dagger and he could kill most monsters. He could sneak up behind an enemy and backstab them, or he could fight in open combat. Neither bothered him.

But that day, Rob had an uneasy gut feeling. Ever since he had first met Greed, he had learnt to follow his instincts. And today, everything inside him told him that there was impending danger.

It was Adown's turn to collect the firewood, and because he was so young, Rob volunteered to go with him. Varen came with them, simply out of boredom. They went into the forest.

Evil.

Evil was present in the forest. Rob could feel it in his bones. Even Varen felt worried. Only Adown was oblivious to the dread that enveloped the others. There was a hidden presence in that forest, something terrifying.

"Welcome, heroes," a voice rumbled. It seemed to come from all around them. At that moment, everyone knew that they had only one hope. They ran.

They sprinted, away from the voice, away from the terror that would surely kill them. The voice laughed. "Say hello to my army," the Terror said. "You are surrounded by elementals."

At that moment, the threesome came back to their senses. They fought like never before. Varen summoned pure walls of darkness to destroy the light elementals. Adown stabbed the elementals, taking out one with each strike. Rob wove so fast he created an arc of pure power around the entire forest. But it wasn't enough.

With that one blow, all hope faded. A light elemental had stabbed Adown in the back. Varen ran to him.

"No! NO! Adown, wake up. ADOWN?" Tears trickled down Varen's cheeks. "Do something, Rob! Please!"

"I can't save him." Varen wept uncontrollably. "But I can release him."

He wove a thin thread of spirit around Adown's lifeless body. Adown gave a small sigh, before he collapsed.
DF  Post #: 4
11/20/2012 14:40:39   
Hopeful Guy

Chapter 5: A New Beginning

As Womba sat on a tree stump, next to his pet pony, he wondered absently about what would happen now. Womba and Lloyd, an Ice elementalist, were the newest members of the clan, and at such a time it was important for somebody to step up and take authority, as Varen was still grieving over Adown, the fallen hero. Womba decided that Varen would need someone to help him as a co-leader.

Womba was a friendly kind of guy, who had a certain flair for dramatic entrances. He had stunned the entire clan by flying in on his trusty blue steed Rainbow Dash. He had a number of loves; dramatic entrances, ponies, lightning, ponies, blue, and of course, ponies. Several members appeared to think Rainbow Dash was a pure creature of evil; Womba had only just managed to persuade Lloyd not to freeze him.

"They fight monsters everyday, but they're scared of a PONY?" Womba muttered. "Those monsters eat ponies alive! But I would never let that happen to you." This last sentence was addressed to Rainbow, who had whinnied, scared, at the words "eat ponies".

"Rainbow, take me back to the clan camp!" Womba yelled.

Lloyd rubbed his eyes. For years, he'd been the quiet kind of guy who took a seat on the back bench and no-one ever heard him speak. He wanted to prove, not just to others, but to himself as well, that he could be IMPORTANT. For the moment he was just a quiet guy, who no-one took much notice of.

The only reason he was even in the clan was because his tutors at the hero academy realised that he was good with ice. He could freeze just about anything. But so far, he had only used his power to make ice-creams.

"Wasted ability," he thought. "That's all I have. Wasted ability."

That day, a strange person who seemed to almost radiate light and hope visited the camp. Everyone took an instant liking to him. He was almost impossible to dislike. When Varen asked him his name, he grinned, and replied "Call me Hopeful Guy."

To Varen, though, this was slightly intriguing. He knew that Hopeful certainly SEEMED friendly, but Hopeful Guy was surely not his real name. If not, what was it? And how did he command such incredible power? Varen put the thoughts to the back of his mind for now. He had more important things to think about.

But to Eragon, this was very intriguing. He had only once met a person radiating such power... and that was on his travels to this place... could he be the same one? It had been an incredible meeting, that had spurred him on to get to this place. It had given him hope.

"Hope." Eragon realised. The two both had incredible light power, both commanded hope... Eragon now had a theory that he was reasonably sure of. He sat down near the fountain, thinking through his theory.

Did they both have power over light? Yes...
Did they both give people new hope? Yes...
Did they look similar? Eragon wasn't sure...
Were they both very powerful? Seemingly...

He made a mental note to ask Hopeful about it some time. For now, though, he was more concerned about Rob and Mort, who had gone out to clear a field of monsters and hadn't returned...

< Message edited by Hopeful Guy -- 11/20/2012 16:43:23 >
DF  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> (DF) The Coming of the Dawn
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition